PDA

View Full Version : Poll on posting puts in Cigar Passes

bsmokin
07-11-2010, 08:15 PM
For Passes, do people like it better when the puts are posted before being sent, or is it more interesting to have the puts be a surprise to the next on the list??

The only reason I can see to float the puts to everyone prior to sending is to get the 'ok' from the pass members that the puts are a fair match to the takes... But we are all BOTLs here, and trust is kinda key to the success of this community, is it not?? Of course, if someone wasn't sure that their puts were fair, they would be free to post the question of fairness. Otherwise I think it more interesting to not post the puts and let the surprise come in the mail to the next in line!

So, better to post puts or not??

PS Not sure if this belongs here or in the Passes section... But since this is not a pass, but only a question about passes, I figured here is better. Mods, feel free to move it if you feel it's better somewhere else.

icehog3
07-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I like seeing the posts of puts and takes. Not to judge or "approve" the puts, just because I like to see what's going in. JMHO.

markem
07-11-2010, 08:19 PM
posting puts and takes lets you see how the pass is evolving. If someone is shorting the pass, they will get found out right quick. Cigar smokers are notorious gossips about such things.

Ogre
07-11-2010, 08:20 PM
I like to see the posts. like if its a CC pass, i cant do it. Dont have any, LOL Not to that level yet

tomc3084
07-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Yes I like seeing the posts of takes and puts

chippewastud79
07-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Puts and takes are important because someone can't trade 5 Cremosas for an '84 H. Upmann. I have been a part of passes where people just don't know, or pretend they don't, the value of the cigars they are taking or how rare they are. You have to hold people accountable and trade value for value, 1 for 1. 4 bundle cigars doth not equal a Tatuaje Frank. :2

Ogre
07-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Puts and takes are important because someone can't trade 5 Cremosas for an '84 H. Upmann. I have been a part of passes where people just don't know, or pretend they don't, the value of the cigars they are taking or how rare they are. You have to hold people accountable and trade value for value, 1 for 1. 4 bundle cigars doth not equal a Tatuaje Frank. :2

Dang, there goes my next trade.:r:r:r

bsmokin
07-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Yikes! I was afraid I wasn't making sense! What I was suggesting is this...

Don't post the puts before sending them... let them be as surprise! BUT, require the recipients to post all the cigars they received. So, the puts would be known then, after receipt, so the element of the surprise is still there... which for me would be part of the fun.

The only caveat would be that a note would be required with the puts to make it clear to the receiver exactly what was put/added by the sender, so the receiver could clearly post this for all to see.

Make more sense now?

Thoughts?!

icehog3
07-11-2010, 09:13 PM
I understood what you were saying the first time.....I like it the way it is. :2

Ogre
07-11-2010, 09:16 PM
I understood what you were saying the first time.....I like it the way it is. :2

:tpd:

waffle
07-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Whats this "pass" you're talking about... us n00bs haven't seen these threads yet ;)

chippewastud79
07-11-2010, 09:22 PM
So if the puts don't equal the takes, is the recipient expected to send the box back to the previous participant to fix it? :hm

chippewastud79
07-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Whats this "pass" you're talking about... us n00bs haven't seen these threads yet ;)

Patience grasshopper. :tu

bsmokin
07-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Alright... fair enough.

Based on this I will update the rules of my current pass, if all those already on the list are down with the change, to require the puts be posted BEFORE being sent out.

Thanks for the input guys! :tu

Ogre
07-11-2010, 09:25 PM

It will come to those who are patient. It is a fun way to try new things.

bsmokin
07-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I guess I was assuming people would just know. I guess this is not a safe assumption... I'm going to update my pass now and change the rules accordingly to reflect this newfound wisdom.

Thanks!

So if the puts don't equal the takes, is the recipient expected to send the box back to the previous participant to fix it? :hm

waffle
07-11-2010, 09:28 PM
It will come to those who are patient. It is a fun way to try new things.

Oh I know, I thought a little ribbing was appropriate and fun... I'm in no rush, I'm still trying to build a good collection anyway!

chippewastud79
07-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I guess I was assuming people would just know. I guess this is not a safe assumption... I'm going to update my pass now and change the rules accordingly to reflect this newfound wisdom.

Thanks!

Can be OK sometimes but sometimes its ignorance, sometimes its people trying to cheat the pass, sometimes its people trying to trade 3 everyday sticks to swipe a cigar that hasn't been available in 5 years. Its just easier to make sure that the trades match up before they get sent out. :2

Dunkel
07-12-2010, 03:49 AM
If you're running the pass then it's your rules. I like for it to be a surprise. Of course, my passes only have the others throwing in a little something for me and taking from what I sent. That way everyone gets the same thing and what I get back is a mystery until the pass is over.