PDA

View Full Version : Edgestar, Avanti, Vinotemp

Donny007
07-15-2010, 11:13 AM
I am looking into getting a cooler. What is the reccomended one to purchase. They all look nice and drawers are avalible for all. Thanks

Darrell
07-15-2010, 11:14 AM
I have two Vinotemps, I've never had a single problem with them. They rock!

kelmac07
07-15-2010, 11:15 AM

:tpd: I'm with Mean D on this one. :tu :tu

WhoDeySchenk
07-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I've got an Edgestar, no problems...they tend to be cheaper in price.

Montano
07-15-2010, 11:39 AM
I ordered an Edgestar yesterday. Seems to be the best bang for the buck.

bsmokin
07-15-2010, 11:42 AM
I have an Edgestar w/ Chasden drawers and it's great! Edgestar is generally cheaper, for the same thing as a Vinotemp. To be honest, I have no idea why people get the Vinos over the Edgestars, unless they get the cheaper on sale somewhere...

Donny007
07-15-2010, 11:56 AM
I have an Edgestar w/ Chasden drawers and it's great! Edgestar is generally cheaper, for the same thing as a Vinotemp. To be honest, I have no idea why people get the Vinos over the Edgestars, unless they get the cheaper on sale somewhere...

Thats what i was hoping to hear. I dont mind spending a couple hundred for the edgrstar. The vino seems a little pricy. Eaiser to sell the iwfe on the edgestar to!! Thanks

waffle
07-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Thats what i was hoping to hear. I dont mind spending a couple hundred for the edgrstar. The vino seems a little pricy. Eaiser to sell the iwfe on the edgestar to!! Thanks

:tpd: I got her lined up to get me one for x-mas!

mariogolbee
07-15-2010, 12:12 PM
I HAD an Avanti. It was very pretty but it didn't seem to do the job. I returned it. I now have a Vinotemp as my main vino and two generics, a 18 bottle and 12 bottle, which work fine.

Giants85
07-15-2010, 12:25 PM
This may be my own personal experience and not necessarily true for all Edgestar brands but, my Edgestar seems to sit right about 60f-63f at the highest temperature setting(which isn't terrible). I believe Vinos may be able to hold a higher temperature better? Like around 65-70?

bsmokin
07-15-2010, 12:29 PM
AHHH... now, if that's true, I'm understanding why people may want to spend the extra $$$$ :) For me, I don't even have my Edgestar plugged in... it's just a nice humidor with an excellent seal. Don't need the temp control where I have it (in the basement). :2

This may be my own personal experience and not necessarily true for all Edgestar brands but, my Edgestar seems to sit right about 60f-63f at the highest temperature setting(which isn't terrible). I believe Vinos may be able to hold a higher temperature better? Like around 65-70?

kydsid
07-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Well the bigger reason the Vino's are so popular, to me at least, is that they were on closeout at Target for a while a couple years ago. You could get them as cheap or cheaper than the current Edgestar.

The other lesser reason to me is that Vino's are though to have better quality. Remains to be seen to me as Chinese is Chinese to me and I haven't had any issues with my Edgestar running 24/7 for 2 years now.

bigliver
07-15-2010, 05:06 PM

Gotta go with D on this one too.

E-Tx Surveyor
07-16-2010, 08:09 AM
I'll be grabbing on Edgestar when it comes time. I smoke on a pretty tight budget and I've seen no major flaws with the Edgestar.

waffle
07-16-2010, 08:27 AM
I have recently found a 28 bottle vinotemp for 100 bones more than an edgestar... question is: is it worth it or should I take that cash and throw it into more smokes?

Brutus2600
07-16-2010, 09:25 AM
I bought an Avanti, the only reason being that's the only brand Target carried and I had a $100 gift card. After the first one arrived severely damaged (they took $10 off the next one) then the second arrived minorly damaged (they took off $40 more), it was like I only paid $65 (with tax) for the whole thing. So...while I would've preferred an Edgestar, I'll live with the Avanti ;) lol.

bsmokin
07-16-2010, 09:27 AM
I think it really comes down to where you live, where you'll keep the humidor, and the ambient temps around there.

If you plan on keeping the fridge plugged in for the cooling, then it sounds like the Vino may be better, since if can maintain a more ideal lower temp (70 degs?).

If you're not going to need the cooling, the Edgestar seems like the way to go...
:2

I have recently found a 28 bottle vinotemp for 100 bones more than an edgestar... question is: is it worth it or should I take that cash and throw it into more smokes?

kydsid
07-16-2010, 09:38 AM
If you're not going to need the cooling, the Edgestar seems like the way to go...

If you aren't going to need the cooling Igloo is the way to go. ;) :2

waffle
07-16-2010, 10:05 AM
I think it really comes down to where you live, where you'll keep the humidor, and the ambient temps around there.

If you plan on keeping the fridge plugged in for the cooling, then it sounds like the Vino may be better, since if can maintain a more ideal lower temp (70 degs?).

