PDA

View Full Version : Are these chillie peppers?

mariogolbee
08-17-2010, 05:44 PM
We moved here a year and a half ago and I quickly put the existing raised garden beds to work once we moved in. Every so often something pops up that I didn't plant and I just let it grow. So this plant has been growing since last year and I think it's producing chilli's but I don't want to just eat one and die off of a hunch. I've done some digging around and these look like they may be some Texas Teppins or something but I can't find any pics of chilli plants in this stage exactly.

A little help please? Thanks in advance!

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv143/mariogolbee/DSCI0456.jpg

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv143/mariogolbee/DSCI0457.jpg

GolfNut
08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Don't think so....is that where these are supposed to grow? Something doesn't look right. http://www.2catzandadog.com/chilip.jpg

GolfNut
08-17-2010, 05:55 PM
BTW, look like jalapeno plants from here.

Salvelinus
08-17-2010, 05:58 PM
They do not look like any jalapenos I have grown. Any pepper that I have planted results in a fruit that hangs towards the ground as opposed to the plant in your photo. Note that I have only grown peppers that will tolerate a northern summer though.

Starscream
08-17-2010, 05:59 PM
These are Chili Peppers:

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/andrewsutherland2002/red_hot_chili_peppers___blood_sugar_sex_magik_fron t.jpg

mariogolbee
08-17-2010, 06:06 PM
They do not look like any jalapenos I have grown. Any pepper that I have planted results in a fruit that hangs towards the ground as opposed to the plant in your photo. Note that I have only grown peppers that will tolerate a northern summer though.
I have seen pics of many that grow like this. I'm sure someone will recognize it if it is.

I wish I was growing Opus X Chili Pepper's in my back yard.:dr

Skywalker
08-17-2010, 07:07 PM
BTW, look like jalapeno plants from here.

:tpd: I think Mario's plants are taking male enhancement pills.:r

Salvelinus
08-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Are you suggesting that my peppers are flaccid?:D

boom
08-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Not Jalapenos ... mine are hangin to left a bit...

mariogolbee
08-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Any other input on this? I was hoping TG would have chimed in by now.

SvilleKid
08-18-2010, 12:06 AM
NOT Jalapenos. Leave and plant structure is wrong for those. The only peppers I've ever planted that grew upright like these were Tabasco peppers. However, the peppers turning purple rules those out. The images I've seen for Tepin peppers show them as small, round shaped peppers like birdseye peppers. The best guess I can say, is the leaves and plant structure look mor like serrano peppers than any I can think of, but never seen them turn purple, and they generally grow down. Any possibility they are a stain of Thai peppers? size and upright growth would support that possibility. Chili peppers can go thru wide range of colors, including purple, so it is probably a form of chili. given the small size, I'd say expect them to be very hot!

akumushi
08-18-2010, 12:09 AM
The leaves, flower and fruit all look like my pepper plants, although mine are a diffrent variety (thai red fogo) so they are much more slender. Wait until they're ripe and cut one open, a smell of the inside and the little white pepper seeds alone should tell you that they are indeed peppers. I would just eat one and see how it tastes. I don't think it could be anything dangerous or inedible, but you might burn your ass off if they turn out to be habaneros:fl

mariogolbee
08-18-2010, 12:18 AM

Thanks guys. I'm thinking they are probably some hot peppers. The last two tenants here were Vietnamese. I don't mean to profile but I've had some hot Asian peppers! The closest pick I could find a similarity to is this one with the "Tepin Texas" label. The site doesn't give much info though.
http://www.g6csy.net/chile/pepper-images/Tepin%20Texas.jpg
Here's the site I got the pic from.
http://www.g6csy.net/chile/var-t.html

If these are some good peppers then I suppose I lucked out!

DPD6030
08-18-2010, 01:01 AM
That last photo looks like eyes on a bug that I don't want to meet. :D

mariogolbee
08-18-2010, 01:03 AM
That last photo looks like eyes on a bug that I don't want to meet. :D
:r

akumushi
08-18-2010, 01:30 AM
They might be the ones I have, once you harvest them, hang them up on a string to dry, if they turn orange or red then they're thai peppers. SUPER hot, not really for eating, but you can grind them up dry and put a major kick into your cooking:)

mariogolbee
08-18-2010, 01:34 AM
They might be the ones I have, once you harvest them, hang them up on a string to dry, if they turn orange or red then they're thai peppers. SUPER hot, not really for eating, but you can grind them up dry and put a major kick into your cooking:)
:dr

JKim
08-18-2010, 03:14 AM
could be some type of ornamental chili pepper.

http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/ornamental-chili-pepper.html

http://www.google.com/images?q=ornamental%20chili%20pepper%20edible%3F&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1419&bih=734

mosesbotbol
08-18-2010, 06:11 AM
Thanks guys. I'm thinking they are probably some hot peppers. The last two tenants here were Vietnamese. I don't mean to profile but I've had some hot Asian peppers!

