PDA

View Full Version : 2nd cigar smoked

lovenhim
08-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Hello everyone. I just smoked my second stogie from what I received via a bomb. I do not know enough yet to know one from another and I can not really see the labels to know what I am smoking, so I asked my wonderful wife. The cigar was a H Upmann 1844 Chairman's Reserve. In a nutshell I did not like it. The cigar was too strong and bitter to me. I am not saying the cigar itself is bad, it just was not for me. While smoking it the cigar wrapper cracked, split, and unraveled. I kept smoking it hoping it might get better but it did not, so I did not finish it. I think I should try mild cigars, but not sure which ones I have are mild/med/full. I may have to make a thread on that and list my cigars and get input. Is there a list somewhere that will let me look up what I have and see what it may be before I smoke it?

darkleeroy
08-20-2010, 07:28 PM
I do believe we reviewed every cigar under the sun. Just search the forums for cigars and they'll give you a breakdown on the tastes, flavor profile, strength, and what not.

If you're looking for a really mild but tasty cigar. I'd recommend the CAO Gold Maduro's.

Samsquanch
08-20-2010, 07:41 PM
For some great mild to medium stogs, I love Montecristo Whites and Romeo y Julieta 1875.

Everyone here is great, I would recommend posting what you have and I'm sure you'll get the feedback you're looking for.

lovenhim
08-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I will work on doing that. I will get together with my wife and get help reading those labels. I still have a hard time reading them with my 10x prism reading glasses.

dwoodward
08-20-2010, 08:15 PM
If it makes you feel better, I have yet to have a H Upmann that I was able to finish.

lovenhim
08-20-2010, 08:23 PM
If it makes you feel better, I have yet to have a H Upmann that I was able to finish.

Thanks for that, it does make me feel better. :) I am looking online for cigar software that gives some basics about cigars. I want to know if it is a light cigar so I can start with those first. However everything I am finding is for w!nd0w$ and I use Linux, and Wine in Linux will not run the ones I have found. :(

Samsquanch
08-20-2010, 08:56 PM
I have found if you just Google the name and type of the cigar, most retailers will give you a description of the cigar, including whether it is mild, medium, or full bodied.

Where are you located? If you can hit up a local herf (a cigar smokers gathering), the folks there can give you a ton of advice.

lovenhim
08-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I am in Virginia Beach, VA. I found out that there are two on Va Beach Blvd, which is great but unless someone comes and picks me up it is hard to get there. This visual impairment thing makes driving a no can do idea. :) It is sad to say but just like the song....I smoke alone.....sad I know.

maninblack
08-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Well hell if you live in VA, you should hit up the VCM boys. They are always good for a herf.

Pass
08-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Being in VA Beach... you're a lot closer to the herf than I. It is held every Thursday at Baily's Pub and Grille in Newport News. You can bring your wife if ya like... just watch out for T-Bone. He scares the ladies off ;) :r

Also, if you like the milder smokes try the Man O' War Virtue. Fantastic blend by AJ Fernandez... but much more mild than the regular MAW and Ruination.

PS: I haven't had an H Uppman that I liked either.

Kreth
08-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Also, if you like the milder smokes try the Man O' War Virtue. Fantastic blend by AJ Fernandez... but much more mild than the regular MAW and Ruination.
Speaking of AJ Fernandez, the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinets are a great mild/medium-bodied smoke.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pass
08-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Speaking of AJ Fernandez, the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinets are a great mild/medium-bodied smoke.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup. I have some of those as well. I smoked one and liked it... but it needed humi time. so I'm waiting a bit on the others.

troutbreath
08-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Lots of good BOTL in Va Beach.

I like the RyJ Habana Reserves. I got some of the robustos, and they are mild/medium, and well-constructed. In fact, I need to get back into my humi and dig that box out of the bottom.

Chingas
08-21-2010, 07:37 PM
PS: I haven't had an H Uppman that I liked either.

You're only supposed to smoke the ones from the Island! Those are delicious!

Hit up the Virginia Cigar Militia Banter Thread for your VCM BOTL. They play tough but they seem to be some find stand up gentleman. If you can't get a ride, maybe someone is close enough to pick you up or grab a taxi down.

Anyway you look at it, you should get in touch with those Brothers. No doubt they'll point you in the right direction.

Software for windows? Brother do what Samsquanch recommended. Just google the cigar and you'll find all the specs. And for legit reviews, look up your stick in the review section. Those are your best options.

Good luck on number three!

Pass
08-21-2010, 07:45 PM
You're only supposed to smoke the ones from the Island! Those are delicious!

Can't say that I've had any of those... Only had one stick from that island before.

Chingas
08-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Can't say that I've had any of those... Only had one stick from that island before.

Flipping thru Roladex....p p p p pa pa pas pas pass. Ahh. There you are...:r:r

4WheelVFR
08-21-2010, 10:11 PM

LOL....something tells me I should "nudge" our thread starter in that direction too. :D

Chingas
08-21-2010, 10:21 PM
LOL....something tells me I should "nudge" our thread starter in that direction too. :D

Something tells me You're Right!:banger

darkleeroy
08-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Lol you all are evil, evil, people.

:l

Pass
08-22-2010, 04:45 AM

Hmmmmm... Ch ch Ch Chia. Wait no, not it. Ch Ch Chi Chin Chingas. Ah, yes, here we are. :=:

BTcigars
08-22-2010, 01:43 PM
I am in Virginia Beach, VA. I found out that there are two on Va Beach Blvd, which is great but unless someone comes and picks me up it is hard to get there. This visual impairment thing makes driving a no can do idea. :) It is sad to say but just like the song....I smoke alone.....sad I know.

Brother, dont worry about smoking along. I do the very same thing. I usually wait till the evening, go outside, light up a cigar, and just enjoy the the quiet night sky. Albeit I do keep my cell phone around in case I want to play Super Yum Yum 2 ;)

BTW, the cigar you had sounds like it was either dried out or was rolled too tonight. Remember, you cant learn what you like unless you have something to compare it against. Its all about the learning experience.

Chingas
08-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Brother, dont worry about smoking along. I do the very same thing. I usually wait till the evening, go outside, light up a cigar, and just enjoy the the quiet night sky. Albeit I do keep my cell phone around in case I want to play Super Yum Yum 2 ;)

BTW, the cigar you had sounds like it was either dried out or was rolled too tonight. Remember, you cant learn what you like unless you have something to compare it against. Its all about the learning experience.

And that my Brother is Half The Fun!