PDA

View Full Version : Yogurt

Volt
07-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Ok, I can't believe people actually eat bacterial (http://www.cigarasylum.com/wiki/Bacteria) fermentation (http://www.cigarasylum.com/wiki/Fermentation_(food)) of milk (http://www.cigarasylum.com/wiki/Milk) - more commonaly called yogurt. The Doc says I have to eat a bunch of this crap. The Dannon I had today was not ment for human consumption. Anyone know of a brand that hides the taste any better?

DPD6030
07-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Plain or flavored?

Yoplait is good IMO. Sometimes I buy the plain and fresh fruit and granola and mix it up.

bscottskangum
07-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Sometimes I buy the plain and fresh fruit and granola and mix it up.

:tpd:

Granola makes yogurt palatable.

E-Tx Surveyor
07-08-2010, 08:15 PM
I eat strawberry and banana Yoplait quite often, I like it. The plain stuff with vanilla granola from the local health food store is good too.

T.G
07-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Generally, I tend to avoid the "big brands" since I don't really care for the way they taste.

I also don't really care much for fruit flavored yougurt. I'd rather have plain yougurt and fresh fruit.

-Pavel's low fat Russian Plain yougurt is a great plain yougurt, tangy, creamy, full of body.
-Continenal low fat plain used to be good, but I haven't had it in years.
-Crystal Dairy brand non-fat plain is also very good, but lacks the body of Pavel's. Not sure if you'll be able to find it outside of California though.
-Alta-Dena dairy makes excellent products.
-Voskos, which is a newer brand/line of greek styled yougurts, is suprisingly good in the non-fat. Their regular yogurt is scandalously rich, too rich in fact. It's like it was made with creamtop milk and it's hard to finish a cup of it.

If you're into fruit yogurt, I would say check out Cascade if you can find it. They don't use refined sugars, nor do they use artificial sweetners, instead, they use fruit juice concentrate as a sweetening agent. I'm not really into fruit yogurt, but their stuff is good.

kelmac07
07-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Activa is ok...plus it's good for you!! :tu

Volt
07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I'll try a few of those out. The more the flavor the less of the yogurt I have to taste.

Chainsaw13
07-08-2010, 09:10 PM
I like Stoneyfield Organic Blueberry yogurt. No artificial crap but does have some sugars in it. Like the others, I mix some granola in. Makes it more filling to me than just the yogurt alone.

SeanGAR
07-08-2010, 09:17 PM
You can get the good bacteria in other places than yogurt. I know there are pro biotic pills in my local natural food store .. you might tolerate a pill better than yogurt. I happen to love yogurt ... but I'm kinda strange to begin with so ....

madwilliamflint
07-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes. After trying a bunch, I finally found one that didn't taste like caulk. (don't ask.)

Stonyfield Farms "cream top".

Yeah, it's the extra-fatass version. But it's got actual real live flavor.

I hate to say it but I actually go out of my way to eat it now.

Give it a shot.

RGD.
07-08-2010, 09:25 PM
. . . The Doc says I have to eat a bunch of this crap. . . .

No you don't. I'm guessing the reason is that you need to rebuild the bacteria in your digestive system. My doctor told me the same thing after I was on antibiotics that pretty much destroyed everything.

I told him flatly that I was not going to eat rotted milk - period. No problem he said, just pick up some "Pro-Biotics Acidophilus" at the drug store. He had me take two in the morning and two in the evening.

Check on that and forget about that nasty crap.

Ron

Sean posted before me - "Pro-Biotics Acidophilus" - take as I posted until things come out normal - :D

markem
07-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Everyone love Yogurt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvmZ9SPcTzU

icehog3
07-08-2010, 09:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIr6v5LYPdc

kzm007
07-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Yes. After trying a bunch, I finally found one that didn't taste like caulk. (don't ask.)

Oh, but now I must :r!

Volt
07-09-2010, 03:14 AM
You can get the good bacteria in other places than yogurt. I know there are pro biotic pills in my local natural food store .. you might tolerate a pill better than yogurt. I happen to love yogurt ... but I'm kinda strange to begin with so ....

Yep, I have the pills as well. She wants a lot of bacteria in me..... I told her I would dble up on the pills but it was a no go.

RGD. - Yep, I'm hitting some pretty powerful antibiotics. The first round the pills were fine, this round she wants more in me. I'll try the Stonyfield Farms next. It aint like I'm gonna eat this **** more than I have to anyway, the calories don't matter. Even the trash stinks when I open it now. I may need to get a biohazard for the waste packaging each night.

TheTraveler
07-09-2010, 04:56 AM
As a major fan of cheese and a hater of yogurt I have to ask ..... can you get the needed bacteria from cheese? If so you could increase your intake of the good stuff, big chunks of blue-veined cheeses, some creamy brie or camembert, etc.

skullnrose
07-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Try Choboni 2% doesn't come in to many varieties but the pineapple is the only yogurt I could stomach alone and I tried them all.

http://www.chobani.com/products/c/lowfat

timj219
07-09-2010, 06:12 AM
My wife and I eat Stonyfield plain mixed with honey or fruit. Nuts or sunflower seeds are good too. Or crumbled rice cakes. I love the stuff.

