PDA

View Full Version : Shilala Beads vs. Heartfelt

76GTFan
07-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Might be a dumb question, but is there really any difference in performance? I have used the same Heartfelt beads for a few years now. Are Shilala beads more stable. I do sometimes having trouble in the warm seasons keeping my humi down at 65%. Any opinions would be appreciated. I just notice everyone talking about Shilala now, instead of Heartfelt.:confused:

colinb913
07-11-2010, 10:55 PM
this is gonna get violent. but shilala 4 sure
Posted via Mobile Device

pnoon
07-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

That's absurd. Why would you say that?

icehog3
07-11-2010, 11:40 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

I have used both, and I have had perfect results with both. Have you?

mariogolbee
07-12-2010, 12:49 AM
I'm use both. I prefer the Shilala beads as far as maintenance goes but I think that Heartfelt beads are more versatile, especially for the money. If I could afford it then I would stick to Shilala beads and use the Heartfelt beads only to catch condensation off of the fan in each of my vinos.

kelmac07
07-12-2010, 01:07 AM
I have used both and prefer the low maintenance of Shilalas beads. Have been rocking my two vinos and three desktops at 64%-65% without me doing anything. It is a matter of personal preference. But I recommend to my friends to use Shilalas beads all the time. For the humidity we have in Virginia...they work like a champ. :2

Ogre
07-12-2010, 05:08 AM
I have never used Heartfelt, but my Shilalas beads have worked perfect. From what I have read, its a personal choice.

chenvt
07-12-2010, 05:54 AM
Maybe it's just me, but between the two I find the shilala beads to work faster

waffle
07-12-2010, 06:12 AM
I'm with everyone else, I like the fact that Shilala beads are very low maintenance (i.e. no water added), however, if you need a Lot, Heartfelt is the more economical of the two choices and they only require a couple of squirts from a spray bottle to reload them. Like everyone has said, it all boils down to personal preference. They are both very good products with strengths and weaknesses.

md4958
07-12-2010, 06:24 AM
I also have used both, and I find that Shilala beads are lower in maintenance... Ive also had better success with Shilala beads in consistency.

G G
07-12-2010, 06:28 AM
I also have used both, and I find that Shilala beads are lower in maintenance... Ive also had better success with Shilala beads in consistency.
Same here. I agree with Moe 100%.

Subvet642
07-12-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm currently using the 65%RH Heartfelt beads and they're working just fine for me. I find that having to manually add water to them to be pretty easy and straightforward.

mahtofire
07-12-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm currently using the 65%RH Heartfelt beads and they're working just fine for me. I find that having to manually add water to them to be pretty easy and straightforward.

True dat! I have been using heartfelt for 5 years now and I can handle the reloads no problem.

waffle
07-12-2010, 07:32 AM
True dat! I have been using heartfelt for 5 years now and I can handle the reloads no problem.

Yeah, I wasn't saying reloads were hard/problematic, I was just trying to lay out the biggest difference besides cost...

MajorCaptSilly
07-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I wasn't saying reloads were hard/problematic, I was just trying to lay out the biggest difference besides cost...

You can't just "reload: Shilala beads If you pour water directly on them, it does bad things to them. Both options offer "2-way" humidification in that they will humidify up to the percentage they are advertised to accomodate as well as "soak up" the extra humidity when the humidty outside your humidor becomes high enough to affect the humidty inside. The Shilala beads tend to be more "set and forget" and the Heartfelt need more monitoring especially if you are in a dry climate or have cold winters. I Shilala beads in my Vinodor and Heartfelt in all my other humidors. Both work very well for me.

MCS

MiamiE
07-12-2010, 08:42 AM
That's absurd. Why would you say that?

Because it's happened before. :rolleyes:

pnoon
07-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Because it's happened before. :rolleyes:

a) I don't agree.
b) Even if it did get "violent" before, a post like that serves no purpose other than to fan the flames.
Posted via Mobile Device

76GTFan
07-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Wow. I guess it is pretty debateable. I may try shilala. Like I stated before, I am having problems keeping my RH at 65% in the summer. Stays at 70 just fine, and yes I do have 65% beads. I need to do a salt test just to be sure, but if that passes then I will give shilala a try. Luckily I have only a 100 ct cooler, so shouldn't break my wallet.

waffle
07-12-2010, 09:05 AM
You can't just "reload: Shilala beads If you pour water directly on them, it does bad things to them. Both options offer "2-way" humidification in that they will humidify up to the percentage they are advertised to accomodate as well as "soak up" the extra humidity when the humidty outside your humidor becomes high enough to affect the humidty inside. The Shilala beads tend to be more "set and forget" and the Heartfelt need more monitoring especially if you are in a dry climate or have cold winters. I Shilala beads in my Vinodor and Heartfelt in all my other humidors. Both work very well for me.

MCS

I apologize for that MCS, I didn't mean that Shilala beads were reloaded... I mean that one of the main differences was that Heartfelt needed to be watched and kept hydrated a bit differently... sorry for the confusion. And for the record, I have shilala beads in my humidors and absolutely love the way they work.

bvilchez
07-12-2010, 09:38 AM
I have used both but prefered Shilala's just for the simple fact of consistency as mentioned before.

bobarian
07-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Have Shilala's beads ever been certified as non toxic and food safe? Its been a while since I checked.

