PDA

View Full Version : DBall's Newb Blind Taste Test #3

DBall
06-02-2010, 01:22 PM
2 of our newer members are going to review these 10 cigars:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3.jpg

If anyone has any ideas of what these might be, please don't share... I want this to be as fun and unbiased as possible.

They will review them at least 1 per week and PM their reviews to me. Once I get em, I'll post them in the thread and post the results.

Cigars are going out tonight or tomorrow... :banger

Goldie
06-02-2010, 01:32 PM
I always enjoy reading these. Can't wait.

stearns
06-02-2010, 02:50 PM
nice, cant wait for the reviews to come in

stearns

BFallehy
06-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Very cool, I followed the last one and intend on watching this one. Can't wait for the first reviews. :tu

macsauce13
06-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Woo hoo!!! Here we go again!

DBall
06-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Brian - Delivery Confirmation™ Label Number: 9405503699300250771629

James - Delivery Confirmation™ Label Number: 9405503699300250771636

Leaving NY tomorrow

Emjaysmash
06-02-2010, 09:06 PM
And the saga continues...

E-Tx Surveyor
06-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Really looking forward to reading the reviews.

Brutus2600
06-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks! :tu I'll keep an eye out for them. I'm going to let them rest for a few days but then expect some reviews in your inbox! :D

jimmyk26
06-02-2010, 10:45 PM
I just sharpened my pencils, I think I am ready. I am also really excited! :tu

MTBAlex
06-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Nice!!!! i'm glad these are back!! i look forward to readign the first review.

Montano
06-03-2010, 06:25 AM
It will be fun to sit back and relax this time around ;)

DBall
06-03-2010, 07:39 AM
It will be fun to sit back and relax this time around ;)

Was it really that bad, Nick? :r

DBall
06-03-2010, 02:16 PM
My wife put these in our mailbox after the mailman left... They won't be leaving til tomorrow.

Sorry guys.

Brutus2600
06-05-2010, 08:11 AM
I think that's the fastest across country priority mail shipping I've ever seen if they left Friday! Look what showed up with the mailman today :D

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/4671888954_0370d8cd67_b.jpg

Put these beautiful sticks in my humi and I'm going to let them rest a few days. I'll be sending you my first review next weekend sometime, I doubt these need too much rest since they were basically overnighted, rofl.

DBall
06-05-2010, 03:57 PM
I think that's the fastest across country priority mail shipping I've ever seen if they left Friday! Look what showed up with the mailman today :D

Put these beautiful sticks in my humi and I'm going to let them rest a few days. I'll be sending you my first review next weekend sometime, I doubt these need too much rest since they were basically overnighted, rofl.

Holy ****... how'd that happen? Damn.

Smokin Gator
06-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Can't wait for this round of reviews. Thanks for doing it again Dan.

jimmyk26
06-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Fastest cross country mail ever. I got my package today. Just like Brutus, mine will rest for a couple of days and the fun begins.

Brutus2600
06-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Holy ****... how'd that happen? Damn.

Lol...maybe both packages accidentally got mixed in with the overnight ones :D Who knows, oh well -(P

DBall
06-08-2010, 10:29 PM
So guys... first review this weekend, you think?

Also, I noticed that Brian posts in the photography thread... all the shots I took for these cigars were with a Nikon D5000 w/ a 50mm manual lens.

I was trying to make some better looking pics for this one than the previous 2 (where I just kinda threw shots together).

Can't wait for this to get underway!!! :banger

Brutus2600
06-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Yessir! This weekend sounds great.

I have a Nikon too, however it's just a D50 with the 50mm 1.8 lens, but I'll tease some good shots out of it for my reviews ;)

The pic I took of the sticks when they arrived was just with my iPhone though, lol.

DBall
06-09-2010, 07:23 AM
I have a Nikon too, however it's just a D50 with the 50mm 1.8 lens

Nice, mine's the 1.4, but was around the same price because it is the older, automatic version. I almost think I'd rather lose that .4 and be certain that I could focus on stuff better...

Montano
06-09-2010, 07:24 AM
Eagerly awaiting the reviews :)

issues
06-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Love to see this thread coming up once again!

I'm looking forward to the reviews. :tu

DBall
06-10-2010, 04:07 PM
James sent in his first review... this is gonna be a good one! :tu

Brutus2600
06-12-2010, 07:45 AM
In the middle of my first review...should have this one wrapped up and sent off in about an hour :)

DBall
06-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Nice!

DBall
06-12-2010, 08:48 PM
jimmyk26 Cigar #1

Blind Tasting #1

Initial inspection - This corona sized cigar is wrapped in a medium brown wrapper that exhibits a few veins, but none of the veins are significant in size. When I inspect the cigar's construction, I feel that the cigar's wrapper isn't exactly smooth, but it also doesn't show too much tooth. Upon closer inspection, I see that the wrapper has a light oily sheen with a bit of crystallization (likely plume). The touch examination reveals that there are no noticeable soft spots and the triple cap looks well applied. The wrapper offers up almost no aroma, when I pressed my nose for more I did get a faint hint of manure. The foot on the other hand smells of sweet tobacco and graham cracker. The prelight draw is good and leaves hint of rice paper on the palate.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20blind%201/2010-06-09165951.jpg

Initial puffs - Right away my palate is lit up with a burnt wood flavor, it also has a long finish of earth/dirt. The smoke is pulling well.

1/3 - After the initial blast of burnt wood, the flavors have settled down a bit and the charred flavor has backed off leaving the wood and earth flavors lingering on the palate. The finish is remarkably long on this cigar. The burn is pretty much even, despite a run away section early in the cigar. The smoke isn't thick, but there is enough of it to coat my palate for tasting. In the later part of this third there emerged a sweet caramel taste that really surprised me.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20blind%201/2010-06-09172118.jpg

2/3 - The ash held until the end of the first third and then feel off right into my lap. At the beginning of this second third I noticed that the draw had gotten a bit tighter and there was a bit of tar building up where I cut it, so I clipped a bit more off the end and have since slowed my smoke rate. The cigar has opened right back up. For the flavors, the backbone of wood and earth remain on the for front, while the sweetness has changed into a slight spice that is noticeable through the nose and lingers on the palate. The burn line has also corrected itself. The spice proved to be short lived, eclipsed by a bitter coffee flavor, that doesn't finish as long as the other flavors.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20blind%201/2010-06-09173455.jpg

3/3 - Similar to the first third, the ash held well for the second third and then fell into my lap again. At the onset of this final third, the coffee flavors morph into a semi-sweet hazelnut and chocolate. Also, there is still that over arching backbone of wood and earth that has been consistent throughout the cigar. The cigar is still burning and drawing well. Almost as if it is returning the beginning the only flavors left here at the end are wood and earth. And for the finally the burst of burnt wood makes the final bow.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20blind%201/2010-06-09174639.jpg

Final thoughts - This cigar was a bit like a train ride. First there is the backbone flavors of wood and earth that were consistent throughout the cigar which would be the train car that I am sitting in. These core flavors carried me along while I got to look out the windows and enjoy the other other flavors as they passed by. Now I use the train analogy because it also helps show that the experience of the other flavors were brief and encompassed by the backbone flavors, like when you look at scenery out of a window. The fact I really experienced the other flavors mostly on the finish and through the nose highlights the passing expereince. I get the feeling that if I wasn't paying close attention and writing this review the scenery might have passed me buy.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20blind%201/2010-06-09175655.jpg

Score: 7.5 - Because the journey was interesting, but I would call the cigar more nuanced than complex. It also smoked fairly well.

DBall
06-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Brutus2600 Cigar #1

Here is my review for cigar number one!

Prelight inspection - Nice looking wrapper (even though it's a little loose), very minor veins, nice smooth feel. Looks about 5 1/4" x 40.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4692913151_5b6cf0cb2c_b.jpg

Predraw - distinct taste of cinnamon (hadn't experienced that one before!). Slightly tight, but definitely not plugged.

Initial light 8:02 - Toasted the foot with my torch, then lit with a soft flame. My initial light produced a nice amount of smoke, with a slight spice taste and hints of leather. Very smooth, almost creamy smoke. After a couple of draws I tried a retrohale (which usually burns), and this was so smooth I didn't think I was actually getting any of the smoke through. Did it again just to make sure (actually almost 100% retrohale) and no burning, but there was a new flavor there I can't pinpoint. The best I can describe it is that the smell brings to mind being at the pool during summer.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4019/4693548342_9174dc97f7_b.jpg

First Third - Having started this cigar with just water, I now have started my coffee and after a sip then a draw there was an initial chocolaty burst. After that the flavor profile has mellowed to almost indistinguishable tastes. The ash had a brownish gray look to it and I was just getting ready to take a picture and the ash dropped right on me. I took this opportunity to purge and the spice that had been waning was brought back out. The burn is even and slow. Got a picture of the little bit of ash I was able to accumulate. Lucky too because just after the pic it fell off again.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4058/4692913245_fd8feb5a79_b.jpg

Second Third 8:37 - As stated earlier, the cigar has a kind of a loose construction, which is almost surprising considering the borderline tight draw. After the ash fell off I did a little purge and immediately tasted a nutty flavor along with that every present light spice taste. Some caramel notes have started to emerge, at times barely there, but others even becoming the dominant taste. Very glad the cigar has held together even without the band.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/4692913295_b9484a362d_b.jpg

Final Third 8:55 - Having been a fairly mild cigar the entire time, the final third is becoming stronger and burning hotter (as should be expected). I'm feeling the nicotine buildup on my tongue now, and a retrohale brings a slight burn that I've come to expect with other cigars (although still not too bad). Having said that, the smoke is still creamy without any bitter notes but as hard as I try, I can't pull out any flavor past "smokey". Not to say it's not an enjoyable cigar still, I'm just having a hard time finding any flavors to write about.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/4693548484_a1a3caebbf_b.jpg

Finish time 9: 20. Final thoughts are, overall mild cigar, slight spiciness throughout most of the cigar, with creamy, plentiful smoke and a consistent burn that didn't need one touch up. Would I purchase this cigar again? Yes, if I was wanting a cigar where I wanted whatever I was drinking to dominate the conversation in my mouth. I felt this cigar was more a compliment to my drink as opposed to my drink being a compliment to my cigar.

Appearance and construction: 1 out of 1.5
Smoke and ash: 1.25 out of 1.5
Burn: 3 out of 3
Overall flavor: 3 out of 4

Total: 8.25 out of 10

DBall
06-12-2010, 08:58 PM
What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3-01.jpg

2002 Fonseca Cosaco

jimmyk26 score: 7.5
Brutus2600 score: 8.25

These things were not expensive at all, but man... I dig em.

Nice mellow stick, great thing for the morning w/ coffee.

Here's a hint for you guys, though. When it starts getting that bitter taste near the end, purge it (meaning blow out through the cigar, forcing the air through the lit end). I do this CONSTANTLY while smoking my cigars and it just keeps them good the whole way through.

