PDA

View Full Version : Oh Gurkha...you're hilarious

tuxpuff
07-01-2010, 11:43 AM
"Gurkha Cigar Brand Steps Up as Leader in Luxury Segment"

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/gurkha-cigar-brand-steps-up-as-leader-in-luxury-segment-97587729.html

Some excerpts...

'If you thought that the Cubans are leading the world in brand identity with cigars, think again. Right now, the number one buzzword in the cigar industry is Gurkha.'

'What they are selling is an exclusive experience, when you see a Gurkha band on a cigar you know that smoker is serious'

'You smoke a Gurkha when you are looking for a guaranteed positive experience and you know your tobacco," as he puffed away on an 'Evil.' "Yes, it has become a status symbol to be seen smoking the Gurkha name, but that is not why I smoke them; I love knowing I can have a luxury that many cannot."'

elderboy02
07-01-2010, 11:43 AM
:r

Darrell
07-01-2010, 11:48 AM
"I love knowing I can have a luxury that many cannot."'

That luxury must be not realizing he is an idiot. :r

chippewastud79
07-01-2010, 11:50 AM
That luxury must be not realizing he is an idiot. :r

Ignorance is bliss :tu

groogs
07-01-2010, 11:54 AM
That is marketing at its best... As long as you have never smoked one.:pu

Pass
07-01-2010, 11:58 AM
"Status symbol" "$150,000 a box"? Oi vai! This makes me think of idiots who judge something solely based on a price tag.

Granted... There are several Gurkhas that I have tried and enjoyed (yeah, I know, I'm pretty much the only one) but they are FAR from Luxury Ultra-Premium Hoi Polloi sticks. Talk about advertising-malfeasance. Don't get me wrong, they have several good cigars... but not all of them are that great and most are NOT worth the price tag. They also aren't that "rare" and "exclusive."

....and I won't even address the consistency statement. Unless by consistent they mean consistently inconsistent.

kelmac07
07-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah right!! :r :r :r

Superbad
07-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Gurkha= dirt flavor bitters to my palate. Will not buy another one again.

Lear31MX
07-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Now that is funny:r

Darrell
07-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Remember when the cat got fried in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation?

Gurkha's taste like that cat looked.

AlohaStyle
07-01-2010, 12:08 PM
The last sentence says it all:

SOURCE Gurkha Cigars

HK3-
07-01-2010, 12:09 PM
"Gurkha Cigar Brand Steps Up as Leader in Luxury Segment"

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/gurkha-cigar-brand-steps-up-as-leader-in-luxury-segment-97587729.html

Some excerpts...

'If you thought that the Cubans are leading the world in brand identity with cigars, think again. Right now, the number one buzzword in the cigar industry is Gurkha.'

'What they are selling is an exclusive experience, when you see a Gurkha band on a cigar you know that smoker is a serious idiot'

'You smoke a Gurkha when you are looking for a guaranteed positive experience and you know your tobacco," as he puffed away on an 'Evil.' "Yes, it has become a status symbol to be seen smoking the Gurkha name, but that is not why I smoke them; I love knowing I can have a luxury that many cannot."'

Fixed it for you. ;)

Pass
07-01-2010, 12:11 PM
The Centurian Perfecto's are pretty decent and I recall really liking the Nepalese Warrior (granted I WAS drinking heavily at the time)... I've got a couple of Empire VI's sitting in the humidor. I also enjoyed their Tins way back when.

All over-priced (unless you can get them for a steal - the only way I buy them)... but I wouldn't say that they are ALL garbage. The company... maybe. But there are some good sticks in there.

marge796
07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Really???

Gurkha, you're soooooo funny!

:pu

Chris.....

Darrell
07-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Fixed it for you. ;)

Nice spelling of idiot, Hal. :r

Brutus2600
07-01-2010, 12:17 PM

SOURCE Gurkha Cigars

Lol, that's how you know it's unbiased reporting!

Personally I have a few Gurkha's in my stock because a) I got them for a crazy good deal (cheaper than most 2nds) b) they had a couple of years of age on them so they've mellowed out some and c) because of a & b, they make great yardgars :D

HK3-
07-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Nice spelling of idiot, Hal. :r

:r;s Type first, read later.

