PDA

View Full Version : Large Ring Gauge Punch Cutter

awsmith4
08-24-2010, 08:44 AM
This may have been covered before but I couldn't find it. My stepfather has expressed many times how he would like a larger punch. Mikhail (Brian) had sent me some .45 shell casings that are about the perfect size but with the brass being soft and my unskilled hands I could not create a sharp enough edge.

So does anyone know where to find larger punch cutters?

FYI - he smokes mostly 54-60 rg cigars

Darrell
08-24-2010, 08:53 AM
We have a BIG one at our shop. I'll check about them on Thursday and I can drop one in the mail for you. I think it's designed for about a 55.

awsmith4
08-24-2010, 09:08 AM
We have a BIG one at our shop. I'll check about them on Thursday and I can drop one in the mail for you. I think it's designed for about a 55.

Thanks brother, just let me know how much!

d'am
08-24-2010, 03:38 PM

If it's publicly available, would you share the name with us? I'd love to find something that can punch a robusto once and open up a great draw.

SmokeyJoe
08-24-2010, 03:43 PM

"So shines a good deed in a weary world." :tu

I would bump your rep if I didn't have to spread some around first.

:D

Darrell
08-24-2010, 03:45 PM
If it's publicly available, would you share the name with us? I'd love to find something that can punch a robusto once and open up a great draw.

It does not have a name, it's some off brand. I'll gladly share the details when I have them.

Krish the Fish
08-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Check out the Xikar Xi009 punch. It's a bigger punch than I've seen around, and it was sharp! Plus, xikar's warranty.

awsmith4
08-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Check out the Xikar Xi009 punch. It's a bigger punch than I've seen around, and it was sharp! Plus, xikar's warranty.

I saw it and I agree its big enough...for what I smoke. But when you smoke a steady diet of 6x60s I guess you want even larger.

JaKaacH
08-25-2010, 09:07 PM
I have done two punches that overlap some. You end up with a figure eight looking hole.

NCRadioMan
08-25-2010, 09:14 PM

Yeah, we have some of those too. Big suckers.

Should be exactly what you are looking for Albert.

boom
08-25-2010, 09:41 PM
This may have been covered before but I couldn't find it. My stepfather has expressed many times how he would like a larger punch. Mikhail (Brian) had sent me some .45 shell casings that are about the perfect size but with the brass being soft and my unskilled hands I could not create a sharp enough edge.

So does anyone know where to find larger punch cutters?

FYI - he smokes mostly 54-60 rg cigars

I have sharpened the shell casing....my only worry is how long will it remain sharp.....

CasaDooley
08-25-2010, 10:10 PM
This is the biggest punch I have found at 12mm and after more then 5 years it is still extremely sharp.
http://www.vintagechiccigar.com/index.php?cPath=129_456

SvilleKid
08-25-2010, 10:23 PM
I've never made a punch from a .45, but have half a dozen from .270 and .30-06 rifle rounds. I found that these work best when the edge is well sharpened, but which still leaves a slightly saw-toothed edge. The secret to using them in this state is to gently rotate the punch back and forth, verses using as a pure punch. This consistently produces a clean cut for me, never had one tear the wrapper. I have a set of cheap jeweler files that allow me to sharpen the inside edge once I get the outside edge to the shape/sharpness I want. You are right that you will never get the soft brass sharp enough to use as a punch. But modifying your punch technique to what basically amounts to a hole saw style should give you desirable results. The longer rifle casings do make it easier to twirl the casing back and forth than with shorter pistol rounds. I also find that punching the primer out can give you a good route to push the plugs back out. Then, buff the casing to a luster, and clear-coat with clear Krylon. Keeps the casing from tarnishing.

If you want, PM me for my addy, send me a few spent casings, and I'll try my hand at making some up for you.

NCRadioMan
08-25-2010, 10:41 PM
This is the biggest punch I have found at 12mm and after more then 5 years it is still extremely sharp.

That's the one! Solingen steel will keep an edge for a long time.

awsmith4
08-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! At $6 I'll probably order him a few.

And Cliff, next time I go to the range I'll take my rifle too and send you some casings. I'll PM you when I get a chance to go, thanks for the offer!

lawman
08-26-2010, 04:26 PM
If you know anyone who reloads their own ammunition, they probably have a case reamer to clean burrs from the mouth of the cases prior to reloading, especially after trimming the length of rifle cases. I've never tried it but I think, with a little patience, you could use such a reamer to sharpen that .45 case for that purpose.

Darrell
08-31-2010, 02:10 PM
That is the punch we HAD in stock.

I meant to update last week that we were out.

Sorry. :sad

awsmith4
10-06-2010, 06:25 AM

That is the punch we HAD in stock.

I meant to update last week that we were out.

Sorry. :sad

Well it looks like now a lot of folks are out of stock, I screwed around and didn't order one now I can't find one.

Anyone know another source for them???

Don Fernando
10-06-2010, 07:18 AM
I have a punch with 2 different sizes, I'll bring it to EPIC Albert, if you like it, it's yours

McSmokey
10-06-2010, 08:46 AM
I don't know what the size of the other punch was (didn't see it before the website said none available), but this one punches a 28RG hole in the cigar.

http://www.cigarextras.com/xikarstainlesssteelandblackeasypunchforcigars.aspx

Don Fernando
10-06-2010, 08:50 AM
just measured the punch I have, the big ring is 13mm

McSmokey
10-06-2010, 08:58 AM
just measured the punch I have, the big ring is 13mm

That's 4 rings bigger than the one i linked. What brand is it?

Don Fernando
10-06-2010, 09:04 AM
googled, seems to be a Wolf

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418%2BEYxYPAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

XTRazzer
10-06-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm very pleased with the Victorinox Cigar Knife. It has three punches: 11mm, 8.5mm, 5mm (approximate diameters). While more expensive than some options, I feel it was worth the cost since it combines a knife and cigar punches.

McSmokey
10-12-2010, 01:19 PM
googled, seems to be a Wolf

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418%2BEYxYPAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've been doing a little research and since have a couple of these on order but it seems that this particular punch that ferdinand is offering makes the largest hole shy of making your own out of a bullet casing