PDA

View Full Version : Shipping cigars in the summer

Brutus2600
05-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Well, it's officially summer weather here in Texas. Our average summer day reaches the mid 90's, with some days pushing well above 100. How much should I worry about shipping cigars during this summer heat? I realize that they will ride on a hot truck for a couple days, and then quite possibly sit on my porch in the heat for a couple hours until I get home from work. One alternative I was considering was having them shipped to work, however that still leaves the ride on a hot truck.

I haven't had any experience with shipping cigars in summer yet (just always bought at my B&M until recently), so I just thought I would pick your brains since I'm sure somebody here has run into this and would know how big of an issue it is.

Thanks! :tu

kelmac07
05-30-2010, 12:35 PM
If you are sending...throw in a water pillow and they should be fine. Reputable dealers pracrice this method in the summer months.

MiamiE
05-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Only solution is Express shipping or a PO box.

acruce
05-30-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't worry to much about it.I just freeze them for a few days once I get them. I just placed an order on the 25th just waiting on them to ship.

DonnieW
05-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't worry to much about it.I just freeze them for a few days once I get them.

+1

Cigary
05-30-2010, 02:33 PM
It's always good form to send cigars with some sort of humidification device esp. in the warm months. When I receive any I always put them in their own 25 count humidor to seperate them from the general population so I can keep an eye on them for "stuff" and then after a month they go into general population. Cigars being in transit on hot days tend to diminish the over quality and it needs at least a few weeks to get them back to normal smokability IMO.

T.G
05-30-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't worry to much about it.I just freeze them for a few days once I get them. I just placed an order on the 25th just waiting on them to ship.

Yep.

Cigars are a lot tougher than they get credit for, especially when in cello, a zip lock bag, or in a box wrapped in cello or plastic, or any combination of the aforementioned. Just freeze them if you're worried about beetles, other than that, they'll should be fine.

ama
05-30-2010, 05:10 PM
That second humidor idea is a good one. Thanks!

neoflex
05-30-2010, 05:38 PM
I usually try to stock up in the cooler months to avoid having to have cigars shipped in the heat as I am still out on whether freezing has a negative effect on them. When I do feel the urge to pull the trigger on something in the summer or receive trades etc I to keep a separate humidor to act as a qurantine.

cort
05-30-2010, 05:48 PM
I just smoke those sumb!tches right when I get them.;)

md4958
05-30-2010, 06:37 PM
I have had an issue with a 5 packed shipped from a vendor where the cigars exploded in their packaging. They had been left on my stoop all day in the baking sun.

I now have everything shipped to my office where there is always somebody there to receive them.

Brutus2600
05-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I wasn't worried about beetles so much as the cigars exploding, I do keep the cigars quarantined, so I was just more worried about the extreme temperature changes. Looks like I'll be having them shipped to my work, haha :)

Thanks for the advice guys!

aich75013
05-30-2010, 10:23 PM
I've had a few packages shipped during the hot Texas summers. No issues so far. My wife normally brings them in fairly quickly so they have never sat out on the porch long though. Plus the carriers normally place them kind of hidden on my porch (behind one of our columns) so the package doesn't disappear. It also provides a little shade.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chemyst
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM
First, I try NOT to buy/trade through the mail during the summer.
If you do, make sure your purchase is shipped so that it doesn't
sit at the Post Office over the weekend. I worked at a USPS
Priority DC, and sometimes trailers sit in the sun/heat all weekend,
until the packages are processed on Sunday night for Monday
delivery.

Second, don't worry about beetles too much. The high temps in
the DR are upper 80s in the summer, so I figure I'm good up to
around 80, for the most part. So far, so good.(4 yrs.) Freezing
cigars seemed OK, if you worry about bugs. Do it right, though.

Third, the high temps in Texas are unfit for man and beast in
the summer. Even as late as the State Fair/Texas v. OK football
game I wouldn't ship anything organic, even cigars. IIRC, the
lows at night are consistently above 80, during the summer months.

IMHO, stock up before May, and buy from the local B&M as needed.
Then around Halloween it's OK to have smokes shipped, again.

JMHO

Chemyst :cool2:

cigarlvr
06-02-2010, 05:00 AM
I only ship overnight in the hot months just not worth it to me if I order from the west coast to have to wait a week or longer and risk them being out of the proper hunidity as well as temp.

Skywalker
06-02-2010, 07:14 AM
I just smoke those sumb!tches right when I get them.;)

I'm with you Gary!!!

I like smokin' hot cigars!!!:ss

:r:r:r

Adriftpanda
06-02-2010, 11:36 AM
I hear you can't ship in the winter either since it's too cold.

1badhog07
06-02-2010, 02:26 PM
i order them all through the year,i dont worry about it.. and believe me it gets hot down here,we are already hitting 100 deg weather..

mithrilG60
06-02-2010, 03:33 PM
That second humidor idea is a good one. Thanks!

No it's not, because soon that second "quarantine" humidor will be filled with regular cigars and you'll be looking for a 3rd.... then a 4th..... etc ;)

The Poet
06-02-2010, 03:41 PM
How much should I worry about shipping cigars during this summer heat?

Simple solution, brother . . . have them all shipped to a northern address.

Like, say, New Jersey. :D

theonlybear4CORT
06-02-2010, 06:35 PM
I hear you can't ship in the winter either since it's too cold.

:r I usually put my cigars in the oven *375 for 10 minutes and that brings them back to spring temperature.