PDA

View Full Version : Humidor Hunt!!!!

waffle
07-19-2010, 11:32 AM
So, I had originally thought that the 150 ct Humi I had would tide me over until my lovely wife bought me one for X-Mas (I was either going to get a 300 count like the foot locker or a edgestar), but now I worry that even that won't be enough... looking for some suggestions - figure spending in the $300-$400 range and I'm already planning on a coolidor or two...

md4958
07-19-2010, 11:34 AM
So, I had originally thought that the 150 ct Humi I had would tide me over until my lovely wife bought me one for X-Mas (I was either going to get a 300 count like the foot locker or a edgestar), but now I worry that even that won't be enough... looking for some suggestions - figure spending in the $300-$400 range and I'm already planning on a coolidor or two...

vintotemp

awsmith4
07-19-2010, 11:37 AM

$300-$400 might get you a cabinet on cbid

example (http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=923866)

Or just get the coolers and use the extra money on more cigars

awsmith4
07-19-2010, 11:38 AM
vintotemp

I like this idea too

md4958
07-19-2010, 11:40 AM

This is actually a great suggestion too. I have that tower and I love it.

The only problem is that shipping tends to add $150-$200 to the price of these things.

You could always search craigs list for humis for sale.

bobarian
07-19-2010, 11:54 AM
I would suggest coolers and 100-150ct desktops. Larger desktops make finding a single cigar difficult, you have to dig through a pile of other stuff to find the one stick you want to smoke. Smaller desktops are easier to organize. Same with coolers. Although some use the large 120-160qt Igloo coolers, I find the 48-60qt size easier to stack in a closet and move around if needed. :2

bsmokin
07-19-2010, 12:14 PM
I REALLY LIKE that cab, and I think it's a good deal. I wonder how the seal is... does anyone have this or know of it's seal quality??

I would get one of these in a heart beat, if my wife wouldn't leave me when it showed up at the door ;)

If you care how your display looks I would recommend a vino + chasden drawers (which is what I have). If you're cool with your gar living out of sight (in a closet for example) then coolers are probably the way to go.

:2

waffle
07-19-2010, 12:15 PM
I would suggest coolers and 100-150ct desktops. Larger desktops make finding a single cigar difficult, you have to dig through a pile of other stuff to find the one stick you want to smoke. Smaller desktops are easier to organize. Same with coolers. Although some use the large 120-160qt Igloo coolers, I find the 48-60qt size easier to stack in a closet and move around if needed. :2

The wife has actually suggested it as a "focal piece" in my office (i.e. she wants something nice to look at) and I am going with some coolers, but I view those as a temporary/overflow area and I'm looking for something with a more permanent place in the room. I have thought about a 28 bottle vinotemp, but I'm worried thats not enough storage. I'm trying to use the 3x the size I need philosophy on this one so I don't have to buy another one for a long while!! :=: Thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em coming, I like hearing all the different suggestions so I can take them to the wife and she can go through them and give me the "absolutely not" list. Yes, my wife supports my sicknesses... shes a giant enabler!

waffle
07-19-2010, 12:16 PM
I REALLY LIKE that cab, and I think it's a good deal. I wonder how the seal is... does anyone have this or know of it's seal quality??

:tpd: on the seal... if its good, I might keep one of these on the watch list and see what I can scoop it up for...

md4958
07-19-2010, 12:26 PM

:tpd: on the seal... if its good, I might keep one of these on the watch list and see what I can scoop it up for...

I have that tower and I love it.

:hm

The seal on mine was fine, but I added some weatherstripping around the opening just because... its pretty rock solid.

bvilchez
07-19-2010, 12:32 PM
:hm

The seal on mine was fine, but I added some weatherstripping around the opening just because... its pretty rock solid.

Same here...just added more weatherstripping on mine as well and no flaws

TheTraveler
07-19-2010, 01:30 PM
The wife has actually suggested it as a "focal piece" in my office (i.e. she wants something nice to look at) ...