Bring a clipping by a Vietnamese restaurant or grocery store and ask them. :2

JDTexan
08-18-2010, 06:30 AM
I just went outside and checked all my peppers, we grow a lot of peppers here in TX, and the picture you have looks just like my Mucho Nacho Jalapeņo plant. My peppers have turned black and red because of all the heat this year but they do start growing up and then fall and continue to grow upside down. The leaves, flower and stalk are all identical to my plants. Are the peppers relatively young?

bigliver
08-18-2010, 06:34 AM
I don't mean to profile but I've had some hot Asian peppers!

I married one.

T.G
08-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Mario,

Hard to tell from your photo, how many peppers per node? (looks like 2-3 on some nodes, but I'm not sure, could be the angle of the photo)
How long are the peppers - about 1/2"?

HK3-
08-18-2010, 08:26 AM
It is believed that peppers that grow upward vs downward are said to be hotter than others. If I had to guess... they are "birds eye" peppers and they WILL light your ass up.

T.G
08-18-2010, 08:37 AM
It is believed that peppers that grow upward vs downward are said to be hotter than others. If I had to guess... they are "birds eye" peppers and they WILL light your ass up.

The up/down thing is a myth. Dorset naga & bhut jolokia are the two hottest peppers in the world, 100x hotter than habenero, and all three of them grow down. Peruvian purples, grow upward and are almost totally devoid of any heat, they just look neat. That being said, there are a number of very popular varieties of hot peppers that do grow vertically, so I can see how that fallacy could get started.

I tend to agree with you that they do appear to be birds eyes, just trying to figure out which ones though, hence why the extra questions for Mario in my previous post.

HK3-
08-18-2010, 08:40 AM
The up/down thing is a myth. Dorset naga & bhut jolokia are the two hottest peppers in the world, 100x hotter than habenero, and all three of them grow down. Peruvian purples, grow upward and are almost totally devoid of any heat, they just look neat. That being said, there are a number of very popular varieties of hot peppers that do grow vertically, so I can see how that fallacy could get started.

I tend to agree with you that they do appear to be birds eyes, just trying to figure out which ones though, hence why the extra questions for Mario in my previous post.

I still believe in Santa. :)

T.G
08-18-2010, 08:53 AM
I still believe in Santa. :)

Hey, santa is real. I met him at the mall once.

mariogolbee
08-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Adam, they range from 1/4" to just under 5/8" so far. I see up to 8 buds and a "pepper" per node. I just looked up node so I'm not 100% sure though. That's how many are stemming off in a general area.

Thank you for all of the responses everyone.

HK3-
08-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Adam, they range from 1/4" to just under 5/8" so far. I see up to 8 buds and a "pepper" per node. I just looked up node so I'm not 100% sure though. That's how many are stemming off in a general area.

We would like to see a youtube video of you eating your first one... or atleast a picture.

I sliced up some habaneros out of the garden today and put them on my sandwiches for lunch. They get me all choked up, everytime. :dr

mariogolbee
08-18-2010, 12:44 PM
We would like to see a youtube video of you eating your first one... or atleast a picture.

I sliced up some habaneros out of the garden today and put them on my sandwiches for lunch. They get me all choked up, everytime. :dr
Ya, maybe I can chase it with a Gorilla Finger.

HK3-
08-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Ya, maybe I can chase it with a Gorilla Finger.

:r

mariogolbee
08-18-2010, 12:57 PM

If I do make a video I'll do it just for you bro.

poker
08-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Yes, those are chili peppers. I have a very similar plant in my backyard that is now about 7' tall. Those pppers will start out black, turn green, and then mature to red. They are definetly hot. My wife is Thai and they are hotter than any Thai peppers according to her. She uses them for cooking and it dosent take many to bring the heat on.

poker
08-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Guatemala

http://www.g6csy.net/chile/var-g.html

mariogolbee
08-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Thank you Kelly! Maybe I will do the video after all!

HK3-
08-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Guatemala

http://www.g6csy.net/chile/var-g.html

Awesome link! Dang, that's a lot of peppers.... :tu

T.G
08-18-2010, 01:27 PM

I'll try and either find or shoot some photos later to give you an idea what I mean.

Chances are, it's in or related to the general birds eye family somewhere, but the sunburn (the black marking) of the pod is a bit odd. A lot of the birds eyes and most of the thai peppers (about 4" long, very thin peppers) don't typically sunburn.

Remember, if this just started growing on it's own, it's from a seed that was left in the garden, probably from dropped fruit that was grown the year prior, which in turn might have been sown from peppers grown the year prior. Under these home grown condtions, each of these generations is going to reduce the probability of a genetically pure seed.

Try one when it's green, is it hot or just sour and icky vegiteal tasting?

BTW, the lack of heat up here this year so far has been keeping the pepper heat levels way down.

-------- Addendum

I see Kelly ID'd it while I was writing off and on while working. Thanks. That's one I haven't grown before.

-------- Addendum #2

Mario, I'll trade you some cigars (or Mexican Coke) for a bag of plant ripened peppers.