PDA

View Full Version : How many trips to Lowes does it take...

Chainsaw13
08-01-2010, 06:12 PM
...to replace a bathtub drain gasket? In my case, 4.

The drain on my bathtub's been leaking on/off for a while now. Nothing bad, but enough to give me a wet foot should I go down to the basement anytime shortly after using the shower. The drain just happens to be right above the bottom step. So this past week the leak became a bit more pronounced. Today I decided to finally get off my lazy a$$ and fix it.

Trip 1 - head to Lowes to get the tool that'll remove the drain. Tried the screwdriver/channel locks trick. No go there. Try the removal tool. Still not budging and now the metal bars at the bottom of the drain are nearly bent and broken off.

Trip 2 - back to Lowes to get a hacksaw to cut a notch in the old drain to fit a flat head screwdriver in. Use a hammer and screwdriver to break the drain free. Hey, that $13 removal tool actually works now that things are all loosened up. I'll find a nice spot in my tool chest for it, next to that tool for ratcheting parking brake calipers back in.

Trip 3 - pull into my usual parking spot to head inside to get a new drain and gaskets. Girl working the return counter just inside the door waves and calls me by name as she says hello. New drain in hand, head home to finish this "easy" job. Hmm...1950's plumbing, 2010 drain fitting. They don't make things like they used to, now they're bigger!

Trip 4 - find that my usual parking spot now has a sign up reserving the spot just for me. Girl at return counter just laughs as I trudge back in, but cordially helps me return the new drain I bought 30mins earlier. Seems I need a whole drain kit. Lowes doesn't sell just the drain pipe separately. Head back home what I hope is the last time, and start to install the new pieces only to find that I need a 2nd set of hands. Damn PVC. Stuff is easy to crossthread. Call my buddy over who helps keep things in place while I can line things up. A few more turns of the wrench and voila', I now have a leak free tub.

Basking in my Bob Vila moment, I think I"m going to enjoy me a Opus PL.

icehog3
08-01-2010, 06:14 PM
You have a bathtub in your van?

;) :r

Chingas
08-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Opus is the right choice for that victory.

Coach Deg
08-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Nice!!!!

Smokin Gator
08-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Weekdays I average probably 3 times a day...

Ogre
08-01-2010, 06:44 PM
The average for a plumbing job is 4, electrical 2, and painting 1. My average to this point.

Skywalker
08-01-2010, 07:16 PM
I've had plenty of days like that!!!

Congrats!!!:tu

kelmac07
08-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I've had plenty of days like that!!!
:tu

:tpd: Me too!!

Chainsaw13
08-01-2010, 07:38 PM

Why, yes I do. And a basement :D

Eleven
08-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Feeling your pain. I think I have returned more things to Lowes/Home Depot in the last 2 years than I have to every other store combined, ever.

I spread it out though, there are several of each store where I live, so my Man-image is intact :)

Chainsaw13
08-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Well, I can understand what all the fuss is about with regards to the Opus PL. Damn fine smoke. Took me about an hour and 20 mins to finish. Started off kinda slow but really kicked in after about a 1/3rd of the way through.

Chingas
08-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Well, I can understand what all the fuss is about with regards to the Opus PL. Damn fine smoke. Took me about an hour and 20 mins to finish. Started off kinda slow but really kicked in after about a 1/3rd of the way through.

Well deserved after the day you had, no doubt.

Salvelinus
08-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Feeling your pain. I think I have returned more things to Lowes/Home Depot in the last 2 years than I have to every other store combined, ever.

I spread it out though, there are several of each store where I live, so my Man-image is intact :)

So that's why I have one within 20 miles of me in every direction.

Got to reward yourself after jobs like that, otherwise you just won't do it next time around.

gpugliese
08-01-2010, 08:08 PM
I think I've been at Lowes and/or Home Depot nearly every day I've had off since we got our house.

Almost starting to feel like that "Money Pit" movie. LOL

BC-Axeman
08-01-2010, 08:19 PM
The average for a plumbing job is 4, electrical 2, and painting 1. My average to this point.
As soon as I saw the title I thought "this is going to be about plumbing."

thebayratt
08-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a leaking toilet and have tried to fix it three seperate times, so i feal your pain.

I work @ Lowe's and hate covering plumbing........

Either things don't fit, wrong size, or a deadbeat husband sends his wife to get a fitting to fit a piece of pipe thats "this big around" comming out of the wall (making a circle with her fingers)......
I can understand when customers don't know exactly what they need to finish the job, thats why we are there to try and help them........ but the a-holes who come in there ask you for help and expect you to read thier mind.... so I ask simple questions to deduct what they are needing and they pissy when you ask them questions.....really grinds my gears. [rant over]

Good choice of smoke and we thank you for shopping at Lowe's!!!

XTRazzer
08-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Had to do drainage pipes around a house and think that was about four trips to get different fittings and such. Then one trip to return all the stuff I didn't use. Sometimes it's just easier to toss stuff in the cart.

thebayratt - my luck tends to be the opposite. The "associate" asks if they can help then looks dumbfounded when I tell him/her what I'm trying to find. Asking for self-cutting deck screws seems to get me funny looks too.

Big_Ern
08-01-2010, 10:54 PM
silicone would have taken 2 minutes = more time for smoking.
just saying....:2
on the other hand my wife asks me if I have everything I could possibly need to do the job before she lets me out of the store. thats when I start to tell her about the new tools I need to finish the job. :D:D ya she never falls for that either.

Chingas
08-01-2010, 10:58 PM
thats when I start to tell her about the new tools I need to finish the job. :D:D ya she never falls for that either.

Does anyones'?