PDA

View Full Version : oliva V maduro torpedo

Legend
11-04-2008, 07:46 PM
I was anticipating this bad boy. Being a fan of the V regular. Not as huge as some but a fan. This was gifted to me by Kevin(he truly has a generous heart and has gifted many of my reviews, plus when someone gifts one you feel compelled to let them know what you thought and what better way than a review)

Prelight. Draw seems a little tight having thoughts of dry boxing but I'm impatient for this guy. Hope it doesn't bite me in the butt. Smells nice. Rich and woody. Doesn't really look much darker than a regular. Torpedo size. Drinking with an IPA. (maduros and IPAs really love each other)

First impressions.

Draw is fine (whew) initial smoke is tasty and rich. Very similar to what I remember the regular V being. I think if have to side by side these to get the nuances. It does have a little more power and a touch of spice that I don't remember in the V.

First third. Draw started to tighten up on the V cut so I clipped it with a guillotine and it opened up tremendously. Power increasing. But lacks some of the smoothness of the V regular still a dang nice stick.

Middle.

Has that nicaraguan pop I love in nicaraguan tobacco. Ligureo spice picking up. A little tough through the nose now. A quick purge fixed that and brought some of the richness back.

Finish.

The spice returned without the harshness and loss of richness. I really like the way it is finishing. Slight drop in power but still very rich.
Legend rating 3.5. Solid smoke.

Cigary
11-04-2008, 08:15 PM
This is like the 4th review of this cigar that I have read,,,I want one!!

Negncic
11-04-2008, 09:29 PM
If you want one then order one.

http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/oliva_serie_v.htm

I did. Multiple times. Giggity Giggity:dr

Scottw
11-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I like the review. I thought this for sure would be a 4 on the Legend scale from what I have read about it. At least you added the .5 though.What kind of IPA was it?

Savor the Stick
11-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Boy Shawn,
You are insatiable!

I give you a cigar and less than 3 hours later it's smoked!

Wow. :r:r:r:r:r

Glad you enjoyed it. :tu Still havn't smoked mine!:salute:

dunng
11-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Very good stick, I can't wait to try them after they rest a bit... :ss

Legend
11-05-2008, 08:04 AM
I like the review. I thought this for sure would be a 4 on the Legend scale from what I have read about it. At least you added the .5 though.What kind of IPA was it?

Remember a 4 is a top 25 stick. That's a tough nut to crack.

It was Metolius Dolly Varden IPA. Was actually my first time trying it. It was pretty good and on sale.

My favorite IPAs are stone. Hop-ottin. And Firestone hop31 (technically a California pale ale)

Double IPA. Oggi's hop juice. Ruination. Hop15 (left coast )

Legend
11-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Boy Shawn,
You are insatiable!

I give you a cigar and less than 3 hours later it's smoked!

Wow. :r:r:r:r:r

And!!??!

He he he.

Love me my stogies

Savor the Stick
11-05-2008, 08:22 AM
:D:r:D:r

groogs
11-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Good review. I am smoking one right now, and I think you are right on.

Legend
11-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Good review. I am smoking one right now, and I think you are right on.

Good to see a botl with good taste (mine) he he he he.

WyoBob
12-09-2008, 03:27 PM

I didn't see the Oliva V Maduro torp (6.5 x 50) on that site.

I just lit one up. I'm 1/2" into the cigar and hoping things get better. A lot better.:confused:

WyoBob

WyoBob
12-10-2008, 06:54 AM
Of the Oliva's I've smoked, the V maduro torp was the worst. From my notes: Rough, veined wrapper, 1st 1/4-bitter, end gave off acrid smoke, ammonian smell, got better after 5", even better with 3" left, went out several times. Lots of touch-ups.

The best Oliva I've smoked was a couple of serie G. From my notes: nutty/poor const. of head & soft/fell apart. repairs/damaged wrapper

The Serie O: too many touch ups, at 3" flavor picked up, had to puff alot
not worth the effort.

I guess I wasn't meant to smoke Oliva's. I do shop "specials". Maybe I'm getting seconds but the construction on everyone I've smoked has been fair/poor. I've had dollar cigars that were better smokes.

WyoBob

Pat1075
12-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Great review, I'm a big fan of these.

Stogieboy
12-10-2008, 11:07 AM

I did not find the "V" maduro's on their site either. Where are folks buying these?

Rabidsquirrel
12-10-2008, 05:28 PM
They're pretty much gone now. I bought my singles from folks here, and I bought a box from CI when the had them (not for very long).

maddman
12-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Will have to give this one a try

Rabidsquirrel
12-14-2008, 07:42 AM
For those looking: http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=654394

Vitis
12-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Ouch, they're already at twice the release price. :eek:

Stogieboy
12-17-2008, 01:07 PM
5 pack went for $73.00 :r