PDA

View Full Version : Beads Turned Brown???

awsmith4
08-21-2010, 07:04 PM
I happened upon these in tupperware inside my cabinet and took them out today when I was organizing. What caused this and are they still ok? They have a cedar smell but nothing putrid.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg250/awsmith4/Cigar%20Pics/IMG_2539.jpg

Chingas
08-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Please don't take my word for it but my beads changed colors to yellow/brown from being under my drain area catching condensation from my vino. Regular water turned my beads to an unsightly shade of nastiness.

rharris
08-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Mine have done the same thing. I think it is caused by the beads absorbing oils and such from the cedar and the cigars. I do not think it will harm them at all. Mine still work just fine.

neoflex
08-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Totally normal.

boom
08-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Totally normal.

:tpd:

Emjaysmash
08-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Those are "Designer" beads, meant to accessorize any cigar humidor so you don't make a fashion faux-pas!

ashtonlady
08-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Those are "Designer" beads, meant to accessorize any cigar humidor so you don't make a fashion faux-pas!

I thought they were Camo beads. Trying to blend in with what was around them; :)

itzfrank
09-01-2010, 04:41 PM
With gel, if you use tap water, the gel turns a shade of yellowish/brown. However, distilled keeps it clear. Maybe that's what happened here?

Darrell
09-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Albert didn't use tap water on his beads. I'll bet ALL my cigars on that.

Mugen910
09-01-2010, 05:31 PM

Done!!!! All your cigars are on the betting table....against all of my cigars in my aristocrat.

ALBERT tell him you used tap water, we'll split the cigars and get you prettier beads. ;) next round.
Posted via Mobile Device

massphatness
09-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Done!!!! All your cigars are on the betting table....against all of my cigars in my aristocrat.

ALBERT tell him you used tap water, we'll split the cigars and get you prettier beads. ;) next round.
Posted via Mobile Device

You have an Aristocrat?

BALLA'

Now our conversation on the way back from Shack makes sense.

Mugen910
09-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Hehe I don't have one...that is why I can make that bet. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

bobarian
09-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Hehe I don't have one...that is why I can make that bet. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Walk-in??? :r

I agree with Vin.

BALLA'

shilala
09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
The brown stuff amounts to free hydrocarbons, aromas and so forth that come off your cigars and wood. The hydrocarbons get in the pores of the beads and are trapped.
They'll get browner and browner. It's pretty cool how it works. :tu

awsmith4
09-01-2010, 06:33 PM
The brown stuff amounts to free hydrocarbons, aromas and so forth that come off your cigars and wood. The hydrocarbons get in the pores of the beads and are trapped.

My main concern was that if they absorbed other stuff the pores would become blocked and they would cease to absorb and release water. Also I was thinking of gifting them and wanted to make sure they weren't sub-par

awsmith4
09-01-2010, 06:34 PM

You are correct sir

Posted via Mobile Device

That's just wrong...but I like it :D

dwoodward
09-01-2010, 06:52 PM

Wouldn't that mean the pores are being blocked? :confused:

bobarian
09-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Wouldn't that mean the pores are being blocked? :confused:

Not if they are smaller than water vapor. Just means your beads are working and not as pretty any more. Although some would say that tan is a nice color! :D

Darrell
09-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

:r