PDA

View Full Version : Blazer CG-001 Lighter Problems!!!

bsmokin
07-17-2010, 02:30 PM
So, I bought a Blazer CG-001 lighter about a month ago off Amazon. It now doesn't work. I know why.... The little piece of copper that conducts the lighter spark fell out. It happened once while fishing, and I was actually about to find it on the deck and put it back in the lighter to fix it. Next time I went to use the lighter, it was gone again... I guess it fell out somewhere else. :(

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any experience with replacing that little copper piece?

I guess I need a new lighter. This is now my second decent lighter. My first was a $60 Colibri lighter... just stopped working after a while.

I need advice on what to get that is RELIABLE. I'm tired of spending good money on lighters that just don't last!

Thanks!

chippewastud79
07-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Ronson or Cbid if you want something a little more substantial. :tu

Tenor CS
07-17-2010, 02:50 PM
We all know Xikar makes good cutters. I have a xikar fuego lighter that came as a freebie with a CI deal. Lights EVERY FREAKING TIME I click it. It's not pretty, but it works. Ronson is also good in the low price range, if you can find them in your area.

Brad
07-17-2010, 03:05 PM
For a torch, non-Ronson, Blazer is about as reliable as you are going to get. My advice would be to get another one, you got a dud, it's definatly not normal for Blazers.

I had a Xikar Exec, busted within a year. Now I use soft flame indoors, if I'm outside I just use a Ronson because I didn't feel like buying another torch. Got tired of dealing with torch lighters, most of them are pieces of crap.

GAW
07-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Finally got a Blazer ( Model PB210-CR ) and after 5 mos it has the same striker problem you describe although it does work occasionaly so the copper piece may be just out of position. No luck with many others - work for a few mos and lose either butane flow or spark.
Decided to try, for at home use, a table top design but on a tip from Walt at Stogie Review in one of his video reviews purchased a type used by chefs to finish carmelizing Creme Brule. Bed Bath and Beyond -19.95 - works great so far and for the money I'll just replace it. Holds a ton of Butane and the flame controls work well. For a portable option matches or a soft flame flint striker type for me for now.

bobarian
07-18-2010, 02:11 AM
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4179

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1046/sku41791.jpg (http://img844.imageshack.us/i/sku41791.jpg/)

Best lighter buy on the market! Under $2 a piece delivered if you buy 3.
These hold more fuel than Ronsons and are very reliable. I have given away dozens. If one breaks, you just toss and pull another out of the drawer. :tu

bsmokin
07-18-2010, 06:22 AM
I actually found this same website last night. I think this may be the best bet. That site actually has several different models of torch lighter. I was thinking about ordering like 5 of each, just to mix it up and see what is best.

Not only is shipping free, but I also found a coupon code for a discount if you order 3 or more of any product! Code: BULKRATE

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4179

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1046/sku41791.jpg (http://img844.imageshack.us/i/sku41791.jpg/)

Best lighter buy on the market! Under $2 a piece delivered if you buy 3.
These hold more fuel than Ronsons and are very reliable. I have given away dozens. If one breaks, you just toss and pull another out of the drawer. :tu

bsmokin
07-18-2010, 06:26 AM
I can get 15 lighters (5x 3 different lighters), shipped, for the same price of the Blazer - about $33! Seems like a very good option...

bsmokin
07-18-2010, 07:08 AM
I pulled the trigger. I ordered 10 of the lighter suggested by bobarian. I used the BULKRATE code and the total came to about $20 shipped. Not bad at all. Hopefully, this collection will get me through quite a long time...

Thanks for everyone's input! :tu

bsmokin
07-18-2010, 07:07 PM
OK... not that anyone cares that much but....

I got home from the weekend at the shore where my Blazer broke and tried my old Colibri lighter. I was bleeding it with the plan to try and fill it up again... and it just started working! Apparently, maybe it just needed to be bled, and the thing works fine!

Oh well... I'll have lots of backups now :tu

waffle
07-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Lol dont you love when that happens ;)

KenS
07-18-2010, 08:10 PM
I've learned that good quality butane is way more important than the lighter itself, if you want sustained reliability. For a while, I was using any ol' butane I could pickup locally, but even high quality lighters will suffer with it.

I've been using Xikar butane with no problems for the past several months. I know others will have their favorites as well, but definitely check the quality of the butane. :2

bsmokin
07-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Agreed.

I've been using Vector butane only...