Well, we normally keep the house ~ 75 and itll be stored in the basement about 72, so I'm thinking a vino will be better for me as I'll want to keep them cooler than that (reading about the beetles terrifies me)... thanks for the help!

bvilchez
07-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Well the bigger reason the Vino's are so popular, to me at least, is that they were on closeout at Target for a while a couple years ago. You could get them as cheap or cheaper than the current Edgestar.

The other lesser reason to me is that Vino's are though to have better quality. Remains to be seen to me as Chinese is Chinese to me and I haven't had any issues with my Edgestar running 24/7 for 2 years now.

Vinotemp also did a deal for the forum a while back. If you were a member of CA they had them for $199 + shipping. I have one and have had no issues with it.

Giants85
07-16-2010, 11:31 AM

From what I've read, I don't believe there is much of an issue with keeping the cigars cooler than 70, I think 60-70 is usually fine. It may be harder to maintain your desired RH at lower temps but if you are using beads this will more than likely not be an issue.

If you feel 60 is too low, you could always look into getting an external temp control. Can probably pick one up between $50 and $75, this will allow you keep the cigars right where you prefer them. But, at that point, the vino may be around the same price?

If you are lucky you can sometimes find the edgestar as an open box item at Compact Appliance for around $100, which is where I got mine.

bsmokin
07-16-2010, 11:46 AM
No chasden draws for an igloo ;)

Also, you can't beat the seal on a fridge.

If you aren't going to need the cooling Igloo is the way to go. ;) :2

Krish the Fish
07-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I actually just ordered an Edgestar last week, based on recommendations from BOTLs that I know personally, who have had no problems with theirs. Got it for 205 shipped, and then since they were backordered and more delays, got 40 more off. 165 shipped seems like a good deal to me... ordered my Chasden trays & shelves for it too, so can't wait to get it, fill it up, and then wait on the drawers lol.

Donny007
07-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Ended up ordering the Avanti. Got a good deal at wal-mart.com. Now what??? I want drawers but have to wait to measure the unit. Is the Oasis overkill?? I dont mind spending the $100 if it makes life easier and a stable humidity. I also like the fact that i can add fans and control them right through the oasis unit.. Do u still use beads with Oasis unit?? Thanks again

postjack
07-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Ended up ordering the Avanti. Got a good deal at wal-mart.com. Now what??? I want drawers but have to wait to measure the unit. Is the Oasis overkill?? I dont mind spending the $100 if it makes life easier and a stable humidity. I also like the fact that i can add fans and control them right through the oasis unit.. Do u still use beads with Oasis unit?? Thanks again

I'm curious about the Oasis as well, especially since the amount of beads it takes to control the RH in my Edgestar approaches the price of an Oasis anyway.

Donny007
07-18-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm curious about the Oasis as well, especially since the amount of beads it takes to control the RH in my Edgestar approaches the price of an Oasis anyway.

Didnt even think of that!!! Good point

mcmoyer
07-18-2010, 08:23 AM
I have an Avanti (28) with 1lb of Shilala beads...it runs 65-65 without a hitch. Waiting on some Chasden goodies for it.

:tu

Ogre
07-18-2010, 08:28 AM
I have an Avanti 34 bottle. For Temp control I am using this:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/fermentation-temperature-control/johnson-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller.html
Works well, and you can adjust the temp range. I ran the temp probe up the drain hole, taped it to the back wall of the cooler than sealed the hole. Tested it right after set up, it cycled about once an hour and i live in the Florida heat and it was in a back room with allot of windows.

Ogre
07-18-2010, 08:30 AM
The cooler was also empty at the time, will be better when I get the Drawers and stock them. It will be an awesome set up. Also, I got my cooler off of craigs list for $60, the deals are out there.

big a
07-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I got my Vino off craigslist for $150 and love it. If you dont mind it used you could try looking there for one local.

Brutus2600
07-18-2010, 12:15 PM
I have an Avanti 34 bottle. For Temp control I am using this:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/fermentation-temperature-control/johnson-controls-a419-digital-temp-controller.html
Works well, and you can adjust the temp range. I ran the temp probe up the drain hole, taped it to the back wall of the cooler than sealed the hole. Tested it right after set up, it cycled about once an hour and i live in the Florida heat and it was in a back room with allot of windows.

The highest my cooler will go is 64F. I'd prefer to keep it at 70F, but I don't know if I could justify spending $80 for a 6 degree difference. How big of a difference would those few degrees make?

klipsch
07-18-2010, 01:42 PM
I've had my EdgeStar for a year now...no issues. Can't see spending more money for something that does the exact same thing. From what I've read, the higher price certainly doesn't appear to be for exemplary customer service if there's a problem.

Ogre
07-18-2010, 02:03 PM
The highest my cooler will go is 64F. I'd prefer to keep it at 70F, but I don't know if I could justify spending $80 for a 6 degree difference. How big of a difference would those few degrees make?

I believe its personal preference. A slightly lower temp I believe would be ok as long as Rh was maintained. I deal with the FL heat so I do what I can to control both. I am sure you will get as many answers as there are members here. Good luck with your setup.

thebayratt
07-18-2010, 05:52 PM
I have a Vino.
The only "issue" I have with it is if you loose power, when it gets back on the Vino resets to like 57degrees. If you don't catch it.
I am not sure if the others do that.