VirtualSmitty
07-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks, that read just made my day :tu:r

CigarNut
07-01-2010, 12:20 PM
While I don't hate Ghurkas -- they're OK. Not what I would consider when I want a great NC...

Blueface
07-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Man this made me laugh.

I love the opening line:
If you thought that the Cubans are leading the world in brand identity with cigars, think again. Right now, the number one buzzword in the cigar industry is Gurkha.

I feel like crap. I don't have a single one.:r

BigCat
07-01-2010, 12:25 PM

It may be time for a bombing run :D

replicant_argent
07-01-2010, 12:35 PM
When you are dealing with subjective tastes, Gentlemen, you may claim whatever you want. Capitalism is, after all, an enviable thing, when done with passion. If your marketing works? Gosh, they must have some people that don't think they suck, or for whom it simply doesn't matter. Hell, I am not a fan of Kia, but they sure seem to sell a ton of them.

I do think it is prudent to "smoke what you like, like what you smoke" and remember that we should all treat each other as brothers, no matter our tastes in cigars. I gifted many a Gurkha when I bought them as a newbie, and I gifted them with good intentions as a Brother of the Leaf, and I thought they were the best I had. I sent/gave them to people I respected when I started on this journey of cigars. I still have one of the tin signs with the red/black Gurkha and his kukri in my office not only because it looks nice, but even though I no longer purchase them, to remind me of where I once was, and many others may be in this hobby. I would like to find some other artwork to reflect where I am today as well. I am just not sure if they make any that says "Palate of a Goat" in beautiful artistic terms incorporating Partagas, LGC, Monte, etc...

Oh, and BTW.... I can correct that for you, Carlos. :fu2 ;)

TheStatsGuy
07-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Great now I'm going to smoke a real cigar to make my eyes stop bleeding after reading that. Suddenly I'm craving a white owl.

shilala
07-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Anyone remember the good old days when we sent all the Gurkhas to Vinnie? :r

warren G.
07-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Lol that is funny... I never tried a Gurkha before.

T.G
07-01-2010, 12:54 PM
But Gurkha's are the Rolls Royce of cigars!

:r:r:r:r

icantbejon
07-01-2010, 12:54 PM

SOURCE Gurkha Cigars

I was just about to quote that myself. How is Gurkha going to quote itself for it's PR article. That's horrible.

Subvet642
07-01-2010, 12:57 PM
But Gurkha's are the Rolls Royce of cigars!

:r:r:r:r

Do you mean to say they're like huffing on a tailpipe?

T.G
07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Do you mean to say they're like huffing on a tailpipe?

Yeah, pretty much.

icehog3
07-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Gurkhas were the highlight of Shack Herf IV's Punishment-Puff-Puff-Pass... that should say it all. ;)

Old Sailor
07-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Man this made me laugh.

I love the opening line:
If you thought that the Cubans are leading the world in brand identity with cigars, think again. Right now, the number one buzzword in the cigar industry is Gurkha.

Carlos, if you have a dog, just follow it around and sooner or later you'll have a Gurkha!!! :r

GKitty
07-01-2010, 01:55 PM
I was on my Facebook just a lil while ago and the page suggester says that 19 of my friends are fans of Ghurkas. 19?!? Y'all need to stop liking things just because they have to do with cigars. :tg

I was recently watching the season finale of Saving Grace and the title character was smoking a Ghurka. Don't know which one, but I recognized the guy on the band immediately.

I've smoked one. I didn't like it. I don't care to explore the line at this time.

Even if their blendmasters haven't figured out how to appeal to the masses, their marketing department is making Ghurka a highly visible and widely recognized brand. Good for them... and for the people who like what they do.

poker
07-01-2010, 01:59 PM

I can arrange to have that changed for you with the help of some 420 Asylum members. :r

68TriShield
07-01-2010, 02:05 PM
There are plenty of Gurkha smokers here and I always say,"smoke what you like.

But that ad is a bit much.

pnoon
07-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Gurkhas don't have the "sweet spot" that only Nubs have. :rolleyes:
Posted via Mobile Device

e-man67
07-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Gurkhas don't have the "sweet spot" that only Nubs have. :rolleyes:
Posted via Mobile Device

We need a Gurkha Nub...best of both worlds!

hotreds
07-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Right now, the number one buzzword in the cigar industry is Gurkha.