Another thing is that if I want the cigar to be the main focus (instead of getting lost in the beverage as was described above) I pair with Pellegrino Sparkling Water (something I learned from a really smart guy at Shack last year). Try it if you'd like... it's the perfect compliment to a good cigar.

Great reviews, guys... I really love the detail!

Brutus2600
06-13-2010, 04:47 AM
One thing that stuck out to me is that we both tasted Carmel notes. That's something I can honestly say I've never tasted so specifically in a cigar.

I never really experienced any bitter notes, but then again I was purging through most of the cigar.

I'll pick up some Pellegrino next time I'm at the grocery store. I did start the cigar off with just water, but I really enjoy coffee as a pairing to most of my cigars. I did cleanse my palate a few times throughout the cigar trying to pin down specific flavors, maybe the Pellegrino will cleanse the palate a little better.

Anyway, looking forward to the next cigar :) Also, like you said, these are some nice mild sticks that go great with morning coffee. Since they're not too expensive I'll have to look into finding some of these for sure.

jimmyk26
06-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Cool, my first official Fonseca. I can definitely see having this cigar earlier in the day. As for beverage pairing I drink either water or sparkling water (we don't always have the pellegrino in house but since the wife likes the bubbly we always have something mild and palate cleansing).

Along the lines of purging, do you recommend a torch purge as well? That is where while blowing out of the cigar you hold a torch to the end of the cigar to "clean" out the bitter flavors.

DBall
06-13-2010, 11:01 AM
Along the lines of purging, do you recommend a torch purge as well? That is where while blowing out of the cigar you hold a torch to the end of the cigar to "clean" out the bitter flavors.

I don't see where that would be any different than a regular purge in terms of effectiveness, it likely just looks cooler, but sure... whatever floats your boat. :)

Now my question to you two is: is this the oldest habano you have smoked?

akumushi
06-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Cool, my first official Fonseca. I can definitely see having this cigar earlier in the day. As for beverage pairing I drink either water or sparkling water (we don't always have the pellegrino in house but since the wife likes the bubbly we always have something mild and palate cleansing).

Great reviews guys, this is shaping up to the best Newb BTT yet :tu

ama
06-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Great reviews guys, this is shaping up to the best Newb BTT yet :tu

:tpd:

Brutus2600
06-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Now my question to you two is: is this the oldest habano you have smoked?

Um...a 2002 Fonseca Cosaco :o

That was my first. How do you feel knowing you took my habano virginity? :r

DBall
06-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Um...a 2002 Fonseca Cosaco :o

That was my first. How do you feel knowing you took my habano virginity? :r

Awesome!

Don't worry, all the rest are NCs. :r

jimmyk26
06-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Yep I am with Brutus, my oldest habano is the 2002 Fonseca Cosaco!

weak_link
06-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Don't worry, all the rest are NCs. :r

I have this bridge, you wanna buy it?

http://www.ansinet.com/images/news/GoldenGateBridge5oClock.jpg

Brutus2600
06-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I have this bridge, you wanna buy it?

rofl :r

Mindflux
06-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Nice work Dan,
Glad to see that you are still buying/sharing in droves. ;)

DBall
06-14-2010, 06:05 AM
Nice work Dan,
Glad to see that you are still buying/sharing in droves. ;)

Wow... where the hell have you been?! I'm glad to see ya!

I did this thing twice before, too... here are links to the other 2 threads:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21549

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27728

So far I've given out 60 cigars on this set of threads alone... hahaha. It's worth it though, these guys (past and present) put out some great reviews!

Nothing beats sharing, man. :tu

Mindflux
06-14-2010, 06:56 AM
Wow... where the hell have you been?! I'm glad to see ya!!

Nothing beats sharing, man. :tu

Bought a house, got married had a kid all in a 10 month time frame. That's where I've been.

:D

Man when I sent you those BGM's I didn't think I threw you down the slope or anything. :r

MTBAlex
06-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Wow. Awesome reviews guys. I love the great pictures, the details of both review. Very well written like in a mag. And thanks for the smokng tips dball.

jimmyk26
06-19-2010, 07:54 AM
#2 is in!

Brutus2600
06-19-2010, 08:09 AM
I'll be getting this in tomorrow morning :) I had originally planned for this morning but I didn't have time to sit down and review the cigar right, but I will tomorrow morning.

Definitely looking forward to it! :D

Brutus2600
06-20-2010, 11:03 AM
#2 = finished and sent! :tu

DBall
06-21-2010, 08:06 AM
jimmyk26 Cigar #2

Initial impressions - This short cigar, panatella sized I think, is wrapped with a medium brown wrapper that shows very few veins, in fact the only imperfections that I can see are a small crack on the foot and little missing piece of wrapper near the cap (nothing serious). The wrapper is smooth to the touch and the cigar has a nice box pressed shape with no noticeable soft spots indicating good construction. There is a pronounced aroma of manure and hay off of the wrapper, while the foot has a cinnamon and sweet tobacco scent. The pre light draw is good and it leaves a bit of wood and spice on the tongue.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20blind%202/2010-06-18DBBT21.jpg

Initial puffs - There are a lot of wood and spice flavors right away. The smoke is thick and drawing well.

1/3 - This is cigar is presenting all types of flavors: spice, nuts, wood, leather, and a sharp grassiness. Along with this cornucopia of flavors, the cigar is smoking beautifully with plenty of smoke coating my palate. There was a slight uneven burn, but it corrected itself and is doing just fine.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20blind%202/2010-06-18DBBT22.jpg

2/3 - The middle section of the cigar settles down a bit into a richness that has a taste of sweet almond that complements the spice nicely. There is plenty of flavor here. The cigar is still smoking well, with a slightly wandering burn line.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20blind%202/2010-06-18DBBT23.jpg

3/3 - This cigar has some strength to it, I am starting to feel it now near the end of the cigar. The flavors of the cigar now have moved to leather and spice. This cigar is hard to put down, it is still smoking well and has developed a nice inch long ash.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20blind%202/2010-06-18DBBT24.jpg

Final thoughts - This little flavor bomb has been surprisingly strong and good to the last drop. The flavors start off powerful and slowly mellow into a rich experience of smoking that makes me want to reach for another. The cigar smoked very well producing thick rich smoke that coated my palate and allowed me to enjoy every short inch of it. My only slight issues with it are that at the very end the rich complex flavors mellow a bit and are replaced by strength and that it ended too quickly for me. This indicates that the cigar could probably continue to age well, if I would let them last that long. Also I don't usually smoke cigars that are this small, now this sample may have convinced me to start trying some more.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20blind%202/2010-06-18DBBT25.jpg

Rating - 9.0: Fantastic, rich flavor experience in an unassuming little size.

DBall
06-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Brutus2600 Cigar #2

Upon initial inspection the cigar appears to be about 4 1/4 x 42. The wrapper is a nice smooth wrapper with only one significant vein towards the foot. The construction is firm, and the wrapper appears nice and tight.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4717874304_2e3a1cf2c3_b.jpg

Initial light 10:18 - Prelight draw has a VERY distinct taste or raisins. Toasted the foot and lit the cigar with an initial burst of spice and leather. The cigar has a tight draw, but it's not too bad and produces a nice amount of smooth smoke. While I described the previous cigar as spicy, this is a different kind of spice that hits towards the back of my tongue.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/4717874370_0a18124fe2_b.jpg

First Third 10:30 - The spice has mellowed and a roasted nutty, almost coffee, flavor has developed. I am smoking this with my morning coffee, however I haven't actually drank any yet, just water so far. Taking the first sip of coffee it only accentuates what I've previously tasted. The ash is a medium gray, and seems to be holding together nicely. The cigar is producing some almost sweet notes not on top of the other flavors and is smoking quite nice.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4717230647_9d02a2cd3c_b.jpg

Second Third 10:55 - After a purge the spice is virtually gone, although the nutty flavor is still there, minor coffee notes and hints of leather are being tasted now. While I wouldn't describe this as a bold cigar, it is definitely more towards that than anything. Unlike the previous cigar, this one is at the forefront of my tastes and is only complimented by my drink pairing, which is closer to what I'm used to. That consistent nutty flavor has finally been realized as almost a smoked almond flavor. Very enjoyable smoke and flavors so far.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4071/4717874524_ec45ccec0f_b.jpg

Final Third 11:14 - The thing I've enjoyed the most about this cigar is that all the flavors have only seemed to build and mingle together (save the spice). On top of the nutty and leather tastes, I'm getting slight bursts of chocolate with sweet notes. The cigar has remained smooth without being bitter at all, despite only about an inch and a half left to it.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4717874596_86ed645bcc_b.jpg

Finish time 11:30 - My final thoughts on this cigar is that it was a well constructed (perfect burn with only one minor touch up needed), smooth, complex cigar that I really enjoyed. Unfortunately, I fear because of the complexity and the fact that there were numerous interruptions during this cigar, that I might have missed something. Reviewing cigars and drawing their different flavors out takes all my concentration since I'm still new to attempting to do that, and having people talk to me while I'm trying to do that makes it more difficult. Despite that, I think I caught most everything and really enjoyed this cigar. I would most definitely purchase it again and add it to my rotation of smokes.

Appearance and construction: 1.4 out of 1.5
Smoke and ash: 1.4 out of 1.5
Burn: 2.75 out of 3
Overall flavor: 3.75 out of 4

Total: 9.3 out of 10

DBall
06-21-2010, 08:13 AM
What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3-02.jpg

2008 Ramon Allones Small Club Corona

jimmyk26 score: 9.0
Brutus2600 score: 9.3

I'm smoking one of these right now. Not really getting raisins, but then again, I'm not paying attention. I get in that habit frequently these days... just smoking to smoke. The thing I love about these BTTs is that you HAVE to pay attention.

I love these little RASCCs, and I don't think I've ever found a bad one... :tu

issues
06-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Excellent reviews on, what is at this time with my limited experience with the marca, my favorite Ramon Allones.

Love these threads Dan!!! :tu

Brutus2600
06-21-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm smoking one of these right now. Not really getting raisins, but then again, I'm not paying attention. I get in that habit frequently these days... just smoking to smoke. The thing I love about these BTTs is that you HAVE to pay attention.

Two quick comments :)

Yeah...I didn't get raisins AT ALL in the rest of the cigar, but the predraw was so distinct I couldn't help but be surprised and sure of the taste, haha.

The other thing that has surprised me about both reviews is, without discussing these cigars with each other at all...we're still picking up distinct tastes that I normally wouldn't describe in a cigar, such as last time carmel and this time almonds.

Just find that interesting :2

DBall
06-21-2010, 08:34 AM
The other thing that has surprised me about both reviews is, without discussing these cigars with each other at all...we're still picking up distinct tastes that I normally wouldn't describe in a cigar, such as last time carmel and this time almonds.

Just find that interesting :2

I know, right? That's crazy.

The two of you are awesome reviewers and you're both REALLY paying attention... it's incredible. Great job, both of you!

:tu:tu

macsauce13
06-21-2010, 08:42 AM
I guessed it ,I guessed it!

