PDA

View Full Version : Auto Cleaning/Waxing

kenstogie
07-15-2010, 07:27 AM
What are the BEST and EASIEST Car washing and Waxing procedures??

What Products do you use??

Recently purchase a new vehicle (not actual car but identical) and have actually cleared the garage out of all the junk and am detemined to take care of it....

http://images.mjmi.com/new400/Nissan/2010_Altima_SLATE.jpg

Ashcan Bill
07-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Well, I don't know about the "Easiest" part. If you truly want something to look good, you're going to have to expend a little energy. :D

Personally I use Zaino products and I've even had my Lexus dealer ask me what I did to make the car look so good.

Zaino (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Zaino)

bvilchez
07-15-2010, 01:01 PM
I personally use Meguiar's 4 Step process.

md4958
07-15-2010, 01:07 PM
I tried turtlewax ice for the first time last year... goes on easy, and I can apply it right in the sun, no white residue or buildup.

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1,1

replicant_argent
07-15-2010, 01:08 PM
All you will ever need to know, or experiment with (x 100) will be found here:
http://www.autopia.org/

knowledge for newbies to pros, and everything in between.

bigswol2
07-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Meguiars, Mothers, Griots or Klasse

RGD.
07-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Personally I use Zaino products and I've even had my Lexus dealer ask me what I did to make the car look so good.

Zaino (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Zaino)

Zaino Brothers and Autopia is all you need to know.

Zaino polishes as just simply incredible. Follow the directions right down to the towels that you use and you will be simply amazed.

Also investing a in good polisher such as the Porter Cable 7424 and pads will help immensely.

Ron

Wanger
07-15-2010, 01:32 PM
http://www.jasoncollin.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/karate-kid-1984-screenshot-495x.png

:r:r:r

kenstogie
07-15-2010, 01:44 PM

knowledge for newbies to pros, and everything in between.

I have been checking that sight out but it's info overload. I have a new car so if I seal it well now and garage it, it will last with less effort.

My plan thus far is to

A- wash with a good soap (Mother's Maguires etc) Dry with 100% cotton
B- Clay bar it (if needed)
C- Wash it again
D- Klasse high gloss sealant.
E- Repeat C for more protection.

That's my plan anyway any feel free to give me constructive critisism. :)

HK3-
07-15-2010, 01:51 PM
For me- Meguires soap, Ice or SC1 for wax.

poker
07-15-2010, 01:52 PM
I use only P21S on my cars. An orbital polisher is worth its weight in gold if you're a car fanatic. I have a Porter Cable 7424 and love it.

Wash
Clay
Wash
Polish
(optional wash)
Wax
Buff

=

http://i11.piczo.com/view/1/v/1/2/q/9/q/h/d/5/img/i3118565_59850.jpg

replicant_argent
07-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Also a 7424 owner, btw... and for VERY simple, good wax, follow Pokers method, and use Collinite insulator wax. It goes a long way, and it is very easy to use, slightly different depth than some, but still rocks well on paint or wheels.
I also have about 12 other type of high end waxes and polishes, but for simplicities sake......

kenstogie
07-15-2010, 01:58 PM
I am going with a Sealant because as I have read it is superior protection and duration. If I am so inclined I could throw some actual Wax over the sealant for a superior shine.

--Kelly, if you seal it well when new would you need to Polish it?

--Any good resources for 100% cotton towels? Or are there other drying options?

replicant_argent
07-15-2010, 02:00 PM
I am going with a Sealant because as I have read it is superior protection and duration. If I am so inclined I could throw some actual Wax over the sealant for a superior shine.

Picture sealant as a dress shirt and a wax as the jacket....

Ok , just kidding a little, but the wax is like a sacrificial layer over the sealant, so you can use both. And the wax helps it give some paints that incredible "depth," especially with a pearl coat or a micro flake paint. Some people actually "layer" different waxes.... I dunno if I am gonna buy that, or the time, but hey, if you wanna play, some evidently lay on top of each other well....

Also, a GOOD microfiber towel is softer, and easier to use than cotton towels or chamois.

poker
07-15-2010, 02:05 PM

I cant say much about the sealants (Menzerna comes to mind) since I like traditional carnuba wax.

