PDA

View Full Version : Omar Ortez Original Maduro Toro

insanebikerboy
08-01-2010, 05:36 PM
My first review!

Pretty new to cigars, so this is the first maduro I've had. This wrapper looks pure black to me, although I guess maduros are supposed to be a really dark brown.

Prelight:
After cutting the tip off, the prelight draw seemed fairly firm, not difficult by any means. I got a very strong taste of bittersweet chocolate, and the tobacco aroma wasn't too strong. A little bit of a tingle on the lips, not much.

First Third:
I am still trying to get the lighting technique down. I have an old butane lighter that I carry in my flight bag that burns like a torch and I've been using that. I think I may have scorched the foot a bit as there was a little bit of a burnt taste. At any rate, the cigar is pretty smooth, an even burn. Lots of billowing white smoke out of the cigar with a nice smell to it. Still has a bittersweet chocolate taste, mixed in with a touch of black pepper.

Second Third:
The second third was much like the first. I'm trying to learn snorking to see if I can pick up any nuances of the flavors, not much luck so far. Still though, smooth taste and nice draw.

Third Third:
The cigar is really coming on strong as I type this. Very strong tobacco taste, and I actually think I tasted sweet apples of all things! Surprised the heck out of me on that one. I did have to relight it, I got up to start my grill and it went out. Luckily I didn't have any of the burnt taste that I got in the beginning. Finished up the cigar and kept getting that hint of apple taste.

This was a pretty good cigar. My first maduro like I said so I don't know how it compares but I was pleased overall.

kelmac07
08-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Great first review Red and of a great stick!! I really enjoy these. Although I have never gotten the apple taste. :tu