Which cigar indusrty, I wonder......

e-man67
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM

The one located in HELL! :r

BFallehy
07-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I was really loving this article and thread, then I realized it wasn't in the Jokes section. ;s

Bax
07-01-2010, 03:32 PM
...and they're launching several NEW lines! I guess the 612 lines they currently have aren't quite enough, but if Jackie Chan asks for them by name then I'm sold:D

Salvelinus
07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
"Yes, it has become a status symbol to be seen smoking the Gurkha name, but that is not why I smoke them; I love knowing I can have a luxury that many cannot."'

Does this statement make sense to anyone? I don't smoke them because they are a status symbol, I smoke them because I like having a luxury others cannot. Seems like the definition of status symbol to me. Now lets get back to defining what that status is:D

DPD6030
07-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Legend, is that you? :r

Pass
07-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Well... It does seem to be quite the buzzword.

....But in their case, it doesn't seem to be a good thing lol!

Smokin Gator
07-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Too funny...:r:r

forgop
07-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Gurkha makes some very ok cigars, but they might seriously be respected by cigar smokers as a sub-$5 cigar rather than marketing themselves as a super premium cigar.

Mr B
07-01-2010, 04:56 PM

:r :r :r

hotreds
07-01-2010, 05:20 PM

No, it's Driftking, actually.

DPD6030
07-01-2010, 05:46 PM
No, it's Driftking, actually.

:=:

GKitty
07-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Holy schnikes!! Has Bobby checked himself out of the asylum?!?! I knew something was missing. How have we gotten this far into a Ghurka thread without an appearance by their #1 fan?

Perhaps he's busy signing copies of this article, which he probably co-authored. :tu

icehog3
07-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Holy schnikes!! Has Bobby checked himself out of the asylum?!?! I knew something was missing. How have we gotten this far into a Ghurka thread without an appearance by their #1 fan?

Perhaps he's busy signing copies of this article, which he probably co-authored. :tu

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/doh-1.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/wiggity_bang_logo.gif

dyieldin
07-01-2010, 07:23 PM
I smelled a Gurkha once and it reminded me of the perfume counter at Penneys, I gave it back to the guy.

Every time I hear 'Gurkha' I think of a pickle, not a cigar. Who would want to smoke a pickle? Wait, that's a 'Gherkin'! Ya know, I think the guy next door likes to smoke a pickle every now and then. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

ChicagoWhiteSox
07-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Gurkha sucks:xxx

maninblack
07-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Gurkha's are bad? Now you guys tell me. After buying 10 boxes from cbid.

Chingas
07-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Oh man this sucks. See, I'm torn. I can't stand when companies do stupid **** like this. There are some Gurkhas I like. And like a lot. I don't agree with the pricing. $30 for a beauty is out of hand but it's a damn good smoke in my eyes. $10 is more reasonable. I can't stick up for a company with marketing like that but I like some of their smokes.

See why I'm torn. Oh well. Now I'm gonna feel weird smoking a Gurkha. Good thing I always remove my bands before I smoke. I hate having any kind of status related to my smoke. I just want to relax and have a good smoke, weather it's a $2 Everyday Joe or a $30 Sublime 04.

Can't win these days anymore.

ValorBali41
07-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Ghurka cigars: For the person who likes to smoke a diesel truck's tailpipe, and brag just to give an impression that they like to show off price tags.

A real cigar enthusiast would know that it doesn't matter as to what your smoking that makes you a "real cigar enthusiast" as Hansoita likes to say.

Blind taste test a Ghurka vs. any other reputable cigar, lets see what happens :su

Goldie
07-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Is today April Fool's?

No?!?!?! Oh, this was for real? Hmmmm....

thebiglebowski
07-02-2010, 12:57 PM

shh! be quiet, man...

love this:

You'll see the likes of Michael Jordan and Alex Rodriguez as Gurkha customers.

don't know about a-rod, but jordan ought to sue for libel.

Ogre
07-02-2010, 01:05 PM
For me, its a 50/50 shot of a Gurkha being any good. The only one so far that has been consistent for is is the Ancient Warrior. I have smoked 4 of these and all have been good. I picked up a box at a decent price. This is Gurkha last chance with me. If this box turds out I am done with them.

