PDA

View Full Version : Kindle or Nook?

BeerAdvocate
07-15-2010, 03:55 PM
I would like to purchase an Amazon Kindle or a B&N Nook, but I am having a hard time deciding which will work better for me.

-I like the idea of downloading ebooks from my public Library on the Nook
-I like the full touch screen on the Nook
-I like that the Nook supports Android
-I like that the Kindle is with a huge online retailer like Amazon and not a B&M like B&N

Anyone with any experience with these two have any input???

Mindflux
07-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Nook hands down.

Nook reads ePub format. This is an open standard format and can be read on nearly everything. There are many hundreds of thousands more books in ePub than AWZ(amazon's proprietary format). (as you mentioned your public library may even support eBooks)

Nook can be bought at Barnes and Noble and Best buy now. Amazon is still the only place for the Kindle.

Nook runs Android as you've mentioned.

Nook can download 'free' books in B&N stores as well as coupons for free goodies at their 'cafe' locations inside of B&N stores.

Nook can read PDF format NATIVELY. Last I checked the Kindle required you to 'email' the PDF to your Amazon account in which the servers would process it (for a fee) and allow you to read it on your Kindle.

gettysburgfreak
07-15-2010, 04:15 PM
my sister just bought a nook this afternoon. Ill see how she likes it after giving her some time to mess with it.

BeerAdvocate
07-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Nook hands down.

Nook reads ePub format. This is an open standard format and can be read on nearly everything. There are many hundreds of thousands more books in ePub than AWZ(amazon's proprietary format). (as you mentioned your public library may even support eBooks)

Nook can be bought at Barnes and Noble and Best buy now. Amazon is still the only place for the Kindle.

Nook runs Android as you've mentioned.

Nook can download 'free' books in B&N stores as well as coupons for free goodies at their 'cafe' locations inside of B&N stores.

Nook can read PDF format NATIVELY. Last I checked the Kindle required you to 'email' the PDF to your Amazon account in which the servers would process it (for a fee) and allow you to read it on your Kindle.

Great points!
I also forgot to mention that I like that the Nook has a touch screen at the bottom and not the keyboard.

Mindflux
07-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Forgot to say I got my wife a nook on launch day :) she loves it!!

Samsquanch
07-15-2010, 06:39 PM
I know this wasn't an option and is a bit pricier but I like the iPad. ePub format, a serious multi-tasker (it replaces a laptop for 95% of what I do on a computer), and the things are just fun. You can also load the Kindle app and the Nook app on the iPad for free. I love it.

kelmac07
07-15-2010, 07:14 PM
My wife loved her Kindle...now she has an Ipad.

Lautréamont
07-16-2010, 08:10 AM
On the other hand:

I've had a Sony ereader for over 3 years. The new models have touch screens, but this is not necessarily the way to go since the extra layers of the touch screen add glare to the e-ink display. The IPAD does not use e-ink technology.

Sony now supports epub. Build quality and functionality is Sony. I am not a Sony fanboy but in this case I have been pleased. I use publicly available tools to convert other formats to epub and it works well. The drawback of Sony, if you don't love your computer, is that there is no wifi or 3g wireless. You download ebooks through your computer (Sony book store, library, open source, not so open source...) and sync.

ashtonlady
07-16-2010, 08:16 AM
The Reason I got a Kindle is that it is not hard on my eyes. I get enought back lit screans during the day at work.
You can also down load to Android now. My computer is my computer. My Kindle is my books.

Mindflux
07-16-2010, 09:21 AM
On the other hand:

Sony now supports epub. Build quality and functionality is Sony. I am not a Sony fanboy but in this case I have been pleased. I use publicly available tools to convert other formats to epub and it works well. The drawback of Sony, if you don't love your computer, is that there is no wifi or 3g wireless. You download ebooks through your computer (Sony book store, library, open source, not so open source...) and sync.

Yep, the drawback of the Sony is no wifi or 3g. For the same price you can get a device that has one (or both). Sony needs to remedy that to even compete.

CigarNut
07-16-2010, 10:39 AM
The big advantage of the Kindle over the touch-screen readers and the iPad in particular is the glare issues you have when you are outside.

You can read the Kindle anywhere. No so with the others. So far I have not had any issues with Amazon, PDFs, ePub, etc. Any books that I have wanted that have not been available on the Kindle are not available on any of the other readers either...

