PDA

View Full Version : Mont Blanc Pens

DrDubzz
08-26-2010, 06:50 PM
(And other nice pens)

I figured there has to be a couple of folks on here with MB pens. I was curious where you felt the best place to buy one would be (ie best price while ensuring authenticity)

My profession involves lots and lots of writing, and I have a couple nice pens, but obviously MB is the granddaddy of them all (imo), so I'd like to pick one up this upcoming holiday season.

I think I would prefer a rollerball as a fountain is not great for quick jotting of prescriptions and the like, plus I have a pretty nice fountain pen as it is.

Anyway, any insight is appreciated

floydpink
08-26-2010, 06:58 PM
I recieved one about 12 years ago from the groom who gave them to all of us in the wedding party. Nice gift to say the least and the wedding was one of the best I have ever been to and was on the beach in Delray Beach and must have cost tons.

As part of my ritual each day while dressing for work, it goes in my front pocket.

For some odd reason, the ink cartridges last an extroidinarily long time and I visit the Mont Blanc store in the mall to replace them once a year max.. Doubt I would buy a new one anywhere else, nor would i feel right using anything but a MB replacement for ink. (sorta like putting Japanese parts on a Harley I guess)

Mine gets more comments than my Rolex and I have had to chase down a few clients who "mistakenly" walk off with it after signing documents.

I'm a bit biased, but believe there are certain accessories that just fit right, and are worth the price and Mont Blanc is one of those things.

It's been so long, I was curious by this thread as to what they cost and found the exact same one I own on Ebay and was a little shocked.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MONT-BLANC-MEISTERSTUCK-RESIN-GOLD-164-BP-PEN-10883-/140445498273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

I love it on me at work where I feel image is very important, but after work, it goes back in my brief case and I am back in flip flops, cargo shorts, and t-shirt and living how I prefer, like a smelly slob who couldn't give a damn what people think about me.

Buy it.

captain53
08-26-2010, 07:15 PM
I have a pen and pencil purchased many years ago and they are wonderful, they just have a special feel to them. Not sure where is the best place to buy but I can tell you like every other nice thing these days there are fakes everywhere = NO EBAY

floydpink
08-26-2010, 07:28 PM
I have a pen and pencil purchased many years ago and they are wonderful, they just have a special feel to them. Not sure where is the best place to buy but I can tell you like every other nice thing these days there are fakes everywhere = NO EBAY

Sage advice. Go to Mont Blanc or don't go.

darkleeroy
08-26-2010, 07:44 PM
I had a Mont Blanc pen, a long long long time ago. My parent's gave it to me as a gift. Since I'm only a wee entry level professional, and I'm relatively young, I avoid taking it around with me and looking pretentious.

I would say the best place to get them would be the Mont Blanc store if you're primarily looking for Mont Blanc pens. I would go rollerball>ballpoint>fountain. Fountains impart your handwriting style better, but at the same time, the hassle of maintaining a fountain makes me avoid it.

CigarGuy88
08-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Take a look at paradisepen.com. You'll have to either go in to a store or order it over the phone but they are a great company and a licensed montblanc dealer!

lighthousebill1
08-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Last one i bought was on line at something called the wholesale pen wharehouse and i paid about 75 dollars less then if i got it retale store

Starz26
08-26-2010, 08:20 PM
www.fountainpenhospital.com is a great place as well..

I have the Starwalker 100 year anniversary and the Starwalker Rubber....

both nice pens, the anni I lost and had to replace and the price went up in the year I had it...ouch! Could only find it at one shop in the world by that time as they were all sold out.....

DrDubzz
08-26-2010, 08:50 PM
thanks for the responses, I'll check out paradisepen, that was mainly what I was looking for as there aren't any MB stores anywhere near here.

I want to try to get one every couple/few years until I have a few, I'd like to pass them onto my children (assuming my kids will still need physical writing utensils when they reach adulthood)

Jokermann
08-27-2010, 05:56 AM
I have several Mont Blanc pens. My daily use pens are the Boheme Noir Roller ( http://www.redfingerprint.com/MontBlanc/Boheme_Noir/05098 ) and a Meisterstuck Duo Rollerball in Silver and Gold. Cant find a pic of that one, but it looks similar to this, but with a silver and gold cap, not a stainless, http://www.redfingerprint.com/MontBlanc/Meisterstuck_Solitaire_Doue_Stainless_Steel/05019 . In addition to those two I have several of the writers series pens and a Boheme Fountain Pen that I hardly use.

