PDA

View Full Version : Chantix and cigars

jonumberone
06-09-2010, 06:49 AM
In an effort to be healthier and not require oxygen while chasing down the ice cream truck, I have decided to try to kick cigarettes, with the aid of the drug Chantix. I have been told the drug makes the cigarettes taste so bad you don't want to smoke. My question is will this drug have the same effect on my cigars? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

N2Advnture
06-09-2010, 07:03 AM
In an effort to be healthier and not require oxygen while chasing down the ice cream truck, I have decided to try to kick cigarettes, with the aid of the drug Chantix. I have been told the drug makes the cigarettes taste so bad you don't want to smoke. My question is will this drug have the same effect on my cigars? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

I tried Chanitx and it didn't make cigarettes taste different but it did make me not want to smoke them.

With that said, I would advise those close to you to monitor your personality as mine changed greatly without me knowing it and based on my experience would not recommend it at all.

Go cold turkey bro

mash
06-09-2010, 07:11 AM
I agree that you need to be careful. There is now a black box warning for this drug regarding mood changes. I have had patients get significantly depressed on it.
I would look into other options.

N2Advnture
06-09-2010, 07:18 AM
I agree that you need to be careful. There is now a black box warning for this drug regarding mood changes. I have had patients get significantly depressed on it.

I would look into other options.

Interesting. I believe I became a little depressed (I never had an issue with depression before) but the most noticeable and adverse affect that I had (completely without being aware of it) was the development of an extremely short temper that lasted well after stopping the medication.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am laid back so it was completely out of character for me.

Dangerous stuff IMHO.

icehog3
06-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Chantix Side Effects:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); behavior changes; chest pain; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; memory loss; new or worsening mental or mood problems (eg, aggression, agitation, anger, anxiety, depression, nervousness, thoughts of hurting other people); red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or persistent nausea; suicidal thoughts or actions; trouble sleeping; vision changes; vivid, strange, or unusual dreams.

That's plenty to scare me off.... :2

JohnE1000
06-09-2010, 08:35 AM
These drugs can have effect on you. Be careful.

KenyanSandBoa
06-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Chantix Side Effects:

That's plenty to scare me off.... :2

Wow...yeah, there's got to be a better way.

I wish you the best of luck in quiting, Dom. I know it won't be easy, but I'm sure you'll feel much better afterwards. :tu

benedic08
06-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Quitting cigarettes good... Chantix baaaaaad..... My brother in law became very depressed and almost commited suicide while taking chantix. Goodluck on quitting smoking. :D

Don Fernando
06-09-2010, 10:26 AM
go cold turkey, or at least give that a try before you look for chemical help.

jkim05
06-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Interesting. I believe I became a little depressed (I never had an issue with depression before) but the most noticeable and adverse affect that I had (completely without being aware of it) was the development of an extremely short temper that lasted well after stopping the medication.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am laid back so it was completely out of character for me.

Dangerous stuff IMHO.

Depression can present itself in a variety of ways and one major symptom is irritability or shortened temper. Some people feel down when they get depressed, others just get pissed about everything, it just depends on the person. As for chantix, it really depends on the person, but just like any drug, you want to carefully monitor for any side effects, especially when they are as well documented as with this one.

Dark Jester
06-09-2010, 11:40 AM
the most noticeable and adverse affect that I had (completely without being aware of it) was the development of an extremely short temper that lasted well after stopping the medication.

That was what I got from it. Tried it about 2 1/2 years ago right after it came out on the public market. I'm normally extremely laid back and relaxed, and my wife said I turned into a real asshole while I was on it. A quick temper and just really fast with mean comments. Nothing seemed different to me though. I still don't think there was anything different from my perspective. After she told me to stop taking it, she said it took me 3 or 4 more weeks to get back to normal.

The coolest side effect was the vivid dreams. I normally don't remember what I dream about. I might remember 1 dream every 6 months or so. On Chantix I remembered dreaming every night, and really vivid like they were actually happening. That was a nice change for the few weeks I was on it. :)

jonumberone
06-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I tried Chanitx and it didn't make cigarettes taste different but it did make me not want to smoke them.

That was what I got from it. Tried it about 2 1/2 years ago right after it came out on the public market. I'm normally extremely laid back and relaxed, and my wife said I turned into a real asshole while I was on it. A quick temper and just really fast with mean comments. Nothing seemed different to me though. I still don't think there was anything different from my perspective. After she told me to stop taking it, she said it took me 3 or 4 more weeks to get back to normal.

:)

Did either of you find that the drug lessened your cigar smoking experience?

Dark Jester
06-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Go cold turkey bro

I'd have to agree here. 95% of the ex-smokers I know, that lasted more than a month and are still off of cigarettes, did it cold turkey.

You just need something to get you through that first 72 hours, and I'd suggest no cigars or cigarettes during that time period. Any new nicotine in the system will just prolong the withdraw symptoms. I'd probably recommend leaving the cigars for a full week, just to keep the body from getting confused.

For me the cure Cranberry juice and (*cough*Pot*cough*). I rarely smoke MJ, but it worked to keep my mind distracted from the lack of nicotine. I took a few days off from work and just stayed stoned off my ass the whole time. Only thing I drank for that 3 days was cranberry juice to detox.

