PDA

View Full Version : Cheap tobacco

peter_c
11-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Can you ruin a pipe by smoking cheap tobacco in it. Like say CVS tobacco?

GWN
11-06-2008, 04:30 PM
I'd say set aside one pipe for the cheap stuff and knock yourself out.
But keep another one for your better selections. If you don't mind estate pipes, I can ship you another one if you need it.

TOB9595
11-06-2008, 05:18 PM
I think that ruining a pipe is difficult or impossible without physical destruction.
Everclear in the bowl with salt is a great way to remove past materila, tastes, scents.

I'd say that NO you can't
Tom

EvanS
11-06-2008, 06:22 PM
I think that ruining a pipe is difficult or impossible without physical destruction.
Everclear in the bowl with salt is a great way to remove past materila, tastes, scents.

I'd say that NO you can't
Tom

:tpd:

Although there are a few tobacs out there that can leave a pretty stubborn ghost if smoked continually. But I wouldn't generally worry about it

peter_c
11-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Just trying to break the pipe in correctly, what do you recommond that I use

TOB9595
11-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Peter, if you like the aroma smoke it.
The local drugstore will have Captain Black. Smokingpipes.com has a VAST assortment.
The problem is WHAT DO YOU LIKE????
You have to experience it, buddy.
Send me your address and I'll send you a coupla samples of baccy...

Smell and taste it at a pipeshop..YES! put it on your tongue.

You mention CVS...There are several pouches that they will have and you WILL LIKE IT...
I don't know the prices of tobacco...so I'd say buy several different types of their pouches..
Experiment...
like with scotch or cigars...a taste, I think, developes with experience.Laphroaig was my fav when I could drink...I didn't start with that...
Your palate may not have the experience to appreciate nuances of cavendish or something...

peter_c
11-07-2008, 04:39 PM
It is so hard to decide. Living in south florida, I have found that most smoke shops don't carry a large supply of pipe tobacco. Mostly bulk stuff. I did go to a shop last night and bought one bag of blue note from altadis and the guy gave me a bag of julious orange free. I told him I was a new smoker and felt sorry for me. I am saving these for my new pipe.

peter_c
11-07-2008, 04:52 PM
So far I have bought from CVS Blenders Gold Royal Cherry Cavendish. I was on duty and was bored, so I walked to the store and bought it. It is ok,mild though. I like the price, won't break the bank. Something like $10 for 12 oz. My first purchase was 3 oz. of simspon's reserve and 3 oz of gunny's blend for 2.25 an oz. Both of these are from Lane? Both bulk,still mild and not too flavor full. Good for the price, but still not happy. Then I bought honey something from lane I think. I can taste this more, but still too mild. Help? I asked my wife and she said that everything I have smoked so far, she hasn't found any that really smelled good to her. I am smoking these all out of the same cob. Could that be the answer? Help?

Tristan
12-04-2008, 07:15 PM
bought one bag of blue note from altadis

I wonder if this is the same as Dan's Blue Note? This is the first blend I ever smoked when I bought my first smoke. I loved me some of that tobacco!

I would suggest just trying a bunch of new tobaccos. Get some english blends and see if they suit your fancy!

DubintheDam
12-30-2008, 02:40 PM
It's actually very hard to 'ruin' a pipe, but baccy's that taste bad will not do you pipe any favours....the worst outcome will be a Salt and Alcohol treatment to sort it out.