PDA

View Full Version : Condo Question

gettysburgfreak
08-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Since I am moving at the end of November I have had to start looking for an apartment. Currently I am living in a brand new 1000 square foot apartment and love it. I am an avid golfer and found a condo overlooking a pretty nice golf course up in Lynden, Washington. It sounds great but its not furnished and its only 688 square feet which includes the downstairs living area, kitchen, and bathroom downstairs, a bedroom and another bathroom upstairs. Is 688 going to feel really cramped? Input would be appreciated. Here is a link to the guy's condo.

http://www.whatcomvacationrentals.com

BlackDog
08-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Personally, I'd be OK with it if I were single. But a lot would depend upon the floor plan. I hate small rooms. If it has an open floor plan, and has good natural light, I'd probably be good with it.

hotreds
08-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Smoking allowed?

Goldie
08-31-2010, 09:49 PM
Those look like a really nice place to live, but if you are single 688sqft doesn't seem too bad to me.

Just as long as there is room for your humidor :)

CasaDooley
08-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Looks to be non smoking. Bad mojo:r

Samsquanch
08-31-2010, 10:05 PM
My wife and I share a one bedroom 700 sq foot apt and are fine with it. We like our layout because the living room is pretty large and that's where we spend most of our waking hours. I think if you're by yourself you should find it plenty big, especially with the great amenities, you won't be in the apt too much! Best of luck!

gettysburgfreak
09-01-2010, 04:40 AM
It does have two patios one on the main floor and one off the bedroom upstairs. I would assume I could smoke on those. I am just concerned that it will be really cramped after I get furniture in there and also the lack of storage space. I have a lot of gear just for work alone, plus all my personal stuff that I crammed in my car when I moved down to Texas.

bigliver
09-01-2010, 04:54 AM
As has been stated. I think it really depends on the layout. I have moved a lot in the last 15 years and I can tell you that you can make anything work. And with it not being furnished, you can do so in a way that will maximize your space. Just my :2

elderboy02
09-01-2010, 04:57 AM
$2100 a month seems very high. :2

mosesbotbol
09-01-2010, 05:34 AM
It's totally doable for two people. The condo has a decent lay-out. Hallway's kill a condo for space and this unit looks modest on hallway space.

Be smart with your furniture picks and remember "less is more" when it comes to living in such spaces. Pick modern furniture with a small foot print. No double stuffed big sofas and like. I have lived in a few similarly sized condos. It's all about picking the right stuff to decorate.

Living a on golf course with that kind of view is worth giving up some space. Think of how much space is really wasted in larger places? Not every foot is really lived in either way.

I would think about the condo fee and heat. Looks like it could be electric heat.

Subvet642
09-01-2010, 06:57 AM

:tpd: I live near Boston, one of the most expensive places in the country and I bought a condo, 1400 sq ft plus 300 sq ft of in-unit storage, and my mortgage plus taxes are about as much as that rent.

Eleven
09-01-2010, 07:02 AM
"This is a non-smoking facility. A $500 cleaning fee will be charged if this policy is violated"

sucks.

jmsremax
09-01-2010, 07:05 AM

To me that is and I live in Boston.....how much is the association fee? That is something that would be a major factor to me.

mosesbotbol
09-01-2010, 07:25 AM
My buddy is paying $1600 a month condo fee on a 1500 sq ft condo in Boston, so it is all relative.

A $500 cleaning fee if one time for smoking does not sound that bad.

HK3-
09-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Not bad. Question is, will all of your current stuff fit in a down sized place?

Go for it! :tu

BigCat
09-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Before we were married, my wife had a 600 square foot place. It was fine when we'd spend the weekends together. It is just all the more important to keep it clean - the walls close in more quickly when dishes pile up, etc.

mosesbotbol
09-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Before we were married, my wife had a 600 square foot place. It was fine when we'd spend the weekends together. It is just all the more important to keep it clean - the walls close in more quickly when dishes pile up, etc.