I've learned that good quality butane is way more important than the lighter itself, if you want sustained reliability. For a while, I was using any ol' butane I could pickup locally, but even high quality lighters will suffer with it.

I've been using Xikar butane with no problems for the past several months. I know others will have their favorites as well, but definitely check the quality of the butane. :2

Ashcan Bill
07-19-2010, 09:24 AM
I pulled the trigger. I ordered 10 of the lighter suggested by bobarian. I used the BULKRATE code and the total came to about $20 shipped. Not bad at all. Hopefully, this collection will get me through quite a long time...

I had one of these I used for a year and a half, and then gave it to a guy who needed a lighter. Eventually the chain broke off, but it never missed a lick.

I have three Blazers and a decent soft flame lighter, but I always keep some of the dealextreme cheapies around. For the money, you just can't beat 'em.

OLS
07-19-2010, 10:14 AM
I think it goes without saying that short of an IRONCLAD guarantee, one should never pay over
4 bucks for a lighter. And even with the gurarantee, sometimes postage to send it back to have it
fixed is worth the same as 10 good cheap lighters.

KenS
07-19-2010, 11:26 AM
I think it goes without saying that short of an IRONCLAD guarantee, one should never pay over
4 bucks for a lighter. And even with the gurarantee, sometimes postage to send it back to have it
fixed is worth the same as 10 good cheap lighters.

Painting with a pretty broad brush there :rolleyes:. Maybe it "goes without saying", but I don't regret the money I paid for my Blazer. Since I don't typically carry extra lighters with me, I like having the one I do carry to be reliable. :2

tsolomon
07-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I just got back from a trip where I purchased 2 Ronson Jetlites at WalMart and these are great backups for a Blazer. I own 2 Blazers and they are still my favorite, but these Jetlites at just under $4 each are really good. I had to go to the counter where they sold the cigarettes at to find them. :2

icehog3
07-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Painting with a pretty broad brush there :rolleyes:. Maybe it "goes without saying", but I don't regret the money I paid for my Blazer. Since I don't typically carry extra lighters with me, I like having the one I do carry to be reliable. :2

I am a big fan of the Blazers as well, have had one that lasted more than 3 years as an every day lighter. The Ronsons are good for what they are, but I find the flame a little small for lighting cigars properly. I keep a couple Ronsons around for inexpensive back-ups, but my Blazer is my go-to.

longknocker
07-19-2010, 01:05 PM
I am a big fan of the Blazers as well, have had one that lasted more than 3 years as an every day lighter. The Ronsons are good for what they are, but I find the flame a little small for lighting cigars properly. I keep a couple Ronsons around for inexpensive back-ups, but my Blazer is my go-to.

:tu Used Mine 2-3X/Wk For Last 3 Years With "0" Problems. Always Refill With Vector 5X Refined.:tu

bsmokin
07-19-2010, 01:24 PM
I must have got a bad one... or a BS one... or something. The fact that the little copper piece for the spark fell out in only a few weeks of use is total crap. I'm pretty pissed. Going to try and contact the manufacturer.

icehog3
07-19-2010, 01:25 PM
WARRANTY & REPAIR FAQ
HOW LONG DOES WARRANTY COVERAGE LAST?
One year from original date of purchase (Original proof of purchase required). Warranty coverage ends when a products becomes unusable for reasons other than defects in workmanship or material.
HOW CAN I GET SERVICE?
Should a problem arise with your Blazer unit(s) please send it (post prepaid) to the address below. Be sure to include:
•Original dated receipt as Proof of Purchase
•A note explaining the problem(s)
•Your complete contact information including a phone number where you can be reached
Return the unit(s) to:

BLAZER PRODUCTS INC.
88 ALLEN BLVD.
FARMINGDALE, NY 11735
Attn: Service Dept.

Warranteed products will be repaired or replaced, at Blazer Products Inc's discretion, and returned at no additional cost.

http://www.blazerproducts.com/blazerLighters/warranty.html

bsmokin
07-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Yea, thanks man. I saw this too. Planning on shipping the broken lighter out to them tomorrow.

WARRANTY & REPAIR FAQ
One year from original date of purchase (Original proof of purchase required). Warranty coverage ends when a products becomes unusable for reasons other than defects in workmanship or material.
HOW CAN I GET SERVICE?
Should a problem arise with your Blazer unit(s) please send it (post prepaid) to the address below. Be sure to include:
•Your complete contact information including a phone number where you can be reached
Return the unit(s) to:

BLAZER PRODUCTS INC.
88 ALLEN BLVD.
FARMINGDALE, NY 11735

Warranteed products will be repaired or replaced, at Blazer Products Inc's discretion, and returned at no additional cost.