If you're wanting a focal piece humi in the $300 - $400 range I recommend this one: http://pipesandcigars.com/royjucihuwic1.html

I likes it (and wants it, lol). :tu

waffle
07-19-2010, 01:37 PM
If you're wanting a focal piece humi in the $300 - $400 range I recommend this one: http://pipesandcigars.com/royjucihuwic1.html

I likes it (and wants it, lol). :tu

And this is why I post questions like this! You all seriously help drive my obsession :banger

Ogre
07-19-2010, 01:56 PM

You have been bitten by the Vino Bug. I have only been here 3 months and and building one myself. Nice to see I am not the only one!!:banger:banger:banger

waffle
07-19-2010, 02:03 PM
You have been bitten by the Vino Bug. I have only been here 3 months and and building one myself. Nice to see I am not the only one!!:banger:banger:banger

Lol I'm actually concerned a vino won't be big enough and I know how I keep my house so I'm worried about tobacco beetles (probably paranoia) but I'd rather not take any chances... besides we have a wine fridge that is actually full of wine, so the vinodor won't look out of place.

Ogre
07-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Lol I'm actually concerned a vino won't be big enough and I know how I keep my house so I'm worried about tobacco beetles (probably paranoia) but I'd rather not take any chances... besides we have a wine fridge that is actually full of wine, so the vinodor won't look out of place.

LOL. figured I would would use an Igloo cooler for long term storage and use the vino for current sticks.

waffle
07-19-2010, 02:13 PM
LOL. figured I would would use an Igloo cooler for long term storage and use the vino for current sticks.

Well, that could be a possibility, my office happens to be in the basement, next to the unfinished section, so storage of igloos in there wouldn't be bad, however, I haven't figured out my current stick situation :D!

waffle
07-19-2010, 09:44 PM
So the Avanti 28 bottle is currently 159 at wally world. Just trying to figure out if the extra 150 is worth it for the Vinotemp or the extra 60 for the edgestar or would it be a good buy and get the shelves from chas and have the extra cash for a box or two of sticks ;)

chippewastud79
07-19-2010, 09:58 PM
You can find full tower humidors from the Devil for around $400 shipped to your house. Sometimes for a lot less. :tu

waffle
07-19-2010, 10:00 PM
You can find full tower humidors from the Devil for around $400 shipped to your house. Sometimes for a lot less. :tu

Just let me have yours ;)

chippewastud79
07-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Just let me have yours ;)

My wife would be a lot happier about that proposition than I would. ;s

Chingas
07-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Steve. Weren't you getting a winecooler from Dan?

Here's my double pennies. I ran out of room in my two smaller desktops, so I added coolers to the mix. Got bit by the Vino bug and figured I'd take the plunge. Keeping the rule in mind, instead of one, I bought two and guess what, I think I need two more.

When the shelves come in from Chas, organization would be better but truth be told, the inside of the 28-TEDS is about the same size as my coolers. So if my coolers were packed, then the Vinos are packed.

In retrospect, I think I should have gotten either a huge wine cooler or picked up something like the examples, a 2000 - 3000 humi.

I'll make what I have work but when I buy my next house I'm building a walk in. It seems to make better sense than 6 wine coolers, which is what it's looking like it's gonna be!

waffle
07-20-2010, 12:43 AM
My wife would be a lot happier about that proposition than I would. ;s

Lol yeah mine's all of the sudden getting cold feet about it too!

waffle
07-20-2010, 12:52 AM
Steve. Weren't you getting a winecooler from Dan?

Here's my double pennies. I ran out of room in my two smaller desktops, so I added coolers to the mix. Got bit by the Vino bug and figured I'd take the plunge. Keeping the rule in mind, instead of one, I bought two and guess what, I think I need two more.

When the shelves come in from Chas, organization would be better but truth be told, the inside of the 28-TEDS is about the same size as my coolers. So if my coolers were packed, then the Vinos are packed.

In retrospect, I think I should have gotten either a huge wine cooler or picked up something like the examples, a 2000 - 3000 humi.

I'll make what I have work but when I buy my next house I'm building a walk in. It seems to make better sense than 6 wine coolers, which is what it's looking like it's gonna be!

I'm buying some igloo coolers off dan, as a temp fix, he's got that beauty and doesn't need the coolers so I thought I'd grab one or two... I'm leaning more towards a tower cabi (actually wanna check out chippewa's) for nothing else than it'll look good with the office furniture (assuming I get the right color) and because I like the look... Also like it has been mentioned, I can do about a 2k-3k tower for about the same as a chasidor.

waffle
07-20-2010, 06:44 AM
OK, now on the the million dollar question... chippewa what method are using to humidify your tower of power??