After following both of the previous threads and now this one as well this is the first cigar that I guessed correctly!

I feel like i have accomplished something! hahah

RHNewfie
06-21-2010, 09:09 AM
I noticed two thing... look at the difference in wrapper, interesting... and Dan is on the bottom layer of the box!

What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3-02.jpg

2008 Ramon Allones Small Club Corona

jimmyk26 score: 9.0
Brutus2600 score: 9.3

jimmyk26
06-21-2010, 10:30 AM
I know, right? That's crazy.

The two of you are awesome reviewers and you're both REALLY paying attention... it's incredible. Great job, both of you!

:tu:tu

Thanks, its good to know that what we are doing is working out well. It is also great that we are getting similar experiences, which bodes well for the cigars and their consistency.

Also, I really liked this one. Like I said in the review, I just want to smoke another one. :dr

weak_link
06-21-2010, 10:45 AM
and Dan is on the bottom layer of the box!

It's always a sad day in my house when I peel back cedar and dig into the 2nd row on a dress box. :r

Great reviews guys, looking forward to the next 8!

Brutus2600
06-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Review #3 is away! :D

jimmyk26
06-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Me too, sent it in this morning.

DBall
06-29-2010, 05:38 PM
jimmyk26 Cigar #3

Initial impressions - This long thin cigar, roughly 7' x 36-38 ring gauge (a long panatela maybe), is wrapped with a light brown leaf that has a few veins and it smooth to the touch. It also has a bit of a shrink wrap appearance and shows some of the topography of the filler and binder. I don't notice any soft spots and the cigar appears to be well constructed. The wrapper smells of hay and the foot has only a slight, sweet tobacco scent. The pre-light draw is good and it leaves a light, but lingering, spice on the palate.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%203/2010-06-24DBBT31.jpg

Initial puffs - I am getting toasted wood and spice at the beginning here. The cigar is drawing well and producing good amounts of smoke.

1/3 - The spice and wood make up the initial flavor profile of this start of this stick. It is burning well and producing plenty of smoke. About halfway into the first third, the cigar has picked up a bit of mustiness and hints of walnut. This cigar also has a dry finish. The burn line wandered a bit at the start, but has since corrected itself nicely.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%203/2010-06-24DBBT32.jpg

2/3 - Here the spice has mellowed out and the dominate flavors are now the nut and a creamy almost milk like flavor. These creamy flavors make me want to call this cigar smooth. The cigar continues to perform very well producing plenty of smoke and burning well. Also in this third, the cigar has picked up a slight grassy taste to it, which is not unpleasant. The cigar seems to be mild-medium in strength.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%203/2010-06-24DBBT33.jpg

3/3 - In the final section here the flavors seems to have backed off, I am left with a bit of dry nuts and that grassy flavor I mentioned above but not much else. The cigar, however, continues to burn and draw very well. Nearing the end, the cigar has really pulled back on flavors. I am having a hard time picking out much at all here, though it is still producing plenty of smoke and so I puff on.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%203/2010-06-24DBBT34.jpg

Final thoughts - This mild cigar started out well and the first two thirds were quite enjoyable, however the flavor faded considerably at the end. One thing that was interesting about the flavors to me was how similar the second third was to my experiences with the EP Carrillo Edicion Inaugrual, a very creamy flavor profile. Despite the diminishing flavors, the cigar smoked beautifully producing plenty of mouth filling smoke and it kept an even burn line all the way to the end. It will be interesting to find out if the disappearing flavors are to due to aging, either too little or too much, or just part part of that cigar.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%203/2010-06-24DBBT35.jpg

Rating: 7.0 - The despite the flavors fading at the end, it stared off tasty and the cigar smoked very well. A good introduction for me to the narrow ring gauge cigars.

DBall
06-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Brutus2600 Cigar #3

As soon as I received these cigars a few weeks ago, my eyes fixed on cigar #3. I've not had much experience with longer, smaller RG cigars and I was excited to try this one. Upon initial inspection the cigar has some significant veins, but still has a nice wrapper. Good construction and isn't too firm, but there aren't any soft spots. Looks to be about 6.5 x 34 (a panatela? Correct me if I'm wrong).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4736319404_d793119f15_b.jpg

Initial light 11: 25 - Initial smell and predraw both carry a strong barnyard and hay aroma. Toasted the foot and lit the cigar, my first impression is that it's a fairly mild cigar. It produces a nice amount of smoke. The ash isn't very tight, and fell off right after the picture.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4735682891_34641c5670_b.jpg

First third 11:35 - The flavors are developing from muted to a little more prominent and I'm starting to be able to pick them out. I taste hints of coffee and nuts, with just a few chocolate notes strewn in. I'm having trouble keeping it lit too. It's almost gone out a few times earlier, and just went out on me. I just smoked my first lancero cigar last week, and had similar problems with that. I'm not sure if that's just because of the small ring gauge? As stated, I don't have much experience with these size cigars.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4735682963_3f8d3abdec_b.jpg

Second Third 11:51 - Thought I was getting into a good rhythm and wasn't having issues with the light, but it just went out on me again. I'm afraid this is having adverse effects on the flavors developing. Still getting nutty notes though, with some leathery aroma mixed in as well. A retrohale of just 10% of the smoke from a draw left me coughing, so I didn't get much from that. The ash is a consistent grayish black, and has only holds on for about 3/4" before falling off. As stated before, this is a very mild cigar, but very enjoyable. It's been a great morning cigar paired with my coffee.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/4735683041_59c13051d7_b.jpg

Final Third 12:08 - I've managed to keep the last half of the cigar lit without going out, and the final third has finally gotten a little stronger, but I suspect this is just the nicotine buildup. It's still mild though, and not bitter at all, which is nice. I haven't had the "a-ha" moment with this cigar where a single prominent flavor has stuck out to me, just a consistent nuttiness throughout.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4735683091_12ccba82ea_b.jpg

Finish time 12: 24 - After what initially seemed to be me going through the cigar pretty quickly (trying to keep it lit) this cigar lasted right about an hour. An overall mild cigar, it's given me a pretty good kick from the nicotine even after just having eaten. Great cigar though, enjoyable to the last bit, and despite the burn issues which dropped it's score, I would definitely smoke another.

Appearance and construction: 1.25 out of 1.5
Burn: 2 out of 3
Overall flavor: 3.5 out of 4

Total: 8 out of 10

DBall
06-29-2010, 05:43 PM
What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3-03.jpg

2007 Hoyo du Gourmet

jimmyk26 score: 7.0
Brutus2600 score: 8.0

I'm surprised the scores were this low for this cigar... maybe I'm bias because I absolutely LOVE panatella/ninfa sized cigars. :D

By the way, you were both pretty much in agreement with the flavors again... this just rocks.

Brutus2600
06-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Once again, I'm almost surprised by the results. Every cigar so far I've felt I've just...missed something, if only by a little bit. I think this one I felt that way the most. However it seems we were both pretty close in our review.

Just have to say again I'm having alot of fun and thanks for this :tu

longknocker
06-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Great Reviews, Guys!:banger Keep Them Coming!:banger

ChicagoWhiteSox
06-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Keep in mind that small rg cigars are meant to be smoked very slow. Like sipping through a straw. Might have affected the results of this tasting.

jimmyk26
06-29-2010, 07:19 PM
This cigar smoked beautifully for me. I was just surprised at how the flavors disappeared at the end of the cigar. 2007, I guess this has enough age on them for age not to be a problem. Dan, what do you like so much about these?

Also, good job Brian. It's pretty cool that we are pretty close with our reviews. :tu

DBall
06-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Once again, I'm almost surprised by the results. Every cigar so far I've felt I've just...missed something, if only by a little bit. I think this one I felt that way the most. However it seems we were both pretty close in our review.

Just have to say again I'm having alot of fun and thanks for this :tu

I don't think you're missing anything... you guys are doing a great job!

Keep in mind that small rg cigars are meant to be smoked very slow. Like sipping through a straw. Might have affected the results of this tasting.

Great point.

This cigar smoked beautifully for me. I was just surprised at how the flavors disappeared at the end of the cigar. 2007, I guess this has enough age on them for age not to be a problem. Dan, what do you like so much about these?

Also, good job Brian. It's pretty cool that we are pretty close with our reviews. :tu

I like the size... I personally believe the wrapper imparts more flavor than anything else, so a greater wrapper to filler/binder ratio seems to make a better experience for me.

Brutus2600
06-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah, while I don't have much experience with these size cigars, I've read that they burn hotter, but are more flavorful than a larger RG cigar. So...I tried to smoke it slow, however I had the burn issues and trouble keeping it lit. I've been keeping them at 65% RH, but maybe that was too wet?

Anyway, I really did enjoy the cigar, I think the burn issues I had really were what dinged the score so bad.

So far I've always enjoyed reading Jimmy's reviews and seeing the results! Can't believe we're only 3 cigars in :D

yourchoice
06-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Both reviewers are doing a great job! And another shout out to Dan!:chr

Brutus2600
07-05-2010, 09:54 AM
With a nice 3 day weekend and finally a day I didn't have anything to do (this weekend was too busy! :() I was able to get review number 4 in :)

jimmyk26
07-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Sweet, I am looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Brutus2600
07-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Same! I won't discuss the cigar until the reviews are posted, but I'm looking forward to what you thought as well :tu

DBall
07-06-2010, 05:22 PM
jimmyk26 Cigar #4

Initial impressions - Like Brian, I have been looking forward to certain cigars in this sampler. This darker perfecto has been at the top of the list since the sampler arrived. This cigar is about 5 inches long with a ring gauge of roughly 44, it is topped with a nipple like cap and the foot narrows to a small opening. Along with the figurado characteristics, the cigar is nicely box pressed and I can find no soft spots or imperfections in the construction. Adorning the cigar is a silky smooth, dark wrapper, darker than any of the 3 previous cigars in this tasting. Despite a couple of folds in the wrapper near both the cap and foot, the leaf is well applied and shows very few veins. The aroma of the wrapper is a rich barnyard and leather that was quite strong right after I pulled the cigar out of the bag. From the small foot opening, I smell a bit of spice and sweet tobacco. The pre-light draw is good and it leaves tastes of earth and green tea on my palate.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%204/2010-07-01DBBT41.jpg

Initial puffs - The cigar is drawing very poorly to start probably due to the small foot opening, from the little smoke I am getting I am tasting earth and cinnamon.

