PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Summers are like North East Winters...Miserable

kgoings
06-17-2010, 01:24 AM
It is just too damn miserable to smoke! I know I tease a lot in the winters about how its 70 here and I am smoking. I apologize! It is just too damn hot to smoke here. It is now past midnight and its still over 90. Yuck!

I need a smoking room! I am not going to pay a local B&M for smoking rights in their club.

At least in the winter you can get a kerosene or propane heater and heat your garage...cooling a garage out here would cost a small fortune.

Bax
06-17-2010, 01:31 AM
At least your heat is dry. Sitting on the Chesapeake Bay it's 94 with about 90% humididty sometimes. We all need to just move to Hawaii!

scoot
06-17-2010, 01:33 AM
http://www.cheekychicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/caribeener.jpg

Neuromancer
06-17-2010, 02:37 AM
It is just too damn miserable to smoke! I know I tease a lot in the winters about how its 70 here and I am smoking. I apologize! It is just too damn hot to smoke here. It is now past midnight and its still over 90. Yuck!

I need a smoking room! I am not going to pay a local B&M for smoking rights in their club.

At least in the winter you can get a kerosene or propane heater and heat your garage...cooling a garage out here would cost a small fortune.

Tell me about it...I lived there for 13 years...so now I'm in Florida...yesterday's temp was 93F...with humidity it made it feel like 103F and thats what registered on outside thermometers...how the hell do ya go out to smoke a cigar or pipe in that kinda heat?

neoflex
06-17-2010, 07:07 AM
It's been hot as hell here in NC this past week. Even at night it's been sticky. Sat outside with a Cain F last night and went back inside afterward and my shirt was actually damp. I hear you on the heat though as I have been craving a cigar all week but the heat during the day is just intolerable to sit outside and smoke. Finally broke down last night and waited for the sun to set.

icehog3
06-17-2010, 07:57 AM
I hope to trade positions sometime in the next few years. Come endure 40+ Chicago and Detroit winters and you will know what I mean. ;)

Mindflux
06-17-2010, 07:58 AM

I feel ya. TX summers are the same way. Walk outside and just moments later you are coated in sweat.

elderboy02
06-17-2010, 07:59 AM
I am playing the world's smallest violin. It is payback for the nice winters you all have ;) :r

I would love to not have to put on 20 layers of clothing to smoke a cigar in the winter :tu

icehog3
06-17-2010, 08:05 AM
I am playing the world's smallest violin. It is payback for the nice winters you all have ;) :r

I would love to not have to put on 20 layers of clothing to smoke a cigar in the winter :tu

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/violin-1.gif

G G
06-17-2010, 08:07 AM
Pretty hot here in Florida lately too.:tu

Mugen910
06-17-2010, 08:35 AM

I always tell the GF...In the winter you can bundle up and eventually get warm but in the heat you'd strip down and still be sweating unless you find AC.

1badhog07
06-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Living in south tx i know how you feel,i think yesterday we hit around 102deg.

KenyanSandBoa
06-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Living in south tx i know how you feel,i think yesterday we hit around 102deg.

Forget that...I wouldn't leave my house.

I usually smoke at night during the summer. It's nice and cool but the bugs can be a pain. I'm using a fan for now, but the Mosquito Magnet is coming on board soon. :tu

Brutus2600
06-17-2010, 08:50 AM
The DFW area of Texas is the worst...because we have crazy hot, humid summers, and bitter cold, windy winters. There are about 3-4 months total that you can sit outside and really enjoy the weather :p

My parents are moving to Hawaii in August. I'm seriously considering following them out there, haha. Temps around the 80's year round with a nice sea breeze blowing constantly? Yesplz.

neoflex
06-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Forget that...I wouldn't leave my house.

I usually smoke at night during the summer. It's nice and cool but the bugs can be a pain. I'm using a fan for now, but the Mosquito Magnet is coming on board soon. :tu

Just bought a bug zapper myself a couple weeks ago. That zzzzzzzzztttt sounds always brings a smile to my face.:D

dyieldin
06-17-2010, 10:50 AM
At least your heat is dry. Sitting on the Chesapeake Bay it's 94 with about 90% humididty sometimes. We all need to just move to Hawaii!

A dry heat? My oven has a dry heat and I am not sticking my head in there......

stewshi
06-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Just bought a bug zapper myself a couple weeks ago. That zzzzzzzzztttt sounds always brings a smile to my face.:D

Please post pics of the bug zapper .... j/k

I agree with kgoings I usually like to enjoy a smoke on the golf course but its even too hot to hit the white ball this time of year.

dyieldin
06-17-2010, 10:55 AM

I hear ya bro. I have been getting up about 5AM so I can get in a smoke before the heat. At least I have shade most of the day on the patio, not so bad if I stay out of the sun directly and just sit and smoke. Another nice thing, no bugs. I am from WI and I'll take this anytime.

