PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview

icantbejon
06-09-2010, 06:01 PM
I have a job interview on Fri. Very excited...but nervous as can be. I've never interviewed for a job in my life. Little bit scary.
Posted via Mobile Device

68TriShield
06-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Be yourself,you'll have it sewn up :tu

icehog3
06-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Break a leg, Jon! :tu

Salvelinus
06-09-2010, 06:10 PM
It's the one time it is ok to tell people how awesome you are. Don't sell yourself short. Good luck.

bvilchez
06-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Be yourself,you'll have it sewn up :tu

+1

DonWeb
06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
do well friend!

cort
06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Best of luck buddy.

icantbejon
06-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys...I appreciate all the encouragement.
Posted via Mobile Device

catfish2
06-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Don't be nervous. Just talk to the person. Thats what I do, and I ace all of my interviews. Don't over indulge on your answers. Make them short but friendly. The longer you make your answers, the more chance of getting your self in trouble.

catfish2
06-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Oh, I forgot. Good luck, you'll do fine.

ashtonlady
06-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Remeber that the interview is as much for you as it is for them. Have questions ready to ask them.

Ogre
06-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Good Luck Bro, Will say a prayer for you!!!!

RevSmoke
06-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Jon, will keep you in my prayers.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Wanger
06-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Dammit Laura. You took the words out of my mouth. LOL That's what I tell everyone who I talk to that's going to a job interview. Be yourself and remember that you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you. If you have to pretend to be someone you're not to get the job, then how much would you really like being there. Take mental note of everything they show you, and the subtleties surrounding what they show you. Have a few questions ready, and try to do some research of the company beforehand.

Good luck!!!

kelmac07
06-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Good luck Ferg!! :tu

gettysburgfreak
06-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Good luck man. My first ever interview was with the United States Secret Service. I was petrified but once I got in there the nerves went away. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but the advice I can give would be as follows:

-Get a haircut a few days before the interview
-Wear a nice suit, polish your shoes (looking sharp goes a long way)
-Make sure you know how long it will take you get to the interview a day or so in advance to plan for traffic and get there 30 min early.
-Greet the person with a firm handshake and look them in the eye
-Talk with confidence

E-Tx Surveyor
06-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Best of luck, ill say a prayer for you.

Remember;
Clean shave
Ironed clothes
Eye contact, and a firm handshake
Be confident
Be yourself
Rehearse answers to the hard questions I.e: what can you do for the company? Why should we hire you? What's your biggest weakness?

Best of luck, I remember my first interview.

Don Fernando
06-10-2010, 02:50 AM
you'll do fine Fergie.

mosesbotbol
06-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Is the position something you know well? Do you know your strength's & weaknesses? There are a lot of standard interview questions should be familiar with at least how you'd answer them. Make sure to have questions for them. You are interviewing them as well.

Good luck.

If you want the job in the end, make sure to directly ask for the job.

elderboy02
06-10-2010, 05:04 AM
Good luck! Be sure to prepare for the question "What is your biggest weakness?"

I f'ing hate that question.

GreekGodX
06-10-2010, 05:40 AM

If I was you I would respond, "Dan". :r

akakirby
06-10-2010, 06:06 AM
good luck!

HK3-
06-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Good luck! My wife is an HR Director if you need some pointers or a trial interview over the phone.. just an idea. :tu

JaKaacH
06-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Good luck..
I think I have read here once or twice "Be yourself, unless you're a @$$hole"

Don't wear a Tux..

NSFW audio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT-j_LSWM_A

CigarNut
06-10-2010, 08:52 AM
It's OK to be nervous, but remember to be confident!

icantbejon
06-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Good luck! My wife is an HR Director if you need some pointers or a trial interview over the phone.. just an idea. :tu

Thanks for the offer Hal...but a little late for it. I hope I'm prepared at this point in time. If I am not, not much is going to change between now and 11am tomorrow. :banger

HK3-
06-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the offer Hal...but a little late for it. I hope I'm prepared at this point in time. If I am not, not much is going to change between now and 11am tomorrow. :banger

Well, good luck! :tu

icantbejon
06-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Good luck..
I think I have read here once or twice "Be yourself, unless you're a @$$hole"

It's so funny for me to see this posted, because I've been thinking it all day. Everyone tells me to be myself, and when I see or hear that all I can hear in my head is the Bill Cosby skit where he says, "well yes...but what if you're an @$$hole?" It's all I can think everytime I see "be yourself."

icantbejon
06-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Well, good luck! :tu

Thanks man. I really do appreciate the offer.

icantbejon
06-11-2010, 07:26 AM
Well...here we go. Interview in an hour and a half.