The only towels I use are microfiber. Pretty good deals all over the web. I used to use autogeek.net for most of my stuff

Mindflux
07-15-2010, 02:08 PM
I'd echo Zaino and Autopia as everyone else has. :) Though you'll find a lot of other great sealants other than Zaino. If you think cigar buying addiction is bad, wait until you get sealant/wax/polish/car care stuff addiction. Woo-Wee.

Other popular sealants are: Blackfire Wet Diamond, Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection, Wolfgang Deep Gloss, Menzerna Power Lock to name a few. The latest craze is the Wipe On, Walk Away sealants such as Optimum Opti-Seal, Zaino Clear-Seal, Ultima Paint Guard Plus, etc. Literally spread it on evenly and let it dry. No buffing off.

But with anything, preparation for your last step product (known as "LSP" on Autopia) is a KEY ingredient to a nice shiny/slick paint surface.

ridenlive
07-15-2010, 02:19 PM
auto magic seems to work just fine for me and 3m based products. i use to work for a autobody shop thats all we used some of the guys used meguiars quick detail but that was about it.

Mindflux
07-15-2010, 02:41 PM
You may also have luck in picking up DuraGloss locally. If you can get the DuraGloss TPP #105 or their #111 sealant. Along with their #901 soap (16oz?) or #902 (Gallon) and AquaWax #951 QD/Spray "wax" you have a good start for stuff you can procure locally.

If for some reason you can't find it locally but want to try it, duragloss.com ships any size order for just $5 in shipping fees. They have tons of good products and there's a LOT of speculation that Zaino and Duragloss are 'eerily' similar. Though nobody knows for sure.

MikeyC
07-15-2010, 03:36 PM

The sealant and/or wax doesn't really protect the paint from mechanical abrasion only environmental hazards (bird poo, acid rain, etc.). Even if you don't wash your car right you can scratch it resulting in the need to polish. Most dealers have NO idea how to wash a car and most new cars are delivered with their finish scratched to heck. The dealer then uses a glaze loaded with fillers to temporarily hide the scratches.

Also, re: cotton towels. No one uses cotton anymore. Sometimes, I use my old cotton towels on my leather interior but that's about it. Microfiber towels are more effective and less abrasive.

Read this auto detailing guide I wrote a number of years back:

http://www.thedetailinghandbook.com

Mindflux
07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
The sealant and/or wax doesn't really protect the paint from mechanical abrasion only environmental hazards (bird poo, acid rain, etc.). Even if you don't wash your car right you can scratch it resulting in the need to polish. Most dealers have NO idea how to wash a car and most new cars are delivered with their finish scratched to heck. The dealer then uses a glaze loaded with fillers to temporarily hide the scratches.

Also, re: cotton towels. No one uses cotton anymore. Sometimes, I use my old cotton towels on my leather interior but that's about it. Microfiber towels are more effective and less abrasive.

Read this auto detailing guide I wrote a number of years back:

http://www.thedetailinghandbook.com

I've seen your chart around, but it seems autogeek has expanded on it with newer products.

http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm

Also there's been a lot of talk about whether polishing your glass via a PC doesn't cause distortion from the heat buildup. It's not as hard as one would think to warp glass.

MikeyC
07-15-2010, 04:30 PM
I've seen your chart around, but it seems autogeek has expanded on it with newer products.

http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm

Also there's been a lot of talk about whether polishing your glass via a PC doesn't cause distortion from the heat buildup. It's not as hard as one would think to warp glass.

There's always a lot of debate in detailing just like there is in cigars. I've polished glass 100 times and never distorted it. It's pretty hard to develop any heat with a PC and a 5"+ pad.

Also, I can't full credit for the chart. Like Autogeek expanded the chart, I expanded it based on one I had found done by someone else.

kenstogie
07-15-2010, 07:47 PM
So as my order from Amazon arrives with all the wax n such I went rummaging through that shelf of chemicals many of us seem to have and found the following products. They probably have been sitting there for a decade or so...

-Black majic car wash (smells good)
-Simoniz (has Carnuba wax and a bunch of other stuff I can't pronounce)
-Meguiars cleaner wax

I don't think I will be using any of it.
I was pretty sure there's a reason I never used it. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Mindflux
07-15-2010, 09:13 PM
So as my order from Amazon arrives with all the wax n such I went rummaging through that shelf of chemicals many of us seem to have and found the following products. They probably have been sitting there for a decade or so...

