PDA

View Full Version : Palio comment, Xikar question

jonumberone
07-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Now that I am sliding further down the slope, I have been paying more attention to my cuts. I wasn't happy with them, so based on what I read, I went out and picked up a Palio this morning. I'm only one cut in, but I love it already. This is based solely on how it fits in my hand, and the look(carbon fiber). One huge difference from my Xikar was how little play there was between the blades.

So to my question. Is this play normal on the Xikar? I can move the open blades about 1/16in apart with very little pressure, or bend them back and forth like wings very easily. When closed the thing is rock solid, and the screw at the bottom is tight. I suspect this is why my cuts always left a bump after removing the cap.

Side note: 3 calls to Xikar customer service went unanswered

kelmac07
07-06-2010, 04:30 PM
LOVE my Palios!!! :tu :tu

MarkinAZ
07-06-2010, 04:40 PM
LOVE my Palios!!!

I'll second that:D
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/markinca1953/JRCigars002.jpg

Ogre
07-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I have never had any problems with my Xikar. They have a life time warranty. Take it a retailer and they will swap it out with a new one.

Dunkel
07-06-2010, 04:51 PM
I want a Palio bad, I wish there was another GB coming soon. I hate paying full price for anything. LOL

ValorBali41
07-06-2010, 04:59 PM
I always notice that when I cut with my Xikar, it cuts clean but leaves a bump right in the middle, so your not alone and I also do notice the play in the handles...

MarkinAZ
07-06-2010, 05:02 PM
I want a Palio bad, I wish there was another GB coming soon. I hate paying full price for anything. LOL

:D...Have you checked Goodwill Doug?;)

jonumberone
07-06-2010, 05:20 PM
I always notice that when I cut with my Xikar, it cuts clean but leaves a bump right in the middle, so your not alone and I also do notice the play in the handles...

I am glad to hear that. No reason to send it in then.:tu

bobarian
07-06-2010, 05:48 PM
The "bump" is a common occurrence with the Xikar cutters. Main reason I gave mine away. Palio for life! :banger

Ogre
07-06-2010, 05:50 PM
:D...Have you checked Goodwill Doug?;)

Goodwill Doug????

dubnick
07-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I like my Xikar...But I LOVE my Palio

rmoreno
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
XIKAR has a lifetime warranty on all products. If your cutter is not performing to your standard and XIKAR's standard, return it for a free replacement. There should be no play between blades. If you like the feel of the Palio, XIKAR is launching a new ZX Ultra Slim cutter in August. Ultra Slim with finger holes! If you've called and exhausted all communication. Send me an email: rmoreno@xikar.com. I will handle your cutter personally. Bob

jonumberone
07-07-2010, 01:39 PM
XIKAR has a lifetime warranty on all products. If your cutter is not performing to your standard and XIKAR's standard, return it for a free replacement. There should be no play between blades. If you like the feel of the Palio, XIKAR is launching a new ZX Ultra Slim cutter in August. Ultra Slim with finger holes! If you've called and exhausted all communication. Send me an email: rmoreno@xikar.com. I will handle your cutter personally. Bob

Email sent! Will update.

e-man67
07-07-2010, 01:52 PM

My Palio does the same thing and breaks the wrapper..I hate the uneven cut..I never use the cutter b/c of this. I have only used it maybe 10 times...got it new for Christmas.

poker
07-07-2010, 02:16 PM
My Palio does the same thing and breaks the wrapper..I hate the uneven cut..I never use the cutter b/c of this. I have only used it maybe 10 times...got it new for Christmas.

Your Palio does this? :confused:

e-man67
07-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Your Palio does this? :confused:

yes and I wish it didn't...it is a purdy carbon fiber one but purdy is about it.

CueTheMusic
07-07-2010, 02:34 PM
If your Palio is breaking the wrapper on your cigars, either your cigars are way too dry, or you have a defective Palio. Contact customer support or where you got it from and get it replaced.

pnoon
07-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Or it is operator error.
:2
Posted via Mobile Device

e-man67
07-07-2010, 02:44 PM
If your Palio is breaking the wrapper on your cigars, either your cigars are way too dry, or you have a defective Palio. Contact customer support or where you got it from and get it replaced.

