PDA

View Full Version : iPad...

colinb913
08-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah.. I caved and got the 32gb version. I gotta say typing on it is a lot more intuitive then I thought it would be. In fact it's a lot like a real keyboard.. Well once you get used to it. I really really like it. I would like it more if I could open tabs in safari though. Oh well. Hopefully in a firmwaRe update soon. Oh, I am just posting this to get a feel for the whole thing. I love the Internet, and that's about all I have to say here.

Smokin Gator
08-06-2010, 02:40 PM
My wife absolutely loves hers. I bet she uses it 20 times more than she used her computer.

kelmac07
08-06-2010, 02:45 PM
My wife absolutely loves hers. I bet she uses it 20 times more than she used her computer.

:tpd: Same here...seems that it's always in her hands.

duckmanco
08-06-2010, 03:06 PM
really think it could have been a replacement for a pc, nut with no flash support and still requiring itunes.... Makes it tough for me to justify ...still jealous though

LasciviousXXX
08-06-2010, 03:22 PM
My wife digs hers as well.

Flash support can be obtained through jailbreaking if you're really hell bent on it. The Netflix and ABC streaming is absolutely tops though!

colinb913
08-06-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm not too he'll bent on flash. You don't realllllllly need iTunes. It's just nicer to have it

Side note.. My mom went garage saleing and got some empty cigar boxes for me... Sadly one was a glass top cohiba box. I just laughed and said thanks. It is pretty cool looking though

Emjaysmash
08-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I want one! lol

JDTexan
08-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Very nice purchase!

Sean9689
08-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Bought one last week and loving it (typing on it now). Went ahead and Jailbroke it so I can multitask, have my own themes, and basically do what I wanna. Love it more then I thought I would.

JE3146
08-08-2010, 10:39 PM
I swear there just needs to be a mac forum...

bigliver
08-09-2010, 05:49 AM
Bought the 32G. Absolutely love it. It's like another laptop, a Kindle, a protable DVD player, and more all rolled into one. Between my wife and daughter, the thing rarely gets turned off.

shilala
08-09-2010, 06:01 AM
I use mine constantly. It's freakin awesome. :tu

Blueface
08-09-2010, 06:58 AM
I swear there just needs to be a mac forum...

On CA or in general?
There is one in general.
I go there sometimes when looking for answers.

Superbad
08-09-2010, 07:30 AM
I have the 64GB w/3G. I love it. 95% of my time surfing CA is via the iPad. The only time I really need my MacBook, is when I want to post pictures here.

dunng
08-09-2010, 05:48 PM
On mine now... Works pretty well. I use the built-in VPN and Desktop Connect to rdp to my servers...

Ranger_B
08-09-2010, 11:30 PM
I have been sitting on the fence. I may hold out just a little longer. My fiancée would just take it over anyway. But hey I would get my laptop back.

duckmanco
08-19-2010, 11:59 PM
ignore my previous comment altogether, I finally got a chance to play with one at a best buy and was flat out BLOWN away by its sheer speed. I instantly began to justify buying one right then and there but still couldn't pull the trigger. I will hold out for the 2nd gen. as I got royally screwed getting the 1st gen ipod touch (no speaker or exterior volume control). Anyway, I will def. be getting this as the next laptop and will keep a laptop around as its sidekick and for itunes. Also on a side note, after using my iphone 3gs for a week or so, I honestly haven't run into the flash video issue enough to induce anger whatsoever, at least not nearly as much as I thought it would. Most videos I didn't think would play go right into quicktime, which I imagine would do the same on the ipad.

Eagle53
08-20-2010, 08:25 AM
I am waiting for this. The Eee Pad. http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/13/asus-prices-10-inch-android-eee-pad-under-399-8-inch-eee-table/ 10 hour battery life, will come with Android 3.0 (gingerbread), usb ports, flash support, front facing camera and all for $399. They will also have an 8 inch version for $300.

darkleeroy
08-20-2010, 08:59 AM
I am waiting for this. The Eee Pad. http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/13/asus-prices-10-inch-android-eee-pad-under-399-8-inch-eee-table/ 10 hour battery life, will come with Android 3.0 (gingerbread), usb ports, flash support, front facing camera and all for $399. They will also have an 8 inch version for $300.

I'd prefer something like this over the iPad because I probably could install Linux on the eee-pad. I really like the seemless qualities of the iPad (works out of the box at a speed I would like it to work at) but at the same time, dislike being restricted.

shilala
08-20-2010, 10:04 AM
That looks like a sweet machine, I'd like to mess with it.
Don't want it, though. The iPad just fills the gap between my iPhone and my laptop. It's just a big iPod touch, or a big iPhone, to me.
It's great for dragging around the house, surfing wherever I want. In the kitchen or out on the porch it's nice to have. I really don't use it for music at all, and not much for video.
To be honest, I can't really say what I do with it beyond waste time, and the app store is a must.
The kids love playing games on it, and it's just a pleasure to have around. It just makes things easier.
I think the bottom line is that if someone never used iPods or touch or iPhones, they wouldn't make much use of it until they got introduced to apps and iTunes. It's really not at all about work, just fun and convenience. Fun and convenience with a big screen for old people. :)
I absolutely love it for reading books. I've read so much more than I'd have ever read since I got it.

If there was one thing I'd like, it'd be an integrated way to transfer pics to the iPad. I can do it, but it's a pain in the ass, so I don't bother. A USB port or card reader would kick ass. :tu

Eagle53
08-20-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd prefer something like this over the iPad because I probably could install Linux on the eee-pad. I really like the seemless qualities of the iPad (works out of the box at a speed I would like it to work at) but at the same time, dislike being restricted.

Ive heard its unbelievably easy to jailbreak an ipad

CigarNut
08-20-2010, 11:30 AM
...The iPad just fills the gap between my iPhone and my laptop. It's just a big iPod touch, or a big iPhone, to me.
It's great for dragging around the house, surfing wherever I want. In the kitchen or out on the porch it's nice to have. I really don't use it for music at all, and not much for video...I figured that the iPad would be good for watching movies, but it sounds like you don't use it much for that. Is that because it's not that good for watching movies, or because you have something better (besides your HT system)?

shilala
08-20-2010, 11:58 AM
I figured that the iPad would be good for watching movies, but it sounds like you don't use it much for that. Is that because it's not that good for watching movies, or because you have something better (besides your HT system)?
It's awesome for watching movies, I just don't do it. When I first got it I was still working in the shop quite a bit and used it to watch MLB.com. I'm near a big tv and have netflix on all of them, so I use it to surf while I'm watching movies.
But yeah, it's incredible for watching movies, I just don't use it for that right now. :)

maninblack
08-21-2010, 12:59 PM
My wife is addicted to hers. She's always on FB or watching NETFLIX. I use it almost as much as she does. Need to buy myself one I think. But that would mean no cigars for awhile so its a no go.

AD720
09-06-2010, 10:19 AM
If there was one thing I'd like, it'd be an integrated way to transfer pics to the iPad. I can do it, but it's a pain in the ass, so I don't bother. A USB port or card reader would kick ass. :tu

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A
:)

AD720
09-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Typing this from an iPad right now. We got one for my elderly grandfather a couple months ago and he did his best but it was just a little too complicated for him so he gave it back to us. It really my wife's but I plan on using it when i'm out having a cigar, etc. The netflix app is great and I'm seriously considering joing hulu plus.