http://www.toastedfoot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Caliber-58_1-555x151.jpg

Size: 4×58, Robusto

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Oscuro

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Medium

Price: $4.60

Grade: 9.0

Miami Cigar has had a recent explosion of new cigar offerings in the Nestor Miranda Collection, including the Special Selection (review), Dominicano (review), the mixed filler 1989 (review), and now the Calibre 58. They’ve also been a part of recent conversations due to the release of some new cigars they distribute, including the highly regarded La Aurora 107 (review), and also because of their recent distribution break from EO Brands, which is now being distributed by Rocky Patel Premium Cigars.

Today’s review is of the newly released Calibre 58. The Calibre began as a house blend for Miami Cigar, which they wanted to be a different size from their current mass produced offerings – thus, the large ring gauge. The Calibre is available in two shapes, both 4×58, and two wrappers – a Robusto and Torpedo shape and a Rosado and Oscuro wrapper; the wrapper selection is much the same as the Special Selections.

By way of disclaimer, these cigars were sent to us gratis by Miami Cigar Company, who is also a sponsor of Toasted Foot. You can follow Miami Cigar on Twitter, or visit them online.

Now, on to the toast!

Pre-light, 1.8:
The new smoke from Miami Cigars is a tough looking smoke – medium brown, well packed, and a few veins. It is inviting to the eye. There are no soft spots to speak of and the cap is well constructed on the head of the smoke. I do not pick up a lot of notes along the wrapper but there is a mixture of earth and spice at the foot. The cold draw does not give off a blast of flavor either, but is of solid tobacco with a hint of spice.

Burn, 1.7:
The Calibre cut clean, toasted well, and is burning very evenly with a nice draw that produces plenty of smoke. The ash holds well past one inch before I bump it off and the color of the burned tobacco is consistent. The smoke emitted from this “house blend” is very aromatic and dense. The smoke temperature is excellent and the short length, combined with the larger ring gauge, really produces a good smoking experience in this regard. The burn line did get out of line a couple of times and, on one of my samples, a touch up and re-light was needed.

Flavor, 2.7
The first puff on this stick produces notes of nutty tobacco that is almost creamy, with no spice coming through at all. The first third continues this trend with a touch of spice introducing itself on the finish about one half inch in. The spice is very mild and is really a nice note that complements the tobacco flavors. The flavor profile in the second third is still dominated by the tobacco notes that range from nutty to earthy at times. The spice increases a bit, but it is still very mild, and is not a pepper spice, just a warm spice. The last third stuck with the above profile, not much change at all. Overall, this was not a very complex cigar and at times even one-dimensional.

Overall, 2.8:
The Calibre from Miami Cigars is a solid addition to their growing line. The large ring gauge and short length is not something I typically enjoy, but I did have a good time smoking these. The easy draw, mouthful of smoke, and flavor were the highlights for me. Retailing at $4.60 a stick, this one is worth a try; it was in the medium strength range for me and really hit the spot on a miserably hot summer night in Georgia.

(Total: 9.0)