Nope, cigars aren't dry..cheap 50 cent cutter does a great job. My buddy's palio works fine but mine sucks.

CueTheMusic
07-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Replace it. That is what the lifetime warranty is for.

I think any authorized dealer will replace it for free:
http://www.paliocutter.com/shops.htm

Or you don't have a retailer by you, you should be able to mail it back to Palio.

e-man67
07-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I will mail it back. Thanks.

nofeardiver
07-07-2010, 03:32 PM
I have two xikars, and a new palio, i love my palio, and it is my primary cutter. It never leaves any bumps, it cuts clean.

Now that, that is said. I love the xikars, they are sharp and cut clean as well. I have never had an issue with either of them, i keep one next to my humi and one in my truck. I hope that this gets worked out for you. Good luck.

RHNewfie
07-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Correct, just mailed mine to Palio yesterday, Marc is top notch!

klipsch
07-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I has TWO Palio's... :tu

But my Xikar lighter does work better than my Blazer most of the time. Oh wait...this is a Cutter thread. :r

stevieray
07-07-2010, 04:20 PM
The "bump" that some folks are talking about when cutting with a Palio might be from not applying a gentle downward pressure towards the cigar while making a quick cut (if that makes any sense). :2

tenbaseg
07-07-2010, 04:26 PM
The bump in the middle can be left by pulling away when completing the cut. Applying a bit of pressure down on the cutter as you squeeze will help.

Xikar vs Palio....No contest. Palio all the way. Sharpest out there and a great company to support.

I lost my Xikar and don't miss it one bit. I picked up a 2nd Palio to replace it.

elderboy02
07-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Nope, cigars aren't dry..cheap 50 cent cutter does a great job. My buddy's palio works fine but mine sucks.

I will vouch for e-man. His Palio sucks. Whenever I go to his house, he uses my Palio and it works fine. I tried his Palio and it damages the cigar. He must have just received a lemon.

Eric, I am sure you will like the new one they give you. I love my Palio.

Jack1000
07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I had a bad palio a few years back--they replaced it without questions and the new one is fine.

The bump problem--in my experience anyway--is from bad form--pulling away, cutting too slow etc. I found that laying the cutter on the table and pushing the cigar down while cutting solves this and gives a nice level cut.

OLS
07-08-2010, 02:40 PM
I always pinch a plug out of a habano, and when I can't work that, I have
my other favorite, that wicked stainless Montecristo flat guillotine.
Looks great, cuts great. I used to have a couple, now I am down to my
personal one. :(

taltos
07-08-2010, 06:45 PM
The folks who said that the Xikar left a bump because of pulling away while finishing the cut are exactly right. There was a thread on this on the old board a couple of years ago. Another way to get an even cut is to cut the cigar while it is still in the cello. Don't know why this works but it does.

Jack1000
07-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Another way to get an even cut is to cut the cigar while it is still in the cello. Don't know why this works but it does.

interesting. wonder why?

mariogolbee
07-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I have never had any problems with my Xikar. They have a life time warranty. Take it a retailer and they will swap it out with a new one.

That's what I thought but I've tried it with two retailers and have been told both times to send it in.

I think the Palio is okay. It is darned purdy though. I feel that my Xikar cut better when it was still operational. I prefer the Xikar Multi-Tool scissors the best though.

rharris
07-08-2010, 11:14 PM
I just happen to like the way the xikar fits in my hand.It also just seems easier and more user friendly to me. I also had a palio and found it be an excellent cutter.It just seemed a little awkward for my big fat sausage fingers.

MarkinAZ
07-09-2010, 08:40 AM
I also had a palio and found it be an excellent cutter.It just seemed a little awkward for my big fat sausage fingers.