After 3 days, the nicotine is out of the system fully, and everything else is just the behavioral triggers that ya need to work on. Like smoking while driving, or right after a meal. That's a really long process, but there is no physical addiction anymore. I've seen guys that haven't smoked for 15 years still reach for their shirt pocket after a meal.

Dark Jester
06-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Did either of you find that the drug lessened your cigar smoking experience?

At the time I took chantix, I hadn't started cigars yet. It changed the flavor of the cigarettes a little for me. Made them taste more dry, or almost stale. Hard to explain.

JJG
06-09-2010, 12:09 PM
The nicoderm patch worked fine for me, no adverse side-effects. However, I did not smoke cigars while quitting cigarettes. I would recommend if you REALLY want to quit, that you abstain from cigars as well for at least a few weeks after stopping any sort of nicotine replacement to make sure you no longer have any cravings.

cricky101
06-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I quit cold turkey and it wasn't fun, but doable. I got rid of the "triggers" that made me smoke for the first 6 weeks or so: no coffee, no alcohol, and plenty of sunflower seeds if I had to go for a long drive. I still crave cigarettes (especially after a couple of drinks, and this is years later) but I've gone without for so long now I'd be too guilty if I caved and lit one up.

Kreth
06-09-2010, 12:49 PM
A friend of mine tried Chantix. He didn't have any of the more severe side effects, but he also relapsed not long after being taken off the drug.
I quit as of New Year's, and just bought a box of Holt's Shorties. I mainly found myself smoking those when driving, as I used to light up just about every time I got n the car.
I can't recall having a craving recently, even when I'm around someone smoking. In fact, cigarette smoke smells nasty to me now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Apoco
06-09-2010, 02:09 PM
While I've never been a cig smoker, I've had many friends who were. The most creative non-chemical solution I've heard is to only smoke half of a cig at a time. When the half is done, put it out and back into your pocket. Next time you want to smoke, smoke the other half.

I've tried one of those, and it is awful. I'd imagine that if you want the taste to be different, that would be a good way to do it. Good luck with quitting.

E-Tx Surveyor
06-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Myself, my wife, my brother, and my sister in law all took chantix to quit smoking about two years ago.
The only person to have side effects was my wife. She had horrible, vivid nightmares, mood swings and depression, along with muscle cramps. She quit taking it and just a few weeks later she was back to her old self.

The stuff works, it made cigarettes taste stale and no longer enjoyable. I rarely had a craving, if I did it was quickly cured by chewing on a toothpick (a habbit I still have today).

I was the only person that did not completely relapse. I smoke a cigarette every morning and cigars when I have them. Its important to add 6 months after quitting I began dipping snuff again.
Overall, if it worked for making me quit snuff, I would take it again in a heartbeat.

ChicagoWhiteSox
06-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Quitting cigarettes good... Chantix baaaaaad..... My brother in law became very depressed and almost commited suicide while taking chantix. Goodluck on quitting smoking. :D

Maybe be a little more sensitive to the OP situation:rolleyes:

With regards to the OP, cold turkey is the way to go. You have to really want to quit, and not quit because someone says you have to. Its YOU who wants to quit.

14holestogie
06-09-2010, 03:01 PM
With regards to the OP, cold turkey is the way to go. You have to really want to quit, and not quit because someone says you have to. Its YOU who wants to quit.

I concur. You have to WANT to, and then it is not that difficult. Not that it's easy modifying behavior, but once I decided to quit, the cigarette lost all appeal to me.

Cigarette free now for 24 years after deciding to quit for ME.

jonumberone
06-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Just wanted to post an update. The day i posted this thread (Wed) was the day i began the pills. I smoked cigs and a cigar on Wed and Fri, cigs only on Thur and Sat, and sunday stopped everything. I didn't smoke a cigar until the following Friday. The reason I posted this thread was to find out if the drug would alter the taste of my cigars, and am happy to report it hasn't.

I started small with a Nub Connecticut on Friday & the Cameroon on Saturday, and have been trying different sizes and bodied cigars all week with no ill affects to report, and still no cigarettes.:D

Starscream
06-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Glad it's working for you so far. Keep up the good work.

Brutus2600
06-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Good news Dom. How have the cig cravings been? I know my coworker used chantix and he had absolutely no desire to smoke at all.

And just some encouragement, it's been over 3 years since he's touched a cigarette. I know it still takes some will power afterwords, and he still gets cravings, but the chantix really helped that initial struggle to quit.

jonumberone
06-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Good news Dom. How have the cig cravings been? I know my coworker used chantix and he had absolutely no desire to smoke at all.

And just some encouragement, it's been over 3 years since he's touched a cigarette. I know it still takes some will power afterwords, and he still gets cravings, but the chantix really helped that initial struggle to quit.

None at all! This has been the easiest attempt a quiting for me. I've tried other times and not even made it thru lunch, let alone a week. I know it's only been 10 or so days but its my longest streak since I started smoking.

Thanks to everyone for the support and advice. :banger