PDA

View Full Version : What have you learned by joining this forum?

Scottw
11-05-2008, 08:04 PM
I've learned that riches aren't defined by what's in your bank account or stock portfolio.. I've learned that friendships can span thousands of miles and be strong even when you have never met the other person formally. I've learned that giving is truly better than receiving and I have learned that there are more people in this world like me than I ever thought. I have also learned that those who are willing to sacrifice these things for others are fools.

What have you learned?

Mugen910
11-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I learned that you have the coolest tailgating vehicle!

I also learned that there are still good people in the world and I share one thing in common with them....cigars :tu

Scottw
11-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I learned that you have the coolest tailgating vehicle!

I also learned that there are still good people in the world and I share one thing in common with them....cigars :tu

You mean this tailgater?
I like it to, it is a crowd pleaser

Da Klugs
11-05-2008, 08:34 PM
I've learned that riches aren't defined by what's in your bank account or stock portfolio.. I've learned that friendships can span thousands of miles and be strong even when you have never met the other person formally. I've learned that giving is truly better than receiving and I have learned that there are more people in this world like me than I ever thought. I have also learned that those who are willing to sacrifice these things for others are fools.

What have you learned?

Well said! For me it's an extension of our past in a "safe place". For folks new to our community the hope is that the things that made our group interactions special to each of us continue for new members through all of us living up to the spirit of our upbringing and the continued joy of fellowship only a vibrant and fun forum can provide.

Bottom line .. I have learned that it is the group of special participants that makes a place unique, warm and inviting, not the URL.

Sauer Grapes
11-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I learned that this place truly is about the people and the friendships and not the web address. I think we all knew that, but this just reinforced it.

pnoon
11-05-2008, 09:11 PM
What have you learned?
That the other 10 of 11 are some of finest people I know.
Oh, and a crapload about vBulletin software.

zemekone
11-05-2008, 09:18 PM
That the other 10 of 11 are some of finest people I know.

i think thats nine cuz im not fine... :hn

too much about vBulletin...

and when it comes down to its all about "Communities Not Commodities"

pnoon
11-05-2008, 09:29 PM
i think thats nine cuz im not fine... :hn

Yep. U nuthin' but trash. :rolleyes:

zemekone
11-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Yep. U nuthin' but trash. :rolleyes:

im just tryin to matter :D

SmokeyJoe
11-05-2008, 09:34 PM
I have learned that...

... I have made some great and true friends of folks from all walks of life - who don't look or think just like me - and I think of them as true brothers and sisters.

... there truly are people of integrity and principle in this cynical wolrd.

... "Pay it Forward" is a rare attitude to find - and this place is full of men and women who live it as a lifestyle.

... I want to be a contributing part of this forum for a long time. :ss

mmblz
11-05-2008, 09:36 PM

:tpd:

How much work it is to truly customize a forum...

pnoon
11-05-2008, 09:45 PM

How much work it is to truly customize a forum...

You, my friend, have done the lion's share of the techie stuff. Without you, we would not be where we are today. We are all in your debt.

poker
11-05-2008, 09:46 PM
What have I learned?

I think besides the points others have already made, is that it's all about the friends we have made, and have yet to make.

Cigar Asylum has taught me that I am not alone.

Cigar Asylum has taught me that giving of ones self truly is a gift.

Cigar Asylum has taught me that Da Klugs can put thoughts into words in a way that I could never do.

Cigar Asylum has taught me that sometimes my best ideas are not very good.

Cigar Asylum has taught me that with 10 other fine gentlemen, we made a dream come to life. In just 5 days.

Cigar Asylum has taught me that this place is nothing without all of you reading this.

Darrell
11-05-2008, 09:47 PM
I've learned that the things that really matter in a cigar community is not the cigars, it's the people. It's those people who make a difference in your day, the rolled up pieces of tobacco are just what brought us together. :2

pnoon
11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Cigar Asylum has taught me that with 10 other fine gentlemen, we made a dream come to life. In just 5 days.

I am still in awe about this.

Cigar Asylum has taught me that this place is nothing without all of you reading this.
Ain't THAT the truth.

macms
11-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Peter, your sig tag speaks to one of my core beliefs.

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. - Winston Churchill

CA's existence and everyone I've befriended here is a testament to this truth without exception. There are precious few things of this world where this can be said.

