PDA

View Full Version : Who's ready for the World Cup?

Pages : [1] 2

Mugen910
06-10-2010, 12:14 PM
I just filled in my ESPN bracket...I know it's a long shot but Go Team :usa

mosesbotbol
06-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Can't wait!

As an American, I wish us the best, but playing England first round is no easy task.

I root for USA, Brazil, and France. Hope to see Portugal and an African country do well too.

pnoon
06-10-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm really looking forward to the entire tournament.
:dance:
Posted via Mobile Device

markem
06-10-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm really looking forward to the entire tournament.
:dance:
Posted via Mobile Device

be sure to wear your lucky jersey, buzzy :tu

jledou
06-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Gotta root for Cameroon and hopefully the Red, White and Blue can pull off a good showing if not a great finish.

pnoon
06-10-2010, 12:29 PM
I will but only when watching at home or after the US is eliminated.

I have two lucky jerseys. Both are for club teams from England.

:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Mugen910
06-10-2010, 12:32 PM
I will but only when watching at home or after the US is eliminated.

I have two lucky jerseys. Both are for club teams from England.

:)
Posted via Mobile Device

:tu

Superbad
06-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I root for the US, England, Italy, in that order. Last World Cup, I really rooted for Trinidad and Tobago as well.

Don Fernando
06-10-2010, 12:57 PM
There's only one team to root for: The Netherlands. But Spain will be the new world champion.

Smokin Gator
06-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I can't wait... we were at the last WC and I really wanted to go this year but my wife said, No South Africa!!"

Lots of sleep will be lost in the next month... GO USA!!!! But if our defense doesn't look better than the last couple of friendlies we will be making an early trip home.

icehog3
06-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Too late, the Blackhawks already won.

Mugen910
06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Too late, the Blackhawks already won.

Oh Tom....you know I don't watch cricket.

ucla695
06-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I can't wait!!! I just hope the cable in my new place is hooked up by then. :)

Mugen910
06-10-2010, 01:21 PM
I can't wait!!! I just hope the cable in my new place is hooked up by then. :)

The woman kick you out already? :r

ucla695
06-10-2010, 01:24 PM
The woman kick you out already? :r

:r :r

Yeah, but she moved with me too. :bh :r

icehog3
06-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Oh Tom....you know I don't watch cricket.

Well, then good luck with this badmiton tournament, Bao. :tu

Jbailey
06-10-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm hoping to catch a few games. Go USA!

Mugen910
06-10-2010, 01:51 PM
well, then good luck with this badmiton tournament, bao. :tu

shuttlecock!

I'm hoping to catch a few games. Go USA!

There?

Jbailey
06-10-2010, 01:52 PM
There?

Where?

Mugen910
06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Where?

You know!

Jbailey
06-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I was planning on watch some games on TV.

mithrilG60
06-10-2010, 04:19 PM
But the real World Cup isn't until next year? :confused:

Oh wait, you all are talking about that dive meet about to start in RSA aren't you? :r

I kid, I'll watch some of it.... I'm sure it'll be on the tv's in the office.

gvarsity
06-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm pretty stoked for the WC. I'm of course supporting the US. I also have always liked France having lived there beyond that I would like to see an African country do well. I have liked Cameroon since the Roger Milla days.

cort
06-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Can't F-in wait. GO USA, but Spain will win it all:tu

As long as South Africa beats Mexico tomorrow I should have a great weekend. All the Mexican dudes at work are talkin mad sh!t about Team USA so i had to throw down some smack of my own. I hope I don't eat my own words. For my homie the plumber, Go Honduras, you guys have never seen someone so damn excited about something for such a long time. This guy will not shut up about Honduras making the cup this year. That's what makes the World Cup so great.

markem
06-10-2010, 05:32 PM
got me some beer, chips, and the dvr is programmed so I'm good to go.

bobarian
06-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Oh yeah, its on! :banger

mithrilG60
06-10-2010, 05:46 PM
As long as South Africa beats Mexico tomorrow I should have a great weekend. All the Mexican dudes at work are talkin mad sh!t about Team USA so i had to throw down some smack of my own. I hope I don't eat my own words.

Anything can happen, but I'd bank on bringing some condiments and seasoning to work. RSA is in the World Cup only because they're hosting the tourney, they would not have qualified otherwise. As huge as soccer is in RSA, and as much as winning in sport is a way of life there, they're still not a 1st tier nation when it comes to soccer. Part of the goal of hosting the World Cup is to change that.

cort
06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Anything can happen, but I'd bank on bringing some condiments and seasoning to work. RSA is in the World Cup only because they're hosting the tourney, they would not have qualified otherwise. As huge as soccer is in RSA, and as much as winning in sport is a way of life there, they're still not a 1st tier nation when it comes to soccer. Part of the goal of hosting the World Cup is to change that.

I agree 100% but I love talk!n chit, so it's all good. The guys I am talkin about are some cool dudes, so it should be fun. We will know the outcome by our lunch time so maybe I should bring seasoning and condiments with me.

Sawyer
06-10-2010, 06:01 PM
My alarm is already set for 6:30AM on Saturday so I can make to Limerick's in the Virginia Highlands to watch Greece. Why does my fiance have to be Greek? That is really early on a Saturday.

Smokin Gator
06-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Why does my fiance have to be Greek? That is really early on a Saturday.

Dang dude... that ain't good. Once a year around here it gets ugly when it is Fl vs GA in college football... but that sure ain't the WC!! I'd move out for a while:D

Sawyer
06-10-2010, 06:49 PM
It is already going to be hard rooting against England when they face USA. At least I am not Korean. That is who Greece plays first. Maybe Greece will get knocked out in the first round and I won't have to worry about them facing USA, Germany or England, my other teams. But then I will have to put up with her being in a grouchy mood for a month. I am kinda screwed both ways.

themoneycollector
06-10-2010, 06:57 PM
I can't wait... we were at the last WC and I really wanted to go this year but my wife said, No South Africa!!"

Lots of sleep will be lost in the next month... GO USA!!!! But if our defense doesn't look better than the last couple of friendlies we will be making an early trip home.

Yep, my sleep patterns changed dramatically to watch the games last world cup. This will be no different.

Don Fernando
06-11-2010, 01:58 AM
But the real World Cup isn't until next year? :confused:

Oh wait, you all are talking about that dive meet about to start in RSA aren't you? :r

I kid, I'll watch some of it.... I'm sure it'll be on the tv's in the office.

No, we are talking about real football, not that American football where you use your hands more then your feet and where the sissies wear helmets and shoulderpats (which is soooooooooooooooooo 80's)

mithrilG60
06-11-2010, 02:49 AM
No, we are talking about real football, not that American football where you use your hands more then your feet and where the sissies wear helmets and shoulderpats (which is soooooooooooooooooo 80's)

Soccer's a great game........ for those are too small and fragile to play real footie, and no American football is not real footie. It is mildly ironic though that you'd jump to that conclusion when I clearly reference the fact that the real World Cup is next year and my avatar is a silver fern on an All Black field ;) I am however looking forward to seeing a good haka or 2 from the All Whites in the coming weeks.

I'm also not 100% sure that throwing around words like "sissy" is really the strongest defensive stance possible for a non-contact sport played by a bunch of delicate flowers who, when barely tapped on the ankle or shin, frequently spend much of their time rolling around clutching their faces (or whatever part of their body they think is most dramatic) screaming in fake pain like little babies in an attempt to draw a penalty and yet magically "heal" as soon as the ref stops looking.

That to me is is far far closer to being a "sissy" or "pansy" than anything you'll see on a real football pitch..... or even from the "sissies" wearing helmets and shoulder pads.

An oldie but a goodie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0do5xlE9C_A

:tf

hotreds
06-11-2010, 04:44 AM
forza.....italia

mosesbotbol
06-11-2010, 04:58 AM

When it gets to the pro level, there are no sissies in any sport. The stakes are too high, players are getting paid too much for anything less than 100%, and the fans would not watch if it was anything less.

Don Fernando
06-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Soccer's a great game........ for those are too small and fragile to play real footie, and no American football is not real footie. It is mildly ironic though that you'd jump to that conclusion when I clearly reference the fact that the real World Cup is next year and my avatar is a silver fern on an All Black field ;) I am however looking forward to seeing a good haka or 2 from the All Whites in the coming weeks.

I'm also not 100% sure that throwing around words like "sissy" is really the strongest defensive stance possible for a non-contact sport played by a bunch of delicate flowers who, when barely tapped on the ankle or shin, frequently spend much of their time rolling around clutching their faces (or whatever part of their body they think is most dramatic) screaming in fake pain like little babies in an attempt to draw a penalty and yet magically "heal" as soon as the ref stops looking.

That to me is is far far closer to being a "sissy" or "pansy" than anything you'll see on a real football pitch..... or even from the "sissies" wearing helmets and shoulder pads.

An oldie but a goodie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0do5xlE9C_A

:tf

It's all banter Geoff, I should have posted a ;)

GreekGodX
06-11-2010, 06:16 AM
It is already going to be hard rooting against England when they face USA. At least I am not Korean. That is who Greece plays first. Maybe Greece will get knocked out in the first round and I won't have to worry about them facing USA, Germany or England, my other teams. But then I will have to put up with her being in a grouchy mood for a month. I am kinda screwed both ways.

I assume your wife is Greek?