Wanger
06-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Good luck Ferg!

bvilchez
06-13-2010, 03:37 PM
So....how did it go?
Posted via Mobile Device

icantbejon
06-14-2010, 11:35 AM
I think it went pretty damn well honestly. The interview lasted 2 hours and I ended up talking to way more people than I was scheduled to speak with. I also got an email from the HR manager today letting me know she was calling my references today.

Now I'm just playing the waiting game to find out....which sucks. I definitely would like the instant gratification of knowing right now.

Thanks everyone, for all the well wishes.

Blindjimme
06-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Well, hopefully during the interview you weren't yourself! :r Waiting sucks, good luck Bro.

icantbejon
06-14-2010, 12:06 PM
I actually was...and it almost got me in trouble. They asked me about my hobbies and I mentioned cigars. Well come to find out this company has a no smokers policy because of the type of health insurance they offer.

I believe I was able to talk myself out of that jam though. Who in the world anticipates a no smokers policy? Never saw it coming.

Skywalker
06-14-2010, 12:16 PM
I actually was...and it almost got me in trouble. They asked me about my hobbies and I mentioned cigars. Well come to find out this company has a no smokers policy because of the type of health insurance they offer.

I believe I was able to talk myself out of that jam though. Who in the world anticipates a no smokers policy? Never saw it coming.

:r:r:r

Good luck!!!:tu

Tenor CS
06-14-2010, 12:27 PM
And whatever you do, DON'T TELL THE PIG JOKE.

+1 if you get the reference

icantbejon
06-21-2010, 08:26 AM
I continue to wait on this job...ugh. I took my drug test on Wed and they said I will hear early this week pending the results. The suspense is killing me. I'm entirely too much a instant gratification kind of guy for this prolonged process. It's time for someone to just call/email me with a :tu or :td

Pistol
06-21-2010, 08:45 AM

Yeah, I never ever EVER mention this as a hobby in interviews. In corporate America, a smoker = a health liability, and a health liability = a bad thing. When they ask for hobbies, I only mention working out, bike riding, swimming, golf, skiing, etc. I'm not ashamed to be a cigar/pipe smoker, but I need a good job to fund these activities too! I hope you hear the results soon. So, are you leaving active duty? I left about 3.5 years ago, so if you have any transition questions, feel free to PM me.

Pistol
06-21-2010, 08:51 AM

Everybody says the same thing, "well, I don't have any dehabiliting weaknesses, but if I had to choose something, I'd say that I'm a perfectionist (or I'm too goal-oriented, I'm too focused, I work too hard, etc. etc. etc.)." This question isn't going to win you the job, but it could lose you the job if you don't spin it into something semi-positive. "Boss, basically you are going to have to make me shut it down, because I'm a gosh-darned machine, and I'll work until I pass out if you don't remind me to go home!" :=:

icantbejon
06-21-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm actually glad I mentioned it, because I would have had no idea that they were testing for nicotine.

The wife and I are just settling down, tired of moving all over the country.

Pistol
06-21-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm actually glad I mentioned it, because I would have had no idea that they were testing for nicotine.

The wife and I are just settling down, tired of moving all over the country.

They have a zero tolerance policy and test for nicotine?! I've never heard of actually testing for nicotine by an employer. I know that some life insurance plans require this, but I've never heard of this for health insurance. They may have a no smoking policy on company grounds, but they can't prevent you from smoking at home, can they?

icantbejon
06-21-2010, 09:06 AM
They have a zero tolerance policy and test for nicotine?! I've never heard of actually testing for nicotine by an employer. I know that some life insurance plans require this, but I've never heard of this for health insurance. They may have a no smoking policy on company grounds, but they can't prevent you from smoking at home, can they?

That seems to be everyones thought. However, as a corporate policy, they don't hire smokers. It is a mining company, so their miners aren't allowed to smoke at all. In an effort to not foster a "white house" mentality of do as I say, not as I do, they don't allow officer workers to smoke either. It's all kinda BS in my opinion. However, their company, their rules. They told me after being hired it wouldn't really be a problem.