PDA

View Full Version : Haier Wine Coolers....

bigdix
07-23-2010, 04:26 AM
Does anyone own/know about this particular brand?? I know the one I'm looking at is thermoelectric, which is good, but was just looking for any "firsthand" type suggestions. It's just sooo well priced. $89 for a 12 bottle.

kelmac07
07-23-2010, 07:10 AM
I have an 18 bottle Haier and LOVE IT!!! It is a little narrower than my Edgestar, just has forced me to work a little harder on my Tetris skills. :r :r

bigdix
07-23-2010, 08:59 AM
I have an 18 bottle Haier and LOVE IT!!! It is a little narrower than my Edgestar, just has forced me to work a little harder on my Tetris skills. :r :r

Cool, brother, thanks! I'm on Kadena AB in Okinawa Japan and the shipping on a Vinotemp is like.....a third the price of the cooler itself..rediculous. Anyway I found these little gems at the local BX and will pick one up!! Shilala Beads and a new Hygro on the way as well. I need to kill Bigliver for pushing me down this slope. Before I know it, I'm gonna have a walk in. The attic IS lined with cedar.....hmmmmm. :hm

waffle
07-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Cool, brother, thanks! I'm on Kadena AB in Okinawa Japan and the shipping on a Vinotemp is like.....a third the price of the cooler itself..rediculous. Anyway I found these little gems at the local BX and will pick one up!! Shilala Beads and a new Hygro on the way as well. I need to kill Bigliver for pushing me down this slope. Before I know it, I'm gonna have a walk in. The attic IS lined with cedar.....hmmmmm. :hm

The real question is hows the heat ;)

thebayratt
07-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I had a 6btl that i actually used it for wine.. it gave up on me within a years time.... Luckily I found out there was a product recall on all of thier 6btl coolers. so I go my money back. Took that money and some more and bought a Vino.

I myself wouldn't buy one... id go for an edgestar atleast.

bigdix
07-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I had a 6btl that i actually used it for wine.. it gave up on me within a years time.... Luckily I found out there was a product recall on all of thier 6btl coolers. so I go my money back. Took that money and some more and bought a Vino.

I myself wouldn't buy one... id go for an edgestar atleast.

I'm usually a brand whore myself and believe that you get what you pay for, but again, I only really need this thing to last until I can get somewhere else. The shipping on Vino or Edge would be outrageous, AND it might not get here for three months. Just working with what I've got available.

bobarian
07-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Haier is one of the largest appliance manufacturers in the world.

bigdix
07-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Haier is one of the largest appliance manufacturers in the world.

Must be for good reason, eh?

Chingas
07-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm usually a brand whore myself and believe that you get what you pay for, but again, I only really need this thing to last until I can get somewhere else. The shipping on Vino or Edge would be outrageous, AND it might not get here for three months. Just working with what I've got available.

If your situation was different I'd say no dice. But hanging out for a minute in your shoes, I'd roll with it. If it breaks, your only out under $100. The beads, etc just get moved to the next house of 1000 corpses.

bigdix
07-23-2010, 11:54 PM
If your situation was different I'd say no dice. But hanging out for a minute in your shoes, I'd roll with it. If it breaks, your only out under $100. The beads, etc just get moved to the next house of 1000 corpses.

Yep. $82 and the perfect size for a Japanese house.....it's hooked up now waiting for my beads to arrive. :banger

bigliver
07-24-2010, 06:10 AM
I predict you're out of room in that thing within three months.

bigdix
07-24-2010, 06:12 AM
I predict you're out of room in that thing within three months.

Yeah...f@ck you! It's all your fault!! ;)

bigliver
07-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Yeah...f@ck you! It's all your fault!! ;)

...and boom goes the dynamite.

bigdix
07-24-2010, 06:15 AM
...and boom goes the dynamite.

I totally just LOL'd :)

captain53
07-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Does anyone own/know about this particular brand?? I know the one I'm looking at is thermoelectric, which is good, but was just looking for any "firsthand" type suggestions. It's just sooo well priced. $89 for a 12 bottle.

I have had a 40 bottle one for a long time (around 6 or 7 years) and it works great - no problems at all. But I use it for wine only and is not thermo. It is fine as a brand though.

bigdix
07-25-2010, 03:37 AM
I have had a 40 bottle one for a long time (around 6 or 7 years) and it works great - no problems at all. But I use it for wine only and is not thermo. It is fine as a brand though.

Thanks for the info Dave. I was hoping someone had a kind word or two to validate my purchase (albeit inexpensive). :tu

Ashcan Bill
07-25-2010, 08:04 AM
I originally had one of the 18 bottle units set up. It had double Peltier cooling systems, one top and one bottom, and one of them went out a couple of months after I purchased it. I contacted Haier, and they sent me a completely new unit. All I had to do was send them the nameplate and cut off the end of the electric cord. They're a great company and stand by their products.

Although Vinotemps are the hot ticket today, there was a time five or six years ago when Haiers were very popular for humidor conversions. More people used Haiers than anything else. Then Vinotemps slowly gained in popularity and finally eclipsed the Haiers.

I eventually replaced the Haiers with an Aristocrat, but both are still working today (years later) with wine in them. The unit with the cooler that went south still works fine for red wines at 50% cooling capacity.

whodeeni
07-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Havent gotten around to the wine coolers, but i will before summers over...
goodluck with your Haier BigDix....

gvarsity
07-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I need to get another wine fridge. Unfortunately the one I have is full of wine. What am I thinking?

larryinlc
07-26-2010, 09:58 AM
After going thru two dud brand wine coolers, I purchased a small Haier about 2.5 years ago. It's worked perfectly. A very good product.

Larry

bigdix
07-27-2010, 05:17 AM
After going thru two dud brand wine coolers, I purchased a small Haier about 2.5 years ago. It's worked perfectly. A very good product.

Larry

And the good comments are outweighing the bad...this I like! :tu