I work tomorrow but I'm waking up before to watch Greece vs South Korea. I'm hoping we can advance.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s116/GreekGodX/Forum%20images/200px-Greece_National_Crest.jpg

Don Fernando
06-11-2010, 07:31 AM
It's starting, gonna light a Don Lino Africa to support the home team against Mexico

Mugen910
06-11-2010, 07:31 AM
http://channelsurfing.net/watch-espn.html

For those with no tv in the office. :tu

Superbad
06-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Tied up 1-1 at halftime in the US vs. England!

pnoon
06-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Good opening match for the US. As I expected, the defense looked a bit shaky but Tim Howard is a world class GK and played lights out.

Robert Green certainly made a meal of Dempsey's shot and will likely be crucified by the English media and fans but he kept his head in the game and made a great save to keep England from losing the game.

A draw vs. England is fine for the US.

Smokin Gator
06-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Can't believe we got out of that with a draw!!!

kelmac07
06-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Great opening match for the US!! :tu

Don Fernando
06-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Good opening match for the US. As I expected, the defense looked a bit shaky but Tim Howard is a world class GK and played lights out.

Robert Green certainly made a meal of Dempsey's shot and will likely be crucified by the English media and fans but he kept his head in the game and made a great save to keep England from losing the game.

FWIW I didn't think that save was great at all. It was another mistake, he was just lucky the ball hit the post instead of the net.

mosesbotbol
06-13-2010, 06:53 AM

That was a gift from God that USA walked out with a draw. Fine goal keeping and full backs! They sure worked like mad men to constantly thwart England.

I am glad to see the USA turned down the athleticism a little so they had steam for the last 20 minutes. Remember what they did with Brazil; lead on the first half and fizzle out horribly later... Not this ‘go around. No one can open the field like Brazil, so you're stuck running like banshees.

Draw against England is a win for USA.

Smokin Gator
06-13-2010, 07:11 AM
That was a gift from God that USA walked out with a draw. Fine goal keeping and full backs! They sure worked like mad men to constantly thwart England.

Draw against England is a win for USA.

Moses, I agree with you on two points and disagree on one. That draw was like a win and Tim Howard had a great game in goal. Our backs though are killing me with their play. The aren't applying any kind or pressure or channelling the attackers. It was like that in the friendlies and it was like that in the England game. It drives me crazy!!!

hotreds
06-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Slovenia has a player named jockitch!

GreekGodX
06-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Slovenia has a player named jockitch!

Theres one Nigerian with the last name Shittu

BigAsh
06-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Moses, I agree with you on two points and disagree on one. That draw was like a win and Tim Howard had a great game in goal. Our backs though are killing me with their play. The aren't applying any kind or pressure or channelling the attackers. It was like that in the friendlies and it was like that in the England game. It drives me crazy!!!

:tpd:....Gave the Brits WAY too much space in the second half....if not for Howard a different outcome indeed!....That being said, I'll take it!!

yourchoice
06-13-2010, 10:04 AM
What a crazy ending to the Ghana/Serbia game. I have to admit, I've been enjoying the World Cup, and I am generally not a soccer fan.

yourchoice
06-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Is this driving anyone else crazy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpXN8BvGp_o&feature=related

mithrilG60
06-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Not really, it's just stadium noise. Pretty common at soccer and rugby matches.

macsauce13
06-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Yep, it doesn't bother me because I just understand its part of the game. BUT, I would not enjoy being surrounded by it in the actual stadium.

Superbad
06-13-2010, 12:47 PM
FIFA is thinking of banning those horns for the rest of the tournament.

Don Fernando
06-13-2010, 12:58 PM
they don't bother me personally, but the output of those things is 100-115 decibel which can cause irriversable hearing damage, so I understand that FIFA is considering a ban for health reasons.

ChicagoWhiteSox
06-13-2010, 01:05 PM
I love how the players can fake pain:r

Skywalker
06-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Not really, it's just stadium noise. Pretty common at soccer and rugby matches.

Not just noise!!!

I won't watch anymore!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/vuvuzela-drone-killing-world-cup-atmosphere?GT1=39011

Mugen910
06-13-2010, 02:19 PM
It sounds like a bees hive...I find it very annoying and would like to see it banned soon.

yourchoice
06-13-2010, 02:39 PM
It sounds like a bees hive...I find it very annoying and would like to see it banned soon.
Bees, or a swarm of locusts.
I love how the players can fake pain:r

This, along with diving, are my biggest turn offs with the sport. In the few games I've watched, it seems they are doing a good job policing the diving, but the writhing in pain is a still going on from what I've seen. I'm not sure what they can do to stop it though.

mithrilG60
06-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Not just noise!!!

I won't watch anymore!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/vuvuzela-drone-killing-world-cup-atmosphere?GT1=39011

Your loss, and I say that as someone that really doesn't care one way or the other about soccer. To me it's no different than any of the other traditional stadium noise making you find in major sports outside North America. Besides, the majority of people blowing those horns are the tourists since they are the majority of the people in the stands. It's just one of the things that comprises the flavour os this particular tournament :2

On a completely unrelated note, and something I've been meaning to ask for a while, why is it that you always post in all bold?

yourchoice
06-13-2010, 04:16 PM
why is it that you always post in all bold?

My guess...he's using the force! :ss Nyuk nyuk nyuk

Skywalker
06-13-2010, 06:06 PM
On a completely unrelated note, and something I've been meaning to ask for a while, why is it that you always post in all bold?

My guess...he's using the force! :ss Nyuk nyuk nyuk :r

;sIt's just something I started doing and I can't stop!!!

I started it back at Club Stogie!!!

It's not meant to be shouting or yelling!!!

kazzaca
06-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Is this driving anyone else crazy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpXN8BvGp_o&feature=related

Lol...500,000 tourists are going to go back home with tinnitis!

3SmokesaRound
06-15-2010, 01:02 PM
The horns are a little annoying, but watching almost every game thus far, I've gotten used to it. On the other hand, if I was in the stadium next to those horns, people would be blowing them out their other hole.

At this point, I can't believe how many ties there have been. It's sad that most teams seem to be playing not to lose, rather than trying to win.

I just hope the US can get 3-4 goals in a shutout on Friday, so they can win their group.

MarkinAZ
06-15-2010, 01:12 PM
;sIt's just something I started doing and I can't stop!!!

I started it back at Club Stogie!!!

It's not meant to be shouting or yelling!!!

Don't change Darrell:D

Watching Brazil and N. Korea at this time...

BigAsh
06-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Goal scoring way down....My Portuguese team was outplayed this morning by Ivory Coast, even with Drogba being injured and hardly playing.....Interesting tourney to say the least...

Don Fernando
06-15-2010, 03:01 PM
At this point, I can't believe how many ties there have been. It's sad that most teams seem to be playing not to lose, rather than trying to win.

Doesn't surprise me at all, it happens every WC, lots of draws in the first round.

bobarian
06-15-2010, 03:33 PM
US v England Highlights!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2010/jun/14/world-cup-2010-england-usa-brick

yourchoice
06-15-2010, 08:38 PM
US v England Highlights!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2010/jun/14/world-cup-2010-england-usa-brick

:r

BigAsh
06-16-2010, 09:51 AM
HUGE upset in the works!....Switz up 1-nil on Spain...

Subvet642
06-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Yup! Can't wait for all that slow moving, low scoring action! :tu

Mugen910
06-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Wow...I can see why Spain was favored to win the WC..they kept finding shots but couldn't aim it right. Nice work Switzerland.

Don Fernando
06-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Spain still played very well and are still the favorites to win the title. Switzerland just defended really well.

MarkinAZ
06-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Good D by the Swiss and found the right opening at the right time...

BigAsh
06-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Relentless attack by Spain....but nothing to show for it....

ade06
06-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Don't the South African police have anything better to do than mess with the Dutch...
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Two-Dutch-mini-dress-models-arrested-after-defyi?urn=sow,248867

Don Fernando
06-18-2010, 06:31 AM
A cute Dutch supporter

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/images/knappenederlandse.jpg

A sweet Brazilian supporter

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/images/knappebraziliaanse.jpg

A nice German supporter

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/images/lekkereduitse.jpg

A pretty Engish supporter

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/images/lekkereengelse.jpg

A cutie from Nigeria

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/images/lekkerenigeriaans.jpg

Don Fernando
06-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Viva Espana

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/images/knappedanseres.jpg

South Korean beauty

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/images/lekkerwijfsupporter.jpg

representing Portugal

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/images/knappeportugese.jpg

Hot latina from Argentina

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/images/knappeargentijnse.jpg

Don Fernando
06-18-2010, 06:34 AM
would this Argentinian guy be her brother?

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/images/knappeargentijn.jpg

GreekGodX
06-18-2010, 07:56 AM
No Greek girls? :(

MarkinAZ
06-18-2010, 07:58 AM
A cute Dutch supporter

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/images/knappenederlandse.jpg

Did I ever mention to you Ferdinan that I like the Dutch:D

md4958
06-18-2010, 08:03 AM
GO USA!!!

http://phillymidfielders.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/usa-soccer-fans.jpg

St. Lou Stu
06-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Watching now at 'work'.
I must say, that goal was nice.
Juked the defender out of his socks.

mosesbotbol
06-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Brazil has my favorite team (and women). No one opens up the field like they do and every player is a star. So are many of the fans!

