PDA

View Full Version : Humidor Question

tomc3084
06-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Hi Guys-
I just purchased myself a re-adjustable hydrometer because I felt my humidity was high even though my non adjustable hydrometer said it was of an okay level. Okay, so after a few days of playing around with the hydrometer to make sure it was reading correctly I finally got to put it in my humidor last night. Well, today when I opened it I was shocked. It is reading 72/74 rH on top and 75 on the bottom. I am not sure if I have 65 or 70 beads, but I went and ordered myself one pound 60% percent beads. My question is that since my smokes have been in these conditions for the last several(3-4) months, besides the obvious(cigars being too humid), is there anything I need to worry about. Thanks in advance for any much appreciated feedback :)
Tommy

icehog3
06-12-2010, 09:02 AM
How do they burn, and how do they taste?

tomc3084
06-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Tom, some of my smokes go out a couple times, some don't. Some burn all the way through without relight and have perfect burn. For the most part they burn good, just the relighting issues is there more than not.

icehog3
06-12-2010, 09:12 AM
That is usually overhumidification....as you slowly bring the RH down, your cigars should improve and smoke better...I am sure you haven't done any permanent damage to anything.

massphatness
06-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Agreed. You also may want to consider dry boxing some of your stock to see if that gets them in more smokeable condition.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ashcan Bill
06-12-2010, 10:22 AM
I doubt you've hurt anything. The humidity in the islands where many cigars are made is pretty high. Doesn't hurt 'em there, shouldn't hurt them here. As Tom ponted out, the real gauge is how they smoke.

At over 70% I'd expect a lot of burn/draw problems. As the humidity drops, they should start smoking a lot better. I don't sweat the numbers much. I adjust my humidors based on how my cigars feel and smoke.

tomc3084
06-12-2010, 10:43 AM
I know it is an age old question, but I really value your opinions, so what do you guys personally think about the taste meaning: Do you think my cigars will taste better/worse/same as I bring the rH down?

NCRadioMan
06-12-2010, 01:35 PM
I know it is an age old question, but I really value your opinions, so what do you guys personally think about the taste meaning: Do you think my cigars will taste better/worse/same as I bring the rH down?

Better. More "pop" to upfront flavors while being able to ascern the more subtle nuances of the smoke. I find overhumidified cigars flavors are quite muted.

:2

pnoon
06-12-2010, 02:59 PM
I doubt you've hurt anything. The humidity in the islands where many cigars are made is pretty high. Doesn't hurt 'em there, shouldn't hurt them here. As Tom ponted out, the real gauge is how they smoke.

At over 70% I'd expect a lot of burn/draw problems. As the humidity drops, they should start smoking a lot better. I don't sweat the numbers much. I adjust my humidors based on how my cigars feel and smoke.
:tu
That is it in a nutshell.

Kreth
06-12-2010, 03:19 PM
One other thing to watch out for is splitting wrappers, although this is usually caused by a sudden swing from low to high RH.
Try the dry-boxing and see if you like how they smoke.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dark Jester
06-12-2010, 09:48 PM
One other thing to watch out for is splitting wrappers, although this is usually caused by a sudden swing from low to high RH.
Try the dry-boxing and see if you like how they smoke.

Yep. Aside from splitting wrappers, I think the only long term damage that high humidity might cause is mold. You're probably ok on that below 75% RH. Any higher than that and it might be a concern. Probably more of a concern in Vinotemps or Coolers, rather than traditional humidors or cabinets as well cause there is less air exchange.

tomc3084
06-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Ok, for some reason it seems the Rh is a little higher in my cooler than in the room it is in, weird I know...so how do I work on bringing the rh down until the beads get here, leave the door open maybe?

bobarian
06-13-2010, 10:18 PM
You are worrying way too much. The key is smokability, if they smoke well its all good. Having an occasional wrapper issue on one or two marcas is common, some wrappers are much thinner than others. When wrappers split on different types of wrappers from different manufacturers, that is the time to worry. Otherwise, relax and enjoy your smokes. :2

pnoon
06-13-2010, 10:21 PM
You are worrying way too much. The key is smokability, if they smoke well its all good. Having an occasional wrapper issue on one or two marcas is common, some wrappers are much thinner than others. When wrappers split on different types of wrappers from different manufacturers, that is the time to worry. Otherwise, relax and enjoy your smokes. :2

Wise words, Bob.

shilala
06-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Ok, for some reason it seems the Rh is a little higher in my cooler than in the room it is in, weird I know...so how do I work on bringing the rh down until the beads get here, leave the door open maybe?
I use a can of damprid and pull some water out of the air and cigars slowly. It works great.
You asked about the difference in cigars at lower RH...
Aside from the lighting issues, they just tatse better to me. I've moved down and down till I'm at around 64% now, but in one humi I keep it at around 61%.
I haven't been keeping cigars long enough to be confident in my abilities to keep a humidor in the right range without a hygrometer, but I can tell when a cigar is too wet for my liking just by feeling it and smelling it.
I'll just put it back in the humidor till it's ready.
NC's seem to be a little more forgiving when they're a bit wet, to me. It seems they're kind of "designed" to smoke a little wetter. It seems to me that cc's can't tolerate it at all, and smoke awful when they're wet.
It seems to take cc's longer to get "right" than nc's, too.
They seem to have a period where they're real hard, and then they relax. I think it's because of how the moisture is distributed unevenly, the cigar being drier on the outside and wetter in the center.
CC's seem to be rolled much tighter initially than nc's, too.
Please take this with a grain of salt. They're my opinions and observations. I've got a lot of learning to do. That's why I lean on these guys. :tu

bsmokin
07-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Better. More "pop" to upfront flavors while being able to ascern the more subtle nuances of the smoke. I find overhumidified cigars flavors are quite muted.

:2

Totally agree with this... a bit on the drier side.... 65% is ideal IMHO.