PDA

View Full Version : I Think I Need A Doctor!

rhmalone
07-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Okay, so I finally did it, after a few years of being a regular cigar smoker, I finally tried an AF Curly Head. The flavor was great, but I dang near gave myself a hernia keeping the thing burning. I imagine this is due in part to it being a short filler cigar. Is this correct?

dwoodward
07-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Usually when a cigar is going out all the time it is because of too much RH in your humidor.

Emjaysmash
07-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Dry it out some. Like Derrick said, its the RH.

JJG
07-26-2010, 08:48 PM
still have never tried a curly head. I thought they were gross, no?

bobarian
07-26-2010, 09:25 PM
The type of filler has no bearing on draw or burn. If it keeps going out that is an indication of storage at too high a Rh. There are some sticks now using a ligero wrapper and that causes burn problems due to the slow or irregular burn of the ligero leaf. That is why ligero is generally used as a filler leaf. But Curly Heads do not have a ligero wrapper. :2

rhmalone
07-27-2010, 05:57 AM
still have never tried a curly head. I thought they were gross, no?

I found it to be a rather enjoyable (minus the burn issue) and tasty smoke. For the price, it's hard to beat.

d'am
07-27-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm looking at picking up a few, but draw issues would be a deal breaker for me. Has anyone had curly heads without draw problems? Or is this a known issue?

kaisersozei
07-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Hernia? I'm trying to figure out how you light your cigars

Chingas
07-27-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm looking at picking up a few, but draw issues would be a deal breaker for me. Has anyone had curly heads without draw problems? Or is this a known issue?

I've had a few with no issues on any of them. Thought it was a good afternoon while your working in the shop kinda smoke. Not too much to pay attention to there. It's good on the course too and for moderate to almost non smokers on the course. They seem to enjoy them.

RustyShackleford
07-27-2010, 05:59 PM
I think I could just be wet. I have not had any curly heads but I was given a few locally made John Hay cigars a few months ago that were so wet if I squeezed them hard enough I probably could have got some moisture out of them. (Ok maybe not but you get my point):)

I let them dry out for a few months and they smoked fine with no problem of getting smoke out of them.

They certainly were not the best cigars I have ever smoked but not to bad for what their price is and for being short filler...

Volt
07-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Tbone smokes the curley heads all the time - a favorite of his. He has never mentioned any burn problems. He keeps his at 65%.

rhmalone
07-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Tbone smokes the curley heads all the time - a favorite of his. He has never mentioned any burn problems. He keeps his at 65%.

Interesting, as that's what my beads are... and I know I tend to run a bit dryer than that usually.

dwoodward
07-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Interesting, as that's what my beads are... and I know I tend to run a bit dryer than that usually.

It's possible you ran into a stem... stems really can hurt the burn on any cigar.