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01067/Alessandra_Ambrosi_1067943a.jpg

Pistol
06-18-2010, 10:03 AM
The US got absolutely jobbed by the refs

PeteSB75
06-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Excellent game this morning. The US was robbed of that third goal, there was no offsides. When are they instituting replay? Damn refs.

hotreds
06-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Why pick a ref from Mali for such an important game? That's like picking an ump from Mali for the World Serious! This guy was horrible, and he certainly didn't waste any time to end the game! Hopefully he is done for the duration.

md4958
06-18-2010, 10:41 AM
http://media.point2.com/p2a/htmltext/8eac/c7df/de63/4a88f83fc416abfd23db/original.jpg

tomc3084
06-18-2010, 10:44 AM
I cannot believe that call that dumbass ref made!

Don Fernando
06-18-2010, 11:30 AM
more girls (http://gigapica.geenstijl.nl/2010/06/gigapica_wk_meisjes.html)

Don Fernando
06-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Just saw the highlights, what a disgrace indeed. Dempsey should have been sent off after the elbow in the first minute, and the last goal should have counted. You win some, you lose some.

kazzaca
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
All part of the World Cup fun! Good plays, lots of drama, and terrible officiating!!!!

kazzaca
06-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Why pick a ref from Mali for such an important game? That's like picking an ump from Mali for the World Serious! This guy was horrible, and he certainly didn't waste any time to end the game! Hopefully he is done for the duration.

Actually from a soccer perspective USA v Slovenia is not really a big match. Neither team are expected to make it too far in the tournament.

I agree that he did suck though...the question is how he qualified to ref ANY game at the World Cup.

tomc3084
06-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Did you guys see that face plant Dempsey took at the end, that was mean looking

md4958
06-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Actually from a soccer perspective USA v Slovenia is not really a big match. Neither team are expected to make it too far in the tournament.

I agree that he did suck though...the question is how he qualified to ref ANY game at the World Cup.

unless youre a USA or Slovenia fan!

This ref apparently was more than qualified... he just blew some calls. I heard he had ref'd the African World of Nations Cup, and some other high profile matches.

The ref in this morning Germany game was brutal... he was dishing out yellow cards like they were post it notes.

md4958
06-18-2010, 01:55 PM
No Greek girls? :(

Christos, this is the only one I could find that didnt have hairy armpits :r:r:r
http://www.worldcupgirls.com/wp-content/gallery/greek-soccer-girls/greeksoccergirl6.jpg

mosesbotbol
06-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Christos, this is the only one I could find that didnt have hairy armpits :r:r:r
http://www.worldcupgirls.com/wp-content/gallery/greek-soccer-girls/greeksoccergirl6.jpg

Is that Effie?

kazzaca
06-19-2010, 10:38 AM
would this Argentinian guy be her brother?

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/images/knappeargentijn.jpg

It's Maradona! ;)

Don Fernando
06-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Nah, if it was Maradona, he would have a cigar in his mouth too

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00705/maradona_280x390_705526a.jpg

http://cdn.epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/maradona-cigar-venezuela-sm.jpg

http://www.etoday.ru/uploads/2008/10/31/maradona_cigar_and_che_guevara_tattoo.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/12/article-1112843-028DE7D80000044D-195_233x384_popup.jpg

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/oct2008/4/7/48C1B720-D550-CC82-EC6D9EF7A6CF98BF.jpg

and this is a funny story (january 2009) about Maradona and his cigar

His love of gigantic Cuban cigars is almost as well-documented as his legendary footballing prowess.

But football icon Diego Maradona's smoking habit has been blamed for triggering the fire alarm at a luxury hotel in Manchester that forced 200 guests to be evacuated.

Among the well-heeled guests left shivering outside the Radisson Edwardian hotel in sub-zero temperatures early on Sunday morning was the entire Chelsea team, who were there to play Manchester Utd later that day.

Maradona, the current Argentina coach and one of the world's greatest ever players, had been staying on the 14th floor of the hotel.

Today mystery surrounded the alarm which forced Chelsea stars John Terry, Joe Cole and Frank Lampard to stand for 40 minutes in the freezing temperatures.

An eyewitness told The Sun: "I saw most of Chelsea outside shivering. It wasn't the best preparation for a vital game."

Officially a spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire Service said that the alarm had been due to a fault with the system.

But a fireman at the scene told The Sun that the alarm had been activated because Maradona, 48, and his entourage had been smoking cigars in their rooms.

Today, the hotel's manager, Steven Miles, also denied that the football star had caused the alarm.

Radisson Edwardian

The luxury Radisson Edwardian hotel in Manchester where Chelsea players were evacuated following a fire alarm on Saturday

After their early morning wake-up call Chelsea went on to be beaten 3-0 by Manchester Utd at Old Trafford later that day.

Maradona was in town to cast his eye over Manchester United player Carlos Tevez, but the 24-year-old striker did not take part in the game.

Believed by some to be the greatest footballer to ever play the game - better even than Pele - Diego Maradona has led a rather eventful life.

The star of the Argentina team that won the 1986 World Cup Maradona gained notoriety for his 'Hand of God' goal against England when he punched the ball into the net.

In an interview afterwards he said the goal had been a result of 'a little bit of the head of Maradona and a little bit the hand of God.'

He was suspended from football for 15 months in 1991 after failing a doping test for cocaine in Italy and was sent home from the 1994 World Cup in disgrace for taking steroids.

After retiring from football Maradona ballooned in size and only survived due to a stomach-stapling operation in 2005.

An icon in Argentina he now has his own TV chat show and was a controversial choice to be the national team's new manager earlier this year.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1112843/Did-Maradonas-cigar-spark-early-morning-alarm-Chelsea-teams-hotel.html#ixzz0rJwATzHa

md4958
06-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Nah, if it was Maradona, he would have a cigar in his mouth too

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00705/maradona_280x390_705526a.jpg

http://cdn.epltalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/maradona-cigar-venezuela-sm.jpg

http://www.etoday.ru/uploads/2008/10/31/maradona_cigar_and_che_guevara_tattoo.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/01/12/article-1112843-028DE7D80000044D-195_233x384_popup.jpg

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/oct2008/4/7/48C1B720-D550-CC82-EC6D9EF7A6CF98BF.jpg

and this is a funny story (january 2009) about Maradona and his cigar

looks like hes a fan of RyJ

Don Fernando
06-19-2010, 12:15 PM
and Cohiba

MarkinAZ
06-19-2010, 12:43 PM

The diversity in the World Cup program. You don't have to be qualified...

This ref apparently was more than qualified... he just blew some calls. I heard he had ref'd the African World of Nations Cup, and some other high profile matches.

I didn't see the controversial call, but was it the Ref from Mali or the AR on the touch line who made the call? The person who would have the best line for the offside call would be the AR, and the AR could possibly overturn the Refs call...

md4958
06-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Go South Africa!!

GreekGodX
06-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the pic, Moe :) Unfortunately no more Greece :( At least we held Messi scoreless. I'm so disappointed. I feel like I wasted 2.5 hours watching today. Hopefully Greece can build on their performance and bounce back in the next World Cup.

Mugen910
06-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the pic, Moe :) Unfortunately no more Greece :( At least we held Messi scoreless. I'm so disappointed. I feel like I wasted 2.5 hours watching today. Hopefully Greece can build on their performance and bounce back in the next World Cup.

Maybe they should recruit you as an Enforcer type player Christos ;)

3SmokesaRound
06-22-2010, 11:24 PM
U.S. predictions for tomorrow?

Mine... 2-0 U.S. Altidore and Donovan get the goals.

kazzaca
06-23-2010, 09:03 AM
If the US doesn't get into the next round it will be a joke...that's 2 perfectly good goals disallowed...

Don Fernando
06-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Justice!

De Bleekere used to be one of the best refs in Europe, but he lost it. Disallowing that goal was a joke, just like the red card for that Algerian player (other players were protesting, not the captain)

hotreds
06-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Glad someone on the USA team finally realized the object is to get the ball into the net when looking at an empty one, not shoot beside it!

Blueface
06-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Glad someone on the USA team finally realized the object is to get the ball into the net when looking at an empty one, not shoot beside it!

Man this game made me sweat.
Unreal the opportunities missed.

In the end, the US came out on top of their bracket. Who would have given them a chance out of it, let alone to end up on top of it.

Blueface
06-23-2010, 10:10 AM
and Cohiba

....and murderers.

Here he is with a Cohiba.

Seems he is a big fan of Fidel and Chavez also.
Great, super guy.:rolleyes:

Ever the provocateur, soccer legend Diego Maradona says he wants to add a new face to his tattoo collection — which already features the visages of Fidel Castro and Che Guevara — la jeta de Hugo Chávez:
Diego Maradona said today that he wishes to get a tattoo of the president of Venezuela, Hugo Chávez, after having branded his skin with the faces of Cuban leader Fidel Castro and Argentine-Cuban guerrillero Ernesto “Che” Guevara.

Mugen910
06-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Now that is was a game!

MortonMilo
06-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Best sports moment I've seen in a long time.
USA USA USA!

homerjay19
06-23-2010, 10:20 AM
The US game was intense...looking forward to the Ghana Germany game later this afternoon.

Smokin Gator
06-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Usa goal!!!!

St. Lou Stu
06-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Wow

hotreds
06-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Anybody watched any of the WC on their cellphones? Wondering how that looks?

marge796
06-23-2010, 02:08 PM
:usa Congratulations Team USA!!! :usa

Smokin Gator
06-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Usa goal!!!!

I just figured out something that may give you a laugh... I will preface it by saying I am such a dumb arse...