PeteSB75
07-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Chobani or Fage are both very good, and worlds better than that dannon crap. I generally eat the 0% plain, with some granola or grape nuts and strawberries or blueberries. Sometimes I get crazy and put a little honey in too.

The other thing I would check out is goat's milk. I've gotten it at the natural food store in the past, and it is sold with live cultures in it, similar to what is in yogurt. Bit pricey, but tastes good.

T.G
07-09-2010, 07:23 AM
As a major fan of cheese and a hater of yogurt I have to ask ..... can you get the needed bacteria from cheese? If so you could increase your intake of the good stuff, big chunks of blue-veined cheeses, some creamy brie or camembert, etc.

No. Yogurt is yogurt because of lactobacillus, a bacteria. Cheese is fresh milk curdled with an acid, then for the ripened cheeses (blue, brie, camerbert, etc) it is exposed to mold spores which are then allowed to colonize and grow.

Not sure where yogurt cheeses fit into the picture though.

mosesbotbol
07-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Chobani or Fage are both very good, and worlds better than that dannon crap.

This is true for sure. I have been eating and/or making yogurt all my life. That being said, the best yogurt brand I have tried be far is Liberte Yogurt from Quebec. It is sold at Whole Foods among other places. So rich and creamy, it makes Chobani or Fage taste like Dannon. The flavors are all sublime. Flavors I would never buy, I love in this brand. It is a must try for any yogurt lover.

www.liberte.qc.ca

Chainsaw13
07-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Chobani or Fage are both very good, and worlds better than that dannon crap.

Fage was one I saw mentioned a lot last night when I did a search for best yogurt brands. I"m going to have to look for that and give it a try.

BigCat
07-09-2010, 07:36 AM
I eat yogurt every day for breakfast. I can't find anything offensive about it, except for dannon light and fit, which tastes like chemicals. I actually think the best stuff I've found has been the meijer brand light yogurt. I think it has good flavor and it is lighter in sugar, which is something you have to watch out for in full strength stuff. Some regular yogurts are like drinking a can of coke in the morning.

Activia isn't bad either, but it has a lot of sugar and comes with a very small serving size - that might be right up your alley though. As for the claimed health benefits from activia, I didn't notice anything. Maybe that's why they only advertise with chicks (other than the hermi Jamie Lee Curtis)

timj219
07-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Maybe that's why they only advertise with chicks (other than the hermi Jamie Lee Curtis)http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/mslazer45/Female%20Celebrity/jamieleecurtis.jpg
I'd hit that

BlackDog
07-09-2010, 08:24 AM
What about making a fruit smoothie with yogurt in the blender? As long as the yogurt is in there for the bacteria content, you can add about anything esle you want to mask the flavor.

Volt
07-09-2010, 08:39 AM
What about making a fruit smoothie with yogurt in the blender? As long as the yogurt is in there for the bacteria content, you can add about anything esle you want to mask the flavor.

Ok, now I hear some wisdom. Mixed up with a bit of vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, this could be doable.

Volt
07-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Hmmm, as if I would share. :r

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/mslazer45/Female%20Celebrity/jamieleecurtis.jpg
I'd hit that

BigCat
07-09-2010, 08:58 AM
I'd hit that

She's the best looking dude I've ever seen :r

timj219
07-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Ok, now I hear some wisdom. Mixed up with a bit of vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, this could be doable.What about vodka and kalhua? A yogurt white russian!

ValorBali41
07-09-2010, 09:14 AM
I usually eat the Fage yogurt. It tastes really good especially when you mix in the side that comes with it. Honey is the best flavor IMO.

T.G
07-09-2010, 09:21 AM
What about vodka and kalhua? A yogurt white russian!

:r:r:r

(so much for the bacteria...)

Mr B
07-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Agreed.

This is the one we get. It is in the refridgerated section.

http://www.jarrow.com/product/228/Jarro_Dophilus_EPS

PeteSB75
07-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Agreed.

This is the one we get. It is in the refridgerated section.

http://www.jarrow.com/product/228/Jarro_Dophilus_EPS

I take the same one. Needs to be taken first thing in the morning, and at least 20 mins before you eat anything.

Chainsaw13
07-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I usually eat the Fage yogurt. It tastes really good especially when you mix in the side that comes with it. Honey is the best flavor IMO.

Dummy me, I've been buying Fage for a while. Their Greek style is great for when I'm making gyros at home.

Eleven
07-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Chobani has been mentioned a couple of times. We will never go back to the 'mainstream' yogurts after trying this.

Gonna have to check out Fage too!

+1 for Chobani!

BigFrank
07-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Try Choboni 2% doesn't come in to many varieties but the pineapple is the only yogurt I could stomach alone and I tried them all.

http://www.chobani.com/products/c/lowfat
I eat the 0% all the time. Tastes great. I usually eat 1 plain 1 blueberry as a snack. Low Fat, High Protein.

If you go with the standard yogurt, avoid that Activa crap. I tried that a few days in a row and it led to me sitting on the toilet having some "oily" issues.