Mindflux
07-16-2010, 10:53 AM
The big advantage of the Kindle over the touch-screen readers and the iPad in particular is the glare issues you have when you are outside.

You can read the Kindle anywhere. No so with the others. So far I have not had any issues with Amazon, PDFs, ePub, etc. Any books that I have wanted that have not been available on the Kindle are not available on any of the other readers either...

Nook has the same e-Ink anti-glare screen as the Kindle. The bottom touch part is reflective though.

BeerAdvocate
07-16-2010, 12:07 PM
I picked up the Nook today on my lunch hour. Thanks to all for the recommendation!

wolfandwhisky
07-16-2010, 02:26 PM
nook ftw

Mindflux
07-16-2010, 02:27 PM
I picked up the Nook today on my lunch hour. Thanks to all for the recommendation!

:banger Enjoy! Post back when you've used it a good bit with your opinion.

paris1129
08-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I just picked up a nook this week. So far it is AWESOME!

massphatness
08-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Been using the nook for a couple months now. Enjoy the hell out of it and am reading way may than I used to.

Plus my teeth are whiter.

JDTexan
08-05-2010, 05:07 PM
It is hard to beat the Ipad.

JE3146
08-05-2010, 08:05 PM
It is hard to beat the Ipad.

139/149$ vs 499$

Hard to beat. :r

As for the kindle vs nook. I've played with both in stores. Honestly I say just pick whichever you like starring at the best as they both seem fairly similar.

ashtonlady
08-05-2010, 09:24 PM
It is easy to beat an iPad. They are back lit and hard on the eyes. Kindles are not back lit.

DBall
08-05-2010, 09:47 PM
I've always wanted the nook... I greatly prefer the way those are laid out. Unfortunately, they aren't free and I'm poor.

I'm sure in a year or so they'll be giving them away, so I can wait (unless I find a silly deal somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath).

paris1129
08-06-2010, 07:30 AM
I've always wanted the nook... I greatly prefer the way those are laid out. Unfortunately, they aren't free and I'm poor.

I'm sure in a year or so they'll be giving them away, so I can wait (unless I find a silly deal somewhere, but I'm not holding my breath).

Try craigslist. You can get a decent deal from the buyer's remorseful who choose to unload at a loss after only a couple of weeks.

pnoon
08-06-2010, 07:48 AM
I bought a Kindle a year ago and I'm very happy with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigdix
08-06-2010, 07:56 AM
I-Pad. For sure.

CigarNut
08-06-2010, 08:18 AM
I bought a Kindle a year ago and I'm very happy with it.
Posted via Mobile DeviceDitto!

I-Pad. For sure.The iPad is a fine device for many things -- indoors and normal lighting. The backlit, high-gloss screen makes it impossible to view the screen (or read) outdoors or in any other kind of lighting.

One of the things I really like about the Kindle is the iPhone Kindle app. If I am in the middle of a book and don't have my Kindle with me I can pick the book up on my iPhone right where I left off. The Kindle and iPhone app keep in sync with each other. This still has the same catch as the iPad -- backlighting and high gloss screen make it difficult to read in many places, but I love the app none-the less.

bigdix
08-06-2010, 08:39 AM
The iPad is a fine device for many things -- indoors and normal lighting. The backlit, high-gloss screen makes it impossible to view the screen (or read) outdoors or in any other kind of lighting.

One of the things I really like about the Kindle is the iPhone Kindle app. If I am in the middle of a book and don't have my Kindle with me I can pick the book up on my iPhone right where I left off. The Kindle and iPhone app keep in sync with each other. This still has the same catch as the iPad -- backlighting and high gloss screen make it difficult to read in many places, but I love the app none-the less.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected...and with hindsight, now totally agree!!

kgoings
08-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I knew the Mac freaks would be in here. :td Hey mac freaks no one asked about the ipad. Simple question Kindle or Nook.

BeerAdvocate
08-06-2010, 03:46 PM
The iPad is a fine device for many things -- indoors and normal lighting. The backlit, high-gloss screen makes it impossible to view the screen (or read) outdoors or in any other kind of lighting.

One of the things I really like about the Kindle is the iPhone Kindle app. If I am in the middle of a book and don't have my Kindle with me I can pick the book up on my iPhone right where I left off. The Kindle and iPhone app keep in sync with each other. This still has the same catch as the iPad -- backlighting and high gloss screen make it difficult to read in many places, but I love the app none-the less.