I was watching the USA game earlier and as soon as we scored I posted the above. Later as I was rereading the posts and couldn't figure out how others had posted about the USA result before me... Yep... I was watching the match recorded on DVR!!!

TheRiddick
06-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Justice!

De Bleekere used to be one of the best refs in Europe, but he lost it. Disallowing that goal was a joke, just like the red card for that Algerian player (other players were protesting, not the captain)

He lost it a while back when he pretty much eliminated Chelsea versus Barca with his bad calls. Have no idea where FIFA finds these jokers. I predicted balls calls today 3-4 days ago when FIFA announced he would be refereeing USA game to "atone" for the Mali clown in last one.

Don Fernando
06-23-2010, 04:58 PM
I just figured out something that may give you a laugh... I will preface it by saying I am such a dumb arse...

I was watching the USA game earlier and as soon as we scored I posted the above. Later as I was rereading the posts and couldn't figure out how others had posted about the USA result before me... Yep... I was watching the match recorded on DVR!!!

MarkinAZ
06-23-2010, 05:11 PM
Unlike Brent, I was watching the USA v Algeria game "live" this morning up to the last 30 min, and then had to hit the road. Fortunately, I turned-on ESPN radio and caught the remaining excitement, including the goal, which almost made me loose control of the car on the 5 freeway. I'm sure several motorist saw me fist pumping inside the car:r

TheRiddick
06-23-2010, 06:37 PM
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2496/malireferee.jpg

My apology for questioning FIFA referee selection process, they seem to be an equal opportunity employer after all. Mali ref at the USA Slovenia match...

Don Fernando
06-24-2010, 09:53 AM
goodbye Italy, who would have thought that before the WC?

gvarsity
06-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Interesting how a lot of the big European teams are doing poorly. France last in their group winless and Gone. Italy in trouble about to be Gone. Spain losing to the Swiss. Germany losing to Serbia. England tying the U.S. and Algeria. The big European teams are looking vulnerable. The only teams holding their own is the Netherlands and Portugal a team historically the most likely to fold up with dominant talent.

On the other hand South American teams are looking outstanding particularly Argentina. Still Brazil is Brazil, Uruguay looks tough, Paraguay is playing well, Chile is playing well and they are all leading their groups. Five of eight groups are lead by South American teams and the other three groups don't have a South American team.

TheRiddick
06-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Both Argentina and Brasil profited from obvious and blatant non-calls by referees (hand balls), but hey, who's counting. Once both are in knock out stages we'll see if they actually play better than EU teams. I wonder if FIFA will now institute a "Hand of God" trophy for the most inventive hand ball play...

The ref discussing Fabiano's hand ball with the player seconds after allowing it to stand (smiles and all) is the most disgusting moment of the WC so far. I am sure its not the last one, either.

St. Lou Stu
06-25-2010, 09:30 AM
http://www.viddler.com/explore/cheezburger/videos/493/

kazzaca
06-25-2010, 11:39 AM
The ref discussing Fabiano's hand ball with the player seconds after allowing it to stand (smiles and all) is the most disgusting moment of the WC so far. I am sure its not the last one, either.

I agree...I can't believe that the media didn't make a bigger deal about that. There was barely any mention of it anywhere in the British media and was hardly mentioned in the media here either. Crazy!

TheRiddick
06-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Fabiano handled TWICE on that same play. OK, maybe the 4 officials did not see one handball, but all four then missing a second one as well? What are the odds of that?

And then Fabiano and Maradona get into a verbal spat over whose was really the "hand of God" and FIFA still doesn't do crap.

It breaks anyone's mental and then physical state when you realize you are playing against a ref. Same thing happened to USA guys in Algir game, Dempsey's face said it all for the last 20 odd minutes and his body showed general dismissive/disinterested attitude, he simply moved with no emotion.

Had both Brazil and Argentine's first goals in both games not stood (correctly so, both being obvious hand balls instantly replayed on giant screens at both stadiums for refs to double check IF they wanted to), both games would most likely end on a different note, I am sure. Both opponents were playing pretty organized game up to that point and in both cases the game changed on the dime right after.

Don Fernando
06-25-2010, 02:27 PM
are you sure that the images were replayed? As that is against FIFA regulations. Images of fouls, offside etc etc aren't allowed to be shown on the stadium screens.

TheRiddick
06-25-2010, 03:59 PM
I am not absolutely sure, but you can see those in the stadium watching the screens right after goals. What do the screens show, then, save for ads and the crowd? Interestingly enough, we do not see the screen on TV, either.

Let's say I am wrong on this point, no big deal to me, do you agree with both goals being counted when we can clearly see hand balls on TV screens (on the plays themselves, not just replays) and all 4 officials not seeing both? I was saying "Handball!" to myself, before any replays were played, we're talking old, smallish TV screen here without high resolution.

And in case of Fabiano there is absolutely no doubt the ref has seen the handball as he gleefully discussed it with the player right after, smile and all. Who said bribery of refs is dead (in whatever shape/form it takes place)? Actually, Fabiano played handball twice to his advantage, on same play no less, as I pointed out above.

Ghana will be a tough game without a FIFA/ref playing favorites, but then again Ghana is the only African team left and something tells me the deck is going to be stacked yet again.

I just hope we get a decent ref tomorrow, for a change. Two in a row is brutal, 3 in a row is a kiss of death. FIFA is obviously stacking the deck against USA so far all the while claiming the sport brings people together? I guess only vodka does that.

pnoon
06-25-2010, 07:27 PM
I am not absolutely sure, but you can see those in the stadium watching the screens right after goals. What do the screens show, then, save for ads and the crowd? Interestingly enough, we do not see the screen on TV, either.

Let's say I am wrong on this point, no big deal to me, do you agree with both goals being counted when we can clearly see hand balls on TV screens (on the plays themselves, not just replays) and all 4 officials not seeing both? I was saying "Handball!" to myself, before any replays were played, we're talking old, smallish TV screen here without high resolution.

And in case of Fabiano there is absolutely no doubt the ref has seen the handball as he gleefully discussed it with the player right after, smile and all. Who said bribery of refs is dead (in whatever shape/form it takes place)? Actually, Fabiano played handball twice to his advantage, on same play no less, as I pointed out above.

Ghana will be a tough game without a FIFA/ref playing favorites, but then again Ghana is the only African team left and something tells me the deck is going to be stacked yet again.

I just hope we get a decent ref tomorrow, for a change. Two in a row is brutal, 3 in a row is a kiss of death. FIFA is obviously stacking the deck against USA so far all the while claiming the sport brings people together? I guess only vodka does that.

Maybe you should tune into figure skating instead. :2

chippewastud79
06-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Nice article and video I just read/watched. Pretty cool to see the reactions for around the country. :tu

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/student-s-video-tribute-to-donovan-a-hit--fbintl_ro-videodonovan062510.html

pnoon
06-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Nice article and video I just read/watched. Pretty cool to see the reactions for around the country. :tu

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/student-s-video-tribute-to-donovan-a-hit--fbintl_ro-videodonovan062510.html

Terrific. Thanks for posting this, Adam.

TheRiddick
06-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Maybe you should tune into figure skating instead. :2

Do you really think judges there are any better? I am not the only one questioning FIFA's political correctness in allowing refs from non-soccer leagues (have no idea what else to call them) to be on the big stage. Ever see that in any other sport? Oh, right, figure skating...

I am guessing you never played organized soccer?

pnoon
06-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Do you really think judges there are any better? I am not the only one questioning FIFA's political correctness in allowing refs from non-soccer leagues (have no idea what else to call them) to be on the big stage. Ever see that in any other sport? Oh, right, figure skating...

I am guessing you never played organized soccer?

Not only have I played but I've officiated for 12 years and taught introductory and intermediate referee classes.

But what the hell do I know?

My point is that if you are so disgusted and put off by it all, turn the sport off and go watch something else.

TheRiddick
06-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Its World Cup, what do you mean turn the TV off?

MortonMilo
06-25-2010, 10:22 PM
It's all very subjective in terms of making the calls. FIFA's wording in a lot of the rules are purposely vague to allow discretion to be used in making calls. Sometimes a handball isn't a handball.

pnoon
06-25-2010, 10:24 PM
It's all very subjective in terms of making the calls. FIFA's wording in a lot of the rules are purposely vague to allow discretion to be used in making calls. Sometimes a handball isn't a handball.

To which "rules" are you referring?

Mugen910
06-25-2010, 10:49 PM

That was F*ckin awesome!

Don Fernando
06-26-2010, 01:29 AM

Goals are allowed to be shown, fouls etc are not. I know because there was a lot of discussion and the rules were made after the worldcup for club teams in 1995 where my team Ajax beat Gremio and a Gremio player got send off because of a replay on the stadion screens. First (and last) time that ever happened.

No doubt about some major **** up's by the refs. But it is a fast game on a large pitch with split second decisions, and those old FIFA farts won't allow replays or technical help. You can't blame the ref for all bad calls.

yeah, that was weird and discussed at the Dutch football talkshows, nobody understands.

On the other hand, the FIFA wants to grow in the US, so they might make up for previous ****ups and pick their side.

Superbad
06-26-2010, 07:36 AM
Go USA! I can't wait for the game to start.

md4958
06-26-2010, 03:04 PM
What a shame... Looks like Im rooting for Argentina now.

