PDA

View Full Version : Do You like Drew Estate?

Sancho
11-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Simple enough, Im curious about how many people follow the mentality that DE makes crap sticks, or if some have actually made a decision based on sampling :ss

elderboy02
11-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Nope. I tried the Natural series and the Acid series and both were disgusting.

Darrell
11-05-2008, 09:41 AM
I like the Chateau Real Maduro PC. That's about it. :2

bigloo
11-05-2008, 10:28 AM
I really like the Chateau Real, both natural and maddie. They are my goto morning smoke. I like the Natural line too, I dont have a pipe so when I feel like that "pipe-like" smoke I reach for a natural. I have had a couple of acids, not as terrible as most people claim, they were OK but would not buy more. I am not a fan of any coffee infused sticks but his were the best I have smoked for what thats worth.

AD720
11-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I had a Natural one time (dark angel maybe), it was OK. I'd like to try a few more before I make any final decisions. I've had that Acid tin in my hand 2 or 3 times at the B&M before but ending up not pulling the trigger. I will get it one day and try a few Acids, if they taste as good as they smell I might like them.

I generally don't like flavored cigars that leave that saccharin sweetness on my lips.

Skywalker
11-05-2008, 11:24 AM
To be honest I enjoyed some of the ACIDs such as the Kuba Kuba, Nasty, and Def Sea.

I did not like any others and the worst was the Blondie!!!

I enjoy the Javas with coffee!

The only natural I have had is the Pimp Stick... Not bad... Not great... Plain!

I really don't buy any of these anymore because I don't need a cigar to mask the true taste of the tobacco!:2

Lucky_Hippo
11-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Yep, I like the LVH line from time to time. Decent and affordable.

webjunkie
11-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Occasionally (stress occasionally) I enjoy a Drew Estates cigar.

That being said, they make the cigars that B&Ms seem to sell the most of, so I'm thankful that they exist so that the local shops stay open.

macpappy
11-05-2008, 01:58 PM
I haven't tried any of the three listed in your poll but I have smoked quite a few of the Vintage 1990, 1992, the Decade and the 10th anniversary. They have all been enjoyable smokes for me when I gave one to my brother-in-law in Seattle, he liked it well enough to ask me to ship some to him. His B&M doesn't carry them and since he's in Washington State it's cheaper for me to buy them and ship them up to him. (He doesn't know how to turn on a computer, so forget shopping online).

drevim
11-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I will pre-empt any posting from Tom, by saying "Suck my EGG!!!!!" :r (love ya, buddy)

Pyro
11-05-2008, 02:13 PM
I haven't tried any of the three listed in your poll but I have smoked quite a few of the Vintage 1990, 1992, the Decade and the 10th anniversary... In what way are those connected to Drew Estate?

I have tried and actually enjoyed Natural Dirt, Root and Clean Robusto. The small Dirt was the winner. Nothing I smoke often but nice to have for a change of pace!

aldukes
11-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Im a very big fan of Liga Privida.

alley00p
11-05-2008, 02:22 PM
I enjoy the LVH's and the Chateau Reals and I did like the one Liga Privada 9 that I tried. The small Tabak coffee-infused stick is a favorite in the morning while driving to work; Personally, I don't care for any of the ACID line although both of my 20-something sons do.

As was mentioned above, the ACIDs are a favorite of college and high school smokers as well as many women. If buying these can help keep a B&M open, then I can live with them.

Gargoyle
11-05-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm a big DE fan. The Natural line, LVH Early Years, Chateau Real and Liga Privada No. 9 are part of my "regular" cigar lineup. I enjoy Acids, Java, Tabak and the now defunct Kahlua as "change of pace" smokes.

The only ones I didn't like are Ambrosia, Isla del Sol and Sauza.

Prozac_Puros
11-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Yes, I have tried a couple..... not a big fan.

Skywalker
11-05-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm a big DE fan. The Natural line, LVH Early Years, Chateau Real and Liga Privada No. 9 are part of my "regular" cigar lineup. I enjoy Acids, Java, Tabak and the now defunct Kahlua as "change of pace" smokes.

The only ones I didn't like are Ambrosia, Isla del Sol and Sauza.

I forgot about the Kahlua and the Isla del Sol! These were not bad but not great!:2

Waynegro1
11-05-2008, 02:43 PM
I haven't tried any of the three listed in your poll but I have smoked quite a few of the Vintage 1990, 1992, the Decade and the 10th anniversary. They have all been enjoyable smokes for me when I gave one to my brother-in-law in Seattle, he liked it well enough to ask me to ship some to him. His B&M doesn't carry them and since he's in Washington State it's cheaper for me to buy them and ship them up to him. (He doesn't know how to turn on a computer, so forget shopping online).

I think you're thinking of Rocky Patel.

