PDA

View Full Version : Salt test specifics

76GTFan
07-13-2010, 06:00 PM
All right I have searched and read all about the process, but have a more detail needed question.

What is considered the right dampness for the salt. I have heard somewhat slushy to barely moist. I get different readings from trying both. The last test I did had my hygro, reading at 82%, so obviously one would think 7 points off. I get less when the salt isn't as moist. Does anyone know a proportion that they know works?

Sorry for the confusion, but just want a proven method.

Eleven
07-13-2010, 06:39 PM
I would love to have specific amounts to go by, like 1 gram of salt and 2 milliliters of distilled.

I also get different results every time I do the test, and they are consistent using 2 hygrometers in the same bag. See this (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33891) thread.

Mark C
07-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I posted a thread about this some time back, should be around here somewhere. I found good success with 1 part water, two parts salt. I didn't test around to bracket the 'optimal range', but 2:1 should do what you want if I remember right (been awhile).

nayslayer
07-13-2010, 07:23 PM
I understood it as the salt should be wet, but no standing water

76GTFan
07-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Maybe I am doing it right. So with my test coming out at 82%, then I am 7 points high. I my humidor it reads 70%. It just doesn't seem, from a feel test, that my RH is at 63% in my cooler. They arent smoking like 63. On onward my search for the answer goes. Thanks for the replies.

Wharf Rat
07-13-2010, 07:41 PM
You want it about like a nice slushy snowcone.

If you're technically oriented, you want a supersaturated solution.

bobarian
07-13-2010, 08:08 PM
If you are uncomfortable with the salt test just pickup a Boveda Test Kit. :2

md4958
07-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Im in full agreement with Bob. The easiest way to perform the "salt test" is to buy one of these
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M3hzi2ZxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

no mess, no fuss, and they last 3 months, so you can loan it to a friend when youre done.

stewshi
07-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Im in full agreement with Bob. The easiest way to perform the "salt test" is to buy one of these
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41M3hzi2ZxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

no mess, no fuss, and they last 3 months, so you can loan it to a friend when youre done.

I agree with this I got one when I bought beads and adjustable hygrometer from Shilala it has worked in calibrating all 4 of the other ones I previously bought. You can find them on various websites.

dwoodward
07-13-2010, 11:42 PM
I got my hygrometer coming in the mail as we speak, and I also bought the calibration pack just to be safe. I have read a ton about mixed results with the salt test, and just to be safe I figured the calibration pack would be well worth the investment to be sure that my hygrometer was 100% accurate.

kenstogie
07-14-2010, 06:51 AM
I always read the salt should be a "paste". So as someone wrote no standing water and no dry white crytals either.Its only salt whip up a few batches and experiment. Make sure your container is airtight.
Posted via Mobile Device