Ogre
07-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I am vary impressed, 21 posts in and no bashing. Everyone has voiced their opinion in an adult manner. Makes me proud to be a membe.:banger:banger

waffle
07-12-2010, 10:21 AM
I am vary impressed, 21 posts in and no bashing. Everyone has voiced their opinion in an adult manner. Makes me proud to be a membe.:banger:banger

Its similar to lots of things in the cigar world I'm finding out, all based on personal preference... and I think everyone is just trying to give all sides and why the prefer what they prefer :xxx

Ogre
07-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Its similar to lots of things in the cigar world I'm finding out, all based on personal preference... and I think everyone is just trying to give all sides and why the prefer what they prefer :xxx

I have been on some other sites (remain nameless) that it gets vicious, name calling and personal attacks. Thats why I hang out here.

KenyanSandBoa
07-12-2010, 10:28 AM
I have used both and prefer the low maintenance of Shilalas beads. Have been rocking my two vinos and three desktops at 64%-65% without me doing anything. It is a matter of personal preference. But I recommend to my friends to use Shilalas beads all the time. For the humidity we have in Virginia...they work like a champ. :2

I'm with you on this one, Mac. Granted New England summers aren't as bad as Virginia summers, but we get some pretty big spikes in humidity and I noticed my humis with Shilala beads are more stable than the one with Heartfelt beads.

CigarNut
07-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Have Shilala's beads ever been certified as non toxic and food safe? Its been a while since I checked.From the MSDS:
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
Hazardous Ingredients: None Known
Route of Entry: Inhalation
Health Hazard: None
Signs and Symptoms of Exposure: None

FIRST AID MEASURES
Swallowing: If ingested in large quantities contact physician for permission to induce vomiting
Skin Contact: None
Inhalation: Move the person to fresh air
Eye Contact: Immediately flush eyes with water for 15 minutes
Notes to Physician: None

T.G
07-12-2010, 12:10 PM
From the MSDS:

Where can this MSDS be downloaded from?

I can't find it anywhere on the website.

Thanks.

doctorcue
07-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Never had an issue with Heartfelt beads. Never used Shilalas.

Ultimately seems like both products work and the differences are minor.

Goldie
07-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I use Heartfeldt right now, only because they were a bit more inexpensive over Shilala. My Vino right now is sitting at 65, and only fluctuates between 64 and 66.

If I wasn't such a cheapskate, I would take Shilala beads any day, due to their low maintenance. Otherwise, I think you will find great results from both.

GreekGodX
07-12-2010, 06:20 PM
I have both. I prefer Shilala beads. Set and forget beads. Also you have the customer service support of a great guy. We have traded countless pm's and phone calls just so I can get the beads perfect :) However, I have no complaints with Heartfelt. Spray 'em down every month or so and you are good to go.

BroncoHorvath
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Never had an issue with Heartfelt beads. Never used Shilalas.

Ultimately seems like both products work and the differences are minor.

same here:tu

Barteur
07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I use both and they work great.
I prefer Shilala because its Scott and I got a very good after sale support.
I bought mine from another bro. and he Scott supported me with my questions even if I did not buy them directly from him.:tu

lbowles2
07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I was using Heartfelt beads in my Vinotemp 28 and was having trouble with keeping the humidity constant. Some of it was probably user error and not getting the beads right to begin with... actually most of it was. I switched to the Shilala beads and unless you want to change the humidity level they are preset to they are brain-dead easy. My humi has been solid at 65% since putting them in. I used 1.5 lbs in my Vinotemp. Sure they cost more than the Heartfelt beads but for me the peace of mind and lack of maintenance makes the Shilala beads a no brainer.

Brad
07-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I like Shilala beads, but I use Heartfelt in my 120 quart cooler, mostly due to cost. I have 70% Heartfelt beads, but my cooler never goes abov 67%, even after they have been recharged. Holds in the 66-67% range, and I only have to recharge them about every 4-5 months in my climate.

shilala
07-12-2010, 07:39 PM
If it weren't for shilala beads, I'd use David's or Mark's. Both are standup brothers of the very highest order.
When I was considering selling away the business and struggling with the misery of making and selling beads, Mark spent a great amount of time talking to me, making suggestions, and leading me in the right direction.
That was my "competitor".
It says a whole heck of a lot about what kind of guy he is.
Viper (Dave) was very active at CS when me and the CS members were developing a couple types of beads and some salt based humidity control medias. His input was invaluable. He's the other presumed "competitor".

I've always wondered why the perceived animosity or supposed competition. It's always been right out there.
I have always had and always will have the greatest of respect for Dave and Mark. They are special men and stand up BOTL's. I hope one day I get to meet them and share a smoke.
Both of their products kick ass, as well do Michael's. You can't go wrong whatever way you go. The differences are as vast as "cc's or nc's?"

Anyone can go to Dave's, Mark's or Michael's site and get educated, then pick what's best for them. Or try all three kinds in a small volume and pick what ya like.
I guarantee that no matter what you try, all the guys selling beads will be happy for you and happy for each other.
Remember that none of these guys are Walmart. They aren't going to retire off bead profits. They do what they do because they enjoy it and can help their brothers, and they can make a few bucks in their free time to try and make ends meet.

My point is that there's no VS. between the guys with the beads. Please don't put it there.

icehog3
07-12-2010, 08:10 PM
My point is that there's no VS. between the guys with the beads. Please don't put it there.

Awesome post, Scott. :)

With that, I think all the cards are on the table, and it's time to shut the "vs" down. :)