PDA

View Full Version : Animal Farm - a classic read

massphatness
11-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Just got done with Orwell's Animal Farm again today. Quick but brilliant read. It got me to thinking of favorite quotes and passages from the book. Mine is probably:

Do not imagine, comrades, that leadership is a pleasure. On the contrary, it is a deep and heavy responsibility. No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

Anyone else love this book as much as me?

:eevis
11-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Yup 1984 and Animal Farm are both in my rotation of reading. Love 'em. Kind of a scary look into politics. Especially this time in history, makes you think a lot about how we as people, and many sheeple, are governed. Makes me glad that I am an educated voter!

croatan
11-05-2008, 03:09 PM
All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.

G G
11-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Liked it quite a lot. Been a long time since I read it though.:ss

massphatness
11-05-2008, 03:29 PM
I find it poignant and relevant on many levels. So much so that this isn't the only site I posted it on. And I rarely double post.

SmokeyJoe
11-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Funny you mention "Animal Farm." My 20-year-old son and I were discussing it just last night... :ss

Great book... I first read it in 8th grade.

:eevis
11-05-2008, 04:01 PM
I find it poignant and relevant on many levels. So much so that this isn't the only site I posted it on. And I rarely double post.

That's funny, because i rarely post a reply to the same topic on multiple sites :r

SteveA
11-05-2008, 06:41 PM
One of the best college classes I ever took was Philosophy of Political Thought. Among other things we had to read and analyze "Animal Farm". I never looked at that book the same way.

Starscream
11-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Been awhile since I read it, but I'm thinking of teaching it in class this year in my 9th grade low-level English class.