PDA

View Full Version : Cigar Reviews and Prices

Shemp Howard
08-29-2010, 09:54 PM
I am new to this forum but been lurking around a bit.Currently I am in Baghdad, Iraq supporting the troops as a military contractor. I have noticed something about cigar reviews. Somebody has to bring the price into the mix. Now this in just my thoughts and views and not intended to inflame the masses. I like to read the reviews of different cigars especially ones I am considering trying out. Price some how enters into the picture on occasion. I have read reviews where the reviewer likes the cigar and then criticizes the price. Honestly I don't see where this is relivent. I smoke cigars ranging in price from a couple bucks to over thirty a stick. I don't care about the cost as long as I like it. Everybodies wallet is different. What I consider "normal" as for as cost someone else will consider it excessive. I respect that. If someone likes your review and is interested in trying it out based on your review they will Google it and check out the cost themselves. If I ever do a review you won't read about cost, it's all relative anyway. What you will read about is whether or not I enjoyed it, not how much it set me back. Again, this is not intended to inflame the masses.

pnoon
08-29-2010, 10:10 PM
I couldn't disagree more. I think price is an integral part of perceived value. Does it change the quality of the stick? Of course not. But, assuming I trust/value your reviews, I would be inclined to spend money on a $3 stick you found to be just above average vs. a stick with the same review but sold for $30.

:2

Shemp Howard
08-29-2010, 10:49 PM
I guess we will agree to disagree. I have read the reviews of many cigars only to see someone say they liked it but it was over priced. It might be over priced to them and that's cool, but to me it is not an issue. It's supposed to be a "cigar" review, not a "price" review. If I liked your review and I am interested in trying it out I will do my homework on the rest.

icehog3
08-29-2010, 10:55 PM
To each his own....if one wants to mention the price, great. If not, great. I ain't gonna stress over it. :2

awsmith4
08-29-2010, 11:13 PM
I think price does make a difference.

First let me say a cigar HAS to taste good and to me that is king, but taste is more than one sensation. A cigar may be have a single taste that shines through but stays consistent the whole smoke, I would call that one dimensional. Now if you like that one dimension, Score! But a pricier stick to me should be more dynamic and be complex but a cheaper smoke can be less complex and I'll still find appreciation.

A very close second factor is construction. When a cigar cost me a pretty penny it better burn and draw to my liking. But if I am smoking a cheap cigar and it tastes good (most important) I might look over the fact that it has an uneven burn or is slightly plugged.

In summary my opinion is if a cheap cigar tastes good and is constructed decently I am pleased, if it is expensive it needs to be complex and well constructed to justify the cost.

ABNMP619
08-30-2010, 12:01 AM
I will be honest with you all, I think cigars are like shoes in today's market; you are only paying for the name! I have smoked cigars that were rated 95+ and as I go to purchase them they were only like $2.00 a stick. Damn good stick and cheap in price. Price is not everything, but if a cigar is that awesome, then I will pull the cash out. Sometimes I think we get robbed at smokers!

Shemp Howard
08-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Oh no doubt we pay for a name. Name doesn't of course mean you will like it. I love some but not all of the Ashton line. Thy might be a little on the expensive side to some but not to me. I might be going to a B&M and pay out the nose and you go online and find the same one at a hefty discount. I will enjoy mine as much as you will even if I paid more per stick than you. Price has absolutely no bearing on the enjoyment.

Goldie
08-30-2010, 12:39 AM
I agree that price does not change the quality of a cigar, however I think it does play a (significant for some) role in the enjoyment of a cigar.

If I pay $5 for a stick, and it's good, I am happy, and would smoke more of 'em. If I pay $20, $25+ for a stick and it's mediocre, I'm pissed. The price doesn't change the quality of the stick, but it plays a big role in my enjoyment and overall opinion of a stick.

I don't know if there is a worst feeling than being excited about something and it turns out sub par.

My unprofessional $0.02.

bobarian
08-30-2010, 12:55 AM
Price is definitely part of the process. Whether reviewing or purchasing, the price of a cigar does make a difference. Higher prices reflect both cost of production(including branding), demand and relative scarcity. But price alone does not determine quality. There are those that smoke expensive cigars regardless of quality, fortunately these snobbish smokers are few and far between. Most of us prefer to find value in cigars and on life.

