PDA

View Full Version : Punch cutter + big ring = tunneling?

Dunkel
06-21-2010, 04:29 PM
I always use a punch cutter on smaller ring cigars (48 ring and under) and have always had good results. When I've used a punch on bigger ring cigars about half the time they tunnel and go out. I don't have this problem with the same cigars when I use a guillotine. Anyone else notice this happening to them?

Ogre
06-21-2010, 04:35 PM
No Doug, I think it just you. Actually I can say that I have had this problem. Lets see if anyone else does. Perhaps you are not using big enough of a punch!!!!

maninblack
06-21-2010, 05:39 PM
I've never had this problem. I use a Xikar punch and most of my cigars are 50 and up.

Emjaysmash
06-21-2010, 06:06 PM
When I have a cigar 56+ rg I usually use the punch and make a clover sort of shape on the top of it. I do find that only on hole in the center of a 56+ maes for less smoke, but I never noticed any tunneling.

Snake Hips
06-22-2010, 02:01 AM
By principle, I always use a punch, and by principle, I never buy anything larger than 50rg. When I do end up with something as huge as a 52 by lack of choice, I punch it more than once (5 times, to be exact, in a 'cross' shape). Thus, I've never encountered this, but I think I'm disqualified I guess.

Don Fernando
06-22-2010, 03:37 AM
Never had this problem, and I always punch bigger RG cigars.

Gophernut
06-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Never had this problem, and I always punch bigger RG cigars.:xxx
Never had a problem either.

Pistol
06-22-2010, 11:58 AM
I have no more burn problems with large RG than I do with small RG, but I don't have many problems with burn at all. Why don't you try and cut the cap off with a knife and see if you have the same problem as you do with a punch? What kind of cigars are you smoking that tunnel? If they are CBID specials, I can tell you without a doubt it's the cigar. If you have the same problem with higher end cigars, I would suggest checking your RH level (probably fine, but have to ask), and making sure you are getting a good and even light (everyone screws this up from time to time). Those two factors affect the burn much more than anything other than the quality of the roll (weak/new torecedors make inconsistent cigars), just MHO.

whodeeni
06-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Guys I think it's called buy a bigger punch!:tu

The Xicar that one of the other brothers mentioned is much
larger than yoru standard pinhole punch on the cheap plastic
ones....

REALMCCOY
06-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Guys I think it's called buy a bigger punch!:tu

The Xicar that one of the other brothers mentioned is much
larger than yoru standard pinhole punch on the cheap plastic
ones....
Are you refering to the twist punch or the other Xikar punch, don't remember exactly what they are called.007 and 008?

Thrak
06-26-2010, 08:21 AM
how are you guys punching multiple times w/o messing up the cap? Sometimes the cap cracks on me wth just 1 punch and you're making shapes? lol..

I must have poor punch technique

weak_link
06-26-2010, 08:26 AM
how are you guys punching multiple times w/o messing up the cap? Sometimes the cap cracks on me wth just 1 punch and you're making shapes? lol..

I must have poor punch technique

Press lightly and give it a couple twists as if you were trying to start a screw, then change spots and repeat. Similar technique to Ratters patent pending 'Cranial Screw Top Method.' :p

Emjaysmash
06-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Also, try wetting the cap with some saliva. Helps with the cracks.