On the bright side, Ive discovered the joys of watching the games on the Spanish channel. Out of desperation (the streaming signal kept going out) I found the game online in Spanish. Yes, I have no clue what they are saying (sounds mostly like players names to me) but at least I dont have to listen to those irritating ESPN commentators. Those guys irk the chit out of me... doesnt it seem like the are constantly looking for useless banter to jabber on about?

Apoco
06-26-2010, 03:08 PM
<vuvuzela>BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ</vuvuzela>

Ok, USA. You've won me over. I won't run screaming from the room when futbol/soccer comes on now.

Superbad
06-26-2010, 03:13 PM
What a game! Sad we lost, but I am glad US Socer has gained more fans.

MortonMilo
06-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Regardless of the outcome, the patriotism beats strong in my heart.

md4958
06-26-2010, 03:21 PM
Regardless of the outcome, the patriotism beats strong in my heart.

Watch that video Adam posted, it brought tears of pride to my eyes!

hotreds
06-26-2010, 07:10 PM

On the bright side, Ive discovered the joys of watching the games on the Spanish channel. Out of desperation (the streaming signal kept going out) I found the game online in Spanish. Yes, I have no clue what they are saying (sounds mostly like players names to me) but at least I dont have to listen to those irritating ESPN commentators. Those guys irk the chit out of me... doesnt it seem like the are constantly looking for useless banter to jabber on about?

I actually think ESPN has done a good job. However, back when I had my bud(big ugly dish) I'd search the skies for backhaul feeds and watch the games in Italian- some great announcers there! I find the endless "gooooal" yell to be a bit old, now, frankly. I don't know about now, but back in the day the Italians didn't even use the term "goal." They said "rete" for "net."

Don Fernando
06-27-2010, 02:32 AM

:fl and I thought we were friends Moe, and that you would support The Netherlands now that Italy and the USA are eliminated.

;)

DMK
06-27-2010, 09:00 AM
:c Rant on...

Three words for the bastids at FIFA...
GOAL LINE TECNOLOGY

Either get video or officials who aren't on the take....:td:bh

:c Rant off...:rolleyes:

Don Fernando
06-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Germany finally got pay back for 1966

pnoon
06-27-2010, 09:45 AM

GOAL LINE TECNOLOGY

:c Rant off...
That's hilarious.

TheRiddick
06-27-2010, 10:14 AM

GOAL LINE TECNOLOGY

:c Rant off...:rolleyes:

If you don't like officiating, then turn off the TV... /s
Don, did you see Lampard looking up at TV screen immediately after the "non-goal"? IIRC, USA did score a goal on that (imaginary foul) play and it was shown on stadium TVs as well. Too bad refs refuse to stand up for their errors.

Germany look good, hate to say it, they don't seem to show much, but then have these moments of brilliance and that is what counts in the end. Terry, Lampard and Barry lost the game today, never liked them before and still don't like their lazy attitudes. Where was Terry on all 4 goals? Lampard, at least played, for a change. Barry should have been left at home, have no idea why teams were fighting last year to sign him. Gerrard was playing out of position, he should have played behind Rooney and Joe Cole should have played on the left. Oh well...

bobarian
06-27-2010, 10:29 AM
That's hilarious.

:tpd: Linesman was in the exact position he should have been, looking for offsides.

England looked like a bunch of 40yr olds. Rooney who?

Don Fernando
06-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Don, did you see Lampard looking up at TV screen immediately after the "non-goal"? IIRC, USA did score a goal on that (imaginary foul) play and it was shown on stadium TVs as well. Too bad refs refuse to stand up for their errors.

No, I wasn't watching the game. But it could be that the footage is shown, maybe FIFA changed the rules for the world cup, all I know is that it's not allowed to show those kind of images (questionable calls, fouls, offside etc) during the games in the national competitions and during the games of the national teams in qualification rounds.

forgop
06-27-2010, 12:12 PM
I think I hold the same opinion of soccer as Allen Iverson holds of practice if anyone happened to catch that question a few years back. I think I can handle watching worlds strongest man competitions on espn as easily as I can watch soccer. ;)

TheRiddick
06-27-2010, 12:28 PM
:tpd: Linesman was in the exact position he should have been, looking for offsides.

England looked like a bunch of 40yr olds. Rooney who?

Bob, I do agree with your remark about 40 year olds, but Rooney?

How can a striker do anything without a ball? England's mids were atrocious though all 4 games. At about 60 minutes mark today Rooney actually had people passing the ball to him and if you replay those few minutes you will see just how quickly he changed the game with his passing the ball to others. When you see a striker play deep into defensive end you know the mids are not doing their job. Unfortunately, he was mostly ignored in all the games and time after time mids passed the ball to anyone else but Rooney, I'll be happy to watch the games with you and point each and every pass AWAY from Rooney even when he was open and in strike position.

Watch United games and see how many times a game he gets the ball, Valencia is usually able to create on the right and get the ball to Rooney, Scoles/Carrick through the middle and Giggs/Evra/Nani (when he is on his game) do from the left. Bottom line, when he has service he scores a lot and on par with any striker around. Too bad Chelsea/ManCity guys have no clue and no pride. Or rather Capello has no clue after seeing prior World Cup and Euros where Lampard/Gerrard/Cole/Terry played same old, same old (as in slow, disinterested and blind). How many goals were Terry's errors this WC? Almost all? Looks like he was spending most of his time looking over his teammates' wives and GFs in the stand to figure out who he is bedding tonight. Do you really think the team has unity now with him around? Yes, I know they insist they do. Right (as they nervously check where their wives and GFs are in proximity to Terry).

Terry finally proved that it is not him cementing the back line for England, it has been Rio all along while Terry took all the credit.

Place blame where its due, Rooney had nothing to do with anything in WC. I'd like to see how much both Barca and Real are ready to pay for this supposed "failure" as so many are ready to paint him.

Anyway, listen to any serious player out there and they will tell you they want Rooney on their team. There is a reason for that.

Blame Cappelo for his team selection and Terry for distrust within the team. Its a good start.

bobarian
06-27-2010, 12:42 PM
I agree that Rooney's service was terrible, but the few times he did get the ball with space his shots were just not up to what he has done for his club. Strange how club and country are so different. I also dont understand Podolski and Klose, they play so well in International play but are non factors in league.
Oh well, let's see if Argentina can hold off Mexico. Argentina/Germany would be a great matchup.

TheRiddick
06-27-2010, 01:00 PM
UNFRIGGING BELIEVABLE!!!!

Tevez non-goal now.

Why even play, let the refs decide before the game who "wins" and every one head over to the nearest pub...

TheRiddick
06-27-2010, 01:13 PM
I agree that Rooney's service was terrible, but the few times he did get the ball with space his shots were just not up to what he has done for his club. Strange how club and country are so different. I also dont understand Podolski and Klose, they play so well in International play but are non factors in league.
Oh well, let's see if Argentina can hold off Mexico. Argentina/Germany would be a great matchup.

Rooney played well in the qualifying games. In his defense all I can tell you is that when you don't get service for 3 games and then fourth game starts the same way, by the time you, all of a sudden, see the ball your mind is already messed up. They only involved him for a few minutes today, again.

As for both Podolski and Klose, again bad coaching IMO. They were not allowed to play much, especially Klose and I never understood that (save for their disagreements with the coach's ego). Sure, Klose is older, but he still has world class speed and on the ball ability (as shown again today against Terry and Upson). Podolski once again showed he is better than Ribery, IMO. Germany are still viable in this WC and anyone playing against them should not underestimate them.

DMK
06-27-2010, 01:18 PM

Tevez non-goal now.

Why even play, let the refs decide before the game who "wins" and every one head over to the nearest pub...

Superbad
06-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Crazy officiating at this WC!

TheRiddick
06-27-2010, 01:37 PM

Guess you missed prior Peter's comment to me. Do you see the /s (sarcasm) ending to my post? Read prior posts...

Don Fernando
06-27-2010, 04:27 PM

Tevez non-goal now.

and now I noticed the Mexican coach react to the replay on the screen, appearantly they show the replays on the screens at the stadium. That's new and against what the FIFA always preached.

TheRiddick
06-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Ferdinand, do you really think Blatter plays by the rules? He has been a disgrace for years now with stupid ramblings and "rules". And unfortunately, he will be re-elected yet again since all the "Third World" soccer nations have him implement rules that benefit them in some way. Maybe its time for another governing body to be set up and pronto, similar to how a new European league will be sometime soon judging by how Platini is screwing up as well (a la Blatter).

ucla695
06-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Crazy officiating at this WC!

That's for sure. At least the USA isn't the only one getting screwed over.

Don Fernando
06-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Ferdinand, do you really think Blatter plays by the rules? He has been a disgrace for years now with stupid ramblings and "rules". And unfortunately, he will be re-elected yet again since all the "Third World" soccer nations have him implement rules that benefit them in some way. Maybe its time for another governing body to be set up and pronto, similar to how a new European league will be sometime soon judging by how Platini is screwing up as well (a la Blatter).

No Blatter doesn't play by the rules. If it wasn't for that corrupt old fart, we would have had electronic supports for the refs years ago. He's the one that keeps forbidding that, just like showing the images in the stadiums, that's why this surprises me a lot.

Don Fernando
06-28-2010, 06:59 AM
http://af.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idAFJOE65R0KH20100628

"This shouldn't happen," FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot told a news conference. "Replays can be shown but not when there are controversial situations. We will work on this and be tighter in future."

md4958
06-28-2010, 07:40 AM
http://af.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idAFJOE65R0KH20100628
"Replays can be shown but not when there are controversial situations.