Bill86
08-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Price is definitely part of the process. Whether reviewing or purchasing, the price of a cigar does make a difference. Higher prices reflect both cost of production(including branding), demand and relative scarcity. But price alone does not determine quality. There are those that smoke expensive cigars regardless of quality, fortunately these snobbish smokers are few and far between. Most of us prefer to find value in cigars and on life.

I agree that price does not change the quality of a cigar, however I think it does play a (significant for some) role in the enjoyment of a cigar.

If I pay $5 for a stick, and it's good, I am happy, and would smoke more of 'em. If I pay $20, $25+ for a stick and it's mediocre, I'm pissed. The price doesn't change the quality of the stick, but it plays a big role in my enjoyment and overall opinion of a stick.

I don't know if there is a worst feeling than being excited about something and it turns out sub par.

My unprofessional $0.02.

I couldn't disagree more. I think price is an integral part of perceived value. Does it change the quality of the stick? Of course not. But, assuming I trust/value your reviews, I would be inclined to spend money on a $3 stick you found to be just above average vs. a stick with the same review but sold for $30.

I agree with the masses, it's important. I smoked a $12 fuentes it was SO-SO. For $2-3 more I smoked a Montecristo and Tatuaje...blew my mind. Price definitely is a big selling point. I bought another tat and I'm getting another monte....not buying that fuentes, got a short story instead (cheaper and better).

bigliver
08-30-2010, 02:22 AM
I will enjoy mine as much as you will even if I paid more per stick than you. Price has absolutely no bearing on the enjoyment.

Price is in no way a reflection of the taste of a cigar. It has no bearing on how I interpret the flavors and nuances of a given stick. But on the subject of enjoyment, I will enjoy any cigar much more when I feel the price paid is comparable to the quality and flavor I am getting out of the cigar. If I feel I overpaid compared to these factors, I will not enjoy the cigar as much, as I could find cigars that suit my liking better for a lesser premium. Many sticks these days are overhyped. Many more are worth the commanding price tag. I don't make enough money to get my hands on all the cigars I want now. As such, I must find a balance between what I really like and how much I am willing to pay. Price has more bearing for me on my enjoyment of a cigar. My money is too hard to come by. Just my :2.

Don Fernando
08-30-2010, 02:49 AM
and what price would you mention? mrsp? or what you actually paid for it? What if you got it on a sale, would you mention the sale price or the normal price? And you have to post in which state you bought it, as taxes are different everywhere. Every B&M asks different prices for cigars, and not to mention people like me, who live in a whole different country with again, different taxes and prices.

Posting prices raises more questions than it answers.

Bill86
08-30-2010, 02:51 AM
The price you pay you simply post it and what you think about the cigar for the price....if you say XXX cigar cost me $13.50 and it's fantastic, someone paying $15 might not find it a bad value either. Or If they can get it for less would DEFINITELY pick it up. If someone finds it for $20....they might not be so inclined as to buy it.

bigdix
08-30-2010, 03:00 AM

:tpd: What he said.

Don Fernando
08-30-2010, 03:01 AM
but then, that same guy that doesn't want to pay $20 goes online and finds it for $10, that might change his opinion. For example, if I post the price of what a Padron 1926 (close to €100) or 1964 anni costs here in The Netherlands in one of my reviews, nobody would think about buying those cigars anymore, while they can be bought online in the US for much less. So naming that price is unfair too. That's why I hardly ever mention a price and I'll keep it that way.

Shemp Howard
08-30-2010, 03:51 AM
So the way I'm reading this that a majority of people are thinking about how much they paid or didn't pay while smoking their cigars instead of enjoying the hour or so it will take to burn it. Also, price will dictate whether or not it is enjoyable. WOW! REALLY? I guess I am one of the minority because cost just doesn't make it or break it for me. If I enjoyed it I will buy more. If I didn't I won't touch another, even if were free.

pnoon
08-30-2010, 06:41 AM
So the way I'm reading this that a majority of people are thinking about how much they paid or didn't pay while smoking their cigars instead of enjoying the hour or so it will take to burn it.

No. I think you're missing the point.
As Tom said, it's not worth stressing over.

Yardgnome
08-30-2010, 06:51 AM
I generally don't pay attention to the price on cigars anymore, I found that when I was carefully watching price that I would not enjoy cigars nearly as much I as I do now.