Would one of those suits they wear on the moon work? LOL.

neoflex
06-17-2010, 11:00 AM
5am? That's dedication right there!:r:banger

stewshi
06-17-2010, 11:01 AM
I hear ya bro. I have been getting up about 5AM so I can get in a smoke before the heat. At least I have shade most of the day on the patio, not so bad if I stay out of the sun directly and just sit and smoke. Another nice thing, no bugs. I am from WI and I'll take this anytime.

Would one of those suits they wear on the moon work? LOL.

Agreed the shade does make a huge difference and if you have a pool even better :r

Lear31MX
06-17-2010, 11:11 AM
I severed my three years in PHX, hated it, I couldn't run fast enough to move back up to the good old pacific northwest. :D

Kreth
06-17-2010, 11:12 AM
You knew this was coming:
Shame about the heat. It's a nice comfortable 63 as I enjoy a smoke on the porch. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

wolfandwhisky
06-17-2010, 11:40 AM
I severed my three years in PHX, hated it, I couldn't run fast enough to move back up to the good old pacific northwest. :D

Rub it in, why don't you! I love the PacNW... left there about 13 years ago... not sure why.

E.J.
06-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Any of you Az guys going to the Scottsdale Cigar King Carrillo event tomorrow?

kgoings
06-17-2010, 12:22 PM

I might be able to

Lear31MX
06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Rub it in, why don't you! I love the PacNW... left there about 13 years ago... not sure why.

Don't worry about It to much. Just walled outside it's raining an 49 deg. In the mid of June

Brutus2600
06-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Ugh.

:td

Smokin Gator
06-17-2010, 03:58 PM
I am lucky as I can grab a smoke or two during the day in the truck as I go from job to job. At night I am so glad I created the Gator Cave. I have an extra AC unit in there and it keeps it a nice 74 degrees for my evening stick. If I had to smoke outside in 90+ degree heat and 90+ RH I would not be happy!!!

dyieldin
06-17-2010, 04:09 PM

I might hit that.
There is also one at Tinder Box - PHX, a Tatuaje Tasting 3PM to 7PM

theant
06-17-2010, 05:13 PM

I live in Vegas and I picked up a sub $200 swamp cooler that I use in my garage when it is way too hot to smoke outside. And outside I picked up a cooling mist system that will actually lower the temp by 20 degrees or so.
Ant

Rabidsquirrel
06-17-2010, 07:20 PM
I'd gladly take the northeast winter over a desert summer.

smokin5
06-17-2010, 08:53 PM
And THIS is precisely why I keep tempting you flatlander Phoenicians to party mile-high style in Prescott. -(P

chippewastud79
06-17-2010, 09:34 PM

You certainly aren't putting on 20 layers. :r

joeobx
06-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Tell me about it...I lived there for 13 years...so now I'm in Florida...yesterday's temp was 93F...with humidity it made it feel like 103F and thats what registered on outside thermometers...how the hell do ya go out to smoke a cigar or pipe in that kinda heat?

Car herf:banger

Azlooker
06-18-2010, 10:45 AM
I have lived in Arizona for 27 years and never get tired of the heat. I froze my butt off for 23 years in upstate NY. Never going to live in the snow again! As for being too hot to smoke, I installed fans on my patio, installed a drop-down sun shade, and bring out a large pitcher of iced tea. Being in the shade does help quite a bit. Wife installed a fly-trap thing the other day, it smelled like a pile of dead fish! Worked well, but could not stand the smell....its gone now! LOL!

stitch
06-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Ahhhhhh here in Round Valley at 7100 feet we have 85-90 degree days
and 55-65 degree night :D
Course' in the winter we measure our snow in feet not inches ...

dyieldin
06-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Wife installed a fly-trap thing the other day, it smelled like a pile of dead fish! Worked well, but could not stand the smell....its gone now! LOL!

Dead fish? LOL. I guess to attract the bugs. Is it not a little hot for bug now? I do not have any here by S.Mtn now. Well, scorpions but they only hurt for a little while.

Azlooker
06-18-2010, 10:09 PM
just a few annoying flies...gone now

icehog3
06-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, scorpions but they only hurt for a little while.

They have hurt me for years. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjFsZj1aHow&feature=channel

Martin
06-19-2010, 06:55 AM

No brainer to me :2

Big_Ern
06-19-2010, 08:54 AM
The DFW area of Texas is the worst...because we have crazy hot, humid summers, and bitter cold, windy winters. There are about 3-4 months total that you can sit outside and really enjoy the weather :p
Bitter cold winters are @ -30 or colder for a month or more, we don't want to go outside either.:D