I have tried many different Acid cigars and I will never try another one. I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I don't like Flavour/Infused stogies. I just don't like the sweetness. I like the natural sweetness of a maduro wrapper or the sweet taste of mocha/chocolate undertones of "natural" tobacco. I just don't like my tobacco to be flavored/infused to taste like a fruit, candy or libation.
What ya gonna do?

MithShrike
11-05-2008, 02:56 PM
I had an LVH that wasn't totally wretched.

NCRadioMan
11-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Chris, the only ones I like are the LVH Cuban Corojo series. A solid inexpensive cigar, imo.

icehog3
11-05-2008, 03:17 PM
LVH Silencios were one of my go-to short smokes when I started this obsession. I am a fan, at least of the "old blend" (haven't had the new one).

I have tried a couple Acid cigars in my time smoking, and found them a cross between disgusting in flavor and disgusting in taste. ;)

Sauer Grapes
11-05-2008, 03:20 PM
I've had one Java a few years ago and liked it at the time. It wasn't bad for a flavored cigar. I've had an acid and it really didn't do anything for me taste wise. It smelled "better", if better to you means it doesn't smell like a cigar. I happen to think that cigars smell better though.

croatan
11-05-2008, 03:21 PM
LVH Silencios were one of my go-to short smokes when I started this obsession. I am a fan, at least of the "old blend" (haven't had the new one).
Yup. Haven't had one in a while, but those were decent cigars.

Not a fan of flavored stuff.

Tried the Liga Privada. It wasn't bad, but wasn't that great, either.

CigaSkills9
11-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Java's and Liga Privada#9.....on occasions naturals. The Liga's are fast becoming my fave.

jledou
11-05-2008, 03:27 PM
I have tried the Kuba Kuba and the Krush Classics. I enjoyed them on a hot summer afternoon with a good beer down at the lake. Bitterness of the beer and sweetness of the cigar may have helped.

Sancho
11-05-2008, 03:50 PM

Yup. Haven't had one in a while, but those were decent cigars.

Not a fan of flavored stuff.

Tried the Liga Privada. It wasn't bad, but wasn't that great, either.

Figures you two "old timers" would bring up, IMO one of the best sticks to come out of their factory ;)

Stogieboy
11-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Liga Pivada is a great smoke. Was gifted one once and loved it. It's on my list of must buys.

NCRadioMan
11-05-2008, 03:57 PM

Crap, for got about those! They are good! I still have a handfull of the originals around. May have to go fishing for one soon.

WyGuy
11-05-2008, 04:19 PM
I like some of the Acid series cigars...though not something I smoke on a regular basis.

Jokermann
11-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I voted no. I didnt see a HELLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOO! on the list...

replicant_argent
11-05-2008, 04:40 PM
I've seen footage of Jonathan Drew or whatever his name is. I don't think I will be putting money in his pocket at any time. Roundabout answer, but that's what I think.

macpappy
11-05-2008, 04:45 PM
In what way are those connected to Drew Estate?

I have tried and actually enjoyed Natural Dirt, Root and Clean Robusto. The small Dirt was the winner. Nothing I smoke often but nice to have for a change of pace!

My bad. That's what I get for working until 2 am and then having a few to unwind.

macpappy
11-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Let me try this again. I have had several of the Drew Estates. I will buy the Java every now and then for a change of pace. I don't like the Acids, Dirt, or a number of other ones he has put out. The Naturals I will smoke if someone else buys it and I have no other choice.

Genetic Defect
11-05-2008, 04:51 PM
liga privada I liked best

chippewastud79
11-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Absolutely. I tried the Natural series and the Acid series and both were some of the most fragrant and tasty cigars I have ever had. Who needs tobacco flavors when you have perfume and fruit flavors? :ss

Wow, didn't know you liked them that much Dan :confused:

Padron42
11-05-2008, 05:16 PM
I had a java one time and it was ehh. It wasn't terrible, especially not for a flavored cigar, but I wouldn't buy it again.

SonsofClubDeck
11-05-2008, 05:18 PM
The Joe Deal today is 10 Jucy Mamas for 14.99. I loooooove Liga Privada 9, and Jucy Mama is a Natural, so I don't have to worry about flavored stuff that I don't enjoy. Dirt cheap, I think me and roomies might go in. Anybody had these yet?

hotreds
11-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Naturals not too bad(tho I don't like the sweet tip on some) but I can't bring myself to smoke something that smells like Aqua Velva!

groogs
11-05-2008, 05:46 PM
I liked the Liga Provida, but it is not a go to smoke in any way.