Skywalker
08-30-2010, 07:00 AM
I almost always mention price in my reviews, even if it was gift. I'm a person seeking good value. This includes the quality of the cigar and the price.

I have never stressed about the price of a cigar. Enjoying a cigar and doing a review are very different for me. If I'm going to relax with a cigar then I don't pick up a a pen, pad of paper, or camera.

I'm glad price is not an issue for the op.:tu For some of us it is.;)

Dunkel
08-30-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm glad that you have a fat wallet and you say "It might be over priced to them and that's cool, but to me it is not an issue". We are very happy that you make alot of money. We also thank you for sharing that information with us, over and over again. "Smoke what you like, like what you smoke"

The fact that you have an issue with people who mention price in their reviews says alot about you. Make your own reviews before you criticize others who have taken their time to share their experience and opinions with the rest of us. :2

bigdix
08-30-2010, 07:27 AM

:tpd: x2 ....anyone wanna close this one up?

itzfrank
08-30-2010, 07:43 AM

It's been said numerous times already. Secondly, reviews are personal opinions. If the user feels that it wasn't worth the money spent then he's allowed to post that. A $30 mediocre stick is not the same as a $7 mediocre stick. Perhaps next you'll say you don't like people giving reviews on the "presentation" of the cigar they're smoking because it has nothing to do with how it smokes.

Again, all personal opinion. Just as the value of the stick may not speak for what everyone thinks, neither does the flavor of the stick. Let's try not to get so picky.

marge796
08-30-2010, 07:51 AM

I agree Peter, like you, its only my :2

:tu

Brooks W
08-30-2010, 08:03 AM
While I mention the price of each cigar in my reviews, I do NOT take price (or "how hard it is to find this cigar") into account when giving a final score...

The reason is simple...I want to focus all of my attention on reviewing the flavors of the cigar, and price just gets in the way of that.

The reason I post the price of the cigars is so that every person who reads the review can make their own choices...Is this cigar worth what is being charged?

Only you can make that determination.

~brooks

icehog3
08-30-2010, 08:19 AM
So the way I'm reading this that a majority of people are thinking about how much they paid or didn't pay while smoking their cigars instead of enjoying the hour or so it will take to burn it. Also, price will dictate whether or not it is enjoyable. WOW! REALLY? I guess I am one of the minority because cost just doesn't make it or break it for me. If I enjoyed it I will buy more. If I didn't I won't touch another, even if were free.

You are absolutely missing the point. Don't think about price for a minute when smoking, I think about the cigar, the company, the conversation. I don't stress over the price of the cigar.

I also don't stress if others choose to put the price of the cigar they are reviewing in their review. I could care less either way...but people have had the option to do either/or for years beween Cigar Asylum and Club Stogie, I see no reason to change or stress over it now.

NCRadioMan
08-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Seriously? Why would it matter if somebody states the price they paid for a cigar in a review? :r

Hell, I would think a review would include price just like any review of any product you might consider purchasing. Whether it does or don't, meh. Never really thought about it. :r

Ranger_B
08-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Just my :2 but as said before the price has to come into the equation at some point. The mere fact that a review is being done means that it is in some way or shape being compared to other cigars. In flavor, construction, availability as well as price a cigar is reviewed. Price point may be different for some. In the end as Freud said "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

neoflex
08-30-2010, 09:31 AM
If I light my cigar with a $100 bill which some might think is excessive but I do two to three times a day should I put this into my review? J/K but seriously if someone includes the price of the stick it doesn't bother me either way but I will take price into consideration when choosing whether to try a smoke or not if most of the reviews tell me it's just mediocre at best. If a group of people post reviews of a $25-$30 smoke and the majority of the reviews are saying that the cigar was less than stellar and mediocre at best than I will not waste my time or money purchasing one or seeking one out where as if a $5-$6 cigar gets the same review chances are I will skip it but I will also not be afraid to spend the money to try it myself if I happen to stumble upon one where as the pricier sticks will never get considered. Life is to short to smoke shi**y cigars and even shorter to smoke over priced shi**y cigars.