:D...The moral of the story is, if you have "spaghetti fingers," buy a Palio. Hot dog and sausage fingers, buy a Xikar;)

taltos
07-09-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't use the Palio because my fingers don't fit and many hellos to Mark. Missed talking to you buddy.:D

macsauce13
07-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Im kind of threadjacking but I have a Palio question and thought this might be a good place to ask. I received my first ever Palio in the group buy recently, and it is very sharp. My only 'concern' is that it feels almost "hitched". When I open and close it, it just isn't smooth. It sticks a bit. Is this normal for Palio? It seems to cut fine (which is the important part) I just wanted some other opinions!

Thanks!

TheRiddick
07-09-2010, 11:57 PM
I prefer the Xikar Multi-Tool scissors the best though.

By far the best cutter out there, IMO. Gave up on Palio back in late '90s.

scoop
07-10-2010, 06:25 AM
I bought a Palio just for this reason...so I could compare them myself. IMO the Xikar is the better cutter, the fit, feel and even just carrying it in my pocket. The Palio doesn't seem as sharp and is more bulky than the Xikar. The Palio is a good cutter don't get me wrong, but if I was in the market and needed a new cutter it would be a Xikar hands down.

thebiglebowski
07-10-2010, 09:41 AM
to the OP - i love your profile pic. lolz.

Samsquanch
07-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Just picked up my first Palio and I love it. I've been using cheap cutters for too long, this thing is great. And I do have fat sausage fingers and it works great for me.

MarkinAZ
07-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Just picked up my first Palio and I love it. I've been using cheap cutters for too long, this thing is great.

Much better than those $1.99 specials huh?:D

Samsquanch
07-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Haha, yeah a little! Now what to do with all those branded, plastic pieces...hmm...

Much better than those $1.99 specials huh?:D

pnoon
07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Haha, yeah a little! Now what to do with all those branded, plastic pieces...hmm...

Glove compartment. Other places you might need one in a pinch. For the troops.

Samsquanch
07-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Glove box is taken care of, who would I send them to so they made it to the troops?

bobarian
07-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Hotreds is your man! Any extra accessories are always appreciated. I try to include some in every package I send over. Also, if you have any extra pillows those are always needed. :tu

jonumberone
07-19-2010, 04:45 PM

Well I emailed bob and sent the cutter out to them. Delivery conformation showed they received it on last Thursday.
I came home today and there was a brand new Xikar waiting for me.
Upon inspecting the new one, the blades are far more rigid than the one i sent back. even when closed there is a stability that was absent in the one I returned. I thought that one was solid, I was wrong.
Now having used the Palio more, and being without the only other cutter I ever owned, I can honestly say I missed my Xikar.
As a person who does most of his smoking at work, bringing smokes back and forth almost daily. The Palio Just doesn't match the Xikar's portability.
I still love my Palio, But will be happy to work my 19hr shifts with the Xikar in my pocket.
First cuts tomorrow. Kudos to Bob for handling this so quickly for me.

Eleven
07-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I looked at the Xikar Multi-Tool today and I think I'm going to pick those up!

Finally found me a hygrometer that I can calibrate too, its Xikar :)

Eleven
07-26-2010, 10:36 PM
I looked at the Xikar Multi-Tool today and I think I'm going to pick those up!

Finally found me a hygrometer that I can calibrate too, its Xikar :)

Got the Multi-Tool, took the hygrometer back.

I played around with the Palio and Xikar today before deciding on the Xikar. The Palios blades did seem tight, but there was play between the 2 sides, when closed and opened.

The Multi-Tool was only 4 bucks more and the scissors were tight, and of course it has all the added functions.

lbowles2
07-29-2010, 02:36 PM
I love my Palio (camo model) and probably will never need another cutter. Somehow I got a nic in the blade on my first one but my B&M replaced it no questions asked. I know Xikar has the same waranty and is a pretty local company to me but I just like the Palio better. I think I like the traditional slide style better than the butterfly.

Eleven
07-29-2010, 03:40 PM
lol Multitool!

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8189/004rk.jpg

jonumberone
07-29-2010, 03:57 PM
^^Just TOOL. ;) :r