PDA

View Full Version : Injured at work

DPD6030
11-04-2008, 02:28 AM
I broke my wrist again tonight at work. Two idiots had broke into a car and ran on us. They went behind a building and I jumped an industrial air conditioner to follow them. While doing this I put my right hand down to steady myself. Not a good idea. Arrested the two suspects and after all the adreline came down my wrist was screaming in pain. Went to the ER and got a split and some meds. I am calling the orthopedic doc. tomorrow and see when they can get me in. This sucks majorly. On the bright side it will free up more time to smoke some sticks since I can't work at all. :ss

Sauer Grapes
11-04-2008, 02:37 AM
that sucks. hope you can at least enjoy a little of your time off now.

robofan
11-04-2008, 03:41 AM
I hope there is no permanent damage and that you get paid sick leave. Enjoy the time off.

racer3
11-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Well it could have been much worse and at least you got the two dopes. Have a speedy recovery and enjoy the time for some good smokes!! :cb

Hardcz
11-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Maybe now you can justify going to see your brother and me....

Stay strong buddy.

elderboy02
11-04-2008, 05:03 AM
Thank your for making your community safer. Hang in there man.

TripleF
11-04-2008, 05:06 AM
Guess you're not an expert on the pummel horse huh?

Sorry about your wrist bro. Hope it heals quickly.

More smokes :ss

tsolomon
11-04-2008, 05:14 AM
Sorry about the wrist, but you got the guys so that's a plus. Hope your wrist heals quickly and it doesn't hinder your cigar smoking.

massphatness
11-04-2008, 05:16 AM
You broke your wrist again? Bro, you gotta' be more careful. As a couple other guys mentioned, at least it wasn't worse.

My Rx for you: Time to sampling the dark side! :dance:

G G
11-04-2008, 05:31 AM
Hate to hear that Andrew. Prayers for recovery.:ss

Ragin Cajun
11-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Sorry to hear that, but on the bright side you still got the bastages and now have time to smoke:ss

icehog3
11-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Sorry to hear about the injury, Andrew...hopefully the doc can make it stronger than ever, and hopefully the Goddess of Worker's Compensation will smile on you. :)

md4958
11-04-2008, 07:55 AM
sorry about the wrist Andrew...hopfully it wasnt your smoking arm??

Mark
11-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks for your service brother and recover quickly! Smoke a paid leave celebratory cigar :tu

Beer Doctor
11-04-2008, 08:33 AM
That sucks buddy! Get better soon:ss

Old Sailor
11-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Andrew, I have just the fix to make you feel better.....start smokin your brothers cigars!! Heal fast my friend.:tu:tu

Don Fernando
11-04-2008, 12:18 PM
sorry to hear bro, if it makes you feel any better, my left foot got jammed between a door and a heavy display today and I'm wearing an icepack on my anckle right now, so you're not the only one in pain.

RevSmoke
11-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I broke my wrist again tonight at work. Two idiots had broke into a car and ran on us. They went behind a building and I jumped an industrial air conditioner to follow them. While doing this I put my right hand down to steady myself. Not a good idea. Arrested the two suspects and after all the adreline came down my wrist was screaming in pain. Went to the ER and got a split and some meds. I am calling the orthopedic doc. tomorrow and see when they can get me in. This sucks majorly. On the bright side it will free up more time to smoke some sticks since I can't work at all. :ss

Can you say, "Light duty." (translated, "riding a desk")

Do you have a chaplain for your department? I am for the Shawano Sheriff. If you were here, that's what you'd get. Meaning, you get to do transports and/or listen to complainants who come to the office. Loads of fun...

God's blessings on your recovery time.

Prozac_Puros
11-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Get well soon! :ss

DPD6030
11-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Nope, my department doesn't have a "light duty" classification. So I'm at home until the wrist heals and I get the green light to get back to work. I'm going to be so bored. I have TV but only local over the air programming which is so darn stupid which all stations are switching to. It's like the it freezes and comes back. I've pretty much watched all my DVDs and I can't use the xbox360 since my whole hand is wrapped up. So I guess it's reading magazines and smoking sticks. Oh, maybe having a cold one or two or three! :dance: Thanks for all the warm wishes.

Sailchaser
11-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Andrew
Smoke them sticks and heal that wrist fast

chippewastud79
11-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Best of luck for a speedy recovery. :tu

On the brightside, now you can make it to the Cincinnati Herf :D

DPD6030
11-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Update:

Just got done at the Orthopedic doctor. I do have a fracture and now I am referred to a Orthopedic surgeon to do a bone graft on the skaphyoid sp?. So now it seems like I will be out of work for a few months :(

Thanks for all the warm and kind wishes! :D

skibumdc
11-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Wrist injuries are VERY complicated and take a long time to heal. Most ortho surgeons won't even go near that area. Knees and hips are easier so they stay in that practice.

I tore cartilage in my left wrist in the gym in the TFCC (Traingular Fibro Cartilage Complex). Splint at first, then cortisone shot next a few weeks later. After a few months it was better. Still comes back to haunt me, but I am ALWAYS weary of putting to much strain on it now.

My cure...keep working out. If I stop working out my wrist starts to hurt again. My theory is the muscles in the forearm compensate for lack of strength in the joint now.