So whats the effing point???

Don Fernando
06-28-2010, 08:35 AM
the point is that this is proof for what I said earlier (and that the FIFA isn't following their own rules). Greg and I talked about this earlier in the topic, and this confirms what I said to Greg before.

md4958
06-28-2010, 08:52 AM
the point is that this is proof for what I said earlier (and that the FIFA isn't following their own rules). Greg and I talked about this earlier in the topic, and this confirms what I said to Greg before.

I dont mean whats YOUR point Ferdie... I mean what is the point in having a system to review plays except the ones that need reviewing the most??

Thats like having a bathroom in your office that you can use anytime, except when you NEED it.

ChicagoWhiteSox
06-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Man I got a kick outa this:r
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVim7rjfKOQ

Don Fernando
06-28-2010, 09:43 AM
I dont mean whats YOUR point Ferdie... I mean what is the point in having a system to review plays except the ones that need reviewing the most??

Thats like having a bathroom in your office that you can use anytime, except when you NEED it.

ah ok, I misunderstood :)

well, the point is that the poor countries don't want the use of electronics as they can't afford it, so Blatter buys their votes by promising that electronics won't be allowed if they vote for him, so he can maintain his position as Mafifa president.

bobarian
06-28-2010, 10:47 AM
This is the much like the rule the NFL has regarding stadium replays. Most plays are replayed on the big screen but anything borderline controversial is not allowed. But I think this is a minor issue, showing he replay in stadium has nothing to do with implementing technology for certain situations in major competitions. If it were limited to the goal line in the WC, Euro Cup, etc, it would be helpful in settling unjust situations. I think the offside's plays would be much harder to include. :2

fhrblig
06-28-2010, 11:20 AM
This is the much like the rule the NFL has regarding stadium replays. Most plays are replayed on the big screen but anything borderline controversial is not allowed. But I think this is a minor issue, showing he replay in stadium has nothing to do with implementing technology for certain situations in major competitions. If it were limited to the goal line in the WC, Euro Cup, etc, it would be helpful in settling unjust situations. I think the offside's plays would be much harder to include. :2

Well, the NFL breaks that rule sometimes, too. Although I admit, I kind of enjoy hearing the entire crowd react to a bad call on a replay (like the Ed Hochuli incident). Of course, in that case it helped that I'm a Broncos fan... :r

Now that the US is out, I'm following my usual pattern of rooting for any and all underdogs. Anything that would make for an unexpected final would be nice. Go Chile!

mithrilG60
06-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Man I got a kick outa this:r
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVim7rjfKOQ

Google "funny rugby commerical" for a similar take that's just as hilarious (I don't want to post it here as it'll drag the thread off topic).

kazzaca
06-28-2010, 08:14 PM
FIFA is a joke...every other sport has evolved with the times and uses technology to prevent errors. FIFA just says 'even with technology mistakes are made' and uses that as an excuse to not do anything about it.

Thankfully the games today weren't ruined by any big mistakes.

Portugal v Spain tomorrow should be a good one!

Don Fernando
06-29-2010, 02:25 AM
The Netherlands game wasn't ruined, but with the use of footage that penalty would never have been given.

TheRiddick
06-29-2010, 11:03 AM

Ferdinand, latest BS from FIFA is that supposedly and according to them, it is up to local soccer organization to be in charge of Jumbotrons during games, thus, FIFA's excuse is that SA organizers "broke" the rule. I did not argue with you rpoint about the rule, simply pointed out that replays were being shown, rules or no rules. No issue on my side.

What I find really appalling, though, is FIFA's latest stance on the England and Mexican (especially Tevez's replay) non-calls. FIFA stated there are sorry the replays were shown, but then in that same statement did not offer any apology for the mistakes themselves.

Blatter is being re-elected time and again by all the third world leagues, for obvious reasons. As I discussed with another local yesterday, the entire WC format must change. Why are teams such as North Korea playing while those from, say, Russia, Norway, Sweden, Romania and a number of others stay home? Why I am watching New Zealand play when I know Sweden will play a MUCH better game? FIFA needs to use world rankings a few months prior to WC and Top 32 teams are allowed to play in the tournament. No more "weak" teams. Same for refs, select top ones, Colina should have stayed eligible for as long as he is fit, best ref I have seen ever. I am over 50 now, but still keep up with young bucks indoors and out, why are refs limited to 45 YO? Stupid decision, IMO. Do you think Colina would have allowed these goals to stand?

Arghhh...

Don Fernando
06-29-2010, 11:19 AM
I know you did not argue with me on this point Greg, I just stumbled upon this and provided it as a support to what I said earlier.

Ofcourse the MaFifa is blaming it on the local FA, but that is BS as this tournament isn't played under the South African FA flag but under the FIFA flag. But the MaFIfa is never wrong, we all know that [add sarcastic smile here]

TheRiddick
06-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Russian News today (I am watching as I type) are really covering the subject, replays games from past events as well.

Blatter has to go, there is no argument left for him to retain the seat. And Platino should as well, IMO. Start with new blood and change things. The only way to improve the game is make sure only top teams participate. What does anyone care if North Korea fans watched the cup at home or not? Would FIFA sell more seats if that same Brazil played Sweden instead?

Hopefully Spain vs Portugal won't be affected by officiating, although I will bet that Portugese players will spend at least 15% of it play acting and rolling on the grass. Spain? Maybe 5-10%. Anyone recall any BS like that in the England/Germany game?

Don Fernando
06-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I agree that there should be a new qualification system, but doing it based on the world ranking isn't fair to the lower ranked team. Slovakia wouldn't have qualified, yet they reached the 2nd round and kicked Italy out of the tournament.

I would rather see a system like with (ice)hockey or the Davis Cup, with a promotion/relegation system. The top teams are qualified for the worldgroup, and the lesser teams can promote to that group if they preform well in qualifiers.

ps: from the 32 countries that started in this worldcup, 26 are in the top 32. Sweden isn't even in the top 32.

BigAsh
06-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Hopefully Spain vs Portugal won't be affected by officiating, although I will bet that Portugese players will spend at least 15% of it play acting and rolling on the grass. Spain? Maybe 5-10%. Anyone recall any BS like that in the England/Germany game?

Hey we're an emotional people! :D

mithrilG60
06-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I would rather see a system like with (ice)hockey or the Davis Cup, with a promotion/relegation system. The top teams are qualified for the worldgroup, and the lesser teams can promote to that group if they preform well in qualifiers.

Or a fixed system where the top 12 or 16 ranked teams at a predetermined cutoff time automatically qualify and the remaining berths are allocated equally per geographical area for regional qualification tournaments thus ensuring a truly global representation at the World Cup.

Don Fernando
06-29-2010, 01:17 PM

I can see you dive to the dirt and start rolling with tears in your eyes at EPIC too, when someone comes close to you with a hand delivered bomb.

BigAsh
06-29-2010, 01:20 PM
I can see you dive to the dirt and start rolling with tears in your eyes at EPIC too, when someone comes close to you with a hand delivered bomb.

grabbing my knee too!....hahaha....:r....no dirt rollin' for me....now you on the other hand....:D

TheRiddick
06-29-2010, 01:32 PM

I owe you a sincere apology! Seems Torres has been usurping most of both teams' time with theatrical falls and lots of hand flailing... What a clown and a waste of a talent, IMO. Just suck it up and play.

So far, Portugal seems to have an edge in my book. Let's see how second half goes. Shame that only one of these may be playing Brazil. Looking at the brackets again, Brazill has only one real contender on their side, Dutch. And then 4 top notch teams have to knock each other out on the other side: Germany, Argentina, Spain and Portugal.

md4958
06-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Blatter released a statement today

Blatter said Tuesday that FIFA deplores "when you see the evidence of refereeing mistakes." It would be "a nonsense" not to consider changes, he said.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5338733/ce/us/sepp-blatter-says-fifa-reopen-file-replay?cc=5901&ver=us

Don Fernando
06-29-2010, 02:16 PM
I owe you a sincere apology! Seems Torres has been usurping most of both teams' time with theatrical falls and lots of hand flailing... What a clown and a waste of a talent, IMO. Just suck it up and play.

So far, Portugal seems to have an edge in my book. Let's see how second half goes. Shame that only one of these may be playing Brazil..

Nobody will be playing Brazil in the semis!

Don Fernando
06-29-2010, 02:17 PM
grabbing my knee too!....hahaha....:r....no dirt rollin' for me....now you on the other hand....:D

I will wear wooden shoes and give you something to cry about :D

TheRiddick
06-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Great game and yet another BS call, a mythical elbow thrown. Spanish defender kept touching his head, time after time, in faint hopes that blood will start dripping at some point from a "wound" that never was. Unreal.
Moe,

In regard to Blatter's statement, read it carefully: "... FIFA deplores "when you see the evidence of refereeing mistakes." What Blatter deplores is the fact that refs and FIFA got caught, not that refs made mistakes. What an idiot...

md4958
06-29-2010, 02:46 PM
he has been ruining FIFA for a decade now. He's a day late and a dollar short... hes already apologized to Mexico and England... I believe he owes apologies to USA, Italy, and Klose, Kaka, and the list goes on and on and on.

Perhaps the answer is not replays on every play... but maybe the individual teams can have two "challenges" per game. I wouldnt mind seeing something like that in place.

