PDA

View Full Version : What are good watch brands *not uber expensive*

kgoings
11-05-2008, 09:02 AM
I hardly ever wear a watch, but I saw on one of my regular bargain shopping websites that someone has a Seiko Flightmaster watch for sale for $97. Seikos are pretty good, but I dont know if I need all those extras that I wont use.

rack04
11-05-2008, 09:11 AM
I just bought a Seiko Chronograph. I really like it. It was 50% of at Macy's so I got it for $150.

replicant_argent
11-05-2008, 09:17 AM
for 97 bucks, it will perform well, as a Seiko. Worse comes to worse, it's only 97 bucks.
What are you looking for in a watch, and what is your price range?
Without snooty watch guy advice, I imagine there are a couple guys that can help you out.

MLC
11-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Invicta makes good watches - screw down crown, screws instead of pins in band, solid links- I've had the Invicta Speedway for over 3 yrs no problems. Their watches range from about $150 to $3,000.

Festina is also a good not uber expensive brand

av8tor152d
11-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Casio G-Shocks for every day wear to work, Have one that has survived 2 deployments to Iraq and still is going strong... Band smells a little funky but when it gets bad I just toss it in the dishwasher.

replicant_argent
11-05-2008, 09:22 AM
I wear an Orient, a division of Seiko, for an everyday, automatic watch. rotating bezel, screw down crowns, 200 m waterproof, good looking, and you can get one for under a hundred bucks, looks and feels like a watch you could waste a hell of a lot more money on, and get about the same adequate level of performance.

Tombstone
11-05-2008, 09:24 AM
I wear an Orient, a division of Seiko, for an everyday, automatic watch. rotating bezel, screw down crowns, 200 m waterproof, good looking, and you can get one for under a hundred bucks, looks and feels like a watch you could waste a hell of a lot more money on, and get about the same adequate level of performance.

I strongly agree with you. I purchased a Tag Aquaracer and to this day i wish that i would have purchased an orient. I could have had a quality watch with a fat wallet.

croatan
11-05-2008, 09:27 AM
As far as price/quality goes, there are some great German watches out there. Sinn comes immediately to mind. Very well-done pilots watches under 2k new.

Another good watch on a budget is Omega. Definitely more bang for your buck than most and you can find them used.

Going even cheaper, Hamilton and Longines make some good stuff, too.

Tombstone
11-05-2008, 09:28 AM
As far as price/quality goes, there are some great German watches out there. Sinn comes immediately to mind. Very well-done pilots watches under 2k new.

Another good watch on a budget is Omega. Definitely more bang for your buck than most and you can find them used.

Omega makes some great watches. IMO they are better than Rolex's.

SeanGAR
11-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Hard to beat Seiko or Citizen. I haven't seen a reasonably prices Swiss watch in 10 years or so ... used to be you could get a nice Glycine, Epos, Fortis, Oris, Revue Thommen or Zeno for under $400. Not any more. And mechanical watches are cool, but normally need servicing each 5-8 years, which is not cheap. Seiko mechanicals are basically throw away .. it would cost as much to service as buy a new one unless you are lucky and have a good watchmaker nearby.

gettysburgfreak
11-05-2008, 09:38 AM
I have a Seiko flight watch and absolutely love it, I get compliments all the time on it.

replicant_argent
11-05-2008, 09:39 AM

Going even cheaper, Hamilton and Longines make some good stuff, too.

I think we might need his definition of "uber-expensive." For some guys, spending more than a couple hundred bucks on an everyday watch isn't reasonable, with the abuse that a watch can take on a guys wrist. I am one of them, I don't take my watch off almost ever, and between work, messing around with cars, a few different hobbies, and my clutziness, value/robust design/performance/appearance is a definite consideration. He posted a watch in the hundred dollar range, and I think that jacking that advice to a $600-1200 watch might not be what he is looking for.

Lucky_Hippo
11-05-2008, 09:41 AM
I like to wear either a Seiko Coutura or a Sawtooth from time to time.

The Coutura is nice beacuse it's a Kinetic Perpetual which means all I have to do is give it a few shakes and it sets the correct time, date, year and month all on it's own. No battery to worry about.

The Sawtooth is a heavy meaty timepiece that I use as a roustabout watch since it will more likly hurt something else before it gets hurt itself.

Bottom line is you probably won't get the attention many other bands will bring you, but you'll get an excellet watch for a great value.

Seiko is a very solid brand.

You may also want to check out Hamilton as well. They have some nice watches spanning the price points from top to bottom.

croatan
11-05-2008, 09:48 AM
I think we might need his definition of "uber-expensive." For some guys, spending more than a couple hundred bucks on an everyday watch isn't reasonable, with the abuse that a watch can take on a guys wrist. I am one of them, I don't take my watch off almost ever, and between work, messing around with cars, a few different hobbies, and my clutziness, value/robust design/performance/appearance is a definite consideration. He posted a watch in the hundred dollar range, and I think that jacking that advice to a $600-1200 watch might not be what he is looking for.

True. A price range would help immensely. "Uber expensive" is certainly relative. What I wear some would consider uber-expensive and some might scoff at. I did try to run the gamut on pricing, though, at least with watches with which I'm familiar. There are many Hamiltons and Longines available for far less than $600.

Sailchaser
11-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Watches are another bad habit that I have and seiko for every day at work are fine ,I one of the best repair centers for seiko and citizen called J&R watch repair, the service all years and all makes, they are the only one I ever trust,pm me if you need an info

Sancho
11-05-2008, 12:01 PM
My daily beater watch is an Alpha, made in china with a bracelet that probably is worth what you pay for the watch (~50) they are styled after the popular higher end brands, are water resistant, screw down crown and case back, etc. and keep accurate time.