-Black majic car wash (smells good)
-Simoniz (has Carnuba wax and a bunch of other stuff I can't pronounce)
-Meguiars cleaner wax

I don't think I will be using any of it.
I was pretty sure there's a reason I never used it. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

What did you pick up from Amazon? Who was the 'real' seller?

MikeyC
07-15-2010, 09:14 PM
What did you pick up from Amazon? Who was the 'real' seller?

I bet Autogeek.

Mindflux
07-15-2010, 09:17 PM
I bet Autogeek.

I'd bet so too. That's a shame if so, they have a 10% off coupon (always) or a free shipping coupon over $95 (always).. so you figure which does you better price wise and use the appropriate code.

They also ship free for 3-6 hours after a two guys garage airs on speed channel all this month.

July 4th weekend I got 20% off my order with a coupon they offered and waited for the free shipping offer to pop up after the show aired on speed channel. So I got 20% off AND free shipping. :banger

kenstogie
07-15-2010, 09:22 PM
I got macguiars soap, Klasse sealant and some micro fiber towels. Also I guess I need a clay bar but I am unsure if there's a difference so I haven't gotten that. If it's a new car is it even needed? I would have to check the actual seller.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mindflux
07-15-2010, 09:26 PM
I got macguiars soap, Klasse sealant and some micro fiber towels. Also I guess I need a clay bar but I am unsure if there's a difference so I haven't gotten that. If it's a new car is it even needed? I would have to check the actual seller.
Posted via Mobile Device

New cars can benefit from claying to remove any imbedded rail dust on your paint. If you've ever seen little tiny flecks of what look like rust on your cars finish you'll understand what I mean.

You can go down to AutoZone and get a Clay Magic kit for about $17 dollars that has a clay bar and a QD spray or spend about $20 and get the Meguiar's kit with clay, spray and a microfiber towel. (If I remember right).

Both are reasonable deals for OTC. There's also a Mothers clay bar kit you'll find at Target.. again it's in the 15-20 dollar range and is fine.

Split the clay bar up into several pieces and flatten a piece out and start claying your car and using the QD spray as lubricant, turning and kneading the clay to keep the surface of the clay 'clean' every panel or two. When it's too dirty to knead a clean surface out of it chuck that piece, but on a new car that's not very likely.

Keep all of the claybar in a ziploc baggy with a couple squirts of qd spray to keep it from drying out. :)

Here's a picture of rail dust on a tundra.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/darla2000/IMG_4131.jpg

Also just to be clear: Claybars can be abrasive and leave tracer marks on your paint! Make sure the car is washed THOROUGHLY and do not apply any downward pressure on the claybar when claying! Make sure to use PLENTY of claybar lubricant. (or a 16oz spray bottle full of tap water with a capful of car wash soap works great for this duty too)

If you get some tracers, don't get too worked up.. you can probably polish them out by hand since you won't have invested in a buffer at this stage. You'll just need something with a mild abrasive action in it like Meguiars Scratch X.

kenstogie
07-16-2010, 04:12 AM
That's some great info Mindflux. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

kenstogie
07-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Just thought I'd mention that big lots has a 5 piece car cleaning kit for 7.00. Includes MF wash mitt, Mf glass towel, MF finishing towel, mf dusting towel and 3x3 foot MF drying towel. Also there is 20pct off coupon on sunday. I bought two and am returning some stuff to Target. A penny saved...
Posted via Mobile Device

RGD.
07-16-2010, 05:26 PM
My plan thus far is to

A- wash with a good soap (Mother's Maguires etc) Dry with 100% cotton

Forget the "good" soap to start with. You are really wanting to strip the car. Use Dawn dish washing soap for the washes until you start to add your polish. The Dawn will do just what it does for your dishes - remove the dirt, wax, oily deposits, etc etc.

Ron

poker
07-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Forget the "good" soap to start with. You are really wanting to strip the car. Use Dawn dish washing soap for the washes until you start to add your polish. The Dawn will do just what it does for your dishes - remove the dirt, wax, oily deposits, etc etc.