I have the Nook app on my iDroid! :r

Darrell
08-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I knew the Mac freaks would be in here. :td Hey mac freaks no one asked about the ipad. Simple question Kindle or Nook.

I don't fancy your attitude or tone, Mr. Goings. :fu2

kgoings
08-06-2010, 04:01 PM
I don't fancy your attitude or tone, Mr. Goings. :fu2

:D :r

paris1129
08-07-2010, 08:18 AM
I love that you can check out ebooks from the library on the nook. Totally free if you have a library card! Reading one from my library right now!

kzm007
08-07-2010, 11:54 AM
How "page-like" and black/white are is Kindle vs. the Nook; does it actually look like you're reading from paper?

Also, if I have poor AT & T reception in my area, would the Kindle even be worth the investment?

cbsmokin
08-07-2010, 11:59 AM
I heard B&N is up for sale. I wonder if this will impact the nook?

kzm007
08-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I wondered the same thing...selling a company to its own CEO :r I feel sorry for Nook owners if it does affect you all.

kzm007
08-07-2010, 01:26 PM
These are the revised points I would like to address with an e-reader:

Reader should:

- - BE EASY TO USE FOR A LEFT-HANDER :D!

- Be comfortable to operate one-handed

- Be lightweight and easy to hold for lengths of time while reading, yet still not feel like it's going to blow up from overheating, fall apart due to shoddiness if I push a button, etc.

- Be small enough to carry in a pocket if possible, or at least a bookbag or something, with a screen at least 7" or the rough/exact/measurement of a readable softcover book's page.

- Have a non-gloss finish, which would be nice to prevent fingerprints, but plastic's cheap to manufacture with while balancing a decent sales cost, so I'm not holding my breath.

- Have an ergonomic structure (ties into the above point) with comfortable buttons that are easy to press and access and a comfortable grip in the hand(s).

- Have a realistic-looking page display (black on white) and be easy on the eyes for lengths of time, indoors and out with little to (preferably) no reflective screen glare.

- Utilize e-ink and not any form of back-lit LCD, which causes eyestrain and the aforementioned glaring in bright areas.

- Possess an expandable SD/SDHC memory card slot for adding files.

- Have excellent PDF rendering and re-flow/formatting to the device screen. Most of my books will be in PDF unless someone can verify that converting them would be a good thing for me to do(?) and I would naturally want to maintain the comfort to read the page and neat appearance of the formatted text.

- Allow me the ability to view and play numerous formats easily - including audio files.

- Any plug-ins/ports should be tucked out of the way (i.e NOT on the bottom where cables might lie in my lap, unless I can flip the reader as a lefty and thus move them above or to the side for reading).

- Excellent battery life; these things are made to be portable, I want it to last when it's being transported away from home.

- Allow the battery to be user-replaceable.

- Not be tied to any one mobile carrier; if it is, it should be Verizon, as that's all I have available to me.

- OR, the touch-screen should be responsive and as hassle-free as possible.

- On that note, the ability to annotate and mark text would be nice; maybe with the option to save it for later upload to a PC? That would help me as an English major if I ever need to pull information from a text.

- Internet access for book browsing/sampling (if possible) and purchasing, although if it comes down to it, I'll do it through my PC. I don't really need ANOTHER Internet-capable device and am trying to focus primarily on reading alone.

- A PC client may be helpful, but I don't don't know how badly I'd really need one(?)

- Be no more than $225...and even then, I'm being generous. However, if something's out there with a lot of these features, I may reconsider and go a little higher.

I realize e-readers are emerging seemingly overnight, and maybe my ideal plastic-back doesn't exist exactly as I'd like it, just yet, but a guy can still ask and dream, eh?

Also, I apologize for all of these criteria; I feel like I'm asking for a lot for such a primarily single-task device, but at the same time, I want to get my money's worth just like anyone else, and want to make the most out of my reading, turning it back into the relaxing hobby it used to be for me.

I'm also posting this on Mobile Read (http://www.mobileread.com/), which is an e-reader forum, so that's why there's all the nit-picky details. I tried as best I could to group similar feature request together for simplicity...but nothing's ever simple with me, sadly.

All help is definitely appreciated, and thanks again so much. You guys and gals really make the BOTL a joy for me, and I can't wait to combine the love of the leaf with the joy of the leaflet :SS (so terribly corny lol).

Kegan

JE3146
08-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I didn't read your requirements, but realize this is a niche market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_readers