Another brand to consider is Vostok, russian manufacturer makes some slick watches in the 60-200 range all automatics with ratings up to 200m for their divers, screw downs crowns etc etc.

As someone else said, citizen makes a sweet watch for a bit more money 120-500 as a plus if you get a ecodrive you wont need batteries and it just goes and goes as long as it gets daylight every so often.

Old Sailor
11-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Casio G-Shocks for every day wear to work, Have one that has survived 2 deployments to Iraq and still is going strong... Band smells a little funky but when it gets bad I just toss it in the dishwasher.

I have the metal band on mine....great watch!!:tu:tu

GrtndpwrflOZ
11-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I agree, I have 3 Invictas and they are all great.
Crotan is another inexpensive watch that seems to work well.

Invicta makes good watches - screw down crown, screws instead of pins in band, solid links- I've had the Invicta Speedway for over 3 yrs no problems. Their watches range from about $150 to $3,000.

Festina is also a good not uber expensive brand

White97Jimmy
11-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Watches are another bad habit that I have and seiko for every day at work are fine ,I one of the best repair centers for seiko and citizen called J&R watch repair, the service all years and all makes, they are the only one I ever trust,pm me if you need an info

Is that the one next to Smokers Outlet?

For work, I have a few Timex watches. Ultra cheap and takes a lickin and keeps on tickin! For dress, I wear my Burberry Chrono.

spincycle
11-05-2008, 02:19 PM
I love Nixon watches. But I buy for style and nothing else really.

http://www.nixonnow.com/

petewho
11-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Hard to beat Seiko or Citizen. I haven't seen a reasonably prices Swiss watch in 10 years or so ... used to be you could get a nice Glycine, Epos, Fortis, Oris, Revue Thommen or Zeno for under $400. Not any more. And mechanical watches are cool, but normally need servicing each 5-8 years, which is not cheap. Seiko mechanicals are basically throw away .. it would cost as much to service as buy a new one unless you are lucky and have a good watchmaker nearby.

:tpd:
I own two Oris, some Invictas, and many-many-many Seikos (all are automatic). The Seikos are by far the best value and are very durable. Some of my Seikos are from the early 70's and still going strong.

DBall
11-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I didn't see the name Skagen around... I love mine!

Cigary
11-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Hard to beat a Seiko as I have had one for almost 25 years and has never,,ever given me trouble. I have about 3 movados but that will put you into the uber pricing, unless you get them in the Carribean,,super cheap with no tax.

DMK
11-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I've had my Pulsar for going on 24 yrs. Three crystals and I don't know how many batteries, but it's my daily wearer and has taken a beating....

floydp
11-05-2008, 03:37 PM
I wear a Seiko military auto to work and a Citizen eco the rest of the time. Have a few other Seiko's from 5 years(quartz) to almost 30(Auto) years old. Never had any trouble with either brand.

mosesbotbol
10-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Happen to see the Omega online for sale. This is a lot of watch for the money. Triple date and Chrono is quite fancy and from a good brand like Omega. Site had it for $1,150.00!

http://www.sinlianpawnshop.com/images/DSC05828.JPG

I am not connected to the vendor, justing passing a nice along to whomever may be interested.

GolfNut
10-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I quit wearing a watch about 7 years ago when I finally quit working for someone else. It felt like a shackle to me. But, my preference then was a Wenger brand watch. There are some awfully good deals on these if you search around and they are a quality piece.

s15driftking
10-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Seiko, Hamilton, Mido, Marathon, Boschett, Longines, Welder, Bathys, and Ball.

Patrick B
10-24-2010, 11:57 AM
I have two watches and both are Bulova. Paid about $200 a pop and I love both of them. They do eat batteries pretty regularly, though.

BigCat
10-24-2010, 12:51 PM
My wife bought me a watch from Kenneth Cole - I've had it for about 6 years now - it is a really nice watch and she paid about $150 for it. I still get complimented on it regularly.

Buckeye Jack
10-24-2010, 02:02 PM
I have two watches and both are Bulova. Paid about $200 a pop and I love both of them. They do eat batteries pretty regularly, though.

Got a Bulova Marine Star back in February and love it. Haven't had to change the time on it once. Just curious, roughly how often do you have to change your batteries? Haven't had to change them yet on mine.

joeobx
10-24-2010, 02:29 PM
http://www.casiosalesandservice.com/istar.asp?a=6&id=AMW320R-1EV!Casio

Ive had this watch for the last 3 1/2 - 4 yrs and it has taken a beating, did just buy a new G shock GIEZ because I got tired of the the Casio

BigFrank
10-24-2010, 05:16 PM
I have a Freestyle Shark Diving watch. I paid under 50$ for it 15 years ago. It still works. Ive had to replaced the batteries twice and the wrist band once. I almost never take it off. I've done everything with it and it still works.

Resipsa
10-25-2010, 08:00 AM
any of you watch guys have any info on bueche-girod watches?

Was given one as a gift a long time ago (circa 1995), was thinking about starting to wear it again. Haven't worn a watch in eons.

mosesbotbol
10-25-2010, 09:05 AM
any of you watch guys have any info on bueche-girod watches?

They use to be made in Biel up till the late 1970's and moved to Geneva. I think their hayday was a while back (at least while they were in Biel). If your watch is from the 60's, it should be pretty well decorated movement.

Resipsa
10-25-2010, 09:09 AM
They use to be made in Biel up till the late 1970's and moved to Geneva. I think their hayday was a while back (at least while they were in Biel). If your watch is from the 60's, it should be pretty well decorated movement.

No, 1995. Still a very nice looking watch, don't know about the movement.