PDA

View Full Version : Cigars becoming like baseball cards?

TripleF
07-24-2010, 09:44 AM
I remember when Topps, Bowman and Donruss were the main baseball card companies. Then came Upper Deck. Then Skybox. The Fleer Ultra. Then blah, blah.

Then there were subsets. Then subsets of the subsets. Then "one of's". Then game used jerseys. And so on.

The cigar industry is reminding me of the same thing. It's not just having a box of, let's say Fuente's, it's having an Anejos, or better yet a cameroon wrapped Anejo.

Your thoughts?

-

kelmac07
07-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Oh yes!! The days of hunting inserts...now it has turned into hunting sticks.

It's madness I tell ya!! :r :r :r

The Poet
07-24-2010, 10:10 AM
One difference I see - with baseball cards, you buy a pack in the hope that it might have that "limited edition hologram platinum signed rookie throwback contest winning" card inside, thus giving you a windfall as well as as a delighting treat. With cigars, they don't toss these primos into random boxes of the "regular" line, and instead expect you to pony up for a stick they tell you is "special", but which may totally suck.

Buena Fortuna
07-24-2010, 10:17 AM
I remember when Topps, Bowman and Donruss were the main baseball card companies. Then came Upper Deck. Then Skybox. The Fleer Ultra. Then blah, blah.

Then there were subsets. Then subsets of the subsets. Then "one of's". Then game used jerseys. And so on.

The cigar industry is reminding me of the same thing. It's not just having a box of, let's say Fuente's, it's having an Anejos, or better yet a cameroon wrapped Anejo.

Your thoughts?

-

Agree...

I used to try to stay out front of new releases, chasing the sticks to be one of the first to smoke them and offer my opinion to those who hadn't tried one yet. I soon found out that good, quality, consistent cigars are few and far between. I've stopped buying the hype completely, don't care anymore. Most cigars are rolled in the same factories, by the same people, with tobacco from the same fields. Everything beyond that is just marketing... :2

Bax
07-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I only hunt for cigars with an RG too large to fit in my mouth. I bet those will be worth something in a few years;)

MajorCaptSilly
07-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Good analogy. Rocky Patel is definitely the Upper Deck of cigar manufacturers. Now I'm off to put some coronas in my bike spokes.

MCS

TripleF
07-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Good analogy. Rocky Patel is definitely the Upper Deck of cigar manufacturers. Now I'm off to put some coronas in my bike spokes.

MCS

:r :r :r

T.G
07-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Ya know, I was just wondering why the box of cigars I bought the other day came with a stick of stale bubble gum in it....

cort
07-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Now I just gotta get a new Beckett to see what my stash is worth:D

JJG
07-24-2010, 10:51 AM
I blame Fuente, since it seems they started the whole idea of ultra rare, one-of-kind footballs and culebras with stripes and polka dots, etc...

Not everybody does it, but certain cigar makers have certainly followed suit and embraced the whole idea of collectible limited runs with great success, (like Tatuaje). Regardless of whether or not you agree with it, limited editions seem to generate tons of publicity and excitement among cigar nuts like ourselves.

neoflex
07-24-2010, 10:58 AM
limited editions seem to generate tons of publicity and excitement among cigar nuts like ourselves.
We love to ***** about them but we all scour the ends of the earth hunting them down. We are a nutty bunch.:r

whodeeni
07-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Now I just gotta get a new Beckett to see what my stash is worth:D

It's called cigarcyclopedia.org!!!:r:r:r

muhren
07-24-2010, 04:42 PM
I like the concept of this thread! I couldn't agree more. We even have TRADES just like baseball cards. I'll give you five of these, for 2 of those and three of that. Hilarious and TRUE analogy.

JJG
07-24-2010, 09:19 PM
I was about to say, "I buy to smoke. period" and then I realized that there are a handful cigars in my collection I bought just because they are limited and I don't really have any plans to smoke them, like my Opus Sharks.

lol, how funny is it that even though I'm opposed to the idea of collectible cigars, I'm just as guilty of buying and stashing them just because they look cool in the humi. :r

E.J.
07-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Perfect analogy....

I was about to say, "I buy to smoke. period" and then I realized that there are a handful cigars in my collection I bought just because they are limited and I don't really have any plans to smoke them, like my Opus Sharks.

lol, how funny is it that even though I'm opposed to the idea of collectible cigars, I'm just as guilty of buying and stashing them just because they look cool in the humi. :r

A little off topic, but I had a cigar bet with a colleague( "a good cigar") and paid off with a opus & anejo shark... Told him it was a shark attack....:r He is a regular smoker(pipe and cigar, paid his last loss with a Opus Double Corona).... Fairly confident he had no idea WTF I was talking about....(not that there is anything wrong with that)

I still buy to smoke, though admittedly have a hard time smoking some stuff... Not that I have super rare stuff, but things like T110's & Opus Sharks have been bombed from my humi....but I have not smoked either....:confused:

cort
07-24-2010, 11:03 PM
It's called cigarcyclopedia.org!!!:r:r:r

touche'

sjnovakovich
07-25-2010, 09:58 AM
I agree with the original post. That's why I stick to the gars that were around when I started in the 70's. Pretty much stick to the Fuente stock brands, Partags, Montecristo.