Clampdown
11-05-2008, 05:58 PM
I would have voted "Yes, I tasted an Acid and it reminded me of Potpouri that was shat out someones ass," but I didnt see that option. :D

gettysburgfreak
11-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Had one once and thought I was going to be sick for a week :hn

Tenor CS
11-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I've seen footage of Jonathan Drew or whatever his name is. I don't think I will be putting money in his pocket at any time. Roundabout answer, but that's what I think.

In every picture I've seen of him, I think he looks like a total douche. Like the kind of guy I'd just have to punch in the face without knowing exactly why.

I got an ACID sampler, and after 3, I wanted my money back. They were uniformly awful.

gvarsity
11-05-2008, 08:43 PM
LVH Silencios and the Cameroons Belis are nice.

Tazziedevil
11-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I like drew estate. I can't smoke the acids every day(well,I wouldn't want to anyway) but as a change of pace they are good.
My only gripe is the quality control. Too many are plugged, draw tight or unravel.
Posted via Mobile Device

silentjon
11-06-2008, 05:19 AM
I can't stand any Acid cigar. I wasn't impressed at all by the LVH series. The Liga Privada is good, but pricey. I occasionally smoke a cigar from the Natural line for a change of pace.

jitzy
11-06-2008, 07:43 AM
I was not much a lover of them till I smoked the Liga Privada, that was a really nice cigar

kaisersozei
11-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I've smoked a few Acids, Naturals & LVH. I accept them for what they are. Don't actively seek them out, but I'll smoke one from time to time.

SmokeyNL
11-06-2008, 09:43 AM
so far there were none I liked but I have heard good things about Liga Privada, will give those a try when I can and report back on ca about them :D

TOB9595
11-06-2008, 10:14 AM
I do enjoy the CI Legends by Drew Estates.
It's a wonderful hazelnut flavored stck.
Not had any other Drew product
Tom

EDIT: Is Tabak Especial a Drew or AB????
I do like these also for a flavorful smoke. Cleans the palate during many smokes.
T

duckmanco
11-06-2008, 11:00 AM
LVH-EY Silencios rock, still if you ask me. I was graciously gifted 2 of the old blend from txmatt that I believe had some age on them, and they were spectacular. I picked up a box of the new blend, and they are smoking quite well, I expect the same performance as the old when these become old. The liga privada sounds nice also, but damn its pricey.

JonHaven
11-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I smoked a Kuba Kuba last July 4th and have been getting into cigars ever since.

After sampling a bunch of others (CX2, Cohiba, RP's, RYJ, etc.), I still love the Kuba Kuba, but more as a change of pace than my regular cigar. Somebody mentioned they're better in the summer with a beer and I totally agree.

I've had several friends try the Kuba Kuba. Those who aren't regular cigar smokers say they're great while the others say the opposite. I guess you either love 'em or hate e'm.

Pat1075
11-06-2008, 01:04 PM
I enjoyed the chateau real and the liga privada. I tried an acid wafe once and I got a head ache.

Skywalker
11-06-2008, 02:08 PM
No offence Sancho - But for some reason the title of this thread just creeps me out!!!

I am picturing some perv hidding in an alley trying to entice a child with a candy cigar! "Pssst... Do you like Drew Estate?"

deschete
11-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I like the Tabak Especial line and the Liga Privadas.

Genetic Defect
11-06-2008, 06:38 PM
No offence Sancho - But for some reason the title of this thread just creeps me out!!!

I am picturing some perv hidding in an alley trying to entice a child with a candy cigar! "Pssst... Do you like Drew Estate?"

what alley are you in?:hm

ucla695
11-06-2008, 06:39 PM
I've never tried one and I don't really plan to. There are just so many other cigars that I'd prefer to taste before I have a Drew Estate.

brigey57
11-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Simple enough, Im curious about how many people follow the mentality that DE makes crap sticks, or if some have actually made a decision based on sampling :ss

I'm not sure, I've never smoked one. Too many cigars I like and would rather spend my money on and enjoy like the all natural tobacco cigars without all the other stuff. :rolleyes:

Genetic Defect
11-06-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure, I've never smoked one. Too many cigars I like and would rather spend my money on and enjoy like the all natural tobacco cigars without all the other stuff. :rolleyes:

try the liga privada #9 ;)

SmokinApe
11-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I answered "no" but forgot I did have a LVH... I did like it at the time but can't remember much other then it was strong...

Smoking a cigar called "pimp stick" seems a little ghey to me...

"Hey Earl, reach into your box over there and hit me with a PIMP STICK!" It doesn't sound right to me...

Python
11-08-2008, 07:52 PM
I have smoked the Kahlua, Java Maduro, Isla del Sol, Acid Kuba Kuba, Acid Blondie, Acid Extra Ordinary Larry, and Chateau Real Natural cigars.
I did not like any of the Acid cigars.
The Chateau Real was an OK smoke.
The Isla del Sol is a good smoke for the money and is a cheaper alternative to the Java, but the tip is really sweet. Too sweet for me.
I liked the Kahlua and Java the best of the bunch, but I don't care for flavored cigars much anymore.