Tell me about it. Makes for throwing things out immediately so much easier. All the pack ratting I did before I moved to my current place; yikes!

chippewastud79
09-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Isn't this a vacation rental, not a residential rental? :hm

gettysburgfreak
09-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Isn't this a vacation rental, not a residential rental? :hm

The guy said he normally does just vacation rentals but has been thinking about doing a year lease which is what I was considering. If it was listed as a vacation rental does that mean I would be violating some law if I lived in it longer term? As far as rent, the guy said we could do $1,100/month which includes all utilities, comcast cable, and wireless internet.

chippewastud79
09-01-2010, 04:48 PM
The guy said he normally does just vacation rentals but has been thinking about doing a year lease which is what I was considering. If it was listed as a vacation rental does that mean I would be violating some law if I lived in it longer term? As far as rent, the guy said we could do $1,100/month which includes all utilities, comcast cable, and wireless internet.

A rental is a rental as far as the law is concerned. If it is zoned to be residential or vacation rental it shouldn't matter. I would be careful with the lease he has you sign however, since his standard lease is probably geared towards short term tenants rather than year long. Be sure you read through it and make sure that everything is geared towards longer term tenancy. :tu

mosesbotbol
09-01-2010, 05:50 PM
I would be careful with the lease he has you sign however, since his standard lease is probably geared towards short term tenants rather than year long. Be sure you read through it and make sure that everything is geared towards longer term tenancy. :tu

Make sure it is your state standard tennant lease as he mentions above. Pay great attention to any addendums to the lease. If you are paying a security deposit, make sure it is spelled out what it can be used for. I suggest taking a video camera scan of the whole apartment before you move in. Get the all the carpets, kitchen area, bathrooms and ceiling. Make spoken notes on any damage, no matter how small.

You mentioned earlier that there was no smoking or a $500 cleaning fee. That is less than $50 a month to smoke inside; I would do it.

gettysburgfreak
09-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Make sure it is your state standard tennant lease as he mentions above. Pay great attention to any addendums to the lease. If you are paying a security deposit, make sure it is spelled out what it can be used for. I suggest taking a video camera scan of the whole apartment before you move in. Get the all the carpets, kitchen area, bathrooms and ceiling. Make spoken notes on any damage, no matter how small.

You mentioned earlier that there was no smoking or a $500 cleaning fee. That is less than $50 a month to smoke inside; I would do it.

Thanks for the tips, if I end up doing it I will look it over and if I have questions I will ask you guys, you seem to know what your talking about. As for the smoking, I would have two patios overlooking the green so I would probably smoke outside, I have never had the luxury of smoking indoors so thats no biggie to me.

chippewastud79
09-01-2010, 06:25 PM

In my opinion, state standard leases suck, but then again I am speaking from an owners perspective. But do read about the deposit, sometimes it can be used to cover cleaning, sometimes only damages. Make sure you know whether it is completely refundable or if some of it is already kept for cleaning. :tu

gettysburgfreak
09-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks again for everyone's help. I was going to take the condo when I found a new place which I have accepted. They were trying to sell it but due to the bad market have been unable to sell so they agreed to rent it out to me for 6 months and then an option to renew. Its fully furnished, 1200 sf, 2 bedrooms. All utilities included, only thing I have to pay for is cable/internet.

Windermere.com under MLS #29167090

chippewastud79
09-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks again for everyone's help. I was going to take the condo when I found a new place which I have accepted. They were trying to sell it but due to the bad market have been unable to sell so they agreed to rent it out to me for 6 months and then an option to renew. Its fully furnished, 1200 sf, 2 bedrooms. All utilities included, only thing I have to pay for is cable/internet.

Windermere.com under MLS #29167090

Sounds like a very nice find. The same applies for the lease, be sure to look it over carefully and how and what the deposit can be used for. :tu