Old Sailor
11-05-2008, 10:49 PM
That I have many friends here!:dance::dance:

Da Klugs
11-05-2008, 10:51 PM
That I have many friends here!:dance::dance:

Well I dont know about that...:)

One for sure. :salute:

poker
11-05-2008, 10:54 PM
One for sure. :salute:

two for sure :D

bobarian
11-06-2008, 12:32 AM
I have learned that...

... I have made some great and true friends of folks from all walks of life - who don't look or think just like me - and I think of them as true brothers and sisters.

... there truly are people of integrity and principle in this cynical wolrd.

... "Pay it Forward" is a rare attitude to find - and this place is full of men and women who live it as a lifestyle.

... I want to be a contributing part of this forum for a long time. :ss

:tpd::tpd::tpd: Home is where your friends play!

icehog3
11-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Friends will stick together, regardless of where. :)

If you build it, we will come.

Discovering cigars has brought me some of the most cherished friends I will ever have.

Don Fernando
11-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Well said! For me it's an extension of our past in a "safe place". For folks new to our community the hope is that the things that made our group interactions special to each of us continue for new members through all of us living up to the spirit of our upbringing and the continued joy of fellowship only a vibrant and fun forum can provide.

Bottom line .. I have learned that it is the group of special participants that makes a place unique, warm and inviting, not the URL.

:tpd: well said Dave.

gnukfu
11-06-2008, 09:42 AM
I've learned that my avatar pic looks way kewl in the larger size on this forum....

macpappy
11-06-2008, 10:02 AM
I have learned that a cigar is nothing but a bunch of tobacco leaves.....

until strong hands roll them together so they can age....

until some retailer makes them available to those who wish to buy them...

and let them rest in their humidor until they are introduced to fire...

at which time, if everything else was done properly, they become a good smoke.

I have learned that most forums are just a place where most people tend to make a$$es out of themselves...

I have learned that the Asylum is a forum where good friends who have never physically met get together to discuss things that matter to them.

md4958
11-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Gentlemen, the statements you made above all hold true for me also.

But mostly I have learned that people can suprise you. The generosity of these members leaves me speechless at times.

G G
11-06-2008, 12:04 PM

What have you learned?

You said it better than I could, thanks brother.:tu

ahc4353
11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Well lets see.......

I have learned that the MODS and the MEMBERS are very tolerant people.

I have learned that I have friends that I know I can count on. Some I have yet to shake their hands but I know I can count on them.

I have learned that a sense of humor tempered with common sense is a valuable thing.

I have learned that PMing a person explaining your position has a way of making both of you understand each others position better than a post.

I have learned that you can mend fences that were once broken.

I have learned that people care, more than you think.

I have learned that a MOD here can make a point and keep a thread on track with a simple sentence because they are respected. (See: HERE (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpost.php?p=54782&postcount=7))

I have learned that we as members are damn lucky to have MODs that will talk to you long before they hit the ban button.

I have learned how to correctly light a cigar. (Never knew it could make such a difference, thanks Klugs)

I have learned that Sailors bombs will land, one day.

I have learned to be thankful for what I have. Other people have it worse.

I have learned that if I forgot something and add it later I will be called a postwhore. :D

Darrell
11-06-2008, 12:22 PM
two for sure :D

Make that 3. :tu

mrreindeer
11-06-2008, 12:29 PM

What have you learned?

http://www.cigaroutcast.com/forum/images/smilies/goodpost.gif

I honestly can't say it any better, my friend. And hey, my newest phonepal, I owe you a ring.

This is a great place [said by the dude at the bottom of the pile]
http://www.cigaroutcast.com/forum/images/smilies/party0028.gif

Skywalker
11-06-2008, 01:28 PM
You have all said it better than I could!

I've learned how to be a giver! My wife said she noticed this after I joined our "old asylum" and it is due to the people who live here now... in the new asylum!

I was met with open arms and selfless generosity and then I realized that giving is fun! When I give something away I don't lose anything at all! Really, I gain so much - friendship, respect, appreciation, camaraderie, Herfs, new ideas, new perspective, and new insight!!!

I can't even say this is my extended family! You are my family! I don't know all the inmates but those I do know are my brothers and sisters. You have welcomed me into your houses, garages, backyards and hearts! In turn I have welcomed you!

I am humbled by who and what I have found here!

I am a better person because of you!

ca21455
11-06-2008, 04:58 PM
I learned the Internet was not just a place where someone was out to steal your identity or rip you off but something that can be good and uplifting thanks to all the fine people here.