PDA

View Full Version : Leaving my cigars for a while. What to do?

benedic08
06-14-2010, 02:42 AM
Hey guys im leaving the US for a while for vacation. From July 26 - September 16. My humidors seal good and i use the rh beads to control the humidity but im afraid they might not get enough air without anyone opening it once in a while. Whats the best way to keep my cigars in good condition while im away?

Thanks -(P

Beankyu
06-14-2010, 03:18 AM
U should put it in a box which avoids sun light and wind, I think.

Emjaysmash
06-14-2010, 05:14 AM
If your seal is good and your beads are charged, you should be fine.

neoflex
06-14-2010, 07:04 AM
For that time span you should be fine. 3 weeks is not too long. I know some of my humis get neglected for longer than that in the winter with no ill effect. With beads you really shouldn't need to crack your humi unless your using a Tupperdore. Just be sure to re-charge everything right before leaving and enjoy your trip.

mosesbotbol
06-14-2010, 07:07 AM
Fill the water up and leave them in a temp controlled room and you should be good when you get home. You may want to put a trash bag tied around the humidors, but if no one is opening them, I think you'll make it fine for your vacation.

cbsmokin
06-14-2010, 07:22 AM
If your humi is small enough, buy an ice chest to place it in. When you return, you will now have a coolidor to also fill.

You can thank me later :r

kenstogie
06-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Very good suggestion with the plastic and the Cooler. I use the platic bag trick when it's excessively humid (summer) or dry (forced air heat in winter) works like a charm. Cooler is great for excessive heat as is an empty unused refrig. Basement is good for summer as it's cooler but beware many basements have excess humidity.

I left my stix for 2 months when I was in prison (Warrant Officer Basic Army School ;) ) and it was AOK. You'll be fine cigars are pretty resilliant IMHO.

CigarNut
06-14-2010, 08:20 AM
There are a lot of good suggestions here (charge your beads, enclose humi plastic bag or coolidor, etc.). You have not said where your humi is stored in your home, but as long as it is not near a window (or head/AC vent) and does not get direct sunlight you should be fine.

benedic08
06-14-2010, 10:09 AM
There are a lot of good suggestions here (charge your beads, enclose humi plastic bag or coolidor, etc.). You have not said where your humi is stored in your home, but as long as it is not near a window (or head/AC vent) and does not get direct sunlight you should be fine.

My humidors are on top of my drawers under my hanged clothes inside the closet. Its dry there and almost no sunlight. I think its fine there hehehe... :D

If your humi is small enough, buy an ice chest to place it in. When you return, you will now have a coolidor to also fill.

You can thank me later :r

That my friend is a very good idea! I might just do that. I'm gonna have to buy a big one though. hehehhe :ss

Well thanks all you guys! :ss

ama
06-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Boveda packs would work too, they last at least a couple of months in my experience.

macsauce13
06-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Mail them to me, I'll watch out for them! ;)

T.G
06-15-2010, 12:12 AM

bastid.

That was going to be my suggestion.

benedic08
06-15-2010, 01:55 AM

LOL! Thanks for the offer! I'll think about it hahahaha -(P