DPD6030
01-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Surgery scheduled for this Wednesday at noon. Have to be there at 10:30AM. Supposed to take 2 1/2 hours in surgery and then go to recovery. I'm a bit nervous as this will be the first surgery and I've never been put under. I'm sure things will go well and I'll be just fine. It could be 4-5 months until a full recovery which sucks. Thanks for all the kinds words. :)

Tenor CS
01-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Best of luck in the surgery and positive vibes for a speedy recovery. Thank you for all you do protecting and serving your community.

elderboy02
01-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Good luck to you! :)

icehog3
01-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery from the impending surgery, Andrew! :)

Starscream
01-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Get well soon, bro. Being out of work is good for about a day or so, then starts to suck.

chippewastud79
01-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Best of luck with the surgery :tu

Being as this is your first surgery, I would suggest that you ask for something to help with the anesthesia. When I came out of my "sleep" I had a lot of problems with feeling very sick from the anesthesia. It is only another shot they add to your IV before the surgery and it helped me immensely in my last 3 surgeries. Better to ask for it and wouldn't have gotten sick, then feeling like hell for a few days. :2

G G
01-11-2009, 03:57 PM
All will go well my friend. God Speed on the recovery.

Gophernut
01-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Good luck on the surgery bro! 4-5 months? Ouch. :ss

bobarian
01-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Good luck on your surgery. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Blueface
01-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Sorry to hear about the injury but at least you go the bastages.

BTW,
STOP typing!!!:r:r:r

schnell987
01-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Prayers sent for a successful surgery and full recovery, Andrew. At least you still have us during your recovery (uh...that was meant to make you feel better :D).

white_s2k
01-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Get well soon Andrew!!

Sauer Grapes
01-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Sorry to hear you'll be off more. Don't worry about the surgery and being put under. They have a special Dr. there just for putting you under and making sure everything goes well with that. Anesthesiologists go to a lot of school to learn what they know.

DPD6030
01-11-2009, 06:16 PM
You guys are just great! All the kinds words and the advice on the extra shot in the IV so I don't vomit :pu...priceless. Thanks for being part of the family. :salute:

Buena Fortuna
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
You guys are just great! All the kinds words and the advice on the extra shot in the IV so I don't vomit :pu...priceless. Thanks for being part of the family. :salute:

Hopefully it wasn"t your smoking hand/wrist...are you ambindextrious? Praying for a speedy recovery

Sailkat
01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Good luck with your surgery, Andrew! We'll keep you in our prayers.

Do you get a cool colored cast?

ChasDen
01-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Here is to a speedy recovery :ze

Look on the bright side in about 3 weeks you will have lots of time to organize the vino :D

Chas

fissure
01-14-2009, 12:26 PM
In case anyone wanted to know, Andrew just got out of surgery and is in recovery now. Everything went fine, but took longer than expected since the first time he broke it, it never healed correctly.

Smokin Gator
01-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the update... I knew he was having the surgery this week but had forgotten what day. If there is anything he needs let me know.

bob staebell
01-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Not to put a damper on your cigar plans, but you may want to read this.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/brokenbones/a/smokingbones.htm

There have been a number of studies over the years on healing rates & non-unions (failure to heal) of broken bones & smokers vs non smokers. Something to think about.

cheers,
Bob

Conch Republican
01-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Andrew, I have just the fix to make you feel better.....start smokin your brothers cigars!! Heal fast my friend.:tu:tu
:tpd:

And when he run's out - grab some from Dave - he is on the water :ss :r:

DPD6030
01-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Not to put a damper on your cigar plans, but you may want to read this.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/brokenbones/a/smokingbones.htm

There have been a number of studies over the years on healing rates & non-unions (failure to heal) of broken bones & smokers vs non smokers. Something to think about.

cheers,
Bob

Doc. told me to not smoke for a while. The first time I broke it they never did surgery and it healed with scar tissue. Now I have a screw in my wrist. Won't be smoking for a bit but don' plan on giving it up. Thanks for the article. :)

poker
01-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Wishing a speedy & full recovery for you.

You could always download some movies on your Xbox to help pass the time with your favorite smoke! :)

chippewastud79
01-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Doc. told me to not smoke for a while. The first time I broke it they never did surgery and it healed with scar tissue. Now I have a screw in my wrist. Won't be smoking for a bit but don' plan on giving it up. Thanks for the article. :)

The Cincinnati Herf sounds like a good time to have a few sticks. :D

Best of luck on the recovery :tu

CigaSkills9
01-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Glad surgery went well. Sorry but the no smoking hit. Have a fast and speedy recovery, they need you out there on the streets! be safe and Peace!

Diesel Kinevel
01-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Its good to hear your surgery went well, enjoy the time off, but Im sure your probably itching to get back to work/out of the house

DPD6030
01-20-2009, 04:42 PM
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=1143

About a 2 1/2-3 inch nice scar on my right belt-line hip area. Yes, that seems to be fishing line. I can't see stitches but can see two loops of what appears to be monofilament. Not much to get excited about but I thought I'd share. That scar hurts worse than my wrist with the screw in it. If I can have them send me a total cost on what the operation cost the insurance I may have a contest like Scott did when he had his back surgery. :D