Emjaysmash
08-30-2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/images/emoticons/037.gif

Isom-niac2
08-30-2010, 12:19 PM
I think the price of a cigar is sometimes the first thing we think about and sometimes the last. If I buy a Coh Gran Reserve, I'm thinking please, please, please, be a "great" smoke so I feel like I got my $$$$ worth. If it's a terrible smoke, I'm thinking "boy that was a waste of money," and prolly kickin myself thinking bout all the good chit I coulda bought! :confused:

I think it's natural to want to get your monies worth and at the same time the more expensive, the higher our expectations. Some say they don't care about the price, but if the best smokes were less than $5, coupled with our best experiences, there would be far less cigar companies for sure!

tx_tuff
08-30-2010, 12:27 PM
No matter what kind of review you are reading rather its a cigar or a car there is always a mention of price. Back to the original post, if I read a review and it sounds like it is something I want to try why should I have to look it up to find any info on it? I think a review should include price along with type of tobacco used for wrapper, binder and filler. I hate reading a review and then not seeing that info in it. Just my 2 cents.

tsolomon
08-30-2010, 12:32 PM
A cigar is either good or it's not. The price may be an issue for some and can either add or substract from your enjoyment, but it doesn't change the way the cigar smokes or tastes.

MajorCaptSilly
08-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Just to keep it simple: I know people who won't pay more than $5.00 for a cigar no matter how good it is. $5.00 is the most they will ever spend on a cigar. If they are reading a review, they will skim to the price. If it is $5.00 or less, they will read the review as it is smomething they may want to try. If it is more than $5.00, they will not read the review as it is more costly than their spending limit.

MCS

d'am
08-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I want to know how the cigars scored both of price, but I also want to know how the cigar scores when compared to similarly priced sticks.

Like many here have said, prices can change drastically. If you score a cigar based on price, will you update your score when the price changes? No. So price can't be a part of an accurate rating.

On the flip side, if the reviewer ignores the price and rates all cigars from an equal footing, my favorite $3 sticks would get an abysmal ratings. So yes, price has to come in to the equation somewhere.

There's a fine line here, and some reviewers do a better job than others.

Brooks W
08-30-2010, 04:02 PM
On the flip side, if the reviewer ignores the price and rates all cigars from an equal footing, my favorite $3 sticks would get an abysmal ratings. So yes, price has to come in to the equation somewhere.

Why? If a cigar tastes like crap, but costs $3, are you really thinking to yourself as you smoke it "Wow, this is crappy, but at least it was only $3"?

If a cigar tastes like crap, it does not matter how little (or how much) it costs, it still tastes like crap. Anything else is just justification of some sort.

I have tasted some great $2 cigars (like the newish Origen Original) and I have smoked some absolute Craptastic $750 cigars (see my review of the HMR for details).

There MUST be a baseline in any review, and taste (or flavor if you prefer) is the ultimate qualifier...

~brooks

d'am
08-30-2010, 09:46 PM
There MUST be a baseline in any review, and taste (or flavor if you prefer) is the ultimate qualifier...

~brooks

I agree that taste is the ultimate qualifier, but it can't be the only qualifier. What if someone reviews a $5 and $10 stick, and rates them both "90" without regard to price? That's fine, but I would be more interested in the $5 stick. I'm not saying that the price should influence the score, but I'd like the reviewer to point out a comparative bargain.

Ogre
08-31-2010, 07:53 AM
The price of a cigar does net effect the initial purchase and trial. For purchases in the future it does. Example, the Ashton VSG is a good cigar to me, just not worth $20+ dollars. The AVO Maduro Torpido is a great cigar $11, the price does not let me smoke one everyday. Tampa Sweethearts great stick at $2. So price does play a factor in purchases.

Bax
08-31-2010, 08:08 AM
1 picture is worth a thousand words :D

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p78/bauxyeux/stradivarius.gif

md4958
08-31-2010, 10:11 AM
For casual smoking the price isn't important to me. Reviews however are different because I'm judging the cigar, and offering my opinion to thousands of others. A $30 cigar should not smoke like a $3 cigar. They are in a different class. Just like you can't fairly compare a Yaris to a Lexus even though, they are both Toyota, and will get you to the same spot.

Brooks W
08-31-2010, 10:26 AM
I agree that taste is the ultimate qualifier, but it can't be the only qualifier. What if someone reviews a $5 and $10 stick, and rates them both "90" without regard to price? That's fine, but I would be more interested in the $5 stick. I'm not saying that the price should influence the score, but I'd like the reviewer to point out a comparative bargain.