Don Fernando
06-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Spains goal was offside too.

md4958
06-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Spains goal was offside too.
just add portugal to the list too ferdie

Don Fernando
06-29-2010, 03:09 PM
and Holland, the penalty yesterday wasn't a foul. Good thing we still won.

I must admit that the offside of Villa was hard to see for the linesman and the ref.

md4958
06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
and Holland, the penalty yesterday wasn't a foul. Good thing we still won.

I must admit that the offside of Villa was hard to see for the linesman and the ref.

and apparently the TV too, cause they didnt mention it the entire match

Don Fernando
06-29-2010, 05:17 PM
they mentioned it here on Dutch tv.

TheRiddick
06-30-2010, 12:49 AM
Worst cup I can recall. How many games were decided by the refs so far? And in the worst way...

Don Fernando
06-30-2010, 02:38 AM
It happened at every worldcup. 1966 for example, when England 'scored' that goal against Germany in he final that wasn't a goal. 1986 Maradona's 'hand of god' and I can recall a quarter final Brazil vs The Netherlands in 1994, when Brazil beat us 3-2 with one offside goal and one free kick goal that wasn't a foul at all.

Pass
06-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Agreed. Every Cup has several games decided by refs. With the passion that most nations place behind their team and soccer in general, it is impossible to find a ref who doesn't have some sort of bias.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that the US has had at least 1 disallowed goal in every Cup. This time we had, what? 3 or 4? The officiating is beyond horrible and Blatter can no longer excuse NOT using tech during the World Cup. How many times this Cup alone have we watched the better team leave the tournament? It's disgraceful!!!

...Now that that's off of my chest. I'm prepping my celebration stogie list for when Germany defeats Argentina, then Spain, and if there is a soccer God out there watching over us, Deutschland will go on to beat the Netherlands in the final.

Yeah, I said it... Netherlands. I want the Dutchmen to beat Brazil. Sooooooooooooo sick of them! Plus a Match between Netherlands and Germany would be EPIC due to their tactics and efficient play styles. Plus we won't have to hear about Messi, Ronaldo, or Kaka anymore. lol.

TheRiddick
06-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey, we can dream... I think it it will be Argentina versus Brazil in the final no matter how much I dislike the idea.

Pass
06-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Hey, we can dream... I think it it will be Argentina versus Brazil in the final no matter how much I dislike the idea.

I would actually predict Brazil v Spain. Argentina has looked like utter garbage behind the ball and Spain are masters of ball possession. So much so that they scored on the team that was considered to be the hardest in the world to put goals on. Argentina is a straight up attack squad, but with Spain having a solid back field and capable of holding 80% of the possession against top teams, I suspect that they will likely top Argentina if they meet in the Semis.

kazzaca
06-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I also think it will be a Spain v Brazil final...Argentina's defense isn't so good and I think Spain (or maybe even Germany) will be able to capitalize on it.

Don Fernando
06-30-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm hoping for Spain vs The Netherlands. Can't stand Brazil, not their national team nor their tobacco ;)

Pass
06-30-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm hoping for Spain vs The Netherlands. Can't stand Brazil, not their national team nor their tobacco ;)

Yeah, I'd fear Germany too! lol ;)

landhoney
07-02-2010, 09:52 AM
The Netherlands wins! Wow.

Don Fernando
What a way to start the weekend! I'm shaking like a Parkinson patient

ade06
Wow!!! Bye bye Brazil

ade06
07-02-2010, 09:53 AM
What a way to start the weekend! I'm shaking like a Parkinson patient

Might help if you put down the booze.

Pass
07-02-2010, 09:54 AM
The dutchmen take it away from Brazil 2-1!! Great game!

Didn't look good for NED at the start... but they held it together and pulled through. Brazil got flustered and began to crumble. NED held tight through it all! It will be great to see NED in the finals as I don't think that Ghana or Uruguay can beat them.

Yo, Don Fernando! That match I mentioned earlier... It's getting closer to actually happening!

Next up... Germany needs to beat Argentina tomorrow.

Don Fernando
07-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Might help if you put down the booze.

No booze for me YET! Have to drive, alcohol & traffic don't go hand & hand.

landhoney
07-02-2010, 09:55 AM
How about a Germany vs. Netherlands final?

Don Fernando
07-02-2010, 09:58 AM
I think it will be Spain vs Netherlands.

Superbad
07-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Wahoo! Go Netherlands! I am so glad they beat Brazil!

SmokeyNL
07-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Got the booze ready for you ferdinand :D

MiamiE
07-02-2010, 10:17 AM
I am hoping for a Germany v. Netherlands!

Pass
07-02-2010, 10:20 AM
How about a Germany vs. Netherlands final?
I'm hoping for it! Go Deutschland!!!!
I think it will be Spain vs Netherlands.
...How 'bout no. LOL. The odds favor Spain v Netherlands... but my heart desires (and we all know the universe revolves around my desires) a GER V NED

I am hoping for a Germany v. Netherlands!

^^What he said.

md4958
07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Holy crap! Congrats Ferdinand!

TheRiddick
07-02-2010, 10:41 AM
I was talking with someone about the Dutch, this past Monday, and told the guy how impressed I am with their midfield, to me the best (by far) midfield in WC, everyone is fast and working non-stop. I am still not that impressed with their defense, but if mids hold up in the final this will be interesting.

Hopefully, Germans will follow suit and knock Argentina out (against my prediction). All euro final is more than fine with me...

fhrblig
07-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm hoping for Uruguay v. Paraguay in the final.

2 Guays enter, only one Guay leaves.

2 Guays, one (World) Cup.

Mugen910
07-02-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm hoping for Uruguay v. Paraguay in the final.

2 Guays enter, only one Guay leaves.

2 Guays, one (World) Cup.

:r:r

Smokin Gator
07-02-2010, 11:36 AM
I was dying to open this thread but couldn't until I finished watching the recorded match... Congrats the Netherlands!!! I didn't hold a lot of hope for them but they overcame a lot. They had Brazil so rattled it was funny!!! Congrats to Simon and Ferdie!!!

TheRiddick
07-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Ghana got what it deserved with all the acting and faking BS. Suarez, who could have and should have finished the game on at least 2 occasions in second half (how the hell do you miss from 8 feet out on an empty net?) at least redeemed himself with the hand ball. I predict at least 3-0 when Dutch take on Uruguay, have no idea how such a mediocre team makes it to semis of WC.

Pass
07-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Ghana got what it deserved with all the acting and faking BS. Suarez, who could have and should have finished the game on at least 2 occasions in second half (how the hell do you miss from 8 feet out on an empty net?) at least redeemed himself with the hand ball. I predict at least 3-0 when Dutch take on Uruguay, have no idea how such a mediocre team makes it to semis of WC.

Actually it's easier to do than you think lol. But yes... Missing that goal was terrible. The Uruguay keeper is a national hero today for those 2 saves during penalty shots.

As for how did they make it? Well, they typically play a lock down defense and rely on Forlan and Suarez to counter attack and score... While they certainly aren't the best, they're far from bad. They also got lucky with the group and bin draws... bin 1 was basically a cake walk with the exception of Brazil and Netherlands (it was a real cake for them lol). Whereas bin 2 is a nightmare.

As for the score between Uruguay and Netherlands. I won't go 3-0. But I foresee something closer to 2-1.

St. Lou Stu
07-02-2010, 09:27 PM
As for the score between Uruguay and Netherlands. I won't go 3-0. But I foresee something closer to 2-1.

Maybe, Maybe not.... I woulda never guessed Brazil lost 2-1

Pass
07-02-2010, 09:32 PM

I did... Won me $5 at work :).

Brazil just hasn't been playing that well. They also get rattled too easily, and Netherlands is pretty good at rattling the cage. It was over the minute NED scored their goal to tie it up.

Statistically speaking, Brazil "should" have won the game. But the funny thing about statistics in soccer. They're only good until kick off. There's so many mental aspects to the game :)

Tomorrow's game - GER v ARG I predict overtime. Statistically, ARG should win. However, it's hard to say how well they will play from behind if GER scores first. Germany has the discipline to pick ARG apart... provided that Germany continues to do well behind the ball and maintain possession.

TheRiddick
07-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Actually it's easier to do than you think lol. But yes... Missing that goal was terrible. The Uruguay keeper is a national hero today for those 2 saves during penalty shots.

As for how did they make it? Well, they typically play a lock down defense and rely on Forlan and Suarez to counter attack and score... While they certainly aren't the best, they're far from bad. They also got lucky with the group and bin draws... bin 1 was basically a cake walk with the exception of Brazil and Netherlands (it was a real cake for them lol). Whereas bin 2 is a nightmare.

Don't want to argue, but if you think Uruguay play lock down defense I have news for you. They will be taken apart by a decent team (I consider Ghana "4th best" of the African teams in WC), they are lucky they played Ghana.

As for missing from 8 feet out, well, I play and even I, at my old age would consider it a shame, for a professional to do so is ridiculous IMO. Not that Suarez is alone in this, Forlan was doing this crap to ManU before being shipped out (I was ripping my hair out every time he played for us). Yes, I know misses happen, but they are still inexcusable.

Pass
07-02-2010, 09:36 PM

Also, we're talking about the Semi's here... You can look for most teams to score, and then secure their lead with one more goal. Once they have it, they'll typically go into a conservative lock-down mode and try to maintain possession. Taking shots leaves you vulnerable to counter attacks. But if you keep possession of the ball and control the midfield while only taking carefully set up shots you can diminish your opponents chances on counter.