Ron

I agree with using Dawn as soap. The only thing ya gotta remember is to definetly wax after using it since it definetly will remove all the old wax.

kenstogie
07-16-2010, 09:29 PM
It does have the original wax from the dealer (I have only had the car a week) and it's not in bad shape but Wouldn't the new sealant (klasse) adhere to clean paint and thus be better?
Posted via Mobile Device

kenstogie
07-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Done. Wow that takes some time.
Wash, rinse. Dry.
Wash with dawn (to strip) rinse, dry.
Clay bar
Wash, rinse, dry.
Wax,( I got some Meguires NXT in the interim) buff, wipe down with a MF cloth, done. Took about 4 hours. I can see where a buffer would come in handy. I also got a telscoping handle eith MF attachement. That helped the washing go quicker. If I am feeling ambitious I throw another coat of wax on tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

kenstogie
07-17-2010, 05:46 PM
So here's the result.....

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_sctUupuw_Zk/TEI-MYq4OiI/AAAAAAAAEtw/eCer5UDZuMw/s800/IMG_3358%20copy3.jpg

RGD.
07-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Done. Wow that takes some time.
Wash, rinse. Dry.
Wash with dawn (to strip) rinse, dry.
Clay bar
Wash, rinse, dry.
Wax,( I got some Meguires NXT in the interim) buff, wipe down with a MF cloth, done. Took about 4 hours. I can see where a buffer would come in handy. I also got a telscoping handle eith MF attachement. That helped the washing go quicker. If I am feeling ambitious I throw another coat of wax on tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

No polish huh?

Looks good in the picture - :tu

Ron

kenstogie
07-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Hey Ron With anew Car does it need to be polished? After the clay it felt like glass and looked good. If so when would you?
Posted via Mobile Device

RGD.
07-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey Ron With anew Car does it need to be polished? After the clay it felt like glass and looked good. If so when would you?
Posted via Mobile Device

After you clay and before you wax. Sorry.

Polishing is what shines and brings out the depth. Waxing is like a protective coating if you wish.

Personally I don't wax - just use Zainos polishes.

You've already waxed so wait until you need to reapply then use the Dawn soap to strip, then polish and wax if you wish.

Ron

MikeyC
07-17-2010, 10:02 PM
After you clay and before you wax. Sorry.

Polishing is what shines and brings out the depth. Waxing is like a protective coating if you wish.

Personally I don't wax - just use Zainos polishes.

You've already waxed so wait until you need to reapply then use the Dawn soap to strip, then polish and wax if you wish.

Ron

To use dish soap on your car or not to is a debate that was pretty dead until Sal Zaino hit the scene. Up until then it was pretty universally agreed that it was a bad idea based on many, many reasons. Personally, I'm against using dish soap on your car but no matter what side of the debate you find yourself on when you polish the car it will remove any wax/sealant you have on your car. So, there's really no need to use dish soap at all if you're polishing.

kenstogie
07-27-2010, 12:31 PM
FYI
24" x 12" Microfiber Car Towel are on sale *(use this code MLCK401031072772AL1)
For $.69

At meritline.com. I order from there all the time.
http://www.meritline.com/28x12-microfiber-car-towel---p-27271.aspx?source=s2010

shipping is included. Delivery can take a week or so but worth the wait considering the price. I think it may be a limit of one.

T.G
07-27-2010, 12:42 PM
How NOT to wash your car...

http://www.constructionequip.net/2009/08/06/liebherr-excavator-crushing-blow-of-water/

tsolomon
07-27-2010, 01:06 PM
I have a Porter 7424 and will spend a whole weekend detailing the car. I have used Medzerma with good results but recently switched to the Blackfire products. I finish with the Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax as my final coat and I'm real happy with the results. I have a friend who uses the Zaino products and I was impressed with the results she got. If I'm short on time I'll use the Klasse All-in-One product.

kgoings
07-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Anyone do any deep scratch repair themselves? My daughter hit my car with her bike and the handlebars gouged it to the metal.

pektel
07-27-2010, 01:37 PM
For scratch repair, try the Langka kit. Very good kit for an amateur.

I use touch up paint, overfill, wetsand, polish. That's, of course really over-simplified, and wetsanding isn't somthing to rush blindly into.