Starscream
11-08-2008, 07:58 PM
I like the Java Latte.

alley00p
11-08-2008, 09:51 PM
I think "Drew Estate" and "ACID" are synonomous in most smokers minds, but they distribute so many other lines: Liga Privada, LVH, and Chateau Real to name a few.

Last night I attended a local event where Drew Estate introduced the "Joya de Nicaraugua" line. The owner of JdN was there handing out samples and explaining how his family has been making cigars for years and how they were true puros. He also mentioned that most factory foremen of the other cigar factories in Esteli have worked in his factory and have attended his "Univeristy of Cigars".

The Joya de Nicaraugua line comes in three versions, a mild-medium, a medium-strong, and a "wow, is that my head on the floor?". I walked out with 2 boxes, one each of the first two. All of them had a great flavor.

So. IMHO, maybe smokers should stop and think about the "non-ACIDs" when they think about Drew Estates...

:dance: :dance: :dance:

smokinj
11-08-2008, 10:40 PM
I couldn't vote. I have never smoked a Drew Estate but would not mind tryin a Liga Privada

Tikihut27
11-09-2008, 02:49 AM
We call the Acids "gateway cigars", since they are the easiest to entice a non-smoker into trying.

Many of the younger smokers really enjoy them.

I don't mind them at all, in small doses. Maybe once or twice a month.

It's all about what I'm in the mood for. Sometimes steak, sometimes pie, you know what I mean?

Shadow
11-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Liga Privada 9 - great cigar that I can't keep my hands off of(Damn you Saka!):tu:tu:tu

Chateau Real - nice, creamy smoke.

LVH Early Years - Great maduro flavor. These age very well.

Diver41
08-01-2016, 01:56 PM
A Tabak Especial Negra with a cup of coffee starts or ends a day nicely

Grey Goose
08-01-2016, 02:51 PM
Admire what they've accomplished, but not a fan myself.

E.J.
08-01-2016, 02:54 PM
HOLY 8 year old thread revival!:jd

Porch Dweller
08-01-2016, 03:44 PM
Well hell, I wasn't a member back then so I'll answer now:
- I really enjoy the Undercrown Corona Viva; it's one of my most often smoked sticks. None of the other vitolas are as good as the CV, IMNSHO
- The MUWAT Baitfish and +11 are tasty
- I love the T52; it's just an all-around great cigar
- I do not get the love for the LP9 at all; I find it one dimensional
- I smoked Acid Kuba Kuba and Opulence 3 up to about four years ago, then one day I had one and thought "This is nasty." I smoked one more a month later to verify my opinion and haven't had one since
- Love the Dirty Rat and Ratzilla.
- L40 and UF13 are decent but overpriced
- Papas Fritas I could take or leave
- I really enjoy the Herrera Esteli
- The Norteno is very tasty but overpriced

And I think that's all of them that I've smoked.

kelmac07
08-01-2016, 03:46 PM
Really enjoy the Liga Privada line.

Ncpsycho
08-01-2016, 04:57 PM
Liga privada stuff is awesome

afranco
08-01-2016, 06:45 PM
I also enjoy liga privada line

Weelok
08-02-2016, 01:18 AM
I like the Liga Privadas, Under Crown, and the Herrera Esteli cigars.

I'm not a fan of the Acids as they are too sweet. The Natural was good but it's been 7 years or so and its possible it may be too sweet for me now as well. Hard to,say on that.

mahtofire14
08-02-2016, 02:16 AM
I have enjoyed the Liga lines but mostly smoke the Undercrowns because they aren't an arm and a leg. I would really like to try the maduro line of the Herrera Esteli line and the Norteno (I think that's what it's called).

Porch Dweller
08-02-2016, 07:21 AM
I have enjoyed the Liga lines but mostly smoke the Undercrowns because they aren't an arm and a leg. I would really like to try the maduro line of the Herrera Esteli line and the Norteno (I think that's what it's called).

The Norteno is definitely worth a try.

hammondc
08-03-2016, 06:52 AM
HOLY 8 year old thread revival!:jd

A lot changes in 8 years, huh?

mahtofire14
08-03-2016, 08:07 AM
The Norteno is definitely worth a try.

Glad to hear it James. Looks like the devil site will be getting a few more bids. I've been naughty lately......:sl

cthulnado
08-03-2016, 08:36 AM
I love Undercrown. It was one of my first smokes and it really make me fall in love with Cigars. I don't pick them up too often anymore, but I definitely don't turn them down.

Plus, I won 2nd Place during a DE chili cookoff, so they're ok in my book!