PDA

View Full Version : I'm having trouble getting Shilala beads calibrated

bsmokin
08-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Ugh... I'm getting frustrated at this point... I paid A LOT of money for these beads and I can't get em to work for me!!! :(

Here's the story:

- The RH in my Edgstar fridgador was 69%-71% for some time (a month+) with the Shilala beads. And yes, my drain is plugged well. I have 3 bags of 8oz beads... this is more than the recommended amount, and almost as much as the 'ideal' amount of twice the recommended.

- I decided I wanted to lower it the RH for an easier burn when smoking.

- I plugged my fridge in, which it wasn't before, for the dehumidification provided by this.... after about a week, not any real difference in RH

- Was recommended to test the RH of my beads, and recalibrate them if necessary.

- Tested my beads in a sealed baggie and found that they were at 70% RH on their own! 'OK!', I thought, 'This is the problem!'

- First attempted to recalibrate my beads using the freezer per the instructions that came with the beads. 25 mins in the freezer exactly. From the freezer into a sealed baggie. The RH dropped down to 62% RH! Cool, right?! Left this overnight to settle... when I checked it again in the morning the RH in the same bag (unopened) has risen back up to 70%!!!

- Second attempt to recalibrate the beads was to use my regular fridge. Left the beads in for an hour per the instructions. IMMEDIATELY took the beads from the fridge and into the sealed baggie. The RH plummeted down to 45% RH exactly! Great, I thought! This is what a fridge RH is supposed to be at, per the bead instructions... so this is a good start. Left this overnight ..... in the AM, back up to 67% RH.

- Was suggested that this raise probably has to do with the temp raise. It was suggested that I put the beads in the Edgestar and give em a try at this point, since the lower temp my help... Did this last night. Woke up this morning... NO DICE!!! RH in Edgestar this morning is back up to 71% RH!!!!

Ugh... :rolleyes:
I'm so confused... :confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

(Initial thread on this may be found at: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34864)

Mugen910
08-13-2010, 08:17 AM
What is the temp in your Edgstar?
A cooler temp will bring on cooler RH levels.

Are you sure the hygrometer is calibrated correctly?
2% isn't much imho so 68-70 is good.

Have you tried taking out 1 of the bags?
Changing the amount of beads in the Edgstar will affect the overall RH desired.

Are you sure there is nothing wet in your Edgstar?
I've found 1 box that was saturated due to placing it too close to the fan which kept my vino at a higher RH than desired.

Overall I would say run the Edgstar at a lower temp and your RH will drop.

bigdix
08-13-2010, 08:31 AM

I've found 1 box that was saturated due to placing it too close to the fan which kept my vino at a higher RH than desired.

Just getting started with my Haier/Shilala beads and this is a noticeable trend. Up goes the temp, up goes the RH.

Mugen910
08-13-2010, 08:32 AM
I like to keep my VINo under 65* and that keeps my beads under 63%

bsmokin
08-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the responses so far guys....

I have the fridge turned all the way down!... seems to be stable at about 62 degs far

Yup!... used a boveda pack or whatever... calibrated to the 'T'

Take out a bag!? But they should be calibrated at 65% RH and are supposed to TAKE OUT moisture from there air if the RH in the air is higher than the beads! I don't see how taking out the beads would help!??? :confused: I could see someone suggesting to get more beads, but as I said before, I already have a lot... should have plenty!! I also have all cedar Chasden drawers and a pretty full humi of cigars...

Pretty sure... I did check for any condensation, etc., since I was very worried about this going in to 'turning on' the fridge. Nothing is 'wet'

Already as low as it will go! 62% Ambient temp, in my basement where the Edgestar is located, is only about 67% anyway...

I'm screwed.

Mugen910
08-13-2010, 09:26 AM
I can only give you advice as to what I've done, tried through experimenting.

Lower temps = cooler air = lower RH

Yes the bags soak up and return moisture but you have to try different combinations. I can't explain why or how but trial and error is my only method.

Sometimes the cigars & boxes you already have in there are over-saturated and need time to adjust.

Patience is key in this hobby of ours. Nothing will be ruined and you might find that come colder months, cigars at 70% smoke better.

Good luck.

CigarNut
08-13-2010, 09:38 AM
You stated that your beads are at 70%, so it makes sense that the humi is at 70%.