Posted via Mobile Device

bsmokin
07-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Just sent it to them priority mail this morning. I wonder how long it will take for me to hear something (if anything) back... ?....

In the meantime, my dealextreme cheapo lighters shipped today... so I should be safe anyway. It would be nice though to get a working Blazer back in the mail in the next month or so...

WARRANTY & REPAIR FAQ
HOW CAN I GET SERVICE?
Return the unit(s) to:

BLAZER PRODUCTS INC.
88 ALLEN BLVD.
FARMINGDALE, NY 11735

tsolomon
07-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Just sent it to them priority mail this morning. I wonder how long it will take for me to hear something (if anything) back... ?....

In the meantime, my dealextreme cheapo lighters shipped today... so I should be safe anyway. It would be nice though to get a working Blazer back in the mail in the next month or so...Based on personal experience, they take about a month to fix one and send it back.

Darrell
07-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Based on personal experience, they take about a month to fix one and send it back.

Not right now. We are an authorized Blazer retailer and currently it takes 2-4 months to come back. :td

TripleF
07-20-2010, 11:48 AM
I must have got a bad one... or a BS one... or something. The fact that the little copper piece for the spark fell out in only a few weeks of use is total crap. I'm pretty pissed. Going to try and contact the manufacturer.

If it's within a year, and you have the receipt, return it to Blazer and they will fix it!!!

Darrell
07-20-2010, 11:49 AM
If it's within a year, and you have the receipt, return it to Blazer and they will fix it!!!

If he takes it to a retailer, they will send it in to Blazer and have it fixed regardless of age or proof of purchase.

icehog3
07-20-2010, 01:13 PM
WARRANTY & REPAIR FAQ
HOW CAN I GET SERVICE?
Return the unit(s) to:

BLAZER PRODUCTS INC.
88 ALLEN BLVD.
FARMINGDALE, NY 11735

A little late to the party, Scott? ;) :r

Volt
07-20-2010, 01:21 PM
I guess as long as everyone is tossing out their favorites..... I use a Zippo with a Z-Plus insert. Nothing has the sound of a Zippo and the torch lights every time (assuming of course I remember to keep it filled). I usually try to push it one Herf to many :)

http://www.blazerproducts.com/lighters/zplus.html

TripleF
07-21-2010, 07:34 AM

In the meantime, my dealextreme cheapo lighters shipped today... so I should be safe anyway. It would be nice though to get a working Blazer back in the mail in the next month or so...

I bought some of the Deal Extreme Lighters too!
Sorry for the probs bro, but this thread has been quite helpful IMHO!!

bsmokin
07-21-2010, 08:02 AM
I bought some of the Deal Extreme Lighters too!
Sorry for the probs bro, but this thread has been quite helpful IMHO!!

Glad to hear this! I was beginning to think that all my posts were pretty useless ... now I'm feeling a wee bit better... ;)

bsmokin
08-27-2010, 07:29 PM
So I got the lighter back from Blazer in the mail the other day ... fixed and working great!!! :tu

SmokeyJoe
08-27-2010, 08:07 PM
So I got the lighter back from Blazer in the mail the other day ... fixed and working great!!! :tu

Cool! :tu

How are the deal extreme lighters working out?

:ss

bsmokin
08-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Cool! :tu

How are the deal extreme lighters working out?

:ss

The Deal extreme lighters are really a great deal! I've been using the same one since I got them, and have gifted several others. That being said, when I got my Blazer back I was quickly reminded of the difference... The flame is much stronger, and more wind resistant on the Blazer. Still, I would recommend the deal extreme lights to those looking for an in expensive lighter and/or those wanting a few backups around...

longknocker
08-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Glad To See Blazer Backed Up Their Warranty, Brother!:banger:tu

Neuromancer
08-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Funny thing...I just bought a Blazer CG-001 from Cigar Auctioneer (Famous Smoke)...when I received it the torch flame was about 4 inches high and the adjustment for flame height didn't do anything...so I sent it back to Blazer...they finally got it back to me about two months later with a ticket that said "repaired"...guess what? Nothing changed...it still does the same thing...oddly enough, all my other Blazer lighters have been great...