PDA

View Full Version : This gets addicting fast.

pektel
07-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Smoked the last of my cigars last night. So I headed to the CI website this morning to buy a few. Ended up buying 20 lol. I realize that's a small purchase for some of you, but I only have a small cheap CI humi so I don't have room to store much more right now.

Got a 5 pack of each CAO Bazilia Gol! and Gold robusto, and a mild dominican sampler 10-pack. I had to stop myself from adding more to the cart!

And it begins... :D

LasciviousXXX
07-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Good job!

In time you'll be posting that you just bought 4 boxes and now you need to open another credit card to buy a bigger humi :tu

LOL

bvilchez
07-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Slide Slide Slippety Slide

kelmac07
07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
It happens so fast too!! :r :r

Mr B
07-29-2010, 12:00 PM
It hapens so fast too!! :r :r

You got that right!

:r

issues
07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
It happens so fast too!! :r :r

You got that right!

:r

All too true! I'm living proof!!! :r

pektel
07-29-2010, 12:04 PM
I was actually looking at a box, but decided I don't have a proper place to put it yet.

In good time...

e-man67
07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
You know when it is getting bad when you go from ordering a box...to 2 boxes..to 3 boxes..to 4 boxes at one time..never let boxes travel alone and the ALWAYS have to travel in pairs (new motto)! Even numbers make perfect symmetry and harmonious fung shway.

**Confucius say "listen to e-man's BS.. go broke quick."**

dwoodward
07-29-2010, 12:20 PM
You should have ordered a larger 40-50 ct humidor. Might last you a few more months lol... A lot of them come with 10-15ct sampler packs for free on CI.

Good luck with your addiction, so far I have been pretty stable, but i keep looking at CI for new deals, and keep finding myself itching to click the buy button. (New job needs to get worked out first tho)

ucla695
07-29-2010, 12:24 PM
It takes on a life of its own. :D

Bax
07-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Put the credit card down and back slowly away... trust me. ;)

Chingas
07-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Isnt this coming from a guy who was loosing the "Possession" Battle!!!

Good luck with the addiction, i fear the only cure is Death.

MajorCaptSilly
07-29-2010, 01:04 PM
You're absolutely right. If I might give you recommendations that I wish I had when I started out:

1. Take notes on the cigars you smoke. You want to know and remember what you like and don't like in a cigar. They don't have to be like wine tasting notes or anything. Too mild, too strong, I liked it, I hated it.
2. Post some reviews whether you like them or not. You'll get comments pointing to some other stuff you might like and stuff to stay away from if you didn't like the cigar reviewed.
3. When you like a cigar, use the search function here and find other reviews on that cigar to find others you may like.
4. Don't buy a box until you've smoked at least 3 of a cigar you enjoy. It's amazing how different a cigar may taste in different settings. Something you really enjoyed the first time may not be so good the second or third try.
5. On the same line, don't make hasty judgments on a cigar based on your first try. If there are any redeeming qualities, give it another shot before writing it off.
6. Your preference in cigars will probably evolve. You may like them mild now and may want something stronger in the future or vice versa.

MCS

dwoodward
07-29-2010, 01:06 PM
You're absolutely right. If I might give you recommendations that I wish I had when I started out:

1. Take notes on the cigars you smoke. You want to know and remember what you like and don't like in a cigar. They don't have to be like wine tasting notes or anything. Too mild, too strong, I liked it, I hated it.
2. Post some reviews whether you like them or not. You'll get comments pointing to some other stuff you might like and stuff to stay away from if you didn't like the cigar reviewed.
3. When you like a cigar, use the search function here and find other reviews on that cigar to find others you may like.
4. Don't buy a box until you've smoked at least 3 of a cigar you enjoy. It's amazing how different a cigar may taste in different settings. Something you really enjoyed the first time may not be so good the second or third try.
5. On the same line, don't make hasty judgments on a cigar based on your first try. If there are any redeeming qualities, give it another shot before writing it off.
6. Your preference in cigars will probably evolve. You may like them mild now and may want something stronger in the future or vice versa.

MCS

:tpd:

ucla695
07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Great advice MCS! :tu

Chingas
07-29-2010, 01:09 PM

MCS

Couldn't have said it better. Great advice.

yourchoice
07-29-2010, 01:11 PM

MCS

This is too well stated to be silly...who posted this? :tu

stewshi
07-29-2010, 01:13 PM

MCS

Totally agree with this I fight the urge to buy boxes of a single I have tried just because I have found a good deal. There are so many cigars out there try a few before you make rash decisions and end up with 18 cigars you no longer enjoy. Although you can donate said cigars to the troops.

pektel
07-29-2010, 01:22 PM

I've learned my lesson with credit cards and "hobbies" lol. Now for any of my extra purchases, I use PP with my bank account.

MCS

All noted, and thanks for the recommendations! I've only been taping the bands of favorites to the lid of my humi. The one I have from CI is the mosaic one that looks like a bunch of bands anyways.

pektel
07-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Oh, and I mispoke earlier. I was going to buy the gold robustos, but at teh last minute changed to a 5 pack of cao l'anniversaire cameroon robusto. I've had the gold already, and wanted to try something different.

And for $14 a 5 pack, how can you go wrong?