You need to reduce the RH of your beads. Put them in the refrigerator, then when you take them out put them in a ziplock, and put the ziplock in your humi. That way you can determine the RH of the beads at the temperature of your humidor. Repeat until the beads are at your desired RH.

If you are unhappy with the beads return them and I will send you a refund.

pnoon
08-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I can only give you advice as to what I've done, tried through experimenting.

Lower temps = cooler air = lower RH

Yes the bags soak up and return moisture but you have to try different combinations. I can't explain why or how but trial and error is my only method.

Sometimes the cigars & boxes you already have in there are over-saturated and need time to adjust.

Patience is key in this hobby of ours. Nothing will be ruined and you might find that come colder months, cigars at 70% smoke better.

Good luck.

:tpd:
Also, I don't consider the cost of the beads a lot of money compared to what you have invested in cigars and storage.
:2

Don't stress over it. Cigars are supposed to be relaxing.
Posted via Mobile Device

dwoodward
08-13-2010, 01:54 PM
TBH after reading about other humidification systems, the beads are quite a value. Not only do they work perfectly (as you even stated yourself they were +-1%) but they also require very little maintenance.

I think you need to just refridgerate your beads for some time. There is info on how to do this on www.shilalasbeads.com

bsmokin
08-13-2010, 02:04 PM
I did refrigerate the beads... still didn't work. Not sure what the problem is... that's the point of the thread... ;)

TBH after reading about other humidification systems, the beads are quite a value. Not only do they work perfectly (as you even stated yourself they were +-1%) but they also require very little maintenance.

I think you need to just refridgerate your beads for some time. There is info on how to do this on www.shilalasbeads.com

bsmokin
08-13-2010, 02:07 PM
No, I said I refrigerated my beads and they went down to 45% immediately, then up to 67% overnight. Put them in the Edgestar and they humi was at 71% overnight.

I like your idea of the ziplock in the humi... I will try that.

I wouldn't say I'm unhappy with the beads... just frustrated. I know they are very highly regarded, so I will continue to try and work with them and give it some time....

You stated that your beads are at 70%, so it makes sense that the humi is at 70%.

You need to reduce the RH of your beads. Put them in the refrigerator, then when you take them out put them in a ziplock, and put the ziplock in your humi. That way you can determine the RH of the beads at the temperature of your humidor. Repeat until the beads are at your desired RH.

If you are unhappy with the beads return them and I will send you a refund.

icehog3
08-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Operator error!!

Sorry, Bryan.....I'll be here all za veek.

tsolomon
08-13-2010, 02:58 PM
What is the RH in the room where you keep your cigars. I was having a problem keeping my humies at 65% during the summer because the RH of the room was too high. So everytime I opened the coolerdor or humidor, I let in moist air that the beads had to soak up. Finally bought a dehumidfier to lower the RH and things are good. I don't have a problem in the winter when the air is dryer.

bsmokin
08-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Alright guys....

Today I put the beads back in the fridge for an hour to try again and recalibrate the beads. Took them out and immediately put them in the ziplock bag w/ hydrogemeter. Then I immediately put that sealed bag, with the beads in it, in the Edgestar. I will let that sit overnight and see where we're at tomorrow...

captain53
08-15-2010, 09:39 AM
If you have a 28 bottle unit you don't have enough beads, I know what is recommended but it is not enough to hold a good steady humidity I don't care what anybody says. I started off with what you have and went up to 2.5# before it worked as I wanted but since it has worked well for over a year.

bsmokin
08-15-2010, 10:44 AM
WOW... that's A LOT of beads... but that's what I'm starting to think at this point...

I have 1.5 lbs of beads right now... another lb is probably what I need... it's just so d-mn expensive at that point.... another pound is $50 + shipping.

If you have a 28 bottle unit you don't have enough beads, I know what is recommended but it is not enough to hold a good steady humidity I don't care what anybody says. I started off with what you have and went up to 2.5# before it worked as I wanted but since it has worked well for over a year.

bobarian
08-15-2010, 11:30 AM
More beads at that price is just ridiculous! I use 1lb of Heartfelt beads divided into two 8oz bags in both of my 28btl Vinotemps with no issues. My humidity is lower out here in Cali, but over $100 in beads seems to me to very cost inefficient. :2

lbowles2
08-15-2010, 01:07 PM
On the Shilala beads site he says that 1.5 lbs is about right for a 28 bottle vino and that amount has worked great for me. All anymore beads than that will do (for me anyway) is allow the humidity level bounce back a little quicker after having the door open longer than normal.