And I agree that the price should be mentioned in the review somewhere, but I think it is asinine to deduct (or give) more points to a cigar in a review, just because of price (or better yet, because of how hard a cigar is to find).

The review should be about flavor, (and construction) and nothing else...why?

(The use of the words "You" and "I" in the following comments are meant to be taken as "Everyone" not a specific person): Well, just because a cigar is expensive for you (anyone) does not mean it is expensive to me (anyone else) ...and those HTF cigars that you (anyone) just deducted points for being "Too hard to find"? I (anyone else) can go 10 minutes down the road and buy 15 boxes of them...

~brooks

d'am
08-31-2010, 05:11 PM
And I agree that the price should be mentioned in the review somewhere, but I think it is asinine to deduct (or give) more points to a cigar in a review, just because of price (or better yet, because of how hard a cigar is to find).

Excellent. We agree on this point.

The review should be about flavor, (and construction) and nothing else...why?

I think you're confusing "review" with "score." A cigar must be scored independent of its price for the exact reasons you've mentioned. But the price deserves a mention somewhere in the review. A $3 stick that holds its own against respected $10 sticks should not score higher simply because of its value, but the bargain certainly deserves an honorable mention.

bishjd123
09-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I think the price helps the review from a value perspective. A $3 stick may be a good value by the rater, but if the going rate is $8 I might think twice about trying it until I can find it cheaper. That's not to say that I won't try a $15 - $20 dollar stick either, but I won't do it blindly. When I read a review I like to see if the reviewer felt that the going rate for the smoke was worth it or not.

itzfrank
09-01-2010, 12:51 PM
A $30 cigar should not smoke like a $3 cigar. They are in a different class. Just like you can't fairly compare a Yaris to a Lexus even though, they are both Toyota, and will get you to the same spot.

I think this is a bad comparison because the only difference between Yaris, Toyota and Lexus is the materials used for the trim inside. There's a reason that Lexus is known for their "service" AND it's not because they make fantastic cars. :2

md4958
09-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I think this is a bad comparison because the only difference between Yaris, Toyota and Lexus is the materials used for the trim inside. There's a reason that Lexus is known for their "service" AND it's not because they make fantastic cars. :2

point completely missed :rolleyes:

jmsremax
09-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Not true at all.....

Camry vs ES series are the closest you get to being the same. The LS series is far superior than the Avalon (in more ways than trim). Toyota Corp has one of the most sound service AND quality.....there's a reason they are the number one car company.

But I digress from what the argument was.

T.G
09-01-2010, 01:50 PM
You know what grinds my gears?

Reviews. Scores. Descriptions. All that superfluous fluff.

Screw that.

Just the name of the cigar, a picture of the band (because bands are cool and you can tell a good cigar by the band) and the price.

pnoon
09-01-2010, 02:30 PM
You know what grinds my gears?

Reviews. Scores. Descriptions. All that superfluous fluff.

Screw that.

Just the name of the cigar, a picture of the band (because bands are cool and you can tell a good cigar by the band) and the price.

Gurkha FTW.

T.G
09-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Gurkha FTW.

YESSSSSSS !!!!

And I like to rotate the cigar a lot when I smoke it, so that way everyone can see the band and see how my cigar is so much better than theirs because it costs more and has a great band.

Da Klugs
09-01-2010, 02:39 PM
:r

Price in reviews? Maybe for reg production current stuff it can add value to the perspective.

Other stuff... no reason for it. Things can get wierd and sometimes its better not to know or have to admit depending on the perspective.

Plus... what:tfif wives secretly read here?

BigAsh
09-01-2010, 02:44 PM
:r

Plus... what:tfif wives secretly read here?

really the ONLY relevant point....you can close this now...:D

Bax
09-01-2010, 02:52 PM

So the only difference between a Yaris and an LS430 is the interior trim? NOT

BTW ...Lexus are fantastic cars. But the point of the car comparisson was you expect more out of a 60,000 Benz than out of a 14,000 Chevy. The price becomes the MAIN issue. If you dropped 55,000 on a Shelby 500 and it's getting it's butt handed to it on a race course by a little turbo Honda that cost a third... you'd be pissed.

longknocker
09-01-2010, 05:05 PM

:tu When I First Started Doing Reviews, I Left Off The Price. A Fellow BOTL PM'd Me Asking For The Price As This Would Definitely Influence Him In His Decision To Buy Or Not.:2