Here's where to buy the Langka kit.
http://www.langka.com/complete-paint-chip-repair-kit-p-30.html

You will need to source the touchup paint though. Safest bet for a perfect match is:
www.paintscratch.com

kenstogie
09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
just thought i'd mention that Biglots has Meguiars quick detaailer for 2 bucks for the 16 oz size.
Posted via Mobile Device

mhailey
09-08-2010, 03:34 PM
I personally use Meguiar's 4 Step process.

:tpd: (although I do the three step: clean, polish, wax. Don't know what the 4th step is).

bobarian
09-08-2010, 05:11 PM
:tpd: (although I do the three step: clean, polish, wax. Don't know what the 4th step is).

Stand back and :D?

pektel
09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
a full detail can consist of fifty plus steps. But That's if you really break it down. A full paint correction detail can take anywhere from 25 to over 100 hours, depending on my client's needs and expectations.
Posted via Mobile Device

mosesbotbol
09-08-2010, 06:18 PM
and use Collinite insulator wax. It goes a long way, and it is very easy to use, slightly different depth than some, but still rocks well on paint or wheels.

I also use Collinite wax, but their carnuba limited edition. Really clear, long lasting and fairly easy to use.

Also, another clay bar user. I have a fine and medium, Magic Clay I think it's called. Use the spray lube with it too. Sometimes use 3M hand glaze between clay and wax.

I buy Meguiar's gallon size jugs for Wheel Cleaner, Glass Cleaner, and Hyper Carwash.

Connolly's Hide Food for leather, Pledge for the wood, and Vinylex for the plastic.

pektel
09-08-2010, 06:36 PM
which collinite is limited edition? I am guessing you are referring to 915. Marque d'elegance or something like that. That wax is especially nice on darker colors. A couple of my favorite waxes right now are zymol ital, dodo juice supernatural, and rubbish boy's original edition. The basic steps for a detail are:

1. wash
2. clay
3. polish
4. glaze
5. seal
6. wax

of course, there is much elaboration on each of those steps, but this is the basic process.
Posted via Mobile Device

mosesbotbol
09-09-2010, 06:51 AM
which collinite is limited edition? I am guessing you are referring to 915. Marque d'elegance or something like that. That wax is especially nice on darker colors.

Yes, it is the Marque d'Elegance. I did not have it in front of me. Yes, it is good on darker colors such as my navy blue car. I find that now matter how well I removed the excess wax, a couple of weeks later, there are still a few traces, but once those have been gone over it is good for a while.

mosesbotbol
09-09-2010, 06:54 AM
The basic steps for a detail are:

1. wash
2. clay
3. polish
4. glaze
5. seal
6. wax

What are your picks for hand applied polish, glaze, and sealers?

pektel
09-09-2010, 08:50 AM
I never knew it was limited edition, as I'm always able to find it. Great wax though. And reasonably priced.

I really HATE polishing by hand. I have never done a whole car that way. The only times I polish by hand is when I can't get to the area with the polisher, such as under door handles. In that case, I actually prefer Meguiar's M105 though I have used Menz Super Intensive Polish before as well. I find that I really have to step up the aggressiveness when polishing by hand.

For glaze, it would depend on what's going on top of it, and what I'm looking to do with the glaze. If you are looking to fill imperfections (which you can only expect a very slight amount of filling), Then either Meguiar's #7 show car glaze, or Meguiar's D151 reconditioning creme. I personally do not rely on glazes to mask imperfections. I prefer to permanently remove the imperfections.

If you are just looking to add shine/wetness: Chemical Guy's EZ Creme Glaze. Danase wet glaze used to be the big dog for adding wetness, but has been discontinued. There is a Wet Glaze 2.0 out now that is supposed to be better than the original formula, bu tI havent tried it yet.

For sealants, my favorite now is Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. Havent tried the new MEnzerna Power Lock yet, because the jury is still out on durability.

kenstogie
10-02-2010, 02:39 PM
just got done cleaning and waxing the ride. Used Muguiers NXT Sealant NICE!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_sctUupuw_Zk/TKeYLH3yr1I/AAAAAAAAEzs/2cUPwJ_bPDI/s800/030%20Cropped.jpg