1/3 - After the initial tight draw the cigar opened up beautifully to a great draw and flavors of earth, cinnamon, bitter cocoa powder, nutmeg, and even a hint of marshmallow (no kidding). The smoke is flavor full, but doesn't have a thick palate coating character. After the initial onslaught of flavors, the cigar seems to have hit stride with earth and leather with a slight spice and wood through the nose.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%204/2010-07-01DBBT42.jpg

2/3 - The spice has picked up a bit and the cigar has picked up a slight sharp grassy flavor. At this point the finish on the cigar is proving to be dry and a bit gritty, like after you have eaten a cocoa covered truffle and there is cocoa dust left in your mouth. The burn has been a bit ragged, but it stays pretty even and corrects itself as needed. So far the flavor profile has stayed pretty consistent and complex. This cigar is rich and earthy with spice and bitter chocolate, its smoke is not palate coating but it is definitely flavor delivering. The only thing of note here is that the ash is a bit flakey but it seems solid.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%204/2010-07-01DBBT43.jpg

3/3 - Nearing the end the cigar has picked up in strength and it continues to delivery on the flavors. Now the cigar has picked up a bit leather and wood to complement the consistent earth and dry bitter cocoa. The burn line was at its worst in this final third although it did correct itself, it was pretty uneven as you can see in the picture. Nearing the every end of this cigar, the smoke is starting to remind me of a nice cup of Costa Rican coffee not only flavorful, but also very aromatic.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%204/2010-07-01DBBT44.jpg

Final thoughts - This cigar just wouldn't quit. Instead of hitting a flavor profile staying put, the cigar constantly brought new twists and turns to the experience. That isn't to say that the cigar made major flavor changes, rather it was very complex and refined while offering up variations on the major theme of the cigar: earth and dry cocoa. Although it produced plenty of smoke and delivered lots of flavor, it wasn't palate coating smoke. This lighter bodied smoke allowed for a long, dry finish on the palate. I would definitely reach for another one of these when I have time to sit an enjoy the complexities that it offers.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%204/2010-07-01DBBT45.jpg

Rating: 9.5 - This cigar offers a rich, complex flavor experience in a well constructed and great performing format. It was fantastic.

DBall
07-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Brutus2600 Cigar #4

Upon initial inspection, the wrapper is nice and soft, looks to be about 5 x 44, and there appears to be some light bloom on the cigar. Having said that, it has a very poor looking wrapper. It has significant veins, discolored, and looks to be ready unravel as soon as I light it.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/4764403558_e7437bde4e_b.jpg

Initial light 9:40 - Prelight draw leaves the taste of hay on my tongue. Initial light is a little difficult because I can barely draw this cigar. It's a very mild cigar, and along with that, mild flavors. I'm picking up some of the prelight hay taste, and a little leather. After a few more draws on the cigar I get a nutty taste as well. All of these fleeting, nothing lingering on my palate long.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4764403412_6d5c8374aa_b.jpg

First Third - The burn started a little uneven, but it looks like it might be correcting itself. I can never get the burn even to begin with on these shape cigars anyway. The draw is opening up a little, and so are the flavors. I'm getting some hints of spice along with the previous nut and hay aromas. The ash is a brownish gray, and while it looks precarious, it's holding firm even with a light tap.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4764403344_36404a5571_b.jpg

Second Third 10:02 - After the picture I rolled the ash off not wanting to risk it falling on my laptop, corrected the burn just a little, purged, and took a puff. While the flavors have been consistent, the smoke is developing into a very thick, creamy smoke. What had been thin, weak smoke before the draw opened up is very enjoyable now. No matter how much touch up I do, this cigar will not burn evenly. No one part is getting away from the other, but it's just a jagged line across the burn area. The flavors have definitely changed in this last little bit, mostly tasting a woody/nutty aroma with some minor vanilla hints thrown in (which I haven't tasted before in a cigar).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/4763766093_c3b029ce82_b.jpg

Final Third 10: 22 - In this last little bit of the cigar, ironically enough, after my last ash and touch up the cigar's burn is finally even. The smoke is still nice and creamy, with the woody/nutty aroma sticking around. The vanilla was fleeting and might have even been my imagination, but it's not there anymore.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4763765999_f28c52b197_b.jpg

Finish time 10:36 - With my initial thoughts that the cigar would unravel, I was wrong about that. The burn however was quite uneven throughout most of the cigar, and draw was an issue the first third of it. Overall the flavor of the cigar was mild, with just hints at what different flavors I described. The smoke was delightfully thick, and probably my favorite part of the cigar. While I wouldn't seek this cigar out to purchase, I might smoke it again if I wanted a mild stick, although it would be in line behind a few other mild cigars I enjoy. So far, this has been the least favorite of my cigars in this blind taste test

Appearance and construction: .75 out of 1.5
Smoke and ash: 1.5 out of 1.5
Burn: 1.5 out of 3
Overall flavor: 3 out of 4

Total: 6.75 out of 10

DBall
07-06-2010, 05:29 PM
What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3-04.jpg

2000 Cabanas Perfect

jimmyk26 score: 9.5
Brutus2600 score: 6.75

Wow... what a difference anticipation makes... and what a disparity in reviews for this cigar. Very interesting!

jimmyk26
07-06-2010, 05:52 PM
That is certainly a big difference in experiences! I was worried when I started the cigar that it would have draw problems, but after it opened up I really enjoyed it. 10 years, that's a lot of age. Thanks for sharing these.

W.B.
07-06-2010, 06:23 PM
This thread rocks!!! I wish I could smoke all of the new cigars I try blind.

Brutus2600
07-06-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm kind of surprised at this one. Maybe I was having an off day and just wasn't getting all the flavors James was, or something, because reading his review makes me want to smoke it again! Reading my review makes me want to forget I smoked it ;s

Great review though James, very distinct flavors described :tu

stewshi
07-07-2010, 09:43 AM
This is a great read and some great reviews. Makes me very jealous and envious that someone has so many aged CC's to share. Your a good guy DBALL. :tu Cant wait to read whats next.

jimmyk26
07-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I just did some more research on these cigars and was surprised to learn that they were machine made! My first machine made CC.

cigarz
07-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Great review guys. I try and save reading this until I can do it while I am enjoying a cigar myself. It truly adds to the enjoyment of my smoke!

Keep up the good work.

srduggins
07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Great read so far. Looking forward to the rest of this

Samsquanch
07-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Really enjoying this thread - makes me want to begin to slow down and start paying attention to what I'm smoking.

Brutus2600
07-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Alright, got it done! I hear Jimmy is done as well, so look forward to seeing it! :tu

DBall
07-20-2010, 09:06 PM
I'll be posting it up soon... just got back from a little vacation... I haven't forgotten about ya. :tu

Brutus2600
07-20-2010, 09:22 PM
No rush Dan, I knew you were out of town from your other post so I wasn't antsy :)

DBall
07-21-2010, 07:47 AM
jimmyk26 cigar #5

Here is round #5:

Initial impressions - This cigar, sized approximately 5" x 36, is wrapped with a light brown leaf that looks roughly applied with stretching and bunching, uneven cuts that appear on the spiral line of the wrapper edge, and more than a few veins. Topping this cigar is an equally rough looking cap with jagged edges. The wrapper appears to have some nice looking plume on it. While inspecting the cigar I notice a few soft spots that indicate that it was unevenly constructed. I get a red pepper and natural tobacco scent off of the wrapper while the foot presents a hay and sweet tobacco aroma. The prelight draw has a bit of resistance and leaves a natural tobacco and leather taste on the palate.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/Dball%20Blind%205/2010-07-07DBBT51.jpg

Initial puffs - The cigar is producing plenty of smoke and is presenting rich earth, leather, spice, and a sweet grassiness.

1/3 - The draw seems to have tightened up a bit, but it isn't prohibitive. Right now I am tasting richness, in fact I almost can't place the flavor. What I do notice is that it reminds me of a well aged steak. Along with that richness I am getting spice, leather, and espresso on the palate with some spice and woodiness through the nose. For the ugly little package, this cigar is producing all types of flavors. This cigar packs quite the spice punch in this first third. The finish is dry and a bit gritty.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/Dball%20Blind%205/2010-07-07DBBT52.jpg

2/3 - At the beginning of the second third the spice is continuing to be a powerful influence and it is joined by a coffee and wood. The burn line is staying consistent and it seems to be burning through the soft spots without much ado. The flavors have mellowed out a bit, but there is still a nice spice tingle on the palate. The burn has gone a bit funky with the ash turning upwards, likely due to the soft construction I noted earlier (it looks like I spoke too soon earlier). Nearing the end of this third, the cigar picked back up on flavor with notes of wood and a musty grassiness.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/Dball%20Blind%205/2010-07-07DBBT53.jpg

3/3 - Coming into the final third the burn evened out after the askew ash dropped. The woody spice is the dominate flavor with a nuts and hay through the nose. On one puff, I got a distinct and powerful taste and smell of soap surprising, but not totally off putting. After this puff the cigar took on a floral aroma that I begin to notice through the nose. Here the cigar makes a strange flavor turn, there is a soapy floral finish to the smoke that reminds me of what would happen after I said one too many four letter words when I was young. Not very pleasant, but I have enjoyed the cigar this far so I muscle through it. At the very end of this cigar, the spice and wood reappeared (thankfully) to close out my experience.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/Dball%20Blind%205/2010-07-07DBBT54.jpg

Final thoughts - I really want to like this cigar for the gruff appearance, explosion of flavors right away, and the plentiful spice throughout the cigar, but the onset of soap and the lingering finish of hand soap make that difficult. Given that this is a blind tasting and I only get one sample I would really like to try some more and see if the soap thing is a one off.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/Dball%20Blind%205/2010-07-07DBBT55.jpg

Rating: 8.0 - A solid smoke with potential to score much higher. It was hindered heavily by a strange occurrence of soap at the end and uneven construction.

P.S. - I did nub it though. See picture.

DBall
07-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Brutus2600 Cigar #5

Between being out of town for work last week, helping my parents move, a wedding (not mine!), and getting picked for jury duty for a case that will last all week...I've been a little later than my normal Saturday or Sunday review! Well, I had a little while this evening to finally catch my breath, and got to review! So here we go...

DBall's Blind Review #5!

Upon initial inspection, this cigar is about 5 x 34, has a smooth wrapper (albeit not the prettiest I've seen), and feels well constructed with no soft spots and isn't too firm.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4139/4792693424_6fd8289be8_b.jpg

Initial light 9:10 - Prelight draw has a burst of hay aroma. It has a tight draw, but not plugged. Upon lighting the cigar, I get a creamy, but spicy flavor. Odd mix, but it's a very smooth and still a slightly spicy cigar. Almost a vanilla hint to it. Draw is still tight, but produces nice amounts of smoke.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4134/4792693460_38a34b5f0f_b.jpg

First third - The smoke is still creamy, but there is a woodsy, campfire aroma. Hints of leather and a nutty aroma. The ash is a grayish white, and doesn't hold on well, first fell off after about a 1/4" and the burn isn't very even at all.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4792059713_e06e5b285f_b.jpg

Second third 9:30 - The power just went out and I had to scramble around to get the internet back up, in the process the cigar went out. Relight didn't leave any unpleasant taste, so I'm not too worried. Ash is still loose, burn is a little better, and the draw has loosened up some. The nutty flavor has grown in strength, while the leather and woodsy aromas have faded, and the vanilla hints are all but gone.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4792059755_6dfe7a06d4_b.jpg

Final third 9:46 - While I haven't felt like I was rushing this cigar at all, it has certainly gone by very quickly. For having burned so quick, it has stayed cool and flavorful throughout. While the flavor hasn't been complex (still hitting on mostly just nutty, woodsy aromas), it has been pleasant. The burn has gone from even, to uneven, and flip flopped a couple of more times. Having just unintentionally licked my lips, the cigar has actually left quite a pleasant, almost sweet, tobacco flavor there that I guess I normally don't notice while smoking.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4101/4792693600_269fdea3cf_b.jpg

Finish time 9:58 - Having smoked this in the evening, I would've usually chosen a stronger cigar, as I enjoy my more full bodied cigars in the evening and my lighter, smoother cigars in the morning with my coffee. This would've paired wonderfully with coffee I'm sure. I enjoyed the cigar so much I almost nubbed it, but it was almost burning my fingers and the smoke was getting pretty hot.