I have a MB store here in Charlotte, so I just buy them there, but I also got one once from Jomashop.com and it was perfect with a little cheaper of a price.

DrDubzz
08-27-2010, 06:31 AM
I have a MB store here in Charlotte, so I just buy them there, but I also got one once from Jomashop.com and it was perfect with a little cheaper of a price.

I was wondering if jomashop was legit since they have a pretty good discount on them, so that's encouraging if yours was legit, thanks

GreekGodX
08-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Honestly if you're buying a Mont Blanc you should just go to an authorized dealer and get one. Granted I don't believe in paying full price for anything but if you want it that bad then I would just go to an authorized dealer. Even if that does mean paying full price. :2

Subvet642
08-27-2010, 09:01 AM
I've been collecting fountain pens for quite a while and there is only one place to get the best deal on new pens and that is from Chuck Swisher at Swisher Pens. He's an authorized dealer and has the best prices on everything. I would recommend that you look at Pelikan pens as well. They are German made, just as well made and less expensive. Don't get me wrong, I have about seven MBs and I love them, but Pelikans are just as nice and I have a few of them as well.

http://www.swisherpens.com/

BlackDog
08-27-2010, 09:40 AM
FWIW, I have had 2 Mont Blanc Meisterstuck roller balls, and would be hesitant to buy a third. Perhaps I write like an ape, perhaps it was bad luck, but I had 2 pens break where the body of the pen meets the threads to access the ink cartridge. I am suspicious of the hardened plastic they use for the bodies of their pens. At a later time I was given a Waterman pen, and while it's not as prestigious as a Mont Blanc, the body is made of brass, and I have had no issues with its durability. :2

weasel
08-27-2010, 10:32 AM
Why not buy a cheap pen and put a Mont Blanc rollerball cartridge in it?

Otherwise you are paying for an expensive holder.

If you're going to buy a Mont Blanc, then get a fountain pen.

I have the Homage a Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart fountain pen, which is a quite small fountain pen, but uses ink cartridges rather than fill from a bottle.

This makes it clean and easy to use - and yes I do write prescriptions with it!

Wolfgang
08-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Im currently using the Platinum Rollerball from the Classic Collection. I love it and I get looks all the time from older business men I suppose its a little pretentious to have a MB clipped to my lapel when I'm ringing people out at best buy but honestly I don't care what they think I love my pen that I worked hard for and I enjoy every letter that is written with it.

rizzle
08-27-2010, 10:42 AM
I've been writing with one for damn near 20 years, same one by the way, and I bought onw for my wife about 10 years ago. Nice accessories, and in my mind nothing pretentious about them.

Had one of my co-workers come into my office a few months back and comment on my pen. So we pulled them up online and took a look and I was floored by how much they're going for today versus what I paid. So in that sense, they've actually been a sound investment as well. I would imagine that when precious metal prices come down they'll probably come down as well but who knows.

Anyway, knowing where prices are now, I wouldn't go anywhere but an authorized dealer.

Wolfgang
08-27-2010, 10:47 AM
There is a MB store in the International Mall here in Tampa! do you think they would do a group buy discount?????

rizzle
08-27-2010, 10:50 AM
There is a MB store in the International Mall here in Tampa! do you think they would do a group buy discount?????

Something tells me there wouldn't be a whole lot of interest, Mark. On either end. But ask them next time you're in there. I'm contemplating a new one.

Wolfgang
08-27-2010, 11:04 AM
I just moved up here Richie. Im a mile away from Tampa humidor. we should meet up then bug the MB peoples

rizzle
08-27-2010, 02:35 PM
I just moved up here Richie. Im a mile away from Tampa humidor. we should meet up then bug the MB peoples

They'd probably freak the f out if we came walking in there talking junk to them. :tu