PDA

View Full Version : Faith in humanity restored

hotreds
06-08-2010, 05:35 PM
The most amazing thing happened to mama and me today. We were eating at Red Robin when a young mother comes to our table with her young daughter in her arms, and young son next to her.

"Is that your van with all the stickers?" she asked sweetly.

"Why, yes, yes it is!"

"Well, I would like you to hear something." So she tells her daughter: "Ok, go ahead." The little tot proceeds to recite the Pledge of Allegiance- perfectly. Mom says that her son knows it, too, but he's shy. She then asks her daughter: "How old are you?" The little girl sticks up two fingers and says: "I'm two and will be three on my next birthday!"

Absolutely adorable! Mom then tells us that she and the kids were very impressed with the van- especially her son who wants to fly helicopters when he grows up. She the aks her daughter: " What do you want to be when you grow up?" " I want to be a fireman!" Absolutely adorable!

Mom then tells us that she and her family are very patriotic, and appreciated the van. Some small talk, "say goodbye and God Bless you!" and they left. We were very impressed with the 2 year old girl, as was our waitress.

The kicker: The waitress said as we were finsihing up: " That lady paid for your meal. You owe nothing! She said she felt led to do something nice for you guys."

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit! Were were floored, and frankly a tear or two appeared.

With wonderful, patriotic people that are teaching their children to love their country at such a young age- it seems that perhaps there still is hope for our beloved America!

bvilchez
06-08-2010, 05:39 PM
:usa to you and all those for the support you all give this wonderful country of ours.

replicant_argent
06-08-2010, 05:50 PM
I have seen the pics, and think you should post one or two to see exactly what you mean, Hugh. Once you see it, you won't ever misplace it in a parking lot, that is for sure.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during those exchanges.

hotreds
06-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Older pix:

http://www.montgomeryaviationphotography.com/airshowvan/Resized_distant.jpg
http://www.montgomeryaviationphotography.com/airshowvan/Resized_driverside.jpg
http://www.montgomeryaviationphotography.com/airshowvan/Resized_pasrear.jpg
http://www.montgomeryaviationphotography.com/airshowvan/Resized_rearvan.jpg

bvilchez
06-08-2010, 06:04 PM
If that's not showing pride than I don't know what is

Diesel Kinevel
06-08-2010, 06:06 PM
That is awesome Hugh! Its good to hear about patriotic families these days, it seems too many people are caught up in their day to day to care much anymore:rolleyes:. Good for you for developing some fans! And good for them for raising their kids right!

-Z

bazookajoe
06-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Great story Hugh. There are a lot of nice people around - they just usually go quietly about their business without drawing attention. And they're usually good at spotting others, so it's no real surprise she noticed you. :usa

Tenor CS
06-08-2010, 06:11 PM
We were eating at Red Robin

The story could have ended right there and it still would have been a good day!

RightAJ
06-08-2010, 06:15 PM
GOD BLESS AMERICA! That is awesome brother, glad to here there are still some patriotic people around

aj

J0eybb
06-08-2010, 06:16 PM
My daughter(4) has been singing the national anthem for about 2 years now. It is pretty cool though.

massphatness
06-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

Biscuit!

Very cool story, Hugh.

68TriShield
06-08-2010, 06:22 PM
What my kid said :)

E-Tx Surveyor
06-08-2010, 06:23 PM
That's awesome. The van is cool too, is there one place you got most the stickers?

I know how much it means to my brother when someone would walk up to him and say thanks. I try to make it a point whenever I can. So, thank you.

RevSmoke
06-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Love the van, very nice.

Thanks also for the story, very nice.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

JaKaacH
06-08-2010, 06:34 PM
My daughter(4) has been singing the national anthem for about 2 years now. It is pretty cool though.

Very cool story Hugh. Love the van and all the stickers for the Services...but one of my faves on there is the "Hang up and Drive" sticker...

JOeybb does she know the second verse?

To hear a Marine sing it click this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9_bP219ehQ&feature=player_embedded)

Kreth
06-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Very cool story, thanks for sharing it.
To hear a Marine sing it click this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9_bP219ehQ&feature=player_embedded)
I happened to overhear a member of a local bagpipe band practicing today. He was playing the Marines Hymn. :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

awsmith4
06-08-2010, 06:59 PM
That is just awesome! I have taught my son that the men and women he sees around us (we live near an AFB and a NAS) that have the uniforms are called heroes. I have yet to teach the Pledge but I will now!

junkinduck
06-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks for making me smile on an otherwise depressing evening. I have just returned from calling hours of a five year old princness that fought a battle with cancer and can now rest.

G G
06-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks for posting Hugh, great story you can tell for a while.

Col. Kurtz
06-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Great story. Thanks for your support of the troops Hugh!

elderboy02
06-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Awesome stuff Hugh! You and your wife are some of the nicest people I have ever met and you deserve a free meal and more! :tu

J0eybb
06-08-2010, 07:20 PM
JOeybb does she know the second verse?

No, she doesn't. I didn't even know there was more than one ver until last week. There will be no more Carrie Underwood Karaoke until she has this memorized. :)

Cool VAN

ETA:: what about the other two verse's?

SmokeyJoe
06-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Hugh... you, and several folks here, already makes it clear to me that there are some truly great people in the world.

Blessings!

:ss

MedicCook
06-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks for sharing the great story Hugh. :tu

Blueface
06-09-2010, 05:49 AM
Awesome!!!

Truly amazing!

Both her patriotism/generosity and teaching of her children and you as an example to them also.

Ender
06-09-2010, 07:02 AM
Great story. Well deserving indeed.

shilala
06-09-2010, 07:39 AM
What goes around comes around, you crazy bastage.
Everybody else doesn't need to be good for us to do good. It's infectious. You're a perfect example. It's like you're spreading the Hugh Herpes. :D

Apoco
06-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Very cool story!

And awesome van.

CigarNut
06-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks for sharing Hugh -- could not have happened to a nicer person!

Mugen910
06-09-2010, 08:02 AM
:tu wonderful story!

ade06
06-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Great story and the van is even cooler when you see it in person on the road.

DPD6030
06-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Great story Biscuit :D I'm proud to be a supporter of the troops and the :usa. God bless them and the family that paid for your meal. :tu