PDA

View Full Version : WWII BiPlane Flips on Landing -

RGD.
06-08-2010, 11:12 PM
I was standing by my truck in my driveway when I heard this unusual sound. I looked up and said "damn - that's three old ass biplanes." Tried to get my cell phone out and snap a picture but didn't have enough time. It was way cool though to see them flying in formation.

Later on I was checking out the news feeds and saw this:

WWII BiPlane Flips on Landing (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/08/wwii.biplane.flips/index.html)

I didn't know at the time if they were going to National Airport (National to us who have been here awhile, Reagan to the newbies) or over to Andrews AFB for some air show. But I am in the flight path to either.

Anyway - just thought it was way cool to see them less than five minutes before the accident would have happened. Good that nobody got hurt outside of some pride.

Ron

JE3146
06-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Isn't the flipping thing common?

Glad no one was hurt!

n3uka
06-09-2010, 09:07 AM
"It shows how rigid Boeing made the plane," Brown noted. "They were built as trainers for cadets who flipped them like this quite often."

Wonder if the instructors ever got used to the wild ride?

kaisersozei
06-09-2010, 09:24 AM
FTA: The two-seat, open-cockpit plane "took a back-end bounce," as it landed, movie executive producer Doug Freeman told CNN. "The pilot and passenger got out unhurt" and later relaxed over a cup of coffee.

A cup of coffee, that's it? Really?

These pilots... balls the size of coconuts, I tell ya :tu