PDA

View Full Version : Tatuaje Black Tubos

OHRD
08-04-2010, 08:37 AM
http://www.toastedfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Tatuaje-Black-Tubos-Cigar-2-555x188.jpg

Size: 6.5×52, Torpedo

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun Grown Criollo Esteli

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Full

Price: Box of 10, $139.99

Grade: 9.2

Tatuaje – man, we love some Tatuaje cigars, so keep that in mind – though we try and remain objective here. The newly released El Triunfador, the Cabaiguan (and Guapo), and the value line Series P have kept Matt occupied, while I’ve been nubbing the Havana VI – we really love some Tatuaje…there is a little something for everybody, and we like that – a lot.

Today we are taking a look at the Tubos from the Tatuaje Black Line, blended of course by Pepin Garcia. The Black Line was created to be Pete Johnson’s personal blend and it thankfully made its way to the rest of us. It started as a single size, a Corona Gorda, was later released in a three pack of Robustos, and then again as a Toro for the CRA Sampler. And today we are looking at the fourth size, the Torpedo, which comes in a black tube. Despite a limited release of only 4,600 boxes, these are actually fairly easy to come by online as of now. The Black Tubos was released with a sister blend, the Verocu (Red) Tubos, which is a more full-bodied blend of the Havana VI line.

As we said, we’ve really come to enjoy the cigars from Pete Johnson and Pepin Garcia, and I don’t expect this one to be that much different – but, each smoke is a new experience, so let’s toast it and see what happens!

Pre-light, 1.7:
The packaging of the Tatuaje Black Tubos is striking. The black tube, coupled with the simple band, really grab the eye. The sun-grown wrapper is medium brown, very toothy, and has lots of veins and edges; this is a really rustic looking smoke. The unfinished shaggy foot is a nice touch and it enhances the rugged appearance of this torpedo. The cigar is well packed with no soft spots and a well-constructed cap, however there is bit of glue present and visible towards the head of the smoke. The pre-light aroma is minimal but there is some spice at the foot. The cold draw is full of warm spice and increases my anticipation of firing this one up.

Burn, 1.8:
The draw is nice with a proper amount of resistance and the smoke temperature is consistent on this Tat. The ash holds for a good inch before I knocked it off; the ash is flaky at times but is consistent in color. The burn does get a little out of line but it corrects itself so no touch ups or re-lights are needed on this stick.

Flavor, 2.9:
The first puff on this smoke is of solid tobacco with a hint of spice and the first third opens up with spice, solid tobacco, and a hint of sweetness on the finish that is very pleasant. The second third finds a nutty or woody tobacco with a continued spice and the finish is still long with a bit of sweetness still present as well. The tobacco and spice are really balanced at this point and this makes for a very enjoyable smoke. The last third doesn’t really transition except for a small increase in spice. Again, the balance is excellent and the long finish is heavy on the palate throughout the duration of the smoke. The complexity on this smoke is very enticing.

Overall, 2.8:
I really enjoyed this smoke, even on a hot summer evening here in Georgia – though it did add a few drips of sweat. Particular the balance of flavors, coupled with a long finish, really make this a complex and enjoyable smoke. This is out of my price range for an everyday smoke, but if you can snag a few to fire up here and there, I highly recommend that you do so before they are gone. The price per stick is worth the ride as this is a solid smoke.

(Total: 9.2)

kelmac07
08-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Nice review Matthew...my favorite Tatauje by far!! :tu :tu

OHRD
08-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Nice review Matthew...my favorite Tatauje by far!! :tu :tu

Wow! What others rank high for you?

warren G.
08-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Nice review, there's a lot of mixed reviews on this cigar. I'm glad you enjoy your stick :)

bscottskangum
08-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the review!

Darrell
08-04-2010, 10:13 AM
I really DISLIKE the unfinished foot on these. I have yet to have one of these that was anything more than meh. Thanks for the review.

OHRD
08-04-2010, 10:15 AM
I really DISLIKE the unfinished foot on these. I have yet to have one of these that was anything more than meh. Thanks for the review.

Definitely seems to be hit or miss on this one - heard some say Top 5 Cigars, others say its Tatuaje's worst cigar...

Darrell
08-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Definitely seems to be hit or miss on this one - heard some say Top 5 Cigars, others say its Tatuaje's worst cigar...

Honestly, I'm leaning towards the latter. It's pretty bad.

OHRD
08-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Honestly, I'm leaning towards the latter. It's pretty bad.

Are there other Tats you like?

Darrell
08-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Are there other Tats you like?

Yeah.

I like the J21, Havana Cazadores, Noellas, etc.

Goldie
08-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I just had one of these a few months ago and wasn't overly impressed by it. Maybe they just need some more down time.

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good.

nofeardiver
05-11-2011, 11:49 AM
I heard this have to sit for 6-8 months min before its a decent cigar, i have had two in my humi the last 2 my b&m had so i grabbed them, and they have been in my humi for about a year now... looking forward to trying them out...

cigarlvr
05-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Both these and the reds have improved so much. Just finished up a black tubo and it was very enjoyable.

N2 GOLD
05-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Nice review, thanks... :tu