PDA

View Full Version : What Cigar to start off with ???

PIPS
06-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Hey All !!
As a hookah/shisha smoker which I smoke every now and again, the last few months, I’ve been curious to lighting up a cigar and seeing if I’d enjoy it or not it.

As I have absolutely have no idea where to start, I wanted to ask you guys to see if a cigar that is semi sweet and that has a creamy taste even exists ?? I’ve read that there are “spicy” cigars but as of now, it just seems like turn off and something that I probably won’t end up enjoying (mabey its the indian in me lol).

Any other recommendations are also welcome...

druturn
06-26-2010, 01:41 AM
I know I will get flak for this, but nearly all of us have to admit that we did at one point try them. I would recommend (because you are a hookah smoker) starting off with something in the Acid line. I know, I know, fellow cigar smokers. I know. To many this is not a "real" cigar. But for your case it may be what you are looking for in flavor profile to get you started. Once you try a few of those, let the veteran members here give you suggestions for a mild and creamy smoke. Or you could start with a Macanudo of some kind.(again I know, not the best, but it has gotten several of my friends into serious cigar smoking). Regardless of what you pick, you have to start somewhere! I am not good with mild creamy smoke suggestions because I mainly smoke HEAVY and spicy cigars. Happy smoking, I hope you fall down the slope of cigar smoking as quickly as I did! -(P

Adriftpanda
06-26-2010, 05:02 AM
When you say, "semi-sweet," do you mean like the semi-sweet you get from a hookah?

I have a close friend that smokes hookah almost every night, but once in a while he enjoys a cigar too, CAO Moontrance (their most popular). CAO makes a wide variety of flavored infuse cigars. Give that a try if you want to try a flavored stick.

Another recommendation that I think you might want to try that's NOT flavored, go with a Arturo Fuente 858 Natural, very good beginner smoke.

shilala
06-26-2010, 06:27 AM
CAO Cherry Bombs, like Huy mentioned, are sweet and creamy. All the CAO tubos are good. All the rest of the sizes are poop. They taste like burning tire a half an inch in.
The tubos are a nice short smoke and hold up all the way through. :tu

JJG
06-26-2010, 07:56 AM
for non-flavored cigars, I'd recommend a Fuente Don Carlos or Padron 3000 maduro. Both are pretty sweet and flavorful yet still mild.

Chinogobraap
06-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Whenever someone I meet wants to try a cigar for the first time I usually give them a Montecristo #1 or a Romeo Julietta Bully. In my opinion these cigars aren't too heavy which is usually what turns off most people to cigars and the flavors are easy to identify. Just my opinion...

Whats palatable to one might induce vomiting in another but those two cigars usually get a pretty good reception from new comers.

I noticed your in the bay area, I was up in Sacramento a year or two ago and my buddy took me to Tower Cigar and Pipe. I wanted to try something new so I described what I smoke, what I'd like to possibly try and the dude gave me a few decent suggestions. They all seemed really nice and knowledgeable there.

Good Luck

68TriShield
06-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Macanudo Gold I'd say if you want non flavored.
Mild and somewhat sweet.

hockeymaniac
06-26-2010, 09:19 AM
If you can find them a Nick's Sticks Connecticut is a good one to start with. Mild and a nice nutty semi sweet flavor. Inexpensive so if you don't like it your not out a bunch of money.

smokin5
06-26-2010, 10:12 PM
I'ds start with something milder, like a 5 Vegas Gold or an El Rey del Mundo Natural. Many cigars are far stronger than the hookah variety of tobacco.