Gophernut
07-29-2010, 02:26 PM
And for $14 a 5 pack, how can you go wrong?

Preaching to the choir! That's the same logic that I use on my wife when I get a package in the mail. "Well the same cigars would have cost me $50 from the cigar shop. I could hardly afford NOT to buy them."

Good luck.

kgoings
07-29-2010, 02:31 PM
This should fix your 'small humidor' problem

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33481

neoflex
07-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Oh I remember the days when a 25 count was more than sufficient. This hobby was much much cheaper than. :D I'm now shopping for a tower since the wife gave me the green light and I keep growing out of everything I add.

marge796
07-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Enjoy the ride, Peter! It's all down hill from here.

:ss

Chris.....

pektel
07-29-2010, 03:10 PM
See, my problem is my logic is already starting to change. I'm no longer thinkng about what I'm going to smoke tomorrow. I'm starting to think I need to put some away in a humi to age...

dwoodward
07-29-2010, 03:35 PM
See, my problem is my logic is already starting to change. I'm no longer thinkng about what I'm going to smoke tomorrow. I'm starting to think I need to put some away in a humi to age...

How do you hope to age with a tiny 20ct box?

You need a much larger humidor if your looking at aging.

Chingas
07-29-2010, 03:35 PM

Wise man...

shilala
07-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Peter, get involved in the newbie sampler trade here. It's a great way to try some different cigars. The long timers will send you some tried and true stuff, and it'll give you a great shove in the right direction.
And all the stuff The Captain said. :tu

pektel
07-29-2010, 03:39 PM
How do you hope to age with a tiny 20ct box?

You need a much larger humidor if your looking at aging.

lol. I have a wet bar in my den. There is a perfect place for a small cabinet humi in there. The space is about 24"wide by 48" high. I can probably fit a decent amount in there. :tu

pektel
07-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Peter, get involved in the newbie sampler trade here. It's a great way to try some different cigars. The long timers will send you some tried and true stuff, and it'll give you a great shove in the right direction.
And all the stuff The Captain said. :tu

I'm going to as soon as I get this next order in. I only had 8 cigars when I first signed up here.

sevans105
07-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Peter, I hear ya. Huge warning on "the devil site" It is highly addictive. Much more so than the actual nicotine. I just looked at my most recent invoice...I have 130 cigars coming on Tuesday!!!!! I had no idea. I was just clicking and buying stuff that looked cool, that brother's had recommended. Crazy. Luckily I have lots of friends who love my addiction as much as I do. :)

shilala
07-29-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm going to as soon as I get this next order in. I only had 8 cigars when I first signed up here.
You can go ahead and get on the list now, I'd imagine. I'm not sure how busy it is right now, but some time there's a long wait.
I'll check it and see if there's room for me to get in on it. It's been awhile since I've been involved.

pektel
07-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey, another Minnesotan! :D

Yeah, the auto detailing forum I frequent is the same way, except with detailing supplies, $1000 waxes, etc. I'm thinking I can use the money from paying detail jobs to help support this new habit.

pektel
07-29-2010, 04:01 PM
You can go ahead and get on the list now, I'd imagine. I'm not sure how busy it is right now, but some time there's a long wait.
I'll check it and see if there's room for me to get in on it. It's been awhile since I've been involved.

Thanks, bud. I'll check it out soon!

sevans105
07-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Hey, another Minnesotan! :D

Yeah, the auto detailing forum I frequent is the same way, except with detailing supplies, $1000 waxes, etc. I'm thinking I can use the money from paying detail jobs to help support this new habit.

There are a few of us on here. Most of them are in the Twin Cities. I'm way down south in Fairmont. I started a thread to try and organize the Minnesota guys a bit. You can follow it here http://http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33880 (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33880) Enjoy the ride brother!

Scott:tu

pektel
07-29-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm up north in Grand Rapids. Not in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from my deck.

Ogre
07-29-2010, 08:45 PM

MCS

The Master has spoken, nothing else to say!!:banger:banger

Garbandz
07-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Spend money on a good humidor that will hold 100 to 150 smokes.Ask your local B&M dealer to help you season it properly,or check the threads here for procedures.
Get good extras like humidifier and hygrometer,the cheap stuff does not last and may not be accurate
Put off box purchases until you have had time to try lots of smokes and your palate has advanced a little.A good deal on a box you do not like any more really is not a deal.
Try the sampler packs available,generally the cost per smoke is reasonable and you get more exposure for your money.
If you are interested in ageing,try some of the pre aged smokes from Patel and others to be sure you like the profile.Some of the folks in my group prefer new smokes,some prefer aged smokes.
Ask questions or check out the wealth if info available on this site.There are a lot of members who have been down this road ahead of you,who are happy to make your trip more enjoyable.

bsmokin
07-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Some great advice accumulating in this thread... perhaps it should be made sticky?

BC-Axeman
07-30-2010, 11:12 AM

MCSWow! QFT again. This should be in a sticky somewhere prominent.

Seriously, from MCS, no less.

Chingas
07-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Well said Brother.

pektel
07-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Oh boy. jc has a 10 pack of Vegas gold maduro torpedos on sale right now. That sounds mighty tasty to me...

must... resist...