I'm sorry but I don't have any feedback for you on recalibrating the beads as mine have worked perfect for me. I don't run my vino though so that may make a difference.

rostamizadeh
08-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Alright guys....

Today I put the beads back in the fridge for an hour to try again and recalibrate the beads. Took them out and immediately put them in the ziplock bag w/ hydrogemeter. Then I immediately put that sealed bag, with the beads in it, in the Edgestar. I will let that sit overnight and see where we're at tomorrow...

So I'm curious, what's the RH in the bag?

bsmokin
08-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Captain,

What kind of beads are you refering to? Shilala or heartfelt?

Posted via Mobile Device

captain53
08-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Captain,

What kind of beads are you refering to? Shilala or heartfelt?

Posted via Mobile Device

I am sorry forgot to say but Shilala. I am very happy with them now but just found that 1.5# was not doing the job.

bsmokin
08-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Had this prob even before running the fridge. Only reason I'm running it is for the dehumidification its supposed to provide. Up to now- a few weeks in to running it- its helped not at all.

On the Shilala beads site he says that 1.5 lbs is about right for a 28 bottle vino and that amount has worked great for me. All anymore beads than that will do (for me anyway) is allow the humidity level bounce back a little quicker after having the door open longer than normal.

I'm sorry but I don't have any feedback for you on recalibrating the beads as mine have worked perfect for me. I don't run my vino though so that may make a difference.
Posted via Mobile Device

bsmokin
08-15-2010, 05:42 PM
I totally agree. I'd be looking at $125 total for beads. Plus shipping. Crazy.

More beads at that price is just ridiculous! I use 1lb of Heartfelt beads divided into two 8oz bags in both of my 28btl Vinotemps with no issues. My humidity is lower out here in Cali, but over $100 in beads seems to me to very cost inefficient. :2
Posted via Mobile Device

bsmokin
08-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Alright-update:
After the night in a sealed bag right out of the fridge for recalibration and straight into the edgestar, at 5pm the next day I had 67% RH and 63degs. I'm totally confused now.
I've since said screw it. I took the beads out of the bag and placed in the humi. Several hours later I had 71% RH and 63degs.

So, what are my options now?

- give up on the beads and get a refund.

- try, try again on the recalibration

- buy MORE beads

- live with what I've got. About 70% RH
Posted via Mobile Device

Brad
08-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Return them, you aren't going to be happy with them as is.

captain53
08-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Alright-update:
After the night in a sealed bag right out of the fridge for recalibration and straight into the edgestar, at 5pm the next day I had 67% RH and 63degs. I'm totally confused now.
I've since said screw it. I took the beads out of the bag and placed in the humi. Several hours later I had 71% RH and 63degs.

So, what are my options now?

- give up on the beads and get a refund.

- try, try again on the recalibration

- buy MORE beads

- live with what I've got. About 70% RH
Posted via Mobile Device

Call them or PM them - they are really good folks with plenty of experience and knowledge.

longknocker
08-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Give Michael A Call. He Can Help!:tu
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpost.php?p=951771&postcount=7

Smokin Gator
08-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I know this may be sacreligion (sp) around here... but I am not a fan of the whole vinador type of situation when there are differences in ambient temp/humidity. I had two of them and finally gave up. One would add humidity and the other one would drop like a rock. That being said... I think you are over thinking the whole thing. Put the beads in there and give it a month. Then see what the readings are. Stabilization is a long term process...

CigarNut
08-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Put the beads in there and give it a month. Then see what the readings are. Stabilization is a long term process...This advice is good. It does take time to reach equilibrium.

If you are anxious to get the RH of your beads down for piece-of-mind then do so.

One round in the refrigerator is clearly not enough. I would look at getting the RH of the beads down to around 60-62% to compensate for the otherwise high RH in your humidor. Go through the process that I outline before (fridge-to-bag-to-humi and repeat until you get to your desired RH).

It does take time and patience to do this, I never meant to imply that this would be easy.

However, once your humidor has reached equilibrium at your desired RH, you will be very happy.

There are a lot of people out there with Shilala's beads in their Vino's and Edgestars that are very happy with how their cigars are being kept.