SaltyMcGee
07-25-2010, 10:01 AM
So, which brand would be the Garbage Pail Kids? Gurkha?

newlifetaxidermy
07-26-2010, 11:39 AM
I think many of the manufacturers are trying to head that way. From my experience, I have found that the thrill of the chase outweighs the taste of victory. Trying to chase down every limited run smoke will wear you out physically, emotionally, and financially. The most disappointment I have experienced in cigar smoking has been with limited runs. While I have found some to be truly exceptional, most limited run stuff I have tried has not been as good as the regular production stuff. The Tat Drac and Black label and the Viaje TnT and Summerfest come to mind. I would buy and smoke them if they were regular production lines, but rather than chase down a mediocre cigar with a high price, I would rather smoke the cheaper regular production Tats and Viajes. This is no different than the sports card world. When I was a kid, all I wanted was to get one of the Santa Claus football cards...now you can buy them for less than $5. About the same time, I got a Brett Favre rookie card in a pack of Stadium Club....it went in the box with the rest of the "worthless" cards. Now these sell for $40+ depending on condition....go figure.

thebiglebowski
07-26-2010, 11:48 AM
i remember when it was just topps...

bobarian
07-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Cigars are not collectibles, they are consumables. Play the game if you want but in the end they are all meant to be burned. :rolleyes:

TripleF
07-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Cigars are not collectibles, they are consumables. Play the game if you want but in the end they are all meant to be burned. :rolleyes:

True. True. But I do like collecting this type of kindling :D

hank_612
07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
I would like a 2010 boxed set of fuente or padron. Or a signed Don Pepin black for my collection. I think Rocky is more like the stale useless bubblegum than any of the cards imho.

KenyanSandBoa
07-27-2010, 11:45 AM
One difference I see - with baseball cards, you buy a pack in the hope that it might have that "limited edition hologram platinum signed rookie throwback contest winning" card inside, thus giving you a windfall as well as as a delighting treat. With cigars, they don't toss these primos into random boxes of the "regular" line, and instead expect you to pony up for a stick they tell you is "special", but which may totally suck.

:tpd: And to be honest, it's pretty rare that I can justify spending so much more on a "special edition" versus the regular line. Perfect example for me is Tatuaje...I LOVE my Tats, but I won't shell out a ton of money to get my hands on the next special edition that could be near impossible to find, and when it's found, near impossible to afford.

I see it this way...when I was collecting baseball cards, I abandoned all of the sub-sets and just stuck with what I loved...I'll do the same for my cigars. :tu

T.G
07-27-2010, 11:56 AM

I heard that Pete Johnson was going to randomly toss one uber-rare, solid gold, transforming into a motorcycle, talking, painted, tattooed cigar made from twenty-three different tobaccos into 3.1415 regular production boxes of cigars each year.

But then some jerk on the w00t.com forum whined about legalities and so he couldn't.

audio1der
07-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Wait until you delve into Cubans.
Regional releases and Edicion Limitadas, each commanding a premium.. to each their own...

TripleF
07-28-2010, 07:12 AM
Wait until you delve into Cubans.
Regional releases and Edicion Limitadas, each commanding a premium.. to each their own...

I like using those in the spokes on my bike :tu

KenyanSandBoa
07-28-2010, 11:00 AM
I like using those in the spokes on my bike :tu

:r:r

You are definitely quite the Cuban connoisseur, Scott. :tu

Subvet642
07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I have zero interest in limited/special edition cigars at all. If I paid $20+ bucks for a stogie, I'd never be able to get myself to smoke it, and what good is that?

Tredegar
07-31-2010, 03:21 PM
I just wonder how many different brands of cigars were out there over 100 years ago. It seemed like every town, or city, had their own roller making cigars locally. New York City used to have hundreds of families working out of their homes rolling cigars, probably on a piecework basis. I would assume that quality could be an issue.

Bubba - NJ
07-31-2010, 11:38 PM
Ghurka would be Fleer in my mind , especially the Metal line with all the fancy backgrounds . WHich cigar brand would be O-Pee-Chee ? Nice thread . I do have some cigars in my collection that I wont smoke for quite some time but will eventually .

pnutbutrsangwich
08-01-2010, 10:42 AM
The one difference is that after you have chased down a box of rare stuff, you can still enjoy it. Cigars have utility and intrinsic value where cards end up being worth nothing if sentiment changes.

Let's say you spent $1000 on a GEM '85 Topps McGuire OLY RC in 1998 or you spent $1000 on an ultra limited cigar. Now, the Mac is probably worth like $50. Maybe the cigars aren't worth as much either, but I'll be they're a lot tastier than the Mac if you tried to smoke one :)