Appearance and construction: 1 out of 1.5
Burn: 2.5 out of 3 (it burned consistently...just not evenly)
Overall flavor: 3.25 out of 4

Total: 8 out of 10

DBall
07-21-2010, 07:52 AM
What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3-05.jpg

2009 Por Larranaga Panetela

jimmyk26 score: 8.0
Brutus2600 score: 8.0

Wow... an exact tie in the scores! Again, pretty similar in notes too with only minor differences.

Great job, guys! :tu

issues
07-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Nice reviews. I do like these cigars. :tu

Great morning cigar with plenty of flavor but a little inconsistent...

Another masterpiece of a thread Dan, keep it rolling!

bsmokin
07-21-2010, 08:30 AM
I am just discovering this thread now! Wow! This is awesome. Great reviewers doing a great job. Great cigars being reviewed. Awesome, large pictures of everything. I love it. Thanks so much for this guys!!! :tu

DBall
07-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Jimmy's got #6 in...

Salvelinus
07-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Great reviews so far guys. Enjoy reading through these. Need to develop my palate a bit. Right now I seem to be stuck on A. cigar I like or B. cigar I don't like

waffle
07-22-2010, 08:06 PM
I just want to know where Brutus got that LGC lighter... I love it!

Brutus2600
07-23-2010, 02:57 PM
I just want to know where Brutus got that LGC lighter... I love it!

I picked it up a couple months back from Atlantic Cigar Company, however it's showing sold out on their site and I've not seen it elsewhere. You might call them and see if they're planning on getting anymore in.

Also, I'm planning on getting my next review in tomorrow morning :) Maybe tonight if the GF decides she doesn't want to do anything, but I think she is wanting to go see Despicable Me ;)

Brutus2600
07-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Review 6 finished and on it's way to Dan :)

DBall
07-28-2010, 09:18 PM
jimmyk26 Cigar #6

Here is round #6...man this is awesome thank you so much for the opportunity to try such great cigars.

#6:

Initial impressions - This tasting flight has really changed my perception of cigars. When I saw this cigar in the bag I though it was a big cigar, maybe a Toro or Double Robusto. To my surprise, it measures 5.5" x 46 RG, a Corona Gorda! So for better or for worse, Dan you have officially altered my perception of cigar sizes. The dark, smooth, oily wrapper on this has almost no veins showing; it looks like a great leaf. Capped with a nicely applied triple cap, the cigar has no noticeable soft spots. The wrapper, however, does appear to be lifting slightly along the spiral edge. When I bring the cigar up to my nose, the wrapper smells of hay and leather while the foot offers up a sweet tobacco scent. The pre light draw is perfect and it leaves a taste of hay and unsweetened cereal on my palate.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%206/IMG_1793.jpg

Initial puffs - Right away there are rich earth and leather flavors that are backed with a strong spice especially noticeable through the nose. The smoke is thick and drawing well.

1/3 - The initial flavors of earth, leather, and spice have carried right on through this first third. They are also joined by a dark sweetness, like you get in dark, bitter chocolate. The burn is fantastic, the smoke is thick and plentiful, the is draw smooth, and the ash is developing a zebra like quality alternating between light and dark rings. The cigar has a dry finish. Through out this section the flavors have settled down a bit with only the spice retaining its strength. There has also developed a sharp grassiness that I am beginning to think is the "twang" everyone keeps talking about.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%206/IMG_1801.jpg

2/3 - Now this cigar is starting to show its strength, which is impressive because I am only in the first half of the cigar. The flavors are proving consistent and powerful. The grassiness has picked up a bit and now reminds me more of dry green tea. The rich leather and earth are ever present and the spice is still firing through the nose. The finish on the cigar is short for every thing except the green tea which lingers. The cigar continues to perform perfectly. I actually got lost in this section of the cigar only to be pulled back by the ash that fell into my lap before I could take a picture!
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%206/IMG_1806.jpg

3/3 - Entering this final section, the cigar has taken on a slightly tannic characteristic, something I don't remember ever getting in a cigar before. I am even temped to even say this cigar is developing much like a glass of earthy red wine. I am now also tasting cinnamon and nutmeg. The burn line has wandered a bit, but it is still smoking beautifully. Nearing the middle of this third the earth and leather reclaim their dominance on my palate and the spice continues to present through the nose. It continues like this until I physically can't hold the cigar any more.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%206/IMG_1810.jpg

Final thoughts - This is a big, solid cigar (there, I said it, 46 RG is now "big" in my book) that delivers on its flavor, strength, and smoking characteristics. On top of all of this, it is a good looking cigar with the smooth dark wrapper and solid construction. Even though the burn did wander a bit, it never stopped smoking well. Although the flavors were very good, it didn't have the complexity that I found in other cigars in this tasting flight (not necessarily a bad thing). The straight forward flavors coupled with the tannic nature of the final third leads me to believe that this cigar has plenty of long term aging potential. Before I started this tasting series, I had a preference for strong cigars that had plenty of spice, earth, and richness. This cigar brings me back to that time by fitting my preferred flavor profile almost perfectly. I could see myself smoking lots of these cigars given the opportunity.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%206/IMG_1814.jpg

Rating: 9.3 - It is the type of cigar that I have always liked smoking, rich and strong with nice smoking characteristics.

DBall
07-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Brutus2600 Cigar #6

Here's review 6!

Initial inspection looks like the cigar is about 5 1/2 x 42, silky smooth wrapper, great construction, minor plume, and what looks like a quadruple cap on it. The more I look at this cigar the more excited I am to try it.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4823731137_885cb55e8c_b.jpg

Initial Light 10:30 - Prelight draw brings the taste of sweet tobacco, hay, spice, and a hint of raisins to my tongue. If this is any hint of things to come, this will be a complex and flavorful cigar! The draw is tight, but not too much so. Toasted the foot and lit the cigar and the initial burst of sweet, creamy, smoke with hints of cinnamon were quite the boutique of aromas.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4824344652_8cfbe5e75f_b.jpg

First Third - The smoothness of this cigar is surprising. It's mild without being bland, and it's already making me sad that I only have one of these unknown sticks to smoke (and if any of the previous cigars are a hint, not easy to obtain either, lol). The draw is a bit of an issue, it's pretty tight and I have to take two or three puffs to get a good amount smoke, but it's the least of my worries right now. Hints of vanilla, sweet hay/tobacco, and cinnamon are still very easily distinguishable. The ash is a wonderful white with gray streaks and is still holding on nicely at almost one inch. I think the knot in the cigar holding up my draw is towards the end of the stick unfortunately, but I've been able to massage it a little without cracking the wrapper and it's opened up a little.

On a side note, nobody is mowing their yard this morning, all I hear are birds and the occasional dog bark, it's warm but a nice cool breeze is left over from the rain yesterday, and along with this cigar it is making this morning a wonderfully relaxing break from the stressful week.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4823731005_4789090374_b.jpg

Second Third 10:59 - With some previous cigars in this taste test, I've felt that I've had to work to discern any flavors out of the cigar at all. This cigar I'm having to work at discerning WHAT flavors I taste. Although it's enjoyable work I am getting hints of almonds on top of the previous vanilla and sweet tobacco taste. Honestly, this cigar is probably the "sweetest" cigar I've smoked. Not sweet like the sugar tipped POS swisher sweets, it's not a sweetness on my lips, but just like the smoke itself seems laced with sugar. I'm not sure how else to describe it The ash is still phenomenal, the second part holding on nicely. The burn has stayed pretty even, and even the draw has opened up some.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4824344548_b2c541029d_b.jpg

Final Third 11:34 - This cigar has continued to be amazing. There haven't been ups or downs, just consistent greatness! All flavors described previously have continued throughout the cigar, and even recently developed some minor toffee notes. The sweetness probably peaked halfway through the cigar and has died down some, but that hasn't detracted from the cigar at all. With only one minor touch up after I ran inside to refill my coffee, the burn has been fantastic, and I've only had to ash twice so far (probably will only be three total for the entire cigar).

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4824344482_6072706304_b.jpg

Finish time 11:53 - Out of all of the cigars I've reviewed so far, I can say I haven't enjoyed another this much. Such an all around amazing smoke, and would LOVE to get my hands on more of these as soon as I find out what it was. The flavors were full, plentiful, and fantastic. After the first third the cigar opened up enough that the draw wasn't an issue at all. The burn and ash couldn't have been better. My only worry is with my luck this is going to be a well aged CC that I won't be able to duplicate for years even if I bought some

Appearance and construction: 1.5 out of 1.5
Burn: 2.9 out of 3 (minor ding for the single touch-up I did)
Overall flavor: 4 out of 4

Total: 9.9 out of 10

macsauce13
07-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Awesome! Ohh, and I beat DBall before he announced the cigar!

:wo

DBall
07-28-2010, 09:26 PM
What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3-06.jpg

2009 H Upmann Mag 46

jimmyk26 score: 9.3
Brutus2600 score: 9.9

Aren't these things great? I may have one tonight... but I'm nearly out.

I gave many of these away and then after a few months in the humi and after over half the box was given out, they became MAGNIFICENT. I need more, but they aren't free... unfortunately.

DBall
07-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Awesome! Ohh, and I beat DBall before he announced the cigar!

:wo

You're the first one in any of the 3 threads. Unfortunate, too... I enjoyed the ordered look of things.

kgoings
07-28-2010, 09:32 PM
What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3-06.jpg

2009 H Upmann Mag 46

jimmyk26 score: 9.3
Brutus2600 score: 9.9

Aren't these things great? I may have one tonight... but I'm nearly out.

I gave many of these away and then after a few months in the humi and after over half the box was given out, they became MAGNIFICENT. I need more, but they aren't free... unfortunately.

One of my favs! :tu:tu

Brutus2600
07-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Absolutely my favorite cigar so far Dan...thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Doing a quick search on these they aren't cheap, but only being from 2009, I have hope that I might be able to enjoy one of these again with similar aging on it sometime in the semi-near future :D

macsauce13
07-28-2010, 10:01 PM
You're the first one in any of the 3 threads. Unfortunate, too... I enjoyed the ordered look of things.

:sad :s

dwoodward
07-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Wow, how did I miss this thread?