Subvet642
07-02-2010, 01:19 PM
shh! be quiet, man...

love this:

You'll see the likes of Michael Jordan and Alex Rodriguez as Gurkha customers.

don't know about a-rod, but jordan ought to sue for libel.

A-Rod can't sue; he's a purse slappin' douch and probably does smoke them. :mh
(Apologies to the Yankees fans)

Pass
07-02-2010, 01:32 PM
For me, its a 50/50 shot of a Gurkha being any good. The only one so far that has been consistent for is is the Ancient Warrior. I have smoked 4 of these and all have been good. I picked up a box at a decent price. This is Gurkha last chance with me. If this box turds out I am done with them.

Yeah... There is a HUGE consistency issue with Gurkha. I've smoked 3 Centurian Perfectos - 2 were good and 1 was utter crap, and by crap I mean it was literally like smoking garbage. I still have 2 more and I'm letting them sit to see about the difference.

I smoked an "evil" and barely forced myself to the half-way spot... But then smoked a Nepalese Warrior and nubbed it. I also smoked an Empire III one day and liked it, then smoked a second the next and tossed it not long after lighting.

When it comes to Gurkha, I'll give 'em a shot, but I will NOT pay MSRP for ANY of their sticks... They're just not worth it.

Brutus2600
07-02-2010, 01:51 PM
When it comes to Gurkha, I'll give 'em a shot, but I will NOT pay MSRP for ANY of their sticks... They're just not worth it.

I agree with this statement 100% :tu

Chingas
07-03-2010, 04:58 AM
Funny, after this thread came out I had two of the worst Gurkhas in my history. A Centurian that was nothing like the one I had a few months back and a Warlord that just fell apart and smoked like crap. Never had that problem before either.

Thanks thread...you ruined my smokes.

Pass
07-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Funny, after this thread came out I had two of the worst Gurkhas in my history. A Centurian that was nothing like the one I had a few months back and a Warlord that just fell apart and smoked like crap. Never had that problem before either.

Gotta love their consistency! lol.

icehog3
07-03-2010, 07:44 AM

No....we freed your mind. ;) :r

thebiglebowski
07-03-2010, 08:03 AM
free your mind... and your ass will surely follow.

Chingas
07-03-2010, 10:00 AM
That's what the brotherhood is for... Thanks for looking out.

E-Tx Surveyor
07-03-2010, 02:12 PM
I've smoked a few Gurkha's and have enjoyed only one or two I smoked, I can't recall which ones I would have to look at my notes.

For some reason, as a new smoker, I keep wanting to go back to them. To me, that means their marketing is working.

jsnake
07-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I guess I might be alone on this one. Gurkha is my favorite brand and accounts for 90% of my sticks. Haven't had a bad one yet. I do not and will not pay MSRP on them but I do jump on every good deal I can find.

Everytime I visit a B&M the Gurkha Cigars are in heavy rotation since they sell so well. Maybe some of you guys are closet smoking Gurkha fans and scared to admit it.

Bax
07-06-2010, 12:17 PM
I guess I might be alone on this one. Gurkha is my favorite brand and accounts for 90% of my sticks. Haven't had a bad one yet. I do not and will not pay MSRP on them but I do jump on every good deal I can find.

Everytime I visit a B&M the Gurkha Cigars are in heavy rotation since they sell so well. Maybe some of you guys are closet smoking Gurkha fans and scared to admit it.

I had quite a few Gurk's I enjoyed then just had a terrible run where everyone was worse than the last. After about a dozen truly awful smokes I've given up on them... CAO, Gurkha and Rocky Patel are all on my Shnit list.

icehog3
07-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Maybe some of you guys are closet smoking Gurkha fans and scared to admit it.

Wanna bet? :r

markem
07-06-2010, 01:23 PM

Tom only smokes fake Gurkhas :tu

wayner123
07-06-2010, 01:30 PM

:tpd:

And I have the blind taste test reviews to prove it!!

Ogre
07-06-2010, 01:42 PM
:tpd:X2

whodeeni
07-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Ummm Larry, I don't know about you but to me that's kind of SCARY!!!:r:r

free your mind... and your ass will surely follow.

Chingas
07-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks Excel. I wasn't really sure how to interpret that one. Definitely scary tho...