This is why you see so many teams this late in the stages with 2-1, 2-0 victories... or going to over time and penalty kicks.

Pass
07-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Don't want to argue, but if you think Uruguay play lock down defense I have news for you. They will be taken apart by a decent team (I consider Ghana "4th best" of the African teams in WC), they are lucky they played Ghana.

As for missing from 8 feet out, well, I play and even I, at my old age would consider it a shame, for a professional to do so is ridiculous IMO. Not that Suarez is alone in this, Forlan was doing this crap to ManU before being shipped out (I was ripping my hair out every time he played for us). Yes, I know misses happen, but they are still inexcusable.

Actually... they typically do. At least tactically speaking. Their line up, formation, and initial strategy all indicate lock-down (I'm not talking Switzerland lockdown here lol). Lack of communication or individual error behind the ball is their real defensive problem as I see it.

Ghana is a good team. They have a plethora of talent... and luck, apparently. Their problem is that most of their team are real young bucks with no experience. Takes time to develop a finishing touch.

Most strikers have plenty of misses that shouldn't be misses. Not every striker is David Villa. Putting that solid finishing touch on a ball (especially off of a cross) while running isn't easy. Hell, Ronaldo, Robinho, Fabiano, Messi, Higuain, Ozil, Klose chip shots all the time... and they're considered some of the best strikers in the world.

I also played, granted, I was a midfielder / stopper / and sometimes fullback, so I can't speak from a striker perspective... but I did have plenty of shots on goal and a couple of goals from 30+yrds out... but I when I got up into that 18yrd box, I had plenty of trouble with finishes.

As for Uruguay... I have no doubt that Netherlands will pick their defense apart. But I honestly don't foresee a 3-0 trouncing. I doubt that Forlan will go quietly into that good night. Plus the Dutch have discipline... I think they'll secure their victory and happily hold onto the ball while draining the clock. Why give Suarez and Forlan more shots on their goal?

TheRiddick
07-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Suarez won't even be playing. As for Forlan, I seriously doubt he'll get anywhere near scoring against Dutch midfield. We'll see...

Pass
07-03-2010, 05:40 AM
Suarez won't even be playing. As for Forlan, I seriously doubt he'll get anywhere near scoring against Dutch midfield. We'll see...

Ohhhh yeahhhh. He's out on yellows. I forgot about that :r. Uruguay is totally screwed lol.

kazzaca
07-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Well I've been saying all tournament that Argentina will get exposed defensively once they face a quality team...but wow...I didn't expect this!!!

Pass
07-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Well I've been saying all tournament that Argentina will get exposed defensively once they face a quality team...but wow...I didn't expect this!!!

Nor I!! I predicted 3-1. But 4-0!??!?!?!?! God, I love the German squad! Epic epic epic!! Just made my weekend!

...Now for Spain. I honestly hope that Paraguay wins (they won't... I know... but hey) b/c Spain will be a VERY tough match. Spain's ball possession and tendency to slow the pace of the game will really hurt. Plus David Villa is lethal in the box.

Edit: To clarify... My official prediction (in the poole at work was Overtime with Germany winning by 1)... However, once they scored I predicted 3-1.

pnoon
07-03-2010, 09:53 AM
4-0 wow!

Kreth
07-03-2010, 09:54 AM
I caught most of the second half. Germany looked strong.
Posted via Mobile Device

kazzaca
07-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Nor I!! I predicted 3-1. But 4-0!??!?!?!?! God, I love the German squad! Epic epic epic!! Just made my weekend!

...Now for Spain. I honestly hope that Paraguay wins (they won't... I know... but hey) b/c Spain will be a VERY tough match. Spain's ball possession and tendency to slow the pace of the game will really hurt. Plus David Villa is lethal in the box.

Germany's counter attack is something special. There were a couple of times when Argentina got the ball at the top of their box and I expected them to fly out and counter but they couldn't move the ball with enough speed...Germany kill their opposition in those situations. The way they move forward together is insane.

I think Spain will go through simply because they've already had their bad game. I can't see them being upset 2 times in one tournament. If they lose again I think it will be against top opposition.

TheRiddick
07-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Ohhhh yeahhhh. He's out on yellows. I forgot about that :r. Uruguay is totally screwed lol.

No, he's out on straight RED.

Pass
07-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Germany's counter attack is something special. There were a couple of times when Argentina got the ball at the top of their box and I expected them to fly out and counter but they couldn't move the ball with enough speed...Germany kill their opposition in those situations. The way they move forward together is insane.

I think Spain will go through simply because they've already had their bad game. I can't see them being upset 2 times in one tournament. If they lose again I think it will be against top opposition.

Germany is a machine! They are efficient and disciplined. The key to breaking Germany is to disrupt their rhythm. However, if you can't... once they get going they just roll over you and don't stop.

Spain will be difficult for this reason. They are ball hogs. They tend to control that ball for 70%+ time. They slow the game and disrupt formations. If Germany can capitalize on Spain's inefficient movements and disrupt their passing game then Germany can beat Spain. The midfield will truly be the key in this match, I think. And to be frank... Germany's midfield is no laughing matter. They're tough, talented, team minded, and quick.

Statistically Spain should come out on top. But I really think that Germany has what it takes to beat them and gain a spot in the finals against Netherlands!

Pass
07-03-2010, 10:11 AM
No, he's out on straight RED.

Yeah, you're right. I must be thinking of Fucile. He's out for next match as well... He was booked against Ghana and Mexico I believe.

Chingas
07-03-2010, 10:14 AM
I dig the Netherlands. Maybe cause I'm part Dutch but we'll see what happens.

TheRiddick
07-03-2010, 10:17 AM

Isn't it funny that the two best German players can't even get a game at their club. If I were their club president I would be talking to the coach in no uncertain terms right about now: Kiss their ass and make up or find another job since it is obvious it is a coach problem. Podolski Klose linkup is unreal.

If Germans play like they did today Spain is in deep trouble.

BTW, can anyone remind me why so many people were so hard on Rooney (when he rarely saw the ball to begin with) while Messi gets a free ride? What did World Player of the Year show at this WC? He looked like a little boy against determined German team, they dispossessed him of the ball at will, not that he showed much in earlier games. Same for the fabled Kun Aguero (aka Maradona's son-in-law), invisible. Tevez was their driving force all tournament long.

kazzaca
07-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Statistically Spain should come out on top. But I really think that Germany has what it takes to beat them and gain a spot in the finals against Netherlands!

They will be in for a much tougher time against Spain than Argentina. Spain's midfielders are much more complete players than Argentina's...Alonso and Busquets alone are more capable of disrupting Germany's counter than the whole Argentine midfield.

But you never know what's going to happen, I love the World Cup!

Pass
07-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Isn't it funny that the two best German players can't even get a game at their club. If I were their club president I would be talking to the coach in no uncertain terms right about now: Kiss their ass and make up or find another job since it is obvious it is a coach problem. Podolski Klose linkup is unreal.

If Germans play like they did today Spain is in deep trouble.

BTW, can anyone remind me why so many people were so hard on Rooney (when he rarely saw the ball to begin with) while Messi gets a free ride? What did World Player of the Year show at this WC? He looked like a little boy against determined German team, they dispossessed him of the ball at will, not that he showed much in earlier games. Same for the fabled Kun Aguero (aka Maradona's son-in-law), invisible. Tevez was their driving force all tournament long.

Yeah, it's hard to believe that Klose and Podolski don't see much field time at the club level. Definite coaching issue!! Of course, there is something to be said about playing for ones country that boosts a player up. Plus this German coach is ALL about team work. Many club coaches look mostly at individual efforts. Of course, having Bastian Schweinsteiger helps a lot too :D.

No idea why Messi gets a free ride. Granted, he was very creative with opening up defenses for other players to score in some of the earlier matches... But frankly, I think Tevez was the better player between the two in this cup.

Pass
07-03-2010, 10:30 AM
They will be in for a much tougher time against Spain than Argentina. Spain's midfielders are much more complete players than Argentina's...Alonso and Busquets alone are more capable of disrupting Germany's counter than the whole Argentine midfield.

But you never know what's going to happen, I love the World Cup!

Oh definitely going to be Germany's toughest match! And not having Muller there is going to hurt! But I think that they can overcome that... Ozil, is going to have to pick up some slack and settle some of those poor finishing touches. I'm not sure who will start in Muller's stead... Probably Cacau or Gomez... But both seemed to be lacking in earlier matches.

TheRiddick
07-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Paraguay look pretty good so far (minute 28) , not duly "impressed" by the the much touted Spain. If anything, Spanish defense looks unsettled and if Paraguay pick on Puyol on consistent basis this may be a surprise game.

TheRiddick
07-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Paraguay actually look better (half time), way more relaxed and settled on the ball. Spain is lucky, so far. And Paraguay is playing with 6 second teamers to boot...

Pass
07-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Paraguay actually look better (half time), way more relaxed and settled on the ball. Spain is lucky, so far. And Paraguay is playing with 6 second teamers to boot...

I was thinking the same thing... This very well could be an upset!!! How awesome would that be?

scottfish
07-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Haven't been too into World Cup this go 'round.

I really got into that Uruguay/Ghana game yesterday though as work was winding down.

Woke up this morning and dropped six bucks on a Germany/Paraguay parlay. 25 to 1 seemed like a fun way to either enjoy the games more or kick myself for losing six dollars.

kazzaca
07-03-2010, 01:49 PM
OMG there is no end to the drama...