PDA

View Full Version : Deployed Cigar Care

jjmitchem
07-15-2010, 05:13 AM
Have a quick question - I will probably solve this once I build a coolidor out here in eastern Iraq

Righ now I have my cigars in a couple of travel cases - the crushproof watertight kind. Every couple of days I open them and check the moisture pad and add some humidification fluid if it is dry

I have a couple of cigars that look like they are swollen and cracked open - is this too much humidity in these airtight containers or is if the heat out here? My CHU fluctuates from about 80 something in the day to a little chilly at night -we just leave the AC running.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

bobarian
07-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Definitely too moist. If the containers are air tight you will only need to add water every couple of weeks at most. Order a digital hygrometer and calibrate it using a Boveda Test Kit. Hawaii's relative humidity is fairly constant year round, so you really shouldn't need to worry too much about Rh. I would order some beads from Heartfelt Industries(Dave ships to servicemen for free!), they require much less maintenance than PG solution. :2

jjmitchem
07-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Hawaii's humidity is pretty constant but so is Iraq - very dry! Looking for a cooler now to get something working

icantbejon
07-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Definitely too moist. If the containers are air tight you will only need to add water every couple of weeks at most. Order a digital hygrometer and calibrate it using a Boveda Test Kit. Hawaii's relative humidity is fairly constant year round, so you really shouldn't need to worry too much about Rh. I would order some beads from Heartfelt Industries(Dave ships to servicemen for free!), they require much less maintenance than PG solution. :2

:tpd:

I used a large crush proof box for my humi over the course of 15 months in Iraq and I never had a problem. I got my hands on some of the heartfelt beads, and a jug of distilled water and I only had to mess with them every month or so, after it stabilized. I highly recommend the beads, regardless of what type of case you have, in that environment because they will control the humidity better than just about anything else you can put in there.

Stay safe over there brother :salute:

bvilchez
07-15-2010, 11:51 AM
When I was deployed last I ended up getting 4 coolers and placing them under my rack. You should be able to find some in the PX/BX. Order yourself some a hygrometer and test kit as mentioned and beads, either Shilala's or Heartfelt, to help control humidity.

In the meantime, get with the cooks to acquire distilled water. You're going to have to build something to catch the steam that rises from the kitchen when they're cooking chow. That's what I did. A few smokes and I had free reign in that territory for 3 weeks. In a few days you should be able to collect up a approximately 2-4 gallons of distilled water.

Maintaining your smokes out there is of an essence. The footwork you put in now will be better than the headaches you have later if you don't.

jjmitchem
07-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks guys - looking for a container - we do not have a px here at our FOB, pretty remote, all we have is a Hadji shop. I'll figure something out though. And I do plan to order some beads once I know the size I'll need

Jim