Amazing idea DBall! Just reading those reviews got my mouth watering, and each cigar reviewed I have never heard of before (being new to cigars as well).

I might have to look into those cigars now lol.

DBall
07-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Wow, how did I miss this thread?

Amazing idea DBall! Just reading those reviews got my mouth watering, and each cigar reviewed I have never heard of before (being new to cigars as well).

I might have to look into those cigars now lol.

Did you read the previous two threads just like this that I hosted? Links are on the first post... :tu

Brutus2600
07-31-2010, 08:25 AM
Number 7 is done and sent in! :D

Riff Raff
07-31-2010, 08:42 AM
Dan,

As always, these threads are the highlight of my week! It is great to see these reviews! You guys are doing great!

Bill

jimmyk26
07-31-2010, 06:27 PM
7 is in for me as well! Only 3 left, this is going faster than I thought it would.

DBall
08-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Sorry about the delay... been a bad couple weeks...

DBall
08-10-2010, 10:58 AM
jimmyk26 Cigar #7

Here is round #7

Initial impressions - Another long and skinny cigar, this stick measures 6" x 28 and is wrapped with a medium brown leaf that shows a few veins and has a couple imperfections and discolorations. To the touch, it appears well constructed with only one slight soft spot and a slight indentation that shadows the band that was once there. The cap is so well applied that it is hard to make out the three layers. Not a beautiful cigar. The wrapper smells of dark chocolate and sweet tobacco while the foot presents an aroma of hay. The pre-light draw is easy with only a slight hint of hay left on the palate.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%207/IMG_1819.jpg

Initial puffs - There are rich coffee, chocolate and wood flavors in the first few puffs, with a pepper spice running through the nose. There was a little run away burn that seems to be correcting itself.

1/3 - Wow this is smoking quickly. The rich flavors carry right on through into the first third picking up a bit of sweetness and creaminess. Now the burn line has pretty much corrected itself. The ash is droping every quarter inch or so, probably due to the windy conditions were I am smoking right now. Rich chocolate and earth coating my palate and the spice is nice and strong through the nose.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%207/IMG_1825.jpg

2/3 - It is almost hard to keep up with the thirds of this cigar because it is smoking more quickly than I am used to. The tip did develop a little bit of tar which I cut off, this doesn't seem to have affected the cigar and I'll try to smoke this a bit slower for the rest of the review. For its size, this cigar has been smoking exceptionally well with a surprising amount of smoke for its ring gauge. While the earth and chocolate have remained steadily since the beginning of the cigar, it has picked up a bit of hazelnut and wood on the finish which seems to linger quite a while. I have struggled a bit with keeping this cigar lit, it seems that if I put the cigar down to type it goes out. It has relit easily and has picked up right where it left off each time.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%207/IMG_1827.jpg

3/3 - For just a brief bit, the cigar presented a slight metallic taste that seemed out of place. It left quickly and doesn't seem to be coming back. Otherwise, this is cigar has been very consistent from start to finish. A smooth easy draw with rich earth and chocolate flavors that linger on the palate, it has a nice bit of sweetness. Other than the need for attention and relights, this cigar has burnt evenly and smoked very well. The wood and pepper spice through the nose have started to linger on the palate. After the spice became more pronounced the cigar started to get a bit bitter and the flavors faded.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%207/IMG_1832-1.jpg

Final thoughts - Although this cigar wasn't overly complex, the earth, chocolate, wood, and spice flavors were quite enjoyable. This makes me wonder if the complexity of the smaller ring gauge cigars have limited potential due to the fewer leafs that make up the cigar. Surprisingly thick and rich smoke indicated that this cigar was well constructed and made for a very nice, if short, smoking experience. I think that I wouldn't have had to relight the cigar so much if I wasn't doing the review. I would definitely smoke more of these if I had the chance, but I think that this cigar lacked the complexity to be a great cigar.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%207/IMG_1842-1.jpg

Rating: 8.9 - A good cigar that had an enjoyable, straight forward flavor profile.

DBall
08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Brutus2600 Cigar #7

I woke up nice and early this morning before the heat and the noise of the day. Made a pot of coffee, got everything all situated, and went to go grab DBall's 7th cigar to review. As I was taking it out of the numbered five finger baggy, I made the sad realization that there are only 3 cigars left after this! However, after that, I made the exciting realization that I was still going to get to experience 3 more great cigars!

Upon initial inspection this cigar looks to be about 6 x 32. The construction is only slightly rough, I wouldn't say the wrapper is bad, nor would I say it was perfect either. It is nice and firm without any soft spots, and has nice triple cap on it, and I think I see a little plume as well.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/4846498088_46f31daa87_b.jpg

Initial Light 7:40 - The prelight draw brings the taste of sweet tobacco and is a little loose. Toasted the foot, lit the cigar, and off we go! The first draw brought a little spice, hints of cream, and produced big beautiful amounts of white smoke.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/4845877753_381379e9ed_b.jpg

First Third - The initial spice I tasted is now developing into a more peppery taste that hits me on the back of my tongue. I'm also picking up hints of leather and another prominent flavor that I can't pin down. The ash is a dark gray with white streaks, and only holds on for about a half an inch. There is this...soured? Almost bitter flavor that purging isn't getting rid of. It's almost like food on the verge of going bad. Very strange and haven't had that in a cigar before. Thank goodness that seems to be fading though.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4111/4846498166_1ed9769eca_b.jpg

Second Third 8:05 - The bitterness is completely gone by now. The burn is fantastic, not what I've come to expect from this RG. It's even staying lit and hasn't required any touch ups. This cigar has been overall very mild, flavors being almost hard to discern. I'm still picking up minor hints of leather and grassy notes however.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/4846498194_177b329d6c_b.jpg

Final Third 8:35 - I got distracted and let the cigar go out. After a relight it's right back to it's mild mannered self again. I guess that's kind of telling about this stick. While good, it doesn't captivate me like other cigars do. The wrapper is a little loose around the last part and has created a slightly uneven burn, but nothing significant.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/4845877853_d68e355c7b_b.jpg

Finish time 8:52 - While this stick wasn't exciting, that's not a bad thing, it just makes this mild stick a great early morning smoke. As Jimmy stated earlier in this thread, this whole experience has really changed my perspective on RG sizes, and I've come to appreciate the smaller RG significantly. Something this size is almost more comfortable to me now than a 50+ RG stick. While I'm not sure if I'd actively seek this cigar out again, it is something I could see myself enjoying if I found a good deal on them.

Appearance and construction: 1.3 out of 1.5
Burn: 2.8 out of 3
Overall flavor: 2.5 out of 4

8.1 out of 10

Montano
08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
I had the pleasure of herfin' with James (jimmyk26) this past weekend, we had lots of laughs and lots of smokes. I was in the last round of the NBTT, so we were talking about how incredibly generous Dan has been !!

DBall
08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3-07.jpg

2002 La Gloria Cubana MdO#4

jimmyk26 score: 8.9
Brutus2600 score: 8.1

I love these smokes... bought a ton of boxes when they were around and seem to be running out at an alarming rate. Still one of my all time favorites, though. :tu

Editing to mention that I'm not as huge a fan of this particular box as I have been of others... not too sure why... maybe the roller was having an off day.

Brutus2600
08-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Sorry to hear it's been a rough couple of weeks Dan...no worries on the delay.

First cigar that's matched up with my lighter :D hehe.

Thanks again Dan, this has been a blast so far. Look for review 8 this weekend -(P

DBall
08-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Sorry to hear it's been a rough couple of weeks Dan...no worries on the delay.

First cigar that's matched up with my lighter :D hehe.

Thanks again Dan, this has been a blast so far. Look for review 8 this weekend -(P

Dude... that lighter is incredibly cool... LGC is probably my favorite cuban marca.

You guys are almost done... can't wait to see the last 3!

macsauce13
08-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Wow great reviews fellas! The different experiences are so interesting! After the first one I wanted to go find some of these asap, and then the second review calmed me back down. :r

Nice work guys!

Brutus2600
08-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Review #8 incoming in about 30 minutes :)

jimmyk26
08-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Yep, #8 is in...this is almost going too quickly.

DBall
08-17-2010, 05:18 PM
jimmyk26 Cigar #8

Initial inspection - This cigar is roughly 6"x 43, another 'big' cigar in this tasting flight. The first thing I notice about this cigar is the peanut butter smell off of the wrapper, it's as if I just opened up a two pack of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. As I continue smelling, there is also a slight sweet tobacco scent behind the peanut butter. From the foot I am getting more sweet tobacco and cinnamon. The wrapper has a slightly toothy texture and light brown color; it is a great looking wrapper with very few veins. It also has a great triple cap, it almost looks like a quadruple cap (has that ever been done?). I can detect no soft spots so it seems to be well constructed. The pre light draw is easy and there is cinnamon and spice on the palate.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%208/IMG_1846.jpg

Initial puffs - There is a rich burnt wood with a strong pepper spice right away. After the initial blast of flavor, the cigar picks up a slight sweetness that seems to linger. The smoke is easy drawing and rich.

1/3 - This first third is spicy and woody with a lingering earth and leather. Surprisingly the draw is the loosest draw of the whole tasting flight, which makes me slightly concerned about how it will perform throughout. The burn has been uneven and the ash is fragile. There is a slight spice and sweetness through the nose that makes me think of those peanut butter cups again. The as soon as the smoke hit my palate, the flavor explodes with spicy, earthy, grassy richness. The burn has also evened out.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%208/IMG_1854.jpg

2/3 - The second third starts off with rich tangy spice that is just fantastic, yep I think I just got giddy about this cigar <insert big smile on my face>. It is hard to pull out the exact flavors that make up the expereince, but there is a wood spice coupled with a slight chocolate and peanut sweetness that makes way for a slight lingering grassiness. The burn is has stayed pretty even and the ash seems to fall off every 1/2' or so. There is even a bit of caramel sweetness on the finish. The cigar is fabulous right now.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%208/IMG_1859.jpg

3/3 - The spice has settled down a bit in on the palate, but it is still part of the profile. To use a term from Coffee tasting, I would describe this cigar as bright with poignant flavors. Leather has now made itself known. The ash still seems to be weak and falls off with out much warning. Also of note, it has been pretty windy out today so I have had to do some lighter touch ups, but it didn't seem to affect the flavors or the smoking experience. There is even a bit of a metallic taste that isn't bad but rather enhances the whole complex set of flavors. This cigar continues to deliver powerful and complex flavors all the way to the bittersweet end.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%208/IMG_1862.jpg

Final thoughts - ...mmm....
Well that pretty much sums it up. I felt like this cigar was almost out of my league, I could pick out the flavor profiles, but there was so much complexity that I am not sure I got everything. Not that I couldn't pick out all of the flavors given more time and cigars, but rather this cigar makes me realize that I still have a lot of work to do to improve my palate. It was a flavor experience that I don't think I have ever had before in a cigar. Start to finish there was rich spice, earth, and sweetness. The only small issue was the easy draw, I would have preferred it slightly firmer. Considering how fantastic the rest of the cigar was, the draw wasn't even really a problem.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%208/IMG_1864.jpg

Rating: 9.9 - I don't know if I could rate a cigar higher.

DBall
08-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Brutus2600 Cigar #8

Upon initial inspection this cigar looks to be about 6 x 42. The construction is very nice, beautiful smooth wrapper, triple capped, no major veins, and as with most of Dan's other cigars, has some light plume.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4890496121_0c0be9d764_b.jpg

Initial light 8: 25 - The prelight draw plays the taste of sweet tobacco with a hint of raisins over my tongue. It's a little tight, but as with my previous experiences, I'm not too worried because they usually open up. Having some draw problems, my first draw doesn't bring too much smoke, but the cigar is flavorful from the beginning, bringing to my attention hints of vanilla, hay, and nuts.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4891094330_42b4e1f599_b.jpg

First Third - What smoke I can get is creamy, smooth, and flavorful. I'm getting caramel notes, along with the nutty flavors before. There is virtually no spice or pepper notes on this cigar, it's mild, smooth, and definitely has good flavor. The ash is a nice white/gray, with a very even and sharp burn line. Attempting to massage the cigar a little bit to open up the draw, I feel what appears to be a pretty significant stem that isn't visible, but you can definitely feel it. I'm worried this might be the draw problem, which means I'll have that throughout

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4891094300_0f45994226_b.jpg

Second Third 9:02 - I think the cigar is finally opening up, or at least is opening up enough that I don't have to draw so hard my cheeks hurt. The ash is pretty consistently dropping every 3/4"-1". I'm still getting creamy smoke, with hints of toffee thrown in there on top of the nutty flavors of before. While the good flavors in this cigar aren't screaming in my face, the whispers of toffee there, or caramel here, are really making this cigar enjoyable despite the draw issues towards the beginning. On a side note, I just purged because the cigar was getting a little bitter, and I got a HORRIBLE aroma that smelled exactly skunk. I hope that doesn't return!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/4890496031_0643362ff6_b.jpg

Final Third 9:33 - Unfortunately I'm still getting some strong skunk overtones. Not all the time, just occasionally, which being a surprise makes it that much worse. I think it's done doing that now, but for a few minutes there it was quite unpleasant. Unfortunately, the flavor bouquet that I was enjoying so much has seem to all but have disappeared. It's not bitter, or bad flavored, but on the other hand there aren't any flavors to write home (or CA) about either. For all intents and purposes it appears this cigar has flat lined. I guess if a cigar is going to do that however, better the last part than the beginning!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4095/4891094204_2f0f230e27_b.jpg

Finish Time 10:05 - While the draw was an issue at the beginning, the cigar was a flavor bomb that made any draw issues immaterial. Burn was phenomenal, I didn't have to touch up or relight this cigar at all. With the draw opening up after the first third it really seemed like this cigar was going to finish strong and become a highlight of my weekend, however with the veritable spray in the face by a skunk and the subsequent disappearance of any flavor, it left me wishing I could've just smoked the first half of the cigar twice. Still, I do take into account that it WAS an enjoyable smoke at the beginning, so I can't let the final impression of the cigar sully my entire experience.

Appearance and construction: 1.2 out of 1.5 (pts off for draw issues/major stem)
Burn: 3 out of 3
Overall flavor: 2.6 out of 4 (full pts for the first 2/3rds, no pts for the final 1/3rd)

Total: 8.3 out of 10

DBall
08-17-2010, 05:21 PM
What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3-08.jpg

2000 Hoyo des Dieux

jimmyk26 score: 9.9
Brutus2600 score: 8.3

Wow... what a difference in scores. These came out of the same box and were side by side.

jimmyk26
08-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah, there are a big differences in our reviews! What do you think about these Dan?

DBall
08-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah, there are a big differences in our reviews! What do you think about these Dan?

Well... I love the 99-01 hoyos... this one is probably my least favorite vitola, however. After your review, though, I may need to revisit it. :)

jimmyk26
08-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Well... I love the 99-01 hoyos... this one is probably my least favorite vitola, however. After your review, though, I may need to revisit it. :)
Awesome, my sample definitely warrants a revisit!

Brutus2600
08-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Hah, I'd love to revisit this as well...I think that between draw issues and that horrid skunk smell then the flavor flatline...I don't know. I just don't feel like I smoked the same cigar Jimmy did, despite them coming from the same box.

Two more left and I'm getting pretty excited :) This has been a phenominal experience so far for sure.

DBall
08-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Now I have to start the process of deciding if I do another round... I'm already 60 cigars in! That said, these have been some of my favorite threads... more than worth the cigars, especially with such awesome reviews.

Hell... I even learned something. The first round of newbs bombed the piss out of me... hit me with a Palio. Being a lifelong XiKar user but always wanting to try a Palio, I was stoked. Now, I find myself reaching for the Palio much more often.

Damn newbs converted me (thanks again, guys!)

Brutus2600
08-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Number 9 is in! Only one more left :sad

DBall
08-30-2010, 08:47 AM
jimmyk26 Cigar #9

Initial inspection - The first thing I notice on this cigar is the smooth oily wrapper, which is dark and shows only a few veins and dark spots. When I inspect it close up, I do notice two small tears, but I don't think that they'll be a problem. As I admire the nice sheen of the wrapper of this 5.5" x 40 cigar, I confirm that the cigar is evenly packed, has a nice box pressed shape, and is topped with a clean triple cap. The wrapper has a light cinnamon, leather and sweet tobacco smell and the foot offers up a hay and tobacco aroma. The pre light draw is a bit tight and leaves a slight dry tea flavor on the palate.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%209/IMG_1871.jpg

Initial puffs - Although the cigar is drawing pretty poorly, I am still getting burnt wood, dark sweet coffee, and earth.

1/3 - The cigar starts out rich and smooth with tastes of roasted barley, like the dark malts used in beer making, and dry wood. The cigar continues to suffer from a poor draw; it isn't what I would call plugged, but it is hard to pull enough smoke to get a good mouth full. As this first third progresses, the wood has really come through and brought with it a grassy twang that I am starting to recognize as a characteristic of this tasting flight. The burn line has stayed even and the ash seems to be holding well.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%209/IMG_1875.jpg

2/3 - As I am starting the second section the burn line has wandered a bit. I think it may be due to the first of the two small tears that I saw in the initial inspection. The flavors continue to preset rich roasted barley, wood, dry cocoa, and a slight grass. It's too bad that the draw continues to be sub par. The burn line seems to be evening out, but the ash doesn't want to hang on any more. As this section is closing out, I taste a bit of nutmeg and very slight wood spice entering the mix.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%209/IMG_1880.jpg

3/3 - So far this cigar has been pretty consistent with its flavors and the beginning of the final section is no different. Rich and smooth, this cigar has presented enjoyable flavors considering the tighter draw and the cracks that seem to wreck the otherwise consistent burn. I had to touch up the burn with the lighter once, but it doesn't seem to be a consistent issue. As I get in to this finals section, the cigar has picked up a tannic and vegetal flavor that I think indicates it could benefit from some more aging. The cigar also got bitter as it burned through the bigger of the two cracks, but I am attributing the bitterness to the crack no the natural flavors of the cigar. As I suspected after the cigar burned through the crack it was back to roasted barley, wood, and even some leather. As the cigar comes to a close it is presenting a pretty complex and enjoyable profile that includes the best of the first two thirds and some new tastes such as leather, nutmeg, and wood spice.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%209/IMG_1887.jpg

Final thoughts - Despite the poor draw, I did enjoy the rich and smooth flavors this cigar had to offer. It brought me back to my home brewing days with all of the dark roasted barley I was tasting. For those of you who haven't brewed before, the roasted barley can present a slight sweetness with coffee, chocolate, and cereal flavors. I would definitely try more of these to see if the draw issue was just an occasional issue. The end of the cigar also presented a much more complex and varied experience, I think that maybe with more age this rest of the cigar could be more like the last section.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%209/IMG_1894.jpg

Rating: 8.5 - Rich and smooth, this cigar did suffer from a tight draw, but that didn't take away from the nice flavors.

DBall
08-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Brutus2600 Cigar #9

Next to last cigar! I can't say anymore lest I get emotional

This cigar looks to be about 5.5 x 40 (box press?). It has a few minor veins, triple cap, and a nice smooth wrapper. It looks like during the de-banding, it lost a little bit of the wrapper, which I'm hoping doesn't affect the draw.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/4913894622_a947b780c3_b.jpg

Initial Light 8:15 - The prelight draw is a VERY strong taste of sweet tobacco, with hints of raisins, caramel, a bit of hay. The draw is smooth, not overly tight, but I think the last cigar I'm going to keep at a lower RH than I have previously, since draw has been somewhat of an issue the last couple cigars. After a toast and a light, my first draw brings hints of cinnamon, nuts, and caramel.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/4913894660_1768678ac9_b.jpg

First Third - So far within the first few draws, I can tell I'm going to really enjoy this cigar. It's smooth, draws well, has flavorful smoke, and is holding promise to be a really good cigar. The ash is a dark gray/black and seems to be holding together nicely. I'm still getting the nutty aroma while the cinnamon and caramel have faded. The wrapper is very delicate, having seen the hole from the band being taken off, and just my lips sticking to the wrapper a little bit tore it just above the cap, but not too bad. I managed to get a picture of the ash without it dropping, then ashed it myself at about one inch, definitely adding to the points for construction. The burn line isn't razor thin, but it's even and hasn't needed any touch ups.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4913291601_ea2563e978_b.jpg

Second Third 8:49 - This has been a nice slow smoke. The smoke has stayed smooth and has developed sweetish (not Swedish) overtones. I still taste the nutty flavor, but coffee and caramel notes have snuck into the mix as well. Subtle, but still noticeable. It's hard to describe...but while this cigar is mild and anything but bold, the smoke seems heavy. Not the airy light smoke some other cigars produce. I hope this makes sense, I feel silly typing it up

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4913894742_8c5762a932_b.jpg

Final Third 9:16 - While I was hoping it wouldn't, the cigar just completely unwrapped when it hit the tear from the band. I wanted to nub this cigar, because it's been pretty awesome so far, but I'll see how much more I can smoke. The flavor profile has been pretty consistent, which is to say good! And until it unraveled, the burn was great.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4073/4913894772_90c3ed74d7_b.jpg

Finish time 9:30 - I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar, with great flavors from caramel to cinnamon, great draw, thick enjoyable smoke, and solid construction that allowed for a good burn and solid ash throughout the cigar. I'd love to smoke another one of these some time, and would add these to the future list of cigars I'd like to buy a box of some day. The unraveling at the end wasn't the cigars fault so much as an adverse effect of removing the band (which I understand was a necessity), so I can't knock any points off for that.

Overall flavor: 3.7 out of 4

Total: 9.4 out of 10

DBall
08-30-2010, 08:54 AM
What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3-09-2.jpg

1999 Vegas Robaina Familiar

jimmyk26 score: 8.5
Brutus2600 score: 9.4

Sometimes these suffer from tight draws, but when they are on, they are ON!

One more left, guys.

cigarz
09-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Another great review guys. I am sure you are sad to be staring at the final stick :(

Mike

jimmyk26
09-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Alas, number 10 is in.

Brutus2600
09-04-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm burning 10 tomorrow morning :(

DBall
09-05-2010, 06:49 AM
I'm burning 10 tomorrow morning :(

Almost done, guys...

Brutus2600
09-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Review 10 is in and I'm sad! Lol :sad

DBall
09-05-2010, 02:50 PM
I wonder if you guys (and bystanders) are gonna be as surprised as I am about the last reviews

Mikepd
09-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Lets see it then Dan.

DBall
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
jimmyk26 Cigar #10

Blind Tasting #10:

Initial impressions - As I pull this cigar out of the bag, I notice a few tears in the wrapper: two near the band area and one around the middle of the cigar. I Grabbed my pectin and did a quick fix on the tear near the middle, this should correct any issues that that tear would cause. I left the other two alone because they didn't look like they would be a problem. Beyond these wrapper issues, the cigar has a nice brown wrapper that is smooth and doesn't show many veins. Construction seems even and I can feel no soft spots. When I bring the 5.5" x 32 cigar up to my nose I smell granola and cinnamon from the wrapper and a very sweet tobacco scent from the foot. The pre light draw is easy and leaves just a light hay flavor on my palate.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%2010/IMG_1903.jpg

Initial puffs - There is a burst of burnt wood and dark cocoa sweetness that quickly transitions into a slightly bitter coffee and wood. The cigar is drawing easy and the smoke is plentiful, I just need to draw slowly so as not to burn the cigar too quickly.

1/3 - This first section is dominated by the wood and bitter coffee that I tasted initially. Despite the burn line being slightly askew, the ash holds for 3/4". The most remarkable aspect of this cigar so far is the very easy draw, with just a little bit of puffing power I get plenty of smoke.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%2010/IMG_1908.jpg

2/3 - As the second third begins, there is a slight transition from the wood and bitter coffee to a grass and cereal with a very light honey note on the finish. The ash continues to hold well and the burn line has straightened out. There isn't much to report on the flavors at this point, I am glad that the cigar has transitioned away from the bitter coffee notes. As this third comes to a close there is a light toffee flavor that is followed by the return of the bitter flavor. This time it comes in with a grassy note to it.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%2010/IMG_1915.jpg

3/3 - At this point I am just wishing that the bitterness would subside, because it is making the cigar difficult to enjoy. I think that the draw is too easy and it is probably causing the harsh flavor. Drawing very slowly to try and counteract the loose draw doesn't seem to help either. Interestingly, I did pick up a very faint banana bread flavor at the beginning of this final third. It didn't last long though. As I approach the end, the cigar is burning pretty hot and I am not getting anything other than heat and bitterness on my palate. I am going to have to put this one down much earlier than I expected.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%2010/IMG_1918.jpg

Final thoughts - Well I don't think that this cigar is going to get a fair rating from me due the loose draw that likely lead to lots of bitter flavors through out the smoking experience. There were some hints of good flavors including cocoa, honey, toffee, and banana bread which leads me to believe that if this cigar was smoking better it might have had a complex and varied flavor profile. Alas, this cigar didn't live up to that potential.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww241/jkrejcarek/DBall%20Blind%2010/IMG_1921.jpg

Rating: 5.5 - It had a loose draw, bitter flavors, and only hints of goodness.

DBall
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Brutus2600 Cigar #10

This being my last cigar, I'd just like to stop and take a second to thank Dan for this amazing opportunity. I've learned so much about Habanos and more about even myself as a cigar smoker in general. So, having said that, here's my final DBall blind review...

Cigar number 10

This cigar is about 5.5 x 36, has a silky smooth wrapper with light plume on it. The construction is good, with no soft spots and no major veins.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/4960707705_41a5bd2b38_b.jpg

Initial Light 1:19 - The prelight draw leaves a bouquet of flavors, leaving me tasting chocolate, coffee, and caramel. It draws a bit tight, but not overly so as some previous cigars. The initial light brings the taste of more coffee and caramel, although there is very little smoke.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/4961303242_08d46df27b_b.jpg

First Third - This cigar is very enjoyable so far, minus the minimal draw making it hard to get any significant smoke. I'm continuing to get hints of coffee, but also a nutty aroma that's almost almond-esque. The smoke is smooth and creamy. The burn, while having started off a little crooked (probably my fault), has corrected itself almost perfectly. The ash is holding on nicely at almost one inch, and for such a small RG cigar, that's nice to see!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4960706339_32d2a134af_b.jpg

Second Third 1:39 - The cigar has opened up a lot more, the smoke is still creamy, and I'm still getting that nutty almond flavor, although the coffee has faded. Light cinnamon notes have started to develop, although they are very subtle. The burn has stayed consistent, ash is a beautiful gray/white, and the delicate wrapper has mostly stayed together except for a small part near the end, which I hope won't end like last time!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/4961301508_84e3cae3cd_b.jpg

Final Third 1:57 - This has been a fairly consistent cigar, not too much development or decline, so I'm still enjoying the same flavors as previous. The cigar has unraveled yet, so I'm hopeful I can nub this cigar like I'm intending to! Not having smoked this cigar fast, but at a fairly relaxed rate, I'm kind of surprised that it's gone so quickly.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/4961300738_a7ef77d46c_b.jpg

Finish time 2:10 - I enjoyed this cigar, but it wasn't one of my favorites of this blind review series. I'm glad it was a good cigar though, because ending with something that wasn't enjoyable would've been, well, sad, lol. Nothing about this cigar screamed "awesomeness" in my face, it was like taking a leisurely Sunday drive down a straight road, not a lot of change, but good and enjoyable nonetheless.

Smoke and ash: 1.3 out of 1.5
Overall flavor: 3.5 out of 4

Total: 9 out of 10

DBall
09-07-2010, 05:41 PM
What they smoked:

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/BTT3-10.jpg

1998 Partagas Charlotte

jimmyk26 score: 5.5
Brutus2600 score: 9.0

What a surprise... this is a box of cigars I hide from myself because they are SO FRIGGIN' AWESOME. I'm astonished that James disliked it as much as he did. Think of it this way, you don't have to be like everyone else who is searching for them like mad men...

jimmyk26
09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Ha, that's funny because I smoked a Charlotte last night that was gifted to me and liked it. I didn't love it though.

Thanks for such an amazing experience!

DBall
09-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Ha, that's funny because I smoked a Charlotte last night that was gifted to me and liked it. I didn't love it though.

Thanks for such an amazing experience!

Consider yourself lucky, then... :)

Brutus2600
09-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Huh, well I liked it, but it kind looks like James got a bad one *shrug*

Thanks again Dan :) What an interesting journey and experience this has been...a very solid collection of cigars that we were able to try! :tu

DBall
09-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Thanks again Dan :) What an interesting journey and experience this has been...a very solid collection of cigars that we were able to try! :tu

Glad you guys enjoyed it so much... I had a blast watching you go through them.

Anything specifically you feel you learned or gained throughout the experience, guys?

jimmyk26
09-07-2010, 08:37 PM
First of all, I think I got a lot better at reviewing cigars. I am excited to continue reviewing and posting, I find it fun and satisfying.

With regards to the cigars themselves I am surprised at how often I have been going back and re-reading my reviews. I found that this is the first time that I stopped really noticing the strength of the cigars and really focused on the flavors and smoking experience.

Honestly I think that I'll be reaping the benefits of this experience for quite a while.

Brutus2600
09-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I think I've learned and gained a few very useful things from this experience for sure.

First would be experience reviewing cigars. I specifically remember the first cigar or two that I sat down and reviewed. It was hard for me to pull out certain flavors and identify them. After getting to sit down and review 10 cigars blind with no other reviews telling me what to try to identify and taste, I was forced to learn to pick the flavors out. This has definitely bled over into my everyday cigar smoking experience and enhanced it more than I ever could've expected.

The second thing is experience with CC's. Previous to this I had not had the opportunity to try a Cuban cigar, so getting to smoke 10 of them while forced to identify flavors while I'm reviewing them was a unique experience. It allowed me get to experience the CC flavor profiles in a way I otherwise would not have gotten to and directly compare them to the NC's that I usually smoke. Cuban cigars are like a heavily advertised product on TV. We're told they're so awesome and all you want to do is try one, and when you finally get to, most people would respond "Man! that was an amazing Cuban cigar!" simply for the fact that it was a Cuban cigar. Tasting the cigars the way I did allowed me to know and understand WHY some Cuban cigars are great and WHAT makes them great instead of just liking them because they are from a specific country.

The third thing I learned is generosity. I know, what does generosity have to do with reviewing cigars? Well, Dan's blind taste package was the first "bomb" so to speak, I received from a CA member since I had joined the forum a couple months prior. What was this forum where people were gladly giving away cigars left and right? I'd read about the bombs being dropped before I got these cigars, but it's different when you're on the actual receiving end. Since then, I've come to realize what a generous and giving group of people this is, and have tried not only to PIF on this forum, but in other places of my life too, and that has been a more rewarding experience than being given and trying any number of cigars. I know this sounds cheesy, but it's 100% genuine and I'm definitely grateful to Dan and the rest of the forum for this :tu

Brutus2600
09-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I was posting a reply elsewhere and realized just now, one of the biggest change in my smoking habits that this BTT has caused, is the RG of my cigar. Before I almost exclusively smoked 50+ RG cigars. Now, I'd say the majority of my cigars are less than 50RG, and anything 45+ feels big :r

DBall
09-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Well... thread number 3 done.

Gotta debate whether I'll do another one. Updates to come at some point...

DBall
09-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Just posting another quick thank you for the awesomely incredible bombs both of these fine gentlemen pummeled me with.

Brutus2600:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36385

jimmyk26:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36304

Thank you guys so much for dedicating your time and pictures into the third installment of this experiment. I, for one, think it was a smashing success!

RightAJ
09-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Great thread! Just read through it catching up on the last few I missed... There were some seriously good sticks in there- RASCCs and Mag 46s are some of my favs :)

Thanx for another great installment Dan!!!

aj

hammondc
09-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Wow....amazing thread. I read through it all. Too bad I am in a non-smoking hotel room. Dammit.

DBall
09-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Wow....amazing thread. I read through it all. Too bad I am in a non-smoking hotel room. Dammit.

Did ya check out the previous two as well? Good reading there, also... :)

(links on the first post)

RustyShackleford
09-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Great reviews guys!

I love reading blind tasting reviews because I feel a more honest opinion because it is harder for the review to go in with preconceived notions.

TrickNick
09-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Did ya check out the previous two as well? Good reading there, also... :)

(links on the first post)

I just read through this one myself. Great threat. I didn't know there were previous ones. I'll have to check those out tonight.