PDA

View Full Version : Vinotemp electric humidification options - which is better?

Mark7777
06-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi - I am a new member here - have been lurking for a long time - This is a great place with great people.

I have been doing my homework regarding setting up a Vinotemp and understand all the basics.

But I still am not sure which electric humidification system to use + beads.

APPROX. PRICES

Hydra system+ fans -$90 + $65 for x3 fans

Oasis XL - $100
Oasis + 1-3 CPU fans connected to a timer to activate hourly

Humicare Elec. system + Fans - $80 + $32 for x3 fans

Avallo Accumonitor + x1fan + Timer - $300

It seems based on what I have read - all systems will work. But I havent come across a thread about comparing these options based on quality/effect/costs. I tend to invest in better quality items because in the long run they are better and last longer - regarding cigars - this is all about protecting the investment. But at the same time, I dont want to go too overboard. Just something I can trust to work.

Thank you all in advance for any advice.

Mark

bobarian
06-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Electronic humidification is totally unnecessary in a 28btl Vinotemp or equivalent. I have been using 1lb of Heartfelt 65% beads in two bags(one at top and one bottom) for the past 2 years. I have two Oust fans but got tired of changing batteries so I do without. Never had an issue with Rh using beads. :2

Brutus2600
06-11-2010, 10:36 AM
In my opinion...if you just got enough beads you would achieve your desired RH and save all the money that an active humidification devices would cost.

Is there a specific reason you want to do both? Also, how big a vinotemp are you looking at?

P.S. Welcome to the forums :)

wolfandwhisky
06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
unless it is a big humidor, an active system isn't really necessary, as bobarian mentioned.

I have a 35 ct unit and a pound and a half of kitty litter and the thing holds very well. I don't even have the fans running because the humidity readings at each sensor are showing well

Mark7777
06-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Right now, I am thinking a 18-28 bottle unit.

So perhaps figuring out a way for CPU fan + timer set up + 2lb of beads will work well enough....

I saw many other people were using active humidification systems so I assumed there was a major benefit doing so in addition to the beads...

I do want to use the oust fan because of the battery issue and I would like to find the best way to incorporate a fan + timer system...

fissure
06-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Agree with the rest. Have 2 28 bottle ones full to the gills. Been running them 2 years with 1.5 pounds of beads and no fans. No issues at all. It is in the basement where the temp is pretty constant at 65 so I don't even have them plugged in.

Brutus2600
06-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Go with the 28, it's the largest you can get while having the thermoeletric system.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about fans. I calculated it would take a little under 1.5lbs of heartfelt beads for a 28 count cooler, so I got 1.5 lbs. I'll put a half a pound at the bottom, middle, and top of the cooler and I'm sure that will be plenty of stability without needing fans. Other people might disagree, but that's just my :2 :D

bobarian
06-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Right now, I am thinking a 18-28 bottle unit.

So perhaps figuring out a way for CPU fan + timer set up + 2lb of beads will work well enough....

I saw many other people were using active humidification systems so I assumed there was a major benefit doing so in addition to the beads...

I do want to use the oust fan because of the battery issue and I would like to find the best way to incorporate a fan + timer system...

A fan is also not necessary. Rh will be stable in such a small space, it all balances in the long run. I dont use fans any more in either of my 28btl Vino's.
You can run the fan wires down through the drainhole in the back to a timer.
A few ppl have mounted CPU fans in empty cigar cab's.

weak_link
06-11-2010, 11:15 AM
A fan is also not necessary. Rh will be stable in such a small space, it all balances in the long run. I dont use fans any more in either of my 28btl Vino's.

Wise man says wise things.

captain53
06-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Only one I have tried on your list is Oasis and it was junk that now lives in a landfill somewhere.:td

I have a 28 bottle with 2# of Shilala Beads (you can buy them right here in the Nuthouse) and could not be much happier.:tu:2