PDA

View Full Version : Weird Comment

neoflex
08-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Was thinking about a comment someone made to me while I was on a cruise a few weeks ago and how odd of a statement it was to make. I tried to make it a nightly routine to hit the upper deck bar after dinner to enjoy a couple drinks and a cigar. One night I was sitting at the bar smoking when a guy came up to me and asked what I was smoking. I gladly told him and he mentioned how he just got done smoking a Cuban Cohiba that he picked up in Grand Cayman. I kept my thought on the legitimacy of his smoke to myself and than he proceeded to say "I saw you here last night too and you were really nursing that cigar you were smoking." If memory serves me I believe the night he was talking about I was smoking a Liga Toro which is good for at least an hour. I just responded with "HeHe Yeah." when I was really thinking "WTF are you talking about you tool?" Fortunately the conversation ended there as I could only imagine what other great commentary this guy could provide me. I didn't really give it much thought until last night but how absurd of a question is that? I could see if I was nursing a beer for an hour or so as I will break my buddies chops for doing that with a beer and ask if they want a "Nipple with their beer"" but does this guy power smoke his cigars? If I were smoking a cigarette I could even understand but I don't know about this guy but I smoke a cigar to enjoy it and relax and escape from the stresses of my daily life for an hour or so. Just thought I would share as it really did baffle me a little.

CigarNut
08-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Some people just don't take the time to enjoy the whole experience that smoking a cigar can be...

jonumberone
08-05-2010, 07:55 AM
I do the majority of my smoking at work. When I first started smoking, I was in charge of loading container ships in the port of NY/NJ.
I generally had a team of drivers, a team of Crane operators, and a team of field workers that I had to constantly direct.
I would stand outside, clipboard in one hand, radio in the other, and a stogie in my mouth.
With no real place to set my stick down, I would just leave it in and puff.
I would take down Churchill's and Salomon's in an hour, or so.
I enjoyed my cigars, and never considered myself to be doing something wrong.
Now that I have changed roles, become a dad, and tried to slow the pace of my life in general, I smoke slower.
I tend to enjoy my cigars more now, trying to pick out subtle flavors and nuances in every stick, as well as life.
However if in a pinch, I had to fill in at my old post, you would see me walking down the dock, puffing away with a huge cloud of smoke around my head. :2

itzfrank
08-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Did he give you his number?

massphatness
08-05-2010, 08:00 AM
I don't think it's that weird of a comment if the guy isn't a regular cigar smoker -- particularly if he's a cigarette smoker as well. He may not "get it". I went through my early cigar smoking days thinking two things:

* Bigger cigars = better cigars

* Pounding cigars like pounding beers was a manly thing

How wrong I was.

elderboy02
08-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Some people just don't take the time to enjoy the whole experience that smoking a cigar can be...

:tpd: I gave my cousin a cigar (he smokes cigarettes) and he finished a Toro in 25 minutes :rolleyes: even though I told him to take about a puff a minute.

neoflex
08-05-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm not saying powering through a smoke is wrong. Everyone has there ways but I thought it was just weird to actually ask someone that question especially a total stranger but I guess your right. If they are normally a cigarette smoker than the idea of kicking back and really taking your time with a cigar may seem foreign.
Jonumbrone, when I see your stories in your posts about work I can't help but hearing Artie Langes voice telling them.:D

kelmac07
08-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Apparently you haven't seen JohnnyKay5 smoke a stick John...talk about powering through it. :r :r :r

jonumberone
08-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Jonumbrone, when I see your stories in your posts about work I can't help but hearing Artie Langes voice telling them.:D

I'm more Marlon Brando:D

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/25/24125-004-AE93A97A.jpg

mosesbotbol
08-05-2010, 08:54 AM
He probably said that for lack of a better description of you enjoying a cigar. I wouldn't take that as an offense.

shilala
08-05-2010, 09:00 AM
He probably said that for lack of a better description of you enjoying a cigar. I wouldn't take that as an offense.
I thought the same thing. Something like "You must have really been enjoying that cigar", in hopes he could find out what it was or strike up a conversation about cigars.

SmokeyJoe
08-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Not hearing his tone of voice makes it difficult to assess his intent... he may only have meant that you seemed to enjoy your cigar. Or maybe he was being a tool! :D

As far as the cigars on Grand Cayman... they do have a La Casa del Habano just down the block from Jimmy Buffett's place in Georgetown. Real smokes - real high prices. Wife bought me a Sig VI for $35 and surprised me with it. (She found the store on her own and picked up a few things for me - sweet lady!) That Churchill's store was there too. Stuff seemed to be authentic.

Anyway... I try to give the benefit of the doubt. He may just have chosen his wording poorly. Substitute "enjoying" for "nursing" and assume you just met another fine BOTL. :ss

SmokeyJoe
08-05-2010, 09:02 AM

I thought the same thing. Something like "You must have really been enjoying that cigar", in hopes he could find out what it was or strike up a conversation about cigars.

Not hearing his tone of voice makes it difficult to assess his intent... he may only have meant that you seemed to enjoy your cigar. Or maybe he was being a tool! :D ...

Great minds think alike, I suppose. :D

Volt
08-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Apparently you haven't seen JohnnyKay5 smoke a stick John...talk about powering through it. :r :r :r

Hehe you beat me to it... But then agan, Mac, your a cigar killer as well. :)

Mugen910
08-05-2010, 09:19 AM
My response would have been, I like to enjoy every minute of this cigar I can.

KenyanSandBoa
08-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I could see that as "I saw you were really enjoying your cigar", too...just a weird way to phrase it. I would have initially thought the same thing...I was smoking it slow. I like to really take my time with smokes, often pushing them longer than their average smoke time just because that's how I like to smoke them.

My brother, on the other hand, who is also a cigarette smoker, could probably finish two sticks before I finish one. :r I've noticed that he smokes them like his cigs...very frequent draws. I've also noticed he's run into more burn issues because he's run some of his smokes VERY hot.

....crazy power smokers...:D

neoflex
08-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Sadly I don't think his tone portrayed that he thought I was getting more enjoyment out of my smoke than anyone else as he chuckled after he said it and kept on walking. When he said it it was in the same tone you would break someones balls for nursing a beer. I think Joe hit it on the head on his second guess.:D

Mr B
08-05-2010, 10:41 AM

Thats the way I took it too. Just kind of a weird way of putting it, maybe?

whodeeni
08-05-2010, 11:10 AM
don't let 'em rattle your cage John... Just keep on smokin brotha...:tu

bigswol2
08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
U should have blown some smoke on him and said "Here have some" I got a stupid remark like that at the beer bourbon and barbeque festival once and the guys next statement was "aaaaaah.... say buddy you don't have one to spare to you?" "Sure" I replied... handed him a Chisel and watched him for the next 40 mins turn green. LOL. Good luck with the interview John!

replicant_argent
08-05-2010, 01:33 PM
you could have told him. "Some cigars give better flavor for me if I smoke them slower and I don't let them heat up. Weird, but it works for me. You should try it if you smoke really fast."

neoflex
08-05-2010, 01:40 PM
you could have told him. "Some cigars give better flavor for me if I smoke them slower and I don't let them heat up. Weird, but it works for me. You should try it if you smoke really fast."

I probably would have spoke to him in depth about cigars and even offered him one had he actually sat down to talk but he was walking past me while he talked and never really stopped. Every night I went to the bar I made sure to bring at least one extra depending on short pockets had someone seemed interested in smoking. My wife couldn't really grasp why I brought over 20 sticks for a 7 night cruise.:r

neoflex
08-05-2010, 01:40 PM
U should have blown some smoke on him and said "Here have some" I got a stupid remark like that at the beer bourbon and barbeque festival once and the guys next statement was "aaaaaah.... say buddy you don't have one to spare to you?" "Sure" I replied... handed him a Chisel and watched him for the next 40 mins turn green. LOL. Good luck with the interview John!

Thanks brotha!

Chingas
08-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Not that we really need another theory on the table but I was late to this train. I'm figuring he's on vacation, probably thinks he some hot **** who smokes around fine company, only expensive sticks and probably only for show without a care in the world for the stick he's removing from circulation.

I'm usually a pretty good judge of character. I give everyone a chance. Especially another B/SOTL. Didn't really sound like you had a chance to give him a chance to explain what he meant. He may have been inebriated and just didn't know what to say.

All in all, just be happy he DIDN'T say that he thought you had a pretty mouth!

captain53
08-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Dah - did he invite you to his room?:banger

M1903A1
08-05-2010, 02:35 PM
U should have blown some smoke on him and said "Here have some" I got a stupid remark like that at the beer bourbon and barbeque festival once and the guys next statement was "aaaaaah.... say buddy you don't have one to spare to you?" "Sure" I replied... handed him a Chisel and watched him for the next 40 mins turn green. LOL.

:r:r:r:r:r

Pass
08-05-2010, 04:34 PM
heh. That's something that I have to consciously make an effort to do. I used to smoke cigarettes - ditched 'em to help my palate out - so maybe the power smoking comes from that. But I can kill off a DL700 in under an hour with ease. Most churchills, toros, and other large cigars take me an hour or often much less. It's a struggle! I really have to consciously make an effort to really slow down. I